Start by marking “World on Fire” as Want to Read:
World on Fire

World on Fire

3.53  ·  Rating details ·  77 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
When shy Cole Saunders sets out for Nowheresville, Colorado, to interview a reclusive artist, it’s mostly to prove he’s capable of doing the job. He doesn’t expect a house and garden so elaborate and secluded that he’s forced to rely on his subject, Lucian Thomas, for anything he needs.

While Cole is trying to get a read on his host, Lucian turns the tables on him, knowing
ebook, 1st Edition, 250 pages
Published January 16th 2012 by Dreamspinner Press (first published January 15th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about World on Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about World on Fire

Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
This was a strange story. I'm not quite sure how to describe it beyond that. I was confused a lot but I still didn't want to put it down. It's a unique story, though, in the sense that everything is always changing.

Cole Sanders is a man who works for a magazine and sent to interview a reclusive brilliant artist, Lucian Thomas. When he first meets Lucian he thinks he's met a man who is not all there in the head, who constantly talks in riddles and evades questions left and right which makes him b
Don Bradshaw
Feb 10, 2012 rated it it was ok
Reviewed on Hearts On Fire...

Reading this book was like falling down the rabbit hole. After reading Water Waltz, I was expecting a lot from this book but I was disappointed. Cole Saunders is a shy and socially withdrawn reporter who is assigned to interview the fairly famous artist, Lucien Thomas. Lucien is a total recluse who lives in a world of his own making. Cole is anxious to do the interview but Lucien is overly evasive almost to the point of driving Cole
Jan 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: magic, fantasy
The story was a bit strange, but with slow pace this developed story pulled me in. As a reader, I started to really enjoy all those weird chats between Cole, Lucian, Henry and Victoria. The plot was mysterious and well developed. I really enjoyed the weirdness and Cole's awkward behavior with Lucian.
Cole Riann
Feb 13, 2012 marked it as dnf
DNF - 2/22/12 @ 35%

I'm not going to say that this is terrible. I can't authoritatively say that my opinion of this book is bad, but it really just isn't for me. I had to constantly force myself back to the story. I kept playing with my cat and "accidentally" catching a late night episode of Friends instead of reading. After a few days of punishing myself I figured that there was no reason for me to keep pushing myself into reading something that I'm not interested in.

So see for yourselves. The s
Pixie Mmgoodbookreviews
2 1/2 Hearts

Review written for MM Good Book Reviews

Cole is a wallflower that has been overlooked his entire life and he prefers it that way, when he is asked to interview renowned reclusive artist Lucian he is surprised. Lucian is the very essence of eccentric artist and as Cole asks questions in vain, he learns that maybe beneath his own shield he isn’t really all that different.

This is a well written if frustrating story. As we get to know both Cole and L
I had a hard time getting into this book at was nearly 3/4 through that I became truly invested in the whole story, but only about 1/3 before I was invested in the characters. I like Lucian's strangeness, am frustrated by Cole's persistent and knowing ignorance, I feel minor dislike for Keaton but am forgiving of his arrogance, and I straight up hate Mitchell. Victoria was annoying and I didn't mind Henry.

This is a terribly boring review, I apologize, but each character made me feel s
Mar 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love when a book takes me surprise, yet unfortunately the phenomenon is uncommon (made especially so by my tendency to read spoilers and endings ahead of time). Yet World on Fire achieved that rare feat of keeping me on my toes in the best possible way.

After reading a summary that talked of visiting a reclusive artist in his ever-changing mansion, my mind conjured images of a somber, gothic-style atmosphere, yet World on Fire refuses to conform to any sort of conventional mold. Instead of a da
Feb 14, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Paranormal romance
This book drove me crazy. It should've taken me just a couple hours to read, but I had to keep putting it down and it ended up taking me almost three days to read. The way the main character, Lucian, jumped from topic to topic just wasn't something I really liked reading. While I understood why he did it, it made me want to grab him and shake him. I didn't even really like either main character. Lucian was just to flippant and Cole was just boring. I did like Victoria and Henry and the way they ...more
May 04, 2012 rated it did not like it
I tried to finish this book, I really did. However, after 60 excruciatingly dull pages, I finally gave up. The plot was invisible, and the characters were just too much--Cole was too meek and boring, and Lucian was too weird. His neighbors, Lady Victoria and Henry were intriguing, but neither that nor the mystery of the rearranging garden was enough to make up for the meandering (read: nonexistent) plotline and annoying main characters.

This book was provided free of charge by the publisher via N
This was definitely different, and I enjoyed that a lot. I will say it was plagued a bit by being too long for the point it was trying to make. But I liked Lucien's character a lot and the way he and Cole played off each other worked very well. I found myself waiting for something traumatic to happen, though, but it didn't. I think I've been reading too many angsty books and I wasn't prepared for more of a fluffy intellectual type of romance. So, the next time I read this, I need to remember tha ...more
May 10, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 stars!
I am not entirely sure as to why I didnt like this book. It is possible that I was in a strange mood and it colored my reaction to the book. The first half of the book left me really upset (no idea why) and I had to stop reading for a few hours before I could get into it. Looking back at the book, I thought the first half was a waste of time. Really, I learnt nothing about the plot, the MC's or even the strange world they were in. I felt that with a few extra paragraphs added to the se
W.S. Long
Oct 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is very similar, in my opinion, to novels from the turn of the twentieth century. The use of passive voice, the attention to the turn of the phrases, which sometimes are reminiscent of the tone of a Henry James, however, may turn some modern-leaning readers off.

The romance of Cole and Lucian proves interesting. If you like the paradox of Henry James type of wit in sentence dialogue, with scene setting in a gay romance then this may be the book for you.
Apr 29, 2015 added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm
I'm halfway through and I'm getting bored. It isn't the books fault but it is a very slow story with answers slow coming. It is a lovely story though. With a lot of random questions. Which I liked :D

*** EDIT ***

Yeah I finished this one a long time ago. I just can't remember how it ended....
Apr 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maybe it's because I'm used to reading slash fanfic and this type of story is right up my alley, I don't know, but I found myself really enjoying it.

My review is here.
Jan 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wonder what it says about me that I knew what was going on with Lucien and Cole from the start? This was a perfect fairy tale with a perfect moral. Don't try to change for the one you love if it means becoming a different person. Neither of you is going to be happy.
Nov 08, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-m-romance
Melanie Steward
Nov 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Strange and different. Liked it.
Feb 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
I love when a book surprises me. World on Fire was definitely a bit weird, in the best possible way.
Kristy Maitz
Jan 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hayley B. James really did good job with his story. Plot was well made and it did pull me in right away. I like both main characters.
Katie Casanova
rated it did not like it
Mar 04, 2012
Shelves: dnf, fantasy
Oct 05, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Dreamspinner Press: World on Fire by Hayley B. James 1 4 Jan 20, 2012 07:48AM
Hayley B. James grew up living in her fantasies but never writing any down, but after she found M/M slash online she wanted to form her incoherent daydreams into something others could read and enjoy.

On holidays she can be seen taking gifts to the fire and sheriff departments by her house. Hayley is fascinated by law enforcement but is happy working inside of a small office and writing during her
More about Hayley B. James...