Start by marking “Selling Out” as Want to Read:
Selling Out

Selling Out (Quantum Gravity #2)

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  1,339 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
Book two of the Quantum Gravity series sees Lila Black drawn into the intoxicatingly dangerous demon realm. Capricious, in love with beauty, demons are best left to themselves. This is not easy when they can't resist tampering with humans.

Justina Robson's new series is a joyful melding of science fiction and fantasy brought together in the figure of the dangerously lovely
Audiobook
Published February 27th 2009 by Audible Frontiers (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Selling Out, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Selling Out

Carol.
Jan 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jason Pettus
Mar 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(Reprinted from the Chicago Center for Literature and Photography [cclapcenter.com:]. I am the original author of this essay, as well as the owner of CCLaP; it is not being reprinted here illegally.)

So once again, it's time for me to pen a single essay concerning an entire series of genre books; because once again I'm tackling a combination of back-titles and a new title from our good friends at genre publisher Pyr, who earlier this year sent me an entire giant box full of cool-looking books mer
autumn
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i really loved this! the world-building and aesthetic was so rich and gorgeous and the characters were so much fun. about halfway through, though, the plot changed abruptly to something completely different and i dont feel like either plot was really resolved; but i always prefer characters and aesthetics over plot anyway so i really enjoyed it. this book was so much stronger than the first and im excited to read the next!
Guy
Mar 16, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
OK, there is now no doubt: Robson just can't write very well. Despite being disappointed by the first book in the series I was willing to give her another chance... but in my library it is two strikes and you are out. Strike two.
Shara
Dec 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Don't get me wrong, the book comes together in the end, despite the billions of maddening questions and unresolved subplots. But I enjoyed it. Emotionally, it resolved, even if events didn't. I still find myself confused as to particular details due to my reading of the text, but I'm not too upset, because I'm pretty certain Robson will explain them all (even if it is in a rather roundabout way) in the next book(s). Plus this is the kind of story I see myself sitting down and reading over again ...more
Cathy
3.5 stars. I like that the worlds got a lot more complex. It not quite the simple elves, demons, fairies anymore, there are lot more layers. Maybe a few too many layers, there are an awful lot of characters floating around but not a ton of character development. It isn't terrible at all, just not as rich as I'd like. Also, it doesn't quite connect emotionally as much as I'd like, which made me dock it about half a point. But I still like Lila a lot, and I like Zal more than I did in the last boo ...more
Michael Mcclelland
I'd hoped by Book 2 of this series that the heavy lifting (describing the multiverse, races and philosophies, development of the identities of and relationships between the main characters and the reader, etc) had been done, and that subsequent books would dwell more on an actual storyline. Alas, there are more worlds to know, more creatures to draw within our circle and only by book-end do we get a concrete and purposeful vision for the reader to hang their hat upon.

It's not easy-going for the
Neon Snake
Yeeeeah, I dunno. Glancing down at the other reviews, I see that lots of people have evidently enjoyed it. I think I was just struggling to concentrate and to take it in - I was listening on audio rather than reading, and for most of the book, I was finding myself without the faintest idea of what was going on or why. This is obviously fairly common with audios if I'm concentrating on driving, but usually the plot sinks in, or I'm invested enough to rewind to work out what I've missed. With this ...more
Jul 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well. Quite disappointed... Mehhh. Read the first part in 2015, after my surgery... I must've been pretty damn doped to think it was good. Somehow the world, the characters, the events all made me want to smack myself on the forehead with the book. Lightly entertaining here and there with some dialogue parts.
Karissa
This is the second book in the Quantum Gravity series by Justina Robson. I liked the first book really well, but I wasn't as impressed with this book. The plot was too hacked up, and the storylines that the different characters followed seemed unrelated. Despite that, the world is still really intriguing and the characters re-joined at the end of the book making me want to read more about them. I listened to this on audio book, and while the audio book was okay, it wasn't the greatest reading I' ...more
Lexie
Apr 18, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-once-owned
In Keeping it Real we met Lila, Miss Cyborg Protector of the Year and Zal, Mister Improbable Elf Rocker. Lila was to protect Zal, Zal just had to stay alive...it was pretty simple at first. So of course things had to go hairy real quick, causing all sorts of problems (not the least of which Lila reuniting with the Elf who messed up her body to begin with) and ending all sorts of problems.

Selling Out, the second book, at least grants the fact that Lila is getting a crappy job with little chance o
Literary George (For Your Literary Pleasure Blog)
Full review at For Your Literary Pleasure

I liked this more than the first. I think it was the demons and Daemonia. They were all fun, games and killing people. I loved the nuances on color that existed in their world and that they didn't worry themselves into knots. They love living life and this series needed a little more pizzazz to spice it up. I was intrigued by Teazle, he was obviously drawn to Lila and there was more explanation to their possible relationship in comparison to Zal. By that
Raj
Feb 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
The second in the Quantum Gravity sequence, six years after the Quantum Bomb has broken down the walls between realities, special agent Lila Black has returned from her first assignment to the Elven lands and is immediately sent to Hell, in more ways than one.

What I loved about the first book in this series, Keeping It Real, was the heroine. Lila is a wonderful character, and not just because she's a one-woman nuclear-powered army. She's a fully rounded person, trying to come to terms with the a
Nev Percy
Aug 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Justina Robson is on top form with this Lila Black series. Don't be put off by the genre-crossover 'pitch' of cyber-babe meets elves and fairies and magic and what-not -- it's really good stuff!

The writing is incredibly tight, and the various otherwordly goings-on are as lean as befits frantic action but have the internal consistency to suggest a really well thought out basis. In several places I've read through, breathless and only half-understanding what's occurring, but knowing that this is a
Brownbetty
Definitely not the sort of series where on can jump right in on the second book. Lots of different POV characters, no explanation of why you should care about them, and little indication that their stories will eventually tie together. Happily, I had read the previous book.

Continues to be decent, although the theme of this book seems to be that the protagonist avoids critical self-reflection and seeks life-threatening situations so that she needn't think about other things too much, and it times
Jacob Proffitt
Jan 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, audible
These books are distinctly Sci-Fi rather than Urban Fantasy, for all they include elves, demons, ghosts, etc. This is one case where the cover art enhances the contents by cueing you into the potential genre-misdirect—i.e. the cover screams Sci-Fi and that's all to the good.

This book probably deserved 3.5 rather than four stars. Though well-written and with deeply realized characters, it was more disjointed than the first book and included long diversions into alternate viewpoints. Still, I appr
Julia
The flip side of the Elves are the Demons, and it's an interesting to orient alongside Lila to this wide open culture. Perfect for a woman so repressed, the scar tissue is being torn from one than one of Lila's hidden wounds. Zal and Malachi are up to their own adventures, but truthfully, I am impatient every time the story takes me away from Lila.

Lila spiralsndown into her own Hell, and her crisis of soul has lessnto do with loathing her mechanised body (as in book one), as with facing the grea
Nicky
Apr 09, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is definitely a curl up with a cup of tea and ignore the real world book, it's so entirely fantastical. There are several strands joined together around the main cyborg chick Lila Black - Is she selling out or merely learning to love herself - bit of a cliche that one I guess, but engagingly done, with a trip into Demonia, hell and the underworld.

I think I was more interested in the circling characters and what Robson did with them - Zal, the elf of shadow/light, part demon, crossing over i
Kara-karina
Jan 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is a phrase to describe this sci-fi slash fantasy read: bat-shit crazy. If I could still follow book #1, this one had a lot of infodumps and incredibly detailed complex worlds. My head was spinning, but I still enjoyed Lila and Co. adventures. She is a secret agent and a cyborg falling for a dark elf/demon. What's not to love? Add a loyal fae friend, different dimensions and incredible vicious beauty of demon realms, and you have one mesmerizing pain in the butt of a book. Similar reads: n ...more
Yolanda Sfetsos
Selling Out is another action-packed, interesting book that expands on Lila's life, as we get a taste of her human side and the family she left behind, and she starts to understand a few truths about why she was really made/saved from death. The spirit of the elf she carries inside (Tath) becomes like an inner voice that both helps and frustrates her, and she even gets herself an imp companion.
Deirdre
Jan 06, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fromlibrary, sci-fi
Sometimes a bit confused this could have done with me revisiting the first book in the series to check on relationships and other issues.

Lila Black is a great character and in this story she ends up in the Demon Dimension. She;s still dealing with the issues brought about by her cyberwear and her new lifestyle and the men in her life.

I like this series and really will have to purchase copies for my own library.
Tal
cyborg meets fantasy.

it was ok - the world(s) are interesting, the heroine a little too angsty and oblivious, the ending is (relatively) happy.

*shrug* i'd read the next in the series, but i wouldnt actively look for it

edit: rereading in Sept 2011, i liked this book a lot more - i liked that the heroine was a fully 3d character (like the others) with her own agenda and rationalisations and blind spots.
Joanna
Oct 08, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Volume 2 is heaps better than volume 1, and by the end, it's almost all making sense. It's not really an urban fantasy/crossover/rough fantasy novel any more, more of a sci-fi thriller with fantasy elements.

Dare I risk volume 3? I can't decide ... maybe I will finish all the other books I have on hand, and see.

Margaret
Jan 04, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: only total geeks who like sci-fi
I ... well ... huh. I enjoyed both of these books despite the fact that I'm pretty sure I have no idea what happened in them. But I guess the good part about that is that the plot points and background story and all that jazz really weren't important. They're really all about cool characters and the interactions between them.

Not so bad.
Minna
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Henkilöt olivat tämänkin kirjan suola kuten sarjan ensimmäisenkin. Napakkaa dialogia ja purevaa huumoria. Mutta. Itse kirjan maailma tai pikemmin maailmat pursuivat tällä kertaa yli hilseen. Välillä en ihan oikeasti pysynyt menossa mukana ja se sai lukemisen ajoittain tökkimään. Toivotaan että kolmas osa olisi parempi ja hiukkasen hillitympi.
Perry
Mar 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Second book really knocked it out of the park.

Was a little worried about trucking on after the somewhat lackluster book 1 but this one definitely stepped it up a few notches.

Clever, inventive and at times inspired in the creation of the vibrant demonic culture, book 2 is definitely a fantastic read.
Carolyn F.
I'm so confused after finishing this book. What is really going on? And the artifact? Does it even exist? All these dimensions and the crazy talk just has my head spinning and I understand about half, maybe less. 2-1/2 stars just because I couldn't figure it out.
Molly
Mar 08, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very enjoyable series; a good blend of cyberpunk and fantasy. The characters are interesting, the premise is really compelling, and nothing is black or white. The writing is a tiny bit erratic but some of the passages are amazing. I highly recommend these books.
starwolvie
It did not catch my interest as much as the first book, and I was sort of willing myself to get to the end.

Saying that though, I will read the next book!

A light, easy quick read :)
Turi
May 09, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, that was a strong second book in a series. Just finished the first one, Keeping it Real. Very nice progression. Fairly gutsy writing, and I must say, I'm waiting for the third one now. Not sure if this is planned as a trilogy or what, but I'm going to read it out...
  • Code Noir (Parrish Plessis, #2)
  • Wolf Who Rules (Elfhome, #2)
  • The World Before (Wess'Har Wars, #3)
  • Wanton Fire (Horde Wars, #2)
  • The Trade of Queens (The Merchant Princes, #6)
  • Harmony
  • Pack of Lies (Paranormal Scene Investigations #2)
  • Hypérion 1
  • Voidfarer: A Tale of the Moonworlds Saga
  • City of Ruins (Diving Universe, #2)
  • Killswitch (Cassandra Kresnov, #3)
  • A World Too Near (Entire and the Rose, #2)
  • Killbox (Sirantha Jax, #4)
  • The Complete Ivory: Gate of Ivory, Two-Bit Heroes, Guilt Edged Ivory
Justina is from Leeds, a city in Yorkshire in the north of England. She always wanted to write and always did. Other things sometimes got in the way and sometimes still do...but not too much.
More about Justina Robson...

Quantum Gravity (5 books)
  • Keeping It Real (Quantum Gravity #1)
  • Going Under (Quantum Gravity #3)
  • Chasing the Dragon (Quantum Gravity #4)
  • Down to the Bone (Quantum Gravity #5)

“Max smiled, the smile of comfort, the one you give to someone who's made a big mistake and is suffering the consequences, the one that doesn't help but shows you understand.” 5 likes
“No duelling. No summoning of imps or other manifestations of elements potentially damaging to the records, including but not limited to: elementals, imps, sprites, ifrits, goblins, vile maidens, elohim, and major, minor and inferior spawn. No praying. No cursing, except by staff. The library is closed on public holidays. Donations welcome."
-Demonia Library”