Start by marking “Home Ice” as Want to Read:
Home Ice

Home Ice

(Razors Ice)

As Allison Monroe balances work, school and her elderly Gram, she has little time left for herself. Sure, she secretly dreams of a fairytale romance, but she is content living vicariously through her promiscuous, quirky best friend Izzy. However, Izzy has other plans. Intent on finding her friend a man, Izzy drags Ally to a local hockey game. Ally doesn’t know anything abo ...more
Published January 20th 2012 (first published January 13th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Home Ice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Home Ice

Jackie
Feb 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
I had a hard time with this novel. (note there might be slight spoilers ahead) The underlying story was great - regular girl meets up and coming star hockey player and they fall in love. But Ally was really hard to relate to. She had this perfect thing with Ben and for some ungodly reason she just kept saying no to a future with him. I didn't really understand her reluctance the first time Ben asks him to marry her. He is willing to bring her Grandma too and she can't even give a good reason tha ...more
Sherry Sweeney
Aug 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
So being a hockey mom and loving the sport, it always intriques me when I come across a hockey themed love story.

This story just really grabbed my attention quickly. Two best friends who are completely different go to a hockey game and it just goes from there, handsome jock of a hockey player who you think would be the typical jock type and turns out to be so far from that. He is a caring, genuine, super hot guy who just happens to be a superstar hockey player, (this is my hope for my son, a mom
The Bibliophile
Feb 19, 2012 rated it did not like it
I wanted to write a long, scathing review on how the female lead, Ally, irritated me with her I'm-so-pathetic-and-unworthy-of-your-attention attitude and how I found the male lead, Ben, to be unbelievable.

In the end I decided it's not worth it and deleted everything.

If you like books where the female lead thinks she's to ugly, poor, etc. to end up with the male lead, but eventually does this book is for you.
If you don't... stay away.

Emily
Allison Monroe spends most of her time working and caring for her grandmother. She doesn't have time to meet a man, but as fate would have it she bumps into Hockey player Benjamin Price who is curious about Ally. Ally and Ben begin to build something, but Ben's career takes a lot of travel and trust which Ally fully gives. The problem is when Ben leaves to play for another team, Ally can't uproot her life to go with him, or can she?

This for me was just ho hum. I liked the idea but it was a bit m
Tracy
Jun 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very good read! This book was hard for me to put down. Loved the characters. This was such a sweet story with emotion that brought tears at times and sometimes a little bit of anger. Really enjoyed it!
Kethnie
Jun 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What is so hot about hockey players. Great writing and even better plot.
Nancy
Dec 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
nice easy read! love the romance novels with the athletes!
Colleen
Jan 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Liked that this was equally a LOVE story as much as a steamy read. Love a good hockey romance!!!!!
Anne OK
Feb 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012-reads
Sometimes I just feel the need to read a sports romance. Hockey is not my favorite but it gets the job done especially when the storyline piques my attention. Two good main characters surrounded by an interesting and fun-to-read secondary cast. Hot, both on and off the ice, Ben Sinclair is tired of one-night stands, rink bunnines, and bars. He is looking for THE ONE but so far he's been looking in all the wrong places. Ally Monroe is just plain tired. She cares for her elderly and ailing grandmo ...more
Patty
Oct 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
Well... Allison is the most irritant character I have read about in long time... and I have been reading quite a lot.
It seemed she wanted to suffer. In the beginning it was quite nice her dedication to her job and her grams. Izzie brought some nice points to the story, as the crazy girl adding a little bit of flavour to Allison's dull existence.

However, when her romance with Ben is in its best, she stalls and freaks out. It felt like instead of getting out of her comfort zone and enjoy her life
Desiree
Apr 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
BORING. I found this book so weak that after about 3 chapters, I started skim reading, about a quarter way through I realized I didn't care about anyone, in fact, I didn't LIKE anyone! Her main character was ok, but her sidekick was a brainless slut 'with a designer bag', her romantic lead was a bore, in fact, everyone was a bore.

And even though the author gave back-stories and reveled their thoughts, I found this book read more like a summary, and a fact finding mission than a novel. I didn't
Erin
Aug 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Sometimes it was hard to tell exactly whose POV the author was writing from at any giving time. It wasn't just the two main characters that were having it was others as well but it wasn't in a very defined why where you knew for sure this person was talking/thinking and this person isn't. It would just be like a sentence from someone elses POV then back to the other.
Vanessa
Feb 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Good story even though Ally needed to snap out of it! The ending was good.
Grimm
Apr 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
this book is great! it has everything, well, almost everything :P ... the cover is bad :(
still, this book deserved 5 stars !!!!
Kristy Mills
This was a sweet love story. You couldn't help but fall in love with Ben. He was such a gentleman. One thing I loved about this book from the start was how honest they were with each other. The fell in love pretty fast and they had no problem telling each other that.

(view spoiler)
K.G. White
Aug 11, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book was pretty bad. It failed on almost every level. The characters were described in stereotypes, essentially. It was difficult to care about them at all, when all we had to go on were very shallow and vague generalizations. Ally Monroe is a poor, orphan girl struggling to make her way through college while taking care of her sick grandmother. Oh and she loves animals and babies of course. Ben Price is a devastatingly handsome professional athlete. His wealth and good-looks mean nothing t ...more
Gina
Sep 27, 2013 rated it liked it
This is the story of Ben and Allison --I would have definitely given this book a 5 star rating if Allison wasn't such an idiot! I really enjoyed the story though.... Allison has been raised by her grandparents after an accident claimed her parents lives. She lives with her gram who is 86 years old and takes care of her. She meets Ben by chance when she goes with her friend to a Razor's hockey practice. There is mutal attraction and the two fall in love! Ben then gets traded to Colorado and Allis ...more
Lindsay
Feb 18, 2012 marked it as to-read
Shelves: reviews, a-s-a-p
He may be a hottie, but that alone wasn't enough to hold my attention. For some reason this book and I are not getting along, so I'm putting it down to be read at a later date.

I love sports themed romances and I’m in the mood for one, but I guess not this particular one.

I’ll definitely try this again at a later date.

Just in case anyone is interested…this is the Ben I was seeing as I read:

Photobucket
Amber
Mar 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance-books
I really loved the story plot. I think the plot was a hit. The characters were excellent.

The reason I rated it 3 stars was because after Ally's big life change, I felt the writing went poorly. The book started out strong and ended weak. I won't lie...I had to skip a few pages because I became bored with the story and wanted to know how it ended.

This author has promise...I hope for future writing she is able to put forth the effort to finish a book strong.
Izzi
Feb 22, 2015 rated it liked it
The overall story is ok, maybe even good, but there are all these errors along the way that annoys me so much. Poor grammar, bad sentences, Grams is sleeping in the room, but suddenly she is out with Ruby, the flight time to Denver could not possibly be 6 hours and the list goes on... Has it even been edited at all? Hopefully the author gets a better editor, because she tells a pretty ok story. It just deserves better "wrapping".
Stacey
May 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
this book was cute, i loved ben. as for ally, ummm.......i think she created a little too much drama, and unnecessary heartbreak for herself, but in the end i guess it worked out. i do not think in real life a guy in ben's shoes would have been that patient, or remained faithful as he did while he was heartbroken. but maybe he would have.
an enjoyable book :D
Jill Fox
Apr 19, 2012 rated it liked it
This book was ok, but I have read better.

It seemed to drag on in some parts but there was some really good parts of the book as well.

Would have loved a small epilogue just to see how there happy ever after was going.
Shainna
May 31, 2012 rated it it was ok
Fairly predictable but decent airplane read. Surprised an editor let it pass with the errors it had (simple ones that should have been caught like its/it's, you're/your, and loss/lost/lose/loose variations). I enjoyed it enough to finish it but it's not really my style of book.
Emily

Steaminess: 4/10
HEA: (view spoiler)
Laura Hannaway
Aug 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was pretty much a 5* book throughout. However I had to knock off a star because the heroine's neurosis drove me up the wall, they were so unnecessary as every one of the supporting characters kept telling her! However the HEA was lovely and worth it in the end.
Chelsea
May 04, 2013 rated it liked it
It was a cute book. I liked that Ally wasn't your typical "supermodel" type of girl.
Melinda Lynch
Jan 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I was always confused tho by who's POV it was. Also I was disappointed by the way it just ended I wanted to no more I feel like there's more to it
CC
Aug 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Loved, loved, loved Ben! Really hated Ally. She made bad decisions right up until the end. It was hard to not want to strangle her!
Nikki
Nov 20, 2013 rated it liked it
2.5-3 stars
Larissa
Oct 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
Cute love story but with not much depth.

• Heart On Ice
  • Thin Ice
  • Scoring Lacey
  • Chasing Stanley (New York Blades, #5)
  • Taking Charge
  • Out at Home
  • Faceoff (Heller Brothers, #2)
  • Go Small or Go Home (Toronto Series #2)
  • The Game of Love
  • Face-Off
  • On the Fly (Las Vegas Sinners, #1)
  • Sweet Spot (Richmond Rogues, #5)
  • Hired (Hot Ice, #1)
  • In It To Win It (Deadlines & Diamonds, #2)
  • Off Her Game (Texas Highlanders Ice Hockey, #1)
Rachelle Vaughn loves reading all genres of romance and writing about good guys, hunky hockey players, and the occasional bad boy. When she isn't writing, Rachelle enjoys watching action movies, snapping photos for her travel blog Vaughn the Road Again, and cheering for her favorite hockey players. She lives in California with her husband and their sassy calico cat.

Sign up for her newsletter here.

Razors Ice (8 books)