Start by marking “A Very Special Critter (Look-Look)” as Want to Read:
A Very Special Critter (Look-Look)

A Very Special Critter (Look-Look)

Alex, a new critter at school, uses a wheelchair to get around, and at first the other critters aren't sure how to treat him. But when they get to know Alex, they find that even though he's a special critter, he's really just one of the gang. A Golden Look-Look Book. Full color.
Published April 1st 1993 by Golden Books

To ask other readers questions about A Very Special Critter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Very Special Critter

Start your review of A Very Special Critter (Look-Look)
Antwon
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ecce
This was one of my favorite books in elementary school. It allowed the others critters to get to know him because they thought he was different because he was in a wheelchair but he was just like one of the other critters. You learn that just because somebody may look different they could be as normal as you. It shows how you should introduce a disabled student to a classmate.
Kat
Apr 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, picture-books
Basic Plot: Little Critter gets a new student in his class who is different from everyone else: he has to use a wheelchair.

In his typical style, Mayer makes his lessons accessible to children. The tone is a bit more serious in this one, as Critter is a bit confused about what it means to be handicapped. He learns, though, that wheelchairs don't make a person completely dependent and needy. There's a lot of good message here, particularly if your own little critter has never encountered a person
Anna
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: exceptionalities
Critter finds out about getting a new class mate, his teacher says there is something different about this new critter. A wheelchair, the new Critter Alex has a wheelchair. Critter asks his dad for advice and he gives some good talking points but Critter finds somethings were not needed, his new friend doesnt need A LOT of help just a little bit like him.
This book shows it is ok to ask someone in a wheelchair questions, if you ask questions you will learn more about someone who has a physical d
Serpil Dislen
Aug 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: exceptionalities
Great story, young children can get knowledge about others who has a disability.
This book should be on the classroom library even they don’t have a child with disability kids in the classroom. When the children saw a child with a disability in their environment, they know what a child can do, what child can not do. The story does an excellent job expressing concern about a new classmate who is different and illustrates.
Ashley.taggart
Apr 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is about a critter named Alex who is in a wheelchair. The book does a really good job explaining how people who are handicapped are not different from the rest of the people in this world. I would recommend this book to every one of all ages. This book and all the other critter books have a moral that everyone should hear. This is one of my favorites from the Critters series of children books.
Luda Gogolushko
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Aside from the title really bothering me and not having anything to do with the story, I liked it. But in the beginning, dad gives advice, but it would had been better especially that the mc said he’d never met anyone in a wheelchair before should have made his own conclusion that the new critter wasn’t any different than him instead of having the dad say on page 5: “'Just because he’s in a wheelchair, doesn’t mean he’s any different than the rest of you. He probably just needs some special help ...more
Hannah Monroe
Apr 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: exceptionalities
There's a new student in Little Critter's classroom. Alex, the new student, uses a wheelchair. The other students in the classroom are unsure about how to interact with Alex because of the wheelchair. After the children learn more about Alex, they learn he isn't so different after all and now he's one of their friends!
I gave this book 4 stars. It can be difficult for children to know how to react to people with disabilities and I think this book does a good job of showing them that they're still
Parker Thornton
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
A Very Special Critter is by Mercer Mayer, the story talks about a little boy named Alex who is in a wheelchair. One day after school Critter goes home to ask his dad about Alex. His dad gives him some really good points about Alex and his condition. One of the taking away points was that Alex does not need much help at all just a little bit. Critter then goes on to be Alex's friend and a helping hand when needed.

This book is a great way to start a conversation about curiosity, and it is a good
Paul Large
Nov 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a great book to help students realize that everyone is different and that its good to have diversity in your life. I believe that this book would allow students to understand the differences between people and accept them. An activity that could go along with reading this book aloud would be to have students go around and say something that makes them totally different from other students in their class. This was a great read and should be read out to the students of every class because ...more
Natasha Casey
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: exceptionalities
A great child's book to show just because someone is in a wheelchair does not stop them from being like the rest of the children. This books shows that children with disabilities also like playing games and hanging out with the other children. It also explains that individuals in a wheelchair can do many things on their own however, they may need a little push here and there. I believe this will be a great book to read to a class because it shows the children that others with disabilities are ju ...more
Alicia Tavernier
This book starts off with a situation that some children may relate to, going to a new school. The main character Alex starts at a new school, but he is in a wheelchair. This book is about learning and accepting others who may be a little bit different than you. with Alex and everyone being a "critter" I believe children will be drawn to a book about animals. Alex asks his father for advice and this can show children that it is okay to ask for help. This book also shows that having diversity in ...more
Rebecca Stark
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Yet another book recommended by an adult adoptee, this quickly became one of my child’s treasures. Alex, in his wheelchair adorned with dinosaurs and other fun trinkets, becomes the good friend of our hero, Critter. My son’s favorite part is the wheelchair’s costume of a red car. We re-read this often and will continue to do so, as I want my son to see disabled people, and to treat them as people, not disabilities!
Haylieboyer
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: exeptionalities
This book is great for younger children that are beginning to enter school. This book shares the story of a little boy that is just starting school and is in a wheel chair. I love how it talks about all of the good that the boy can still do and how the book can be great for the whole class or a small group that has questions.
Huda Fel
Mar 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sped, en-pic-books
One day, the teacher announced that a very special critter is going to join the classroom. The kids weren't exactly sure what to expect.
This story takes us on a journey of a child with a wheelchair joining a mainstream classroom, and how the students move through a mix of emotions like uncertainty, curiosity, tolerance, acceptance, and belonging.
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Little Critter gets a new student in his class, but the new student is in a wheelchair. At first LC feels strange about the difference, but learns to see that the new student is just like everybody else!
Verna
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: special-needs
A wonderfully illustrated book that's great for introducing a child with special needs to the classroom. It assists children with the understanding that just because a child uses a wheelchair doesn't make them less capable of performing the same routine or activities that a typical child can do.
Ashley Stevenson
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: exceptionalities
I enjoyed reading this book. I loved how the critters welcomed their new friend despite the fact that he was in a wheelchair. In this story it really explains even though some people may have a disability, they still are capable to do the same activities as a typical person.
Hannah Herzig
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Synopsis: In this children's book written by Mercer Mayer, a new friend joins the class, but something is different about him. He uses a wheelchair to get around! The classmates are not sure how to feel about this at first, but soon everyone realizes he is no different than them or anyone else, despite his wheelchair. This book contains comedy and an important, easy to understand message about disabilities and how people sometimes react in situations such as these, but that it is best to be acce ...more
Mikayla Baker
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was really cute. The class was told that a new student would be starting school there the next day. The teacher said that he was special though. He was in a wheelchair. He came in the next day and looked really scared. All the kids introduced themselves. When they went outside they thought he would need help, but they were wrong. He did not need as much help as they thought. He could do many things on his own, but certain things he would need help with.

I liked the illustrations in thi
Jasmine Bowman
Nov 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
This story was about a class getting a new student, but he's not just another student... he's a special case. He is in a wheelchair! The students must adjust to accommodate his needs, make him feel welcomed, and do their best not to leave him out.

This book is great for teaching about individuals with disabilities, how they are still humans, and how they should be treated just as anyone else should be treated. For an activity in the classroom, I would have the students write about a person they k
Nicole
I LOVE this book!! I grew up reading this series, so perhaps I'm biased. But, this book is so special! The authors tell a story of a new student who uses a wheelchair. At first everyone is afraid to ask him questions, and many think that he will need help all of the time. As they take time to get to know him, they learn that it is okay with him to ask questions and that he can actually do most everything that everyone else can. (And even though he may need help sometimes, so do the others!) I wo ...more
Rosa Cline
Mar 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
Little Critter books are always pretty special to read to your child. He's like an average ordinary 'kid'... and feels and thinks like one. In this one very specially written to help children understand that if another child is 'different' (like in this story one is in a wheelchair) that doesn't mean he is different from them. They still feel and enjoy the same things. Little Critter soon makes good friends with the new boy in the chair.
Alicia Beaumier
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I think this by far is the best one I have read in a while. When I read it to the 4 year old I babysit he loved him and helped a kid in his school. This book did a very special way of explaining someone is handicap. The fact that they say sometimes he needs help, but sometimes I do to. I felt like that was such an amazing point to make. I love the author and the way he writes these, so realistic. The illustrations are amazing and full of color, they really keep you involved.
Shannon Brasher
I love this Little Critter book. There is a new kid in Little Critter’s class who is in a wheelchair and Little Critter is unsure about it. This story addresses the questions a student may have about another student who is different. I love the language in this book and how it shows children that is ok to be unsure about something that is different, but that learning about those differences can calm those fears.
Jackie Douthat
This is actually a book that I still have from my own childhood. I loved this book and I like that it shares the differences and similarities between the students. And I think it encourages acceptance. Children are naturally inquisitive and this book shows a class of students asking questions and realizing how similar they are.
Kelsi Bowman
This is a good book for young children that discusses a new student that comes to school and has a wheelchair. At first it is difficult, but when he makes a friend the whole class starts to accept him too.
Kaitlin
Apr 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a classic book that is included in many many critter series. It's a great book to teach children that they can be friends with students with disabilities. It allows children to not be scared of the disability and see past it.
Mommywest
May 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
A new critter joins Little Critter's classroom, and though he seems very different from the rest of the class, they soon learn that he is very much the same in so many ways. Great book for discussing disabilities and differences and appreciating abilities and similarities.
Siomara
Jan 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Alex is new at school, but looks a little bit different from everyone else because he is in a wheelchair. This book demonstrates how children should be accepting and caring even if a person is not the same as them.
Nicole Jacob
This is a book about a boy named Alex who is in a wheelchair. And at first the kids do not know how to treat him. Then they get to know him and find out he is actually really cool. This is a good book to use in a classroom if there is a kid in a wheelchair either in the class or just in the school.

• I Want My Hat Back
  • The Girl Who Thought in Pictures: The Story of Dr. Temple Grandin
  • Michelle
  • Why Do Cats Meow?
  • Susan Laughs
I began illustrating books in 1966. Since that time I have published over 300 books. Most of my books are about things that happened to me when I was a little kid. Now I'm a big kid and I write about things that happen now, especially with my own children. They always remind me of what it was like.

I was born in Arkansas in 1943. Boy, that was a long time ago! It's real fun to be an old kid. Then m