Start by marking “Perdition (Dred Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Perdition (Dred Chronicles, #1)

Perdition

(Dred Chronicles #1)

WELCOME TO HELL

The prison ship Perdition, a floating city where the Conglomerate’s most dangerous criminals are confined for life, orbits endlessly around a barren asteroid.

Mass Market Paperback, 337 pages
Published August 27th 2013 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about Perdition, please sign up.
Mike Solstice
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Perdition (Dred Chronicles, #1)
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Back when Perdition was first mentioned, pitched as Prison Break in space (I kid you not), I immediately knew it would be a dream come true. Because seriously, violence and mayhem, Ann Aguirre style? In space?! Give me that, and then give me some more! So when it finally found its way into my greedy little hands, I was basically in ecstasy. And I remained in an absolute state of bliss throughout.

While this trilogy may be a Jax series spin-off, readers who aren’t familiar with Jax won’t be at a
Felicia
Oct 06, 2013 added it
Shelves: vaginal-sf, sci-fi
Well I'm a big fan of this author's other Sci-Fi series, Sirantha Jax, so I was very excited to see this new series that is kind of a spin-off, it has the world and a character in common. And on the surface of it, this is a really pulpy fun concept: Prison that has no supervision, territory wars, no hope, badass woman lead, etc. And it did fulfill several of the things I really loved about the concept. I really liked them main character, I believed MOSTLY that she could keep a group of bloodthir ...more
JAIME
Mar 18, 2015 marked it as dnf
I definitely have this on my kindle ready to go after Sirantha Jax.

Ann Aguirre binge read commence.

Update: I just read the synopsis for this one and missed something crucial. (view spoiler)

DNF 89%

While I'm DNFing things.... you're out too.

I'm disappointed in you Ann Aguirre. ["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>
Eon ♒Windrunner♒
Dec 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
RTC
Jen Davis
Mar 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I can’t tell you how much I enjoyed slipping back into the world of Sirantha Jax. Sirantha, herself, maybe be absent, but all of the great character development and world building is in full force. In short order, I grew to love Dred, Jael, and the men and women of Perdition as much as I loved Sirantha and her crew. Ann Aguirre is such a talented storyteller. I didn’t want to put this down for a minute.

It’s been decades since the events of Endgame. And this entire time Jael has been in that pris
Becki
Sep 12, 2013 rated it it was ok

I'm a fan of Ann Aguirre and I've read several of her previous novels and found myself very satisfied. On the surface this was a book I couldn't NOT enjoy!

But something didn't work for me. The dialogue felt flat and no matter how hard I tried I couldn't summon up an ounce of feeling for the characters.

They had all the trappings of fantastic characters, a powerful female lead and a tortured male love interest but it just wasn't enough to get past the cliches in the dialogue. The storyline ke
Nenia ☠️ Khaleesi of Bodice Rippers, Protector of Out of Print Gems, Mother of Smut, and Actual Garbage Can ☠️ Campbell
I'm just such a sucker for books about prison ships and prison planets
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

When the Sirantha Jax series came to an end, I knew that I wanted to read the spin-off series. Ann Aguirre excels at writing Science Fiction and although I haven’t read much in the genre, I know a good book when I see one. First off, just from the premise alone, you know this is going to be a good book. I don’t know how Aguirre comes up with her ideas but a prison ship locating in the air? Who thinks of this stuff?

When Perdition becomes under attack, Dred must protect herself and her friend
Nadine Jones
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
I didn't expect this book to be so .... plodding, dull, amateurish, and uninteresting. This is sort of the run down of the book: they go here, they go there, they fight fight fight! Fight detail fight detail, scheme, side eye, feelings she has, feelings she once had, she feels this way because she felt that way, but she's never felt like this! Fight detail fight detail!! Will she still feel the way she felt? Smooch feels! Blood! Fight!
Set in the same world as Ann Aguirre's Sirantha Jax series Perdition takes place on a prison space ship that is the dumping ground for the galaxy's most dangerous criminals. Everyone sent to Perdition has been given a death sentence and the ship has been set up with is no chance of escape so the authorities don't even bother to provide guards to keep the prisoners under control. With limited resources and full of the most violent and terrifying prisoners the ship isn't exactly a safe place to be ...more
Jo
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

I have no idea how to write a review for this fantastic book.

Pain was a flower.
It began with crimson petals, threaded white, and ended with a black, black heart. Like mine.

Perdition is a floating prison ship where all the worst criminals are sent. A prison divided into six territories, 4 ruled by would-be "kings" and 2 by "queens". And of

Praiz Sophyronja
Incredible! There is so much badassery in this I can't handle it.

description

Violence, Deadly criminals, Aliens, Floating prison city, IN SPACE. The concept is what got to me. How awesome does that sound right? I mean the first thing I read in the blurb was...

WELCOME TO HELL

And so I went and bought it straight away.

The characters were so enticing t
SueM
Nov 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If you are a fan of Aguirre's Sirantha Jax series, don't expect this story to be something along the same lines - you will be disappointed.There are similarities -- it takes place in the same universe, though at a later date; there's a strong female lead character with a tough outer skin hiding a more vulnerable side; a strong but flawed male lead character who did appear in the Jax series; and, of course, Aquirre's impeccable writing skills. But the similarities end there.

This is a dark tale of
Damali
Nov 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, aliens
This was different in a lot of ways from the Sirantha Jax series. There was no space travel or travel at all, but I'm hoping there will be further on in the series. The characters are serving life sentences on a prison ship for terrible crimes, and the ship is pretty much falling apart.

Jael from the Sirantha series is one of the characters who just arrived after serving 30 turns in an alien prison. It took me awhile to remember him. There's several gangs, and Jael is chosen by Dred to join her g
Gwen (The Gwendolyn Reading Method)
I was fond of this one. I'll read more, depends on how long she's going to keep them on Perdition.
Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru
Synopsis:

WELCOME TO HELL

Life inside is even more bleak. Hailed as the Dread Queen, inmate Dresdemona “Dred” Devos controls one of Perdition’s six territories, bordered on both sides by would-be kings eager to challenge her claim. Keeping them at bay requires constant vigilance, as well as a steady influx of new recruits to replace the falle
Scott
Sep 11, 2019 marked it as abandoned
I normally cross the store to avoid this badass chick stuff, but I guess I thought this one would be different. Maybe it was because I had been to three Barnes & Noble stores and still hadn't found anything I was interested in, so when all else fails, get the book with the pretty woman on the cover. (Hey it's worked for centuries.) You know how it is when you've got a gift card burning a hole in your pocket.

Dresdemona Devos, a.k.a. Dred isn't a vampire or P.I., she's a prisoner on an orbiting f
Under the Covers Book Blog
Sep 06, 2015 rated it really liked it

When Perdition becomes under attack, Dred must protect herself and her friends

Veronica
Mar 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
I wanted to love this book, I really did but sadly it failed to live up to my expectations. And maybe that's part of the problem. It seems that I enjoy books more when I go in with no preconceived notions about how awesome it's going to be. In any event, the writing in this book just didn't seem to live up to other works by this author, other works that I have mostly enjoyed. This time around though the dialogue seemed stilted and/or cheesy by turns and the relationships felt superficial and une ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
Well, a pretty good read. I'm going 4 stars on it. There are a few false notes but all-in-all not bad at..."all". (get it all-in-all and then all??? huh, huh, get it???? Okay I'll shut up.)

The story here is of another totally horrible prison where the guards are gone and the inmates run the asylum. Tribes of homicidal killers (most of whom are insane) these are the worst of the worst sent here for the rest of their lives. Once here you don't leave...ever.

The story here revolves around the Dred Q
Mara
Sep 10, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
It took two months for me to finish this book, and it's revealing in itself. I'm pretty bulimic in my reading habits. I gobble down books as a Guinness-breaking man would gobble down hamburgers.

To get you a nicer pictures, this book is like some modern piece of arts. They tell you it's art, that it has a great value, but it leaves you totally cold.
This is Perdition for me. It really did nothing for me, I couldn't engage with any characters, death, betrayals, they had no value. I could have bee
Pamela / SpazP
Feb 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I am soooo happy to be back in an Ann Aguirre Sci-Fi world!! I had high expectations for this Sirantha Jax spin-off series, my expectations were totally met. I glommed this story. This book was awesome, and I cannot WAIT for the next book in the series.
Fry
Mar 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, scifi
Wow. After the last Sirantha Jax book covering turns of political and social upheaval with sparse and decimating action, this book comes roaring out of the gate. After scant chapters to set up the location and characters, the plot takes a death grip and doesn't let go. When I hear phrases like 'non-stop action', I immediately become skeptical, but Perdition's plot is constantly moving, barely offering time to rest between fights. There is even a large scale massacre within the last chapter, in t ...more
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
Via The Obsessive Bookseller at www.nikihawkes.com

All I have to say is, Ann Aguirre has definitely become one of my favorite authors. She consistently delivers highly entertaining books, Perdition being no exception. I have now made my way through at least one book of her four different series and it amazes me how different they are from one another. She just knows how to tell a good story, whether it’s about an orphan living in underground ruins (Enclave) to a psychically gifted space traveler
Lauren (Sugar & Snark)
Did anyone watch the movie Escape from L.A?
Well the basic premise is that L.A is an island and is used as an inescapable, unguarded prison for the worst offenders. There is no control only the chaos, the prisoners are left to their own devices to live or die. That is also the premise of this book except instead of the prison being on an island it is in a huge space ship.

So I guess what I am trying to say is that if you are a fan of sub-par 90’s movies you would not find this plot very original!
Rhiannon Frater
Feb 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome! A bit like Max Max in space. I can't wait for the next one!
Suzanne McLeod
Aug 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
LOVED this book! Jael and Dred are AWESOME! Only problem, now have to wait for Havoc #2 to find out what they get up to next :-D
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
Oct 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
Perdition is a dark book full of violence. You would think that would be a turn off but for me it was not. I enjoyed Perdition and am looking forward to the next book in the series.

Back Story: That can be summed up in a few words. This is an old mining ship converted to a prison where the worst criminals are sent for life. There are no guards, little outside support and the convicts run the place. If the back story for any of the characters is revealed it is in conversation as part of the action
Andi
Aug 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book from a new series which takes place on a penal colony in space, based in Sirantha Jax's world.

Dred is "queen" of one of six factions living on the colony. When Jael arrives (some 30-40 years after the events that take place in Doubleblind), she senses his value and promptly grabs him to join her faction.

The factions are constantly fighting each other, and Jael proves his usefulness through his inhuman abilities. His emotional integration with Dred's group is a little
Rosalind M
Sep 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
4.5 stars. A gritty and engaging ride through an abandon-hope-all-ye-who-enter-here prison ship. I caught a few metaphor slips that used comparisons that should have been unfamiliar to characters with limited educations or "ancient" comparisons that would likely not still be used this far in the future. But Ann Aguirre made me care about these unredeemable prisoners, and I look forward to the next chapter in the Dred Chronicles.

• Heaven's Queen  (Paradox #3)
  • Aurora Blazing (Consortium Rebellion, #2)
  • Fortune's Pawn (Paradox #1)
  • Dark Horse (Class 5, #1)
  • Polaris Rising (Consortium Rebellion, #1)
  • Age of Deception (The Firebird Chronicles, #2)
  • Honor's Knight (Paradox, #2)
  • Rules of Redemption (The Firebird Chronicles, #1)
  • Enemy Within (Enemy, #1)
  • Touched by an Alien (Katherine "Kitty" Katt, #1)
  • The Queen's Gambit (Rogue Queen, #1)
  • Infinity Bell (House Immortal, #2)
  • House Immortal (House Immortal, #1)
  • Games of Command
  • Dangerous Dreams: A Novella (Obsidian Flame, #1)
  • Pathfinder's Way (The Broken Lands, #1)
  • Song of Scarabaeus (Scarabaeus, #1)
  • Finders Keepers
Ann Aguirre is a New York Times & USA Today bestselling author with a degree in English Literature; before she began writing full time, she was a clown, a clerk, a voice actress, and a savior of stray kittens, not necessarily in that order. She grew up in a yellow house across from a cornfield, but now she lives in sunny Mexico with her husband, children, and various pets. She likes all kinds of b ...more

Dred Chronicles (3 books)
  • Havoc (Dred Chronicles, #2)
  • Breakout (Dred Chronicles, #3)