Start by marking “A Field of Poppies” as Want to Read:

A work of Women's Fiction

Two families. One Secret.
Separated by a river and twenty years of lies.

Two families. One secret.
Separated by a river and twenty years of lies.

Five minutes changed Poppy Sadler’s life forever. Tick. The hospital called. Her mother’s battle with cancer was finally over. Tock. The police showed up at her door. Her father’s body has just been pulled fr
Published January 18th 2012 by Sharon Sala Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Field of Poppies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Field of Poppies

Start your review of A Field of Poppies
Kami Bee
Nov 09, 2013 rated it did not like it
I gather this was a self-published book and it's obvious why. Poor writing and total unbelievability abounds!

(view spoiler)
Jacqueline J
Mar 27, 2015 rated it liked it
This was pretty different from Sala's regular style. I expected a romance but while Poppy fell in love it was only one element of this book. I would really consider this more of a drama. There were a lot of characters and nearly everyone got parts in their POV. There were a couple of characters who got a significant page time. Mostly Poppy and her biological father. Frankly I liked him better than her. I did enjoy that he was written as a well rounded character rather than a stereotype of an old ...more
Dawn ♥ romance
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I was captivated by this romantic suspense from start to finish even though the majority was who-done-it and the last section was the romance. There were lots of heart-tugging moments especially at the beginning and the end. Poppy learns that her mother just died of cancer then five minutes later she is told her father was murdered.
Jan 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was a new area for Sala to write in and her very first self pub book because her publishers did not think her fans would accept her going into another genre. But from reading the reviews on facebook all of her loyal fan have purchased the book and have liked it.

Overall the book was very good. And I look forward to read more books by Sharon in this area as well as in her romantic suspense books and I love.
Tonya Lucas
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an phenomenal book of deception, murder, and family secrets.
Sharon Sala has an amazing ability writing books that not only throws unexpected twist into the mix, but the uncanny ability to grab her readers heartstrings in a turbulent storyline.
Family secrets can and will destroy, but what’s worse are the dirty hands playing a chess game of deception with everlasting destruction.
Truths hidden out of malice can’t be forgiven, but remember secrets have a way of resurfacing.
Ms. Sala definitely
Suze
Mar 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A FIELD OF POPPIES

Poppy learns of her parents deaths from different causes, one cancer, one murder, virtually at the same time. Her world is spinning out of control, while trying to solve the murder the rug is pulled out from under Poppy. Poppy is a wonderful character, the story focuses on how she survives and thrives.
Ari
Apr 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-mm
3,5 stars ^^

Drama, family drama always be my comfort zone. Add a bit mystery and romance, then I'll be a sucker.

In that rainy morning, Poppy's life changes in less than five minutes. A call from hospital tell that her mother died, then 2 cop in front of her door tell that they just pull out her father's body from the river. All these bad circumtances lead her into finding the truth about her mother and herself.

At 40% of this book I've already know how'll this story going to be, but I'm too caugh
Cindy
Feb 09, 2014 rated it liked it
This is the first book of this author's that I have read and from other reviews, I understand that it is different from her usual genre. This book seems to have a bit of everything: murder, crazy homeless people, illicit affairs, long buried family secrets, haves and have-nots separated by a river into two sides of a city, loss, illnesses, death, and redemption. Though at times the story was very moving, and at other times shocking, I found it hard to suspend my inner cynic. The plot seemed so i ...more
Raine
Aug 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What I love most when reading a Sharon Sala book is guessing who the suspect/killer is in here novels. Her stories never failed to give me goosebumps specially when I read it with my bedside lamp as my only companion. She portrays her heroine not by the stereotypical damsel in distress but as a strong, independent woman capable of handling things on her own and at the same time capable of such strong emotions it never failed it make me cry. And for that this novel earned the perfect 5 star and p ...more
Tammy White
Feb 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"A departure from the "norm" for Sharon Sala, Field of Poppies was turned down by the big-name publisher, because of fear that Sharon's fans wouldn't "follow" her into an another genre." Crazy thought because Sharon's Sala's style always feels like home. There is such a genuine honesty to her storytelling that you literally feel the breath of her characters. This book may be outside the "norm" but true Sharon Sala fans will follow her down whatever journey her brilliant imagination wants to take ...more
Shannon
Jul 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love Sharon Sala. I have never been dissapointed by her work. This was not my favorite. But, it was very good. The book had my attention from the very beginning. I do think it was a little predictable, but I still liked it.Did anyone else have a problem with the dates of when Poppie was born and when her mother was born? Maybe it was just an error since I downloaded it on my Nook. Petty, I know. But, things like that drive me nuts.
Kim Beck
May 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This one of those books that give you a book hangover. It was heartwrenching, it was healing and it was a truly spectacular book. The author weaved so many story lines off one main one that it keeps you reading just so you can out how it all comes together. All the characters were amazing composed, their lives touchable. This author has ability to do what other authors sometimes miss. Looking forward to reading more from this author
Shirley Wine
Jan 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
A superb read although the timeline was slightly off in places and had me scratching my head and going back to work out characters ages. But apart from this A Field Of Poppies was vintage Sharon Sala.
Karen
Feb 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book..It made me laugh and cry..It's a story about love,loss,trust and learning to forgive..Would highly recommend it!! ...more
gj indieBRAG
Jul 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderdul book- it has just been honored with a B.R.A.G.Medallion!
Miss Maureen
Apr 30, 2020 rated it liked it
This could have been a 5 star book, but I didn't like Poppy. At all. She was such a bitter, hating woman, I couldn't wait till it ended.
I love all of Sharon Sala's books. I love all of the characters she creates. I disliked everything about Poppy. Even when the little sister tries to be reach out to her, she is cold and mean to her. Mike, the cop, likes her. But, I can't understand why. She is the worst character Ms. Sala's has ever written.
Emilie Davis
Feb 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a keeper!!

Sals has done it again. She can pluck a heartstring from a mile away. This is at least a 2 hankie story, maybe more. Secrets always come out, particularly the older they are and usually at the most inopportune times. Sala’s magic however, renders this story memorable and one of her best.
Amanda  D'souza
Nov 20, 2016 rated it liked it
This was an okay read for me. Nothing really special in my opinion. The murderer was revealed very early in the book, and once that was done, that was it for me. I struggled through the rest, which was basically the various' characters attempts at family reconciliation.
Connie S. Gibson
A Field of Poppies

This should be a Hallmark movie. It made me cry more then any book I have ever read. It has mystery, drama and heart felt love. I think most girlfriend's would love this book. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
Judi
May 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sharon Sala never disappoints,

Sala paints a picture of family pain and struggle followed by redemption and love. True Sala style a crime is solved well. She never ends a story before it’s time. Well done,
Kathryn Carney
Jun 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very Good Book!

This is the second Sharon Sala book I've read, I enjoy her writing very much. Must say, the story in A Field of Poppies is very unusual with that touch of romance I so enjoy.
Billie L.Tripp
Nov 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Get your hankie out and prepare for a good cry.

98% of Sharon Sala's books are magnificent. This is among the best. It's about youthful love and indiscretion and the terrible things family hubris can impact many futures. You'll love it.
Ruth Hambley
Nov 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
|I love the way Sharon Sala writes and thoroughly enjoyed this one. Well written romantic fiction .
Betty Melton
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Field of Poppies

Excellent! I am really liking this author. This my 4th book and want to read more! She really tells a compelling story.
Ellen Anderson
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Poppy

I loved reading this story. Felt a bit lost though with the abrupt ending. Just wish there had been a little more.
Adrianna Lamm
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent story line I liked way the story unfolded and one which held your attention throughout. Not predictable at all. A great book with murder mystery and romance.
Carla  Burns
Jan 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!

I have read most of Sharon Sala's books. I am never disappointed. But this one was wonderful! I highly recommend it!
Linda Anderson
Dec 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
A Good Story

The character development was very good. The story was both heart wrenching and heart warming. The goodness in people was so strong throughout the book.
Charlee Bailey
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've had this book for years and never got around to reading it, since I love Sharon Sala, I've been moving her books to my TBR pile and I can't figure out why I didn't read it a long time ago. It's a great read but bear in mind this was written before the internet and cell phones were prevalent. This the a story of the haves and have not's in a small town. Poppy Sadler has lost both her parents on the same day, one murdered and the other from illness. They aren't rich, there was no reason to ki ...more
Misty
Feb 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I was once told by Sharon that Cat Dupree was her all time favorite character and to this point I had to agree with her. However she has so completely outdone Cat Dupree in this novel that I can’t see any character ever comparing.
Sharon Sala’s A Field of Poppies reminded me of the very reasons why I fell in love with the romance genre. This book has more heart written into each word than any other book I’ve read in years. It will make you cry, it will make you laugh, and it lends meaning to forg
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Perfect Lie
  • Bloodlines
  • Touchstone
  • Tallchief
  • Spirit Bound (Sea Haven/Sisters of the Heart, #2)
  • Fire Bound (Sea Haven/Sisters of the Heart, #5)
  • Chase the Moon
  • Close Up (Burning Cove #4)
  • White Mountain
  • The Sea Glass Cottage
  • Down the Darkest Road (Cady Maddix Mystery, #2)
  • Ruthless Cross (Off The Grid: FBI #6)
  • The Country Guesthouse (Sullivan's Crossing, #5)

Biography

Sharon Sala is a long-time member of RWA, as well as a member of OKRWA. She has 100 plus books in print, published in five different genres – Romance, Young Adult, Western, Fiction, and Women’s Fiction. First published in 1991, she’s an eight-time RITA finalist, winner of the Janet Dailey Award, five-time Career Achievement winner from RT Magazine, five time winner of the National Reader