Start by marking “Breakout (Dred Chronicles, #3)” as Want to Read:
Breakout (Dred Chronicles, #3)

Breakout

(Dred Chronicles #3)

All hell is breaking loose in the edge-of-your-seat follow-up to Havoc and Perdition from New York Times bestselling author Ann Aguirre…

The prison ship Perdition has become a post-battle charnel house with only a handful of Dred’s soldiers still standing and now being hunted by Silence’s trained tongueless assassins. Forging an uneasy alliance with mercenary commander
Published August 25th 2015 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about Breakout, please sign up.
Tianne I vaguely remember an interspecies relationship in Doubleblind. Vel perhaps?…moreI vaguely remember an interspecies relationship in Doubleblind. Vel perhaps? (less)

Start your review of Breakout (Dred Chronicles, #3)
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

Let me just tell it to you straight: If you loved the Sirantha Jax series and haven’t read this series, you need to. I’m absolutely kicking myself because I didn’t read this one sooner. With BREAKOUT being the last book in the series, I can probably admit that despite the fact that I loved the Sirantha Jax series, the Dred Chronicles just might be my favorite of the two.

The Dred Chronicles is a trilogy so it’s quite impressive what Aguirre is able to accomplish is such a few short books. Each
Venessa Tan
Sep 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dear 'The Wait',

I don't like you. Could you please go away? I think I speak for everyone when I say that I am very, very sick of you.

Sincerely,
Just another fangirl dying because this book is coming out in August
Marcela (BookaholicCat)
Aug 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
3.5 Stars

Originally posted at The Bookaholic Cat

Breakout is the third and last book in the Dred Chronicles series by Ann Aguirre.

Breakout starts just after the events in Havoc, second book in the series. Dred and her people are forced to ally with the mercenary commander Vost and the few mercenaries he has left alive. They know if they want to escape they need to work together, not only to build the escaping ship, but also to overcome Silence and her killers. The biggest problem is Dred doesn’t
Erin Burns
It is finally here! After Perdition and Havoc, the conclusion is finally here! Can you tell I am excited?

Seriously, look at that cover and that blurb, and my love for the other books in this series. I so wish I could have taken the day off work to read this, but alas, that wasn't an option and I had to wait. This is the sort of book that really irks me about Tuesday release days. Seriously, Saturdays or Sundays would suit me much better.

But back to the book. There may be spoilers for at least
Jen Davis
Mar 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book gave me absolutely everything I wanted. That’s no small feat, considering it wraps up the second series of books set in a world I have loved from the word “go.” It’s sci-fi fantasy, with just the right amount of romance to hit my sweet spot. The characters are richly drawn, with depth and nuance. They are heroic and vulnerable, fallible and fierce. The worldbuilding is fascinating and really second to none. The plot is interesting; the pacing is perfect. And the ending satisfied me in ...more
Donna
Aug 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
The bare facts of the ending are satisfying enough, but this has the most awkward pacing I've come across in a long time.

After finishing up, I can't help but feel this trilogy might have been better condensed into two books. Perdition was one of my favorite books in the last few years. Havoc was more episodic, with some encounters that were awkward asides. And then this book mostly ends three quarters of the way through, with an overlong wrap-up that comes off like padding.

My biggest problem
Steph
Breakout is the epic conclusion to Ann Aguirre's Dred Chronicles trilogy. The book kept me up at night; I didn't want to stop could not stop reading. The story of Dred, Jael, Tam, Martine, Calypso and Keelah's final battles on the prison ship Perdition and their struggles to flee it was one of fear, sadness, determination and hope.

As this is the finale, there are sure to be spoilers for those who haven't reached this point in Dred's story. So, I'm spoiler blocking some of my review. I highly
Sunny
The Sirantha Jax series by Ann Aguirre is one of my favorite odysseys of all time. It left an indelible imprint on my reading life. So when the author started the Dred Chronicles, I was beyond excited. I’ve tore through the first two books, savoring the stories and waited with great anticipation for the final book in the trilogy. This book is everything I wanted it to be and then some.

We return to Perdition, a prison outpost located in the outer edges of the galaxy. Perdition houses the worst
amanda
i'm not really sure why i don't like ann aguirre's books more than i do. on paper, they have everything that i'd want in a book: "strong female characters" who are more than just strong female characters, really interesting secondary worlds, brutal violence and real consequences to the heroes' actions or inactions. she is a competent writer, in that her books are very readable.

but i just don't enjoy them the way i should; something about them leaves me cold. i think that part of it is that her
Jo

What a brilliant ending to a fantastic series!

This place’ll hurt you worse before it’s done, grind you up and spit you out.

After the carnage and violent battle at the end of the last book, Dred only has a handful of her people left in her territory, and Silence’s stealth and mute assassins are hunting Dred and her people. The only way to defeat Silence is to form a reluctant alliance with the last three men left of the mercenary team hired to annihilate the prisoners. Which could mean their

Hilary
Aug 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf, netgalley
The final book in the Dred trilogy, it was obvious there was a lot of backstory I'd missed, but after a steep curve I was mostly on board.

Dred, an empathic vigilante imprisoned for killing other killers, is now roaming the prison ship Perdition with a handful of mercenaries and allied soldiers, teaming up against Silence, a madwoman with her own death cult of assassins.

Sound intriguing? Did I mention rodents of unusual size, aliens, minions, building an escape shuttle from junk and a touch of
Darcy
Feb 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting book. The first half or so was the brutalness of Perdition, of everyone trying to survive, to trust unlikely allies to do what it takes to get out of this horrible prison. Then there is what they learned about an enemy. Those facts actually made me sorry for Silence, made me wonder had events not happened how great of a person she could have become.

I actually liked the last quarter of the book. The start of a new life. I really liked that the 5 that had been together for
Katyana
Apr 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, future
It was good, but... well, the ending was a bit anti-climactic. I guess I just wanted more... vanquishing of your enemies, and/or something like that.

I'm glad that they ended up where they ended up, and I'm even happier that they are healing and seem to be better adjusted than I'd ever believed possible, but... it was so incredibly neat and clean. I felt like I spent the last 20% waiting for a shoe to fall.

*shrug*
Gundega (Rouzmary)
*actual rating 4.5 stars, but since GR is still being GR's then it's 5 cuz got no complaints...bout story*

Yasssss! I'm done! I've finally read Dred Chronicles!
As always with books like this - how come I didn't read it earlier? But no worries, better late than never! And I did thoroughly like it. Even feel like Ann Aguirre could have explored it some more with these characters & setting, thou I'm still satisfied with this finale for Perdition's convicts.

But I have to say - nearly wasn't
Rhiannon Frater
Feb 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
An amazing and satisfying ending to the trilogy. Loved it!
The TBR Pile *Book review site*
The Dred Chronicles is a sexy, dark sci fi that defines the word epic! http://thetbrpile.weebly.com/reviews/...
Candace
Aug 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very satisfying conclusion to an exciting series. Breakout picks up pretty much right where book 2, Havoc, ended and, in keeping with the rest of the series, is pretty much action-packed all the way through. Our heroes (Can you refer to a group of murderous convicts as heroes? In this series, yes, yes you can.) are in dire peril from page one and the tension barely lets up *at all* until at least 3/4 of the way through the book. That last 1/4 is largely epilogue-ish and that is completely okay ...more
Andi
Sep 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
I really enjoyed this final book in the Dred Chronicles series. The pacing was nonstop, but with lots of character development (and backstories!) in between. While some readers didn't like the protracted ending, I thought it was fitting, and left me happy that this series ending on a high note.
Iris (Artemis Library)
Feb 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
rcv review copy from publisher june 30.
Expected release date book: August 25th 2015 by Ace
Review to come!
October
I would give this series ten stars if I could. It's the best sci-fi romance I've ever read till date. I love romances set in prison so this was right up my alley. The story and pacing were prefect, especially in the last two books. Kudos to Aguirre for not making it unnecessarily complex and keeping it tightly plotted.

The characters take the spotlight, it was easy to get invested in them because they are so interesting. Aguirre writes fantastic creepy villains and morally grey characters. More
Dark Faerie Tales
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: In the game of thrones you win or you die…well, you get the drift!

Opening Sentence: Chaos reigned in Queensland, and Dred was too tired to come down with an iron fist.

The Review:

Dred, Jael and the others are back, minus quite a few. They are down to limited numbers after losing ground and are facing losing all of her hard won territory. They are working with Vost, the mercenary commander, who lost all his men except for two. They can only
Under the Covers Book Blog

Vleigh
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this author -- wish this wasn't the end of this series!
Hannah (fullybookedreviews)
Apr 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
The third and final instalment in Ann Aguirre’s sci-fi slash space opera is as action-packed, thrilling and darkly entertaining as I’ve come to expect from the author!

I picked up the first book upon reading a review from a fellow blogger whose UF/SF reviews I trust – and boy was I glad I did. Furthermore, sci-fi isn’t usually my preferred genre – sometimes I find the books a tad too dense for me – but I so enjoyed the disturbing, dog-eats-dog, every-man-and-woman-for-themselves world that
Liv
Sep 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was an awesome finale to the series. Who would have thought that it was possible to escape Perdition? But hey, Dred and Jael and their gang managed it. While the story setting was dark and horrifying, it was heart enlightening to learn that it was possible for friendships and love to grow amongst the most feared and notorious killers of the universe. It was through the formation of these friendships, and hope, that they were able to escape hardship finally.

One interesting bit was about
Katie
Jul 07, 2014 rated it liked it
This was an acceptable end to the series. It took me forever to get through this, though...and that is unlike Aguirre's writing. I didn't expect to start feeling sorry for Silence all of a sudden. I wanted JUSTICE.
So, that probably had a LOT to do with my reluctance to finish, or really care about the ending. I felt the same at the end of outlander when Randall was just assumed dead in a stampede! I mean come on - some one needs to double check!! Or, at least see it for yourself... I like how
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This was a very fitting end to an amazing series. I couldn't have been more pleased with the way things ended. And while not everyone got a happy ending, the ending they had was, well...fitting.

Dred and Jael have definitely become one of my all-time favorite book couples.

This isn't really a proper review, but I don't think I could write a review that truly expresses how much I enjoyed not only this book, but the Dred Chronicles as a whole.
Elisa
Nov 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.5 - 4 stars. Wild ride, lots that happens, violent like the first two and tons of backstory. This is the end of the Dred Chronicles trilogy. I could not put the book down, it kept me riveted which was great since I was stuck on a plane. Aguirre fills in all the gaps and answers a lot of questions. Our characters grow and change and you see where they end up. Sucky things happen but so do amazing things and it is a crazy adventure.
Julia
Mar 10, 2015 rated it liked it
For some reason, I feel like a lot of books default to these magic we're all rich endings! Not that it wasn't built in for these characters - it does align with their backstories, BUT so many endings have these and for some reason I didn't need this tied up with a bow. I mean it was fun to see Jax and Dina etc. thrown in there to show where they are now, but I felt like it made this ending less focused on these characters who I enjoyed too if that all makes sense.
G.
Sep 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"What do you think?" she asked Tam.
"It'll be a miracle if we don't all die," he said.
"That's what I thought."

I'm sad that this trilogy is done, but I'm definitely satisfied with the way Ann Aguirre wrapped things up. Reading Breakout made want to go back to the beginning and re-read the Sirantha Jax series.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Aurora Blazing (Consortium Rebellion, #2)
  • Overload Flux (Central Galactic Concordance #1)
  • Shattered Bonds (Jane Yellowrock, #13)
  • Games of Command
  • Heaven's Queen  (Paradox #3)
  • Honor's Knight (Paradox, #2)
  • The Queen's Gambit (Rogue Queen, #1)
  • Polaris Rising (Consortium Rebellion, #1)
  • Magic Outside the Box (The Case Files of Henri Davenforth, #3)
  • Rules of Redemption (The Firebird Chronicles, #1)
  • Fortune's Pawn (Paradox #1)
  • Dark Horse (Class 5, #1)
  • Fall (Hold, #3)
  • Touched by an Alien (Katherine "Kitty" Katt, #1)
  • Lab Rat One (Touchstone, #2)
  • Caszandra (Touchstone, #3)
  • Alien Education (Katherine "Kitty" Katt, #15)
  • Nightchaser (Endeavor, #1)
Ann Aguirre is a New York Times & USA Today bestselling author with a degree in English Literature; before she began writing full time, she was a clown, a clerk, a voice actress, and a savior of stray kittens, not necessarily in that order. She grew up in a yellow house across from a cornfield, but now she lives in sunny Mexico with her husband, children, and various pets. She likes all kinds ...more

Dred Chronicles (3 books)
  • Perdition (Dred Chronicles, #1)
  • Havoc (Dred Chronicles, #2)
“He watched her with an inscrutable expression. “Sometimes you speak such madness with the saddest, sanest eyes I’ve ever seen.” “Yes,” she said, unsmiling. It” 1 likes