Start by marking “Nothing Else Matters” as Want to Read:
Nothing Else Matters

Nothing Else Matters

Revised 1/25/12
When racism tears a school apart, can love put it back together?

As the senior star quarterback of Charleston Preparatory school in South Carolina, Scott Kincaid is poised for a spectacular professional career in sports. Though he and Reyna Lewis have been best friends for six years, between leading Charleston Prep to victory week after week, and seeking th
Published January 18th 2012 by Little Prince Publishing (first published October 30th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Nothing Else Matters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nothing Else Matters

Adriana
OMG what can i say about this book i loved it from the begining i couldnt put it damm it was an emotional rollercoaster, but the ending was so unexpected i still cannot get over it and im still crying...Great book
Dinjolina
Mar 14, 2012 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: People who love strawberry milk shakes….and yes, you will understand after you read my review :)
This book started out well.

But then it turned too conscious worthy, trying to addressed political and racial questions on a level that was supposed to be higher but never really reached the mark.
The dilemmas and problems were simplified and shallow without getting to any real resolutions. The end results were a gazillion scenes with a bunch of people crying every time the heroine gave a speech. And crying some more…over everything else.
The horrible thing is, there were tear worthy situations in
Rebecca
Oct 01, 2012 rated it did not like it
I appreciate that the author did their research, but it was melodramatic, unbalanced, and forced. The lack of a HEA also was annoying.

This book started off interesting enough--star athlete with obsessed parent is in love with his childhood friend. Problem is, Scott's body is starting to fail him, and he's worried about whether Reyna will still like him if he can't be an athlete anymore. Worse, the fact that he's white and she's mixed race complicates their attempts at a relationship, along with
Emotonal Reads
Never Again, ever ,ever again, will I read another of this author's work without a warning about how it ends. This book was too depressing, left me sad and a little mad all day. how could she do this, this is a YA book?
I will warn anyone I know who is like me about book endings not to come near this book. My god how could she do this.
This is no way a YA romance, it's more like a YA doom and gloom. I am sorry, but the characters who things should have worked out for didn't, the ones who didn't de
Charmer
Jan 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Good book, good story. I cried like a baby over this book. I need there to be more.
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books that I’ve read in 2018!
The Slash Queen
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
Felt it was too preachy at times and other times, too predictable. I was bored at parts and skipped around. I liked the overall idea and subject matter of the story, just fell a bit flat for me.
Madeline
Aug 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2012
(First, I bought this book after reading a short story about the two chartacters in the book, Scott & Reyna, in the ebook Eternal Spring, which is a collection of short stories by different authors; that's how much I liked these two characters).

Now, To readers: please don't take the following in a negative view of my review for this book - It's just the opposite, but I had to write it like this.

OMG!! Ohh Myy Friggin Gosh!!! Im so pissed off at pg164!! (At least on my kindle). I couldnt help
Josie  Ann
Feb 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is the third book that I've read by Leslie DuBois, and I think that she is the most amazing author ever!! "Nothing Else Matters" is told from two points, Scott Kincaid and Reyna Lewis. Scott Kincaid is the main character of the story, he is the quarterback on the football team, and he is a Senior at Charleston Prep. Reyna Lewis is Scott's best friend, and has been since the sixth grade; she is super smart, and half-black, half-Puerto Rican. We learn that Scott has been suffering from muscle ...more
Sophia
Apr 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
I got this book with one of the free Kindle deals because I thought that it sounded really good. I was not disappointed. This was a very affecting story that brought me to tears (yes, have your tissue box handy).

This story tackles some really big issues such as prejudice issues at school and inter-racism in romance as well as a disconnected and driven parent towards her children.

Scott and Reyna have been friends since sixth grade, but as they grow older both realize that friendship has become lo
Jackie
Apr 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Nothing Else Matters is a story that evokes a lot of emotions while you read it. Reyna and Scott are best friends, have been since they first met. Scott's mother is a racist and is just too much to stomach. Scott's mother doesn't seem to love or care anyone. All she wants is to make her son into the best athlete ever. She wants him to get to the Olympics and win the gold medal she never did. She has another son who she doesn't get along with. As a mother, character she's just dispicable.

Scott i
Lovey Dovey Books
Jan 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
From Lovey Dovey Books

Nothing Else Matters is a story you don't want to miss reading. Interracial relationships in YA isn't as prevalent as I would like it to be, but I have to say the stories that are out there can't compare to Nothing Else Matters.

Ms. DuBois has written a story that doesn't let you go the moment you start reading. I was really able to understand Scott's precarious situation and I wished I could swoop through the book to help him out. His mother was pure evil and I'm surprised
Tara Chevrestt
Leslie DuBois’s books always leave me shocked and reeling…and La Cienega Just Smiled was no different.

You know that parent that lives through their child? The one that yells and screams at their kid for fumbling a pass or striking out? You know the rabid parent at the games? Scott’s mom is like that. She lost a gold medal in the Olympics to a black person and this is why, I think, she loathes African Americans and even says crap like this:

”Black football players don’t need any extra help. They
Cecilia Garcia
I can't even give this book ONE star. I didn't like it, but it goes much further than that. I HATED this book. I, as a Puerto Rican, feel insulted by this book. If you're going to write about a place, and their people, DO YOUR GODDAMN RESEARCH! We don't live in VILLAGES, we have TOWN. We have pretty much every store and appliance Americans have. This was just ridiculous. But you know what? This was enough for me to black list this book. I'm never going to read another book by this author, and I' ...more
Jamie
Jan 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Wow. This book was way more emotional than anything I normally read and I wasn't expecting it. The message was good, the romance was good but it was so dang sad that I want to go take a walk, stop world hunger, end poverty and donate to a blood drive. The end completely and totally shocked me and I wanted it to keep going so badly that I think I tapped the page forward button on the kindle twenty times in hopes that there would be more. I am torn between a four star and five star review because ...more
Caradico
Sep 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
Chastity
Mar 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
- I wanted to see more of what happened in the epic ending that no one expected! - How racism goes into play after the accident? That could have been an epilogue. I wanted more!

- Yes, sometimes this book is sappy. Its teenage love, of course sometimes some teens get overly dramatic but that doesn't mean the love wasn't real. I wouldn't down play the love between the main characters.

- I wanted someone like, Reyna's father to slap some sense into Sam in the beginning and middle - Stop trying to
NayNay
May 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is the third book I read by Leslie DuBois, and I really enjoyed it. Leslie DuBois writes about a inter-racial relationship and it's affect in a racist town. It takes the two main characters, Scottie and Reyna, and makes them face major life decision's at a young age. Along the way Scottie and Reyna learn self-worth and deep love. NOTHING ELSE MATTERS is an emotional story, with twist and turns, and a surprise ending. Readers who like Nicholas Sparks, Anita Shreve and Jodi Picoult will enjoy ...more
Anacrasia
Its basically a sad romantic story between Scott and Reyna as their relationship battels
-racial turmoil at school
-Scott's tyrannical and racist mother's obsession with his winning
a gold medal and
-discovery of Scott suffering from a debilitating disease which could prove fatal if he continued to play in between it all.
The author has used references to the story of Romeo and Juliet as indicative of an impending sad event.
Umm...I guess it was an ok read. Perhaps sad romantic stories aren't really
Jody Morse
Jan 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Nothing Else Matters reminded me of a certain book by Nicholas Sparks, but Leslie DuBois’s writing style is more similar to that of Jodi Picoult as she switched back and forth between POVs, takes on touchy issues, and takes a stab at a shocking twist of an ending. Although I had a feeling that the ending was coming from very early on in the story, it still brought tears to my eyes when it happened because I became so attached to the characters. Overall, I really liked this and I look forward to ...more
Literary  Chanteuse
Apr 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: new-adult
Once again an amazing book from this author. It starts out as a regular ya book with the kind of young adults you basically expect but it then takes a turn into incredibly driven young adults who are faced with major life decisions, racial intolerance along with learning their self worth and a deeper love. There were a few laughs and tears and some excellent characters in an emotional moving story.
Aparna
Mar 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of Leslie's best books to date. It is a sweet little love story that also takes on serious topics like the racism that lurks behind the facade. A community that seems to be very modern and accepting of all people starts showing cracks when the school's star athlete starts dating a black girl. The story is beautifully written.. Way to go Leslie! I am a fan!!!
ReKiyah
Feb 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: woman-challenge
SPOILERS AHEAD

As a black girl who prefers ( but not demands) white guys, I decided to find and read a book with main characters who were along those lines. I never had before so I decided to change that. Nothing Else Matters is the first book I have read and all I'm going to say is this:

This book gave me hope,joy,excitement,ideas,love, made me incredibly happy, and finally broke my heart.
Jessica
Mar 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books
Wow I have very low expectations for this book but I was blown away. I love that was portrayed was incredible. Every feeling was described so well that you felt ever emotion that coursed through the characters.
Great writing. Great story. You will soar and swoon but also feel the pain of heartache.
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
There were moments in this book that I liked. Overall though, I just found this book not happy. I kept thinking it would get better, but it just didn't. The ending was awful and left me feeling bad. I'm just not a fan of unhappy endings when I'm reading.

As far as content, there was some swearing, underage drinking and drugs, and sexual content.
ratanak
Sep 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing

❝ Leslie DuBois - Nothing Else Matters Review ❞

Other AMAZING BOOK by LISLIE ... I don't know where to start this book blow me away from start to finish ... After finishing it I was so emotional the ending OMG
Jhoanna
Jan 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Oh my. I cried a lot.
The love between the 2 main character was so beautiful.
but, why bad things happen to people who don't deserve them?
I love the story. It's an amazing read.
I couldn't stop reading it, I couldn't put it down.

Real it. You'll love it.
Ronda Blanke Geiger
Jul 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was an emotionally charged love story. A modern day Romeo and Juliet with a twist. The author did an excellent job of relaying this tale from both sides. I am glad that I read Reyna and Scott's story.
Amber
Jan 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Considering this is more of a teen love story it wasn't to bad for the age it was geared towards. A love story that combines politics of school and race mixed with a mother who forcefully lives her dreams through her child. Prepare for a surprise ending.

• Georgetown Academy: Book Two
  • A Million Wishes (Wishes, #1)
  • Dark River Road
  • Battery Brothers
  • What Endures
  • Before, After, and Somebody In Between
  • Damaged: A Violated Trust (Secrets, #3)
  • In High Places
  • Maggie Come Lately (The Pathway Collection, #1)
  • Done Being Friends
  • Trigger
  • Kisses to Remember
  • Battered Not Broken (MMA Romance Companion Novels, #1)
  • Rebound
  • Catcher, Caught
  • Winter's Storm: Retribution (Winter's Saga, #2)
  • The Calling
  • I'm Your Girl
Sybil Nelson lives in Charleston, SC with her husband and two daughters. She is a PhD student at the Medical University of South Carolina and has written ten novels."