Start by marking “The Assassin and the Desert (Throne of Glass, #0.3)” as Want to Read:
The Assassin and the Desert (Throne of Glass, #0.3)

The Assassin and the Desert (Throne of Glass 0.3)

4.4  ·  Rating details ·  23,152 Ratings  ·  1,173 Reviews
The Silent Assassins of the Red Desert aren’t much for conversation, and Celaena Sardothien wouldn’t have it any other way. She’s not there to chatter, she’s there to hone her craft as the world’s most feared killer for hire. When the quiet is shattered by forces who want to destroy the Silent Assassins, Celaena must find a way to stop them, or she’ll be lucky to leave the ...more
Published March 30th 2012 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens

Mikee Andrea (ReadWithMikee)
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Hands down, my favorite novella thus far! I'm speechless as to how much I actually loved this story. It reminded me a lot of Nevernight, and although it made the story very predictable because of how similar both stories were, I didn't mind it one bit.

I actually loved Celaena in this. This is the Celaena I love! This is the Celaena I wish Aelin could be. She wasn't overly arrogant. She wasn't annoyingly cocky. In fact, I found her to be actually humble in this novella, and very likable.

The chara
P
Jan 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
“Words could be just as deadly as steel.”

The Assassin and the Desert sounded like a great story with a big twist at first, and then the pace was slow down that I almost lost my interest. Celaena Sardothien comes to the desert and must receive the approval letter before she is back to Arobynn. She meets a girl named Ansel and these two become friends very quick among the fact that Celaene herself is very cautious and doesn't trust anyone easily.

All in all, the ending leads to the new adventur
Pearl Angeli
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reads
Out of all the novellas of The Assassin’s Blade that I’ve read so far, this third novella is the best one. It’s action-packed and full of bad-assery! Celaena never fails to really impress me with the way she deals with her situations. After being punished by her master Arrobyn, she was instructed to travel to the Deserted Lands to train with the master of the Silent Assassins. There, she met people who became her friends, including the girl assassin Ansel who had a very painful and cruel childho ...more
Deborah Obida
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: TOG fans
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
“If you can learn to endure pain, you can survive anything."

For a short story this book blew my mind, I did not see that ending coming, damn! TOG is one of my favourite series and its gets better with each book, same thing with the novellas. The writing and world building is impeccable, the plot is amazing and the characters are cool and not one dimensional.

I really wished I read this before the series because it could have really helped me understand lots of stuffs that Celaena talked about
Isa Cantos (Crónicas de una Merodeadora)
"The Lord of the North".
"Why does he get a fancy title?"
"Because the stag remains constant—no matter the season, he's always there".
"Why?"
"So the people of Terrasen will always know how to find their way home. So they can look up at the sky, no matter where they are, and know Terrasen is forever with them".

¡Este es uno de los mejores relatos del libro! La intriga, los viajes, los acertijos, el entrenamiento, las traiciones... The Assassin and the Desert lo tiene todo. Aquí, Celaena va a tener
Fables&Wren
Oct 10, 2016 rated it liked it
WrensReads Review:

Finally I am getting around to reading the adventures of my dear Celaena Sardothien. LOWKEY, I kind of love the assassin more than the queen, but that doesn't mean that I don't love the queen.

I wanted to read it before I read Empire of Storms BUT I kind of got distracted with other books that were coming out around the same time. I am not a huge fan of novellas, but I do know that some of the characters introduced in the last book were first introduced in some of these novella
Alana • thebookishchick
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Celaena realizing that Sam was screaming "I'll kill you" to Arobynn while he beat her slayed me. Too many feels because I know eventually where this leads to and I'm not ready.
Nikita
Apr 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novella
OH MY FREAKIN GOOOOOOOOOD!!!! Celaena Sardothien, you just kicked Katniss Everdeen from her throne as my favorite kickass YA protagonist! This novella is just - AWESOME!!! And geez, its just a novella! What more with the book! I don't think I'll love Celaena more than I already do! But helll, I REALLY miss Sam here. I wish to see more of him with the succeeding novellas! I CAN'T WAIT ANY LONGER!!! Oh God, let it be May 1 when I wake up tomorrow so that I can read the 3rd novella! (kiddin') hihi. ...more
Ky

Oh, my goddess! How does Sarah do it, one after one?

I mean, these novellas are amazing!

I can't stop repeating that Sarah J. Maas always surprise me. I mean, honestly, When I read a book, I tend to understand the plot and it's not a surprise the plot twist because I see it coming. But with SJM's books, I'm always surprised and I think that's why I enjoy so much her books.

I really like Celaena. She's so complex and I really admire how Sarah keeps giving us a lot of complex characters.

I finally ha
Chantal
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
MAMMA MIA!
Kaya
May 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
I wonder what exactly was I supposed to learn about Celaena from this unnecessary novella, when it only made me feel even less fond of her. Overall, nothing even slightly important happens, not for the series, and definitely not for our "beloved" protagonist. She shows off her complex of a higher value anywhere she goes, which is not particularly likeable.

Celaena is being sent to the desert to train with The Silent Assassins in order to be taught about obedience and discipline. She hopes she'll
_racheljane_
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the characters in this novella. It was refreshing to have a fresh set of characters to learn about. I loved Ansel and the dynamic she plays with Celaena. It’s interesting to see the difference in the two assassins’ and learn about how Ansel grew up. I also loved the Mute Master. He is kinder than Arrobyn Hamel and treats his assassins better than Arrobyn ever would. I liked that the Silent Assassins were more of a brotherhood and worked together.

The change of setting was refresh
Samhita Peechara {Multi Dreamer}⚔
These novellas just keep on getting better and better and I'm so glad I continued reading them...4.5⭐ for this one.

Assassin and the pirate lord: ⭐⭐⭐
Assassin and the healer: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
#1.) Throne of Glass ★★★
#2.) Crown of Midnight ★★★★
#3.) Heir of Fire ★★
#4.) Queen of Shadows ★★

This novella follows Celaena on her punishment mission with the Silent Assassins. I really liked this story, and it actually is pretty thought provoking on the subject of abuse. Even though we are watching Cel
Anny
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
Lo mío con esta historia corta es digno de estudio. Empecé a leerla pero se me hacía muy pesada, muy aburrida, tanto que la abandoné y con ella, también la lectura del segundo libro de la saga, pero retomé Corona de medianoche, lo acabé y también la tercera parte de la saga. Y ayer volví a la historia corta y ¡me encantó! ¿Compresión? 0 😂.
De las que llevo leídas es mi favorita.
Noura Khalid (theperksofbeingnoura)
"The Lord of the North".
"Why does he get a fancy title?"
"Because the stag remains constant—no matter the season, he's always there".
"Why?"

This one was one of my favorite Novellas! Celaena ventures to the Red Dessert as punishment to train with the Silent Assassins. I adored the Mute Master and even though we dont really see mu
Mel Anie
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Throne of Glass fans
Recommended to Mel by: Poll voters
I've read this novella as a part of 'Assassin's Blade' collection of stories.

Review:
Rating: 4 solid stars ✨

The Assassin and the Desert turned out to be a well balanced read. In this book we witness Celaena's quest to the Guild of Silent Assassins. Her task might appear to be easy, but is it?

Well paced with a pinch of surprise and healthy dose of emotions. Truly pleasant read. I recommend this to each and every fan of Throne of Glass.
Veronica
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books
4.5
Questa novella mi è piaciuta tantissimo!
Sarah J. Maas sei un genio.
AMO il personaggio di Celaena.
AMO le atmosfere in cui si svolge la storia.
Penso che questa saga sarà un crescendo di emozioni *.*
Timea
May 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-slovak
Veľmi sa mi páčia tieto novely. Zatiaľ táto bola najlepšia :)
Leah Bosward
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people about to read empire of storms
Great origin story of how Aelin met Ansel. Recommend it for anyone about to read Empire of Storms!

I really love the southern twang that Ansel has in the audiobook :D
Natalia
Nov 05, 2017 rated it liked it
This novellas are so much fun. Unfortunately this was probably my least favorite. It was long, but there were some parts which I found a bit boring. I liked that we got to see a bit from what happened after the first one. I really liked the end, he made a sweet gesture and that would really help her. Here Celaena was a bit different, in the previous ones she was a lot more confident and sarcastic.
Suzanne
Apr 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love these novellas!
Susan
Mar 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
In The Assassin and the Pirate Lord, we got to see the young, headstrong Celaena take on a entire port of pirates to defend what she believed in. It was swashbuckling adventure followed by edge-of-the-seat thrills, all wrapped up in clever dialogue and typical Celaena finesse.

And now, in The Assassin and the Desert, we get to enter into a new type of story. This novella has more mystery, more friendships (and enmities), and more character growth. But don't worry--there's still a whole lot of epi
Angela
Jul 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ya, kindle, 2016-read
This is my favorite so far of the novellas that I've read.

But - and maybe this is just me - I feel a little set adrift in these prequels. I mean I know, logically, that they're leading to something, but I can't really see what exactly. And that's probably purposefully. Additionally, because of the assassin angle, I find myself not trusting anyone. It makes it a bit hard to form attachments to characters - other than Calaena that is. The side effect of that is that I'm forming a closer attachmen
Dec 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Words cannot express how much I love the cruel, beautiful world Sarah Maas created. This story was full of so much beauty and pain, hope and regret, peacefulness and rage, I was basically glued to the pages and couldn't stop reading.
I'm eager and scared at the same time to continue reading these novellas. It'll mean more Celaena and Sam, but at the same time I know everything is going downhill from now on.
Carolina Carriço
Jan 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
I really can't understand how people can endure such things. I'd die under one of these trainings. Just reading about them makes me tired. But oh well. I really enjoyed this story and again I can see The Silent Assassins and/or Ansel showing up in the future. And I finally saw where the Spidersilk came from and how Celaena knew how to kill a Ironteeth.
Marga
Hmm, that certainly end well.

This novella promised to give you:

1. A kickass assassin
2. A great adventure
3. A cute guy
4. Another cute guy but is found on the other continent
5. Another cute guy (uh actually Celaena doesn't know about him yet.)
6. A pretty double-faced friend
7. A weird guy who makes you copy an asp's movement

Yup. That's pretty much it and more.
Grace (LovingDemBooks) Z.
Feb 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Buy this book HERE on Amazon or buy this book HERE on BookDepository with FREE WORLDWIDE SHIIPPING

4 of 5 stars (Please read my rating system further below). ANSEL. HOW DARE SHE.

My rating system: (I do use half stars.)
5 - I do not use the 5 star. Not because a book might not be worthy, but because a book is never perfect.
4 - I loved it! There weren't too many flaws, and I had no trouble getting through it. (A 4 star rating is the highest rating I've ever given a book.)
3 - I enjoyed the book,
Brooklyn Tayla
Jasmine
Actual rating: 4.5/5 silent stars
This is by far my most favorite one among all the 5 novellas! I love Celaena's journey to Red Desert, even if she was there for punishment. Those Silent Assassins were totally unprecedented newbies to me and their vow of silence was impressive. As for her training with The Master of the Silent Assassins, it was another incredible and surprisingly new technique. Lastly, I really love the ending of this story. She once again proved her qualification and her skill
Queen Maas' Assas...: TOG Novellas ~ The Assassin and the Desert 10 153 Dec 01, 2016 08:12PM
  • The Shattered Mountain (Fire and Thorns, #0.6)
  • The Witch of Duva (Grisha Verse, #0.5)
  • Among the Nameless Stars (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #0.5)
  • Iron's Prophecy (The Iron Fey, #4.5)
  • The Audition (Seraphina, #0.5)
  • The Witch's Betrayal (The Assassin's Curse #0.5)
  • Ferragost (Lumatere Chronicles, #2.5)
  • The Spring Before I Met You (The Lynburn Legacy, #0.25)
  • Bridge of Snow (The Winner's Trilogy, #0.5)
  • A Dawn Most Wicked (Something Strange and Deadly, #1.5)
  • Viper's Creed (The Cat's Eye Chronicles, #2)
  • Ice Study (Study, #3.6)
  • Elemental (Elemental, #0.5)
  • Roar and Liv (Under the Never Sky, #0.5)
  • Spider’s Nemesis (Elemental Assassin, #4.5)
  • The Ash-Born Boy (The Near Witch, #0.5)
  • Valkyrie Symptoms (Valkyrie, #0.5)
Sarah J. Maas is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of the Throne of Glass series (Queen of Shadows, Book 4, will be out in September 2015), as well as the A Court of Thorns and Roses series (out 5/5/15).

Sarah lives in Bucks County, PA, and over the years, she has developed an unhealthy appreciation for Disney movies and bad pop music. She adores fairy tales and ballet, drinks too
More about Sarah J. Maas

Throne of Glass (7 books)
  • Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1)
  • Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2)
  • Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass, #3)
  • Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass, #4)
  • Empire of Storms (Throne of Glass, #5)
  • Tower of Dawn (Throne of Glass, #6)
  • Kingdom of Ash (Throne of Glass, #7)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
  • Dread Nation
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
  • Six Wakes
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
“Words could be just as deadly as steel.” 184 likes
“If you can learn to endure pain, you can survive anything. Some people learn to embrace it—to love it. Some endure it through drowning it in sorrow, or by making themselves forget. Others turn it into anger. But Ansel let her pain become hate, and let it consume her until she became something else entirely—a person I don’t think she ever wished to be” 76 likes