Start by marking “The Dead Family Díaz” as Want to Read:
The Dead Family Díaz

The Dead Family Díaz

Little Angelito Díaz is feeling scared. It’s the Day of the Dead, when he and his family must walk among the Living. And his sister says they are all hot and squishy, with bulging eyes and crazy hair! Will he make it back, still dead and in one piece? Or will Angelito find himself lost in the Land of the Living forever?
Published August 2nd 2012 by Dial Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Dead Family Díaz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dead Family Díaz

Ed
Sep 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really wish that the illustrator Poly Bernatene lived in the U.S., as this would be one of my picks for the Caldecott award. I love the illustrations, and I think it could definitely be in the discussion if it were eligible. This is the second book this year that I have loved that wasn't eligible, and it makes me a bit sad. I also loved Outside Your Window: A First Book of Nature, but since the illustrator Mark Hearld is from the U.K., it isn't eligible.
The story is a lot of fun, and with al
Jo Oehrlein
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Reminds me of Dear Dragon but the fear factor/sense of "other" is stronger.

A dead family is headed to the live world because it's the Day of the Dead. The little dead boy hears all sorts of scary things about the live people (mostly thanks to his older sibling). He's frightened.

Once in the live world, the family gets separated. The dead boy meets a live boy in a skeleton costume. They play together until they realize that one is live and the other dead. At the end, they meet up again and realiz
Maria
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It’s Nov. 1st and Angelito is anxious to walk among the land of the living. He’s heard horror stories about what the living do to scare away the dead, and he’s heard that if you touch one of them they are all hot and squishy, GROSS! As Angelito and his family make their way to the land of the living, he becomes separated from his family and runs into Pablo. They are both hiding, but what they don’t know is that one is from the land of the living, and the other from the land of the dead. Will the ...more
Lina
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always enjoy a sweet story about a boy and a monster.
I wanted to read my niece a bedtime story, and well,
I'm not one to choose a story with pretty princesses and fluttery fairies.
I prefer to read something dark and creepy.
However
this was a good mix of sweet and creepy.
She enjoyed the story and I got to look at wonderful art.
On top of that,
It's nice to share a story that has to do with our culture.
Sierra Fresh
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is really cute. It teaches about dia de los muertos, the Day of the Dead. Its illustrations are beautiful and add important cultural details about what one would find in a celebration of the holiday. The book would be a great read aloud to create more cultural awareness.
John
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I like this book because this is not just one holiday: it's ten holidays or four holidays or I don't know. I think it's five. And this person gets took and he lives in the live world, but he gets tooken to the world where skeletons live. And someone thought the was a skeleton.
Brett
What a fun & unusual take on the phrase "They're just as scared of you as you are of them"...
Adrianne Rosal
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Totally love the artist work in this one!! This is a very cute one for Day if the Dead.
Ashley
Jul 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid 3 stars. Cute story, love the illustrations.
Sandy
Nov 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It's time to go among the living and Angelito is not quite sure he's ready for the trip. His sister has scared him with comments of humans with big red tongues, bulging eyes, and squishy hot flesh while his parents are trying to calm him. His parent inform him for just one day very soon, they will travel up top. Up there, the Living and the Dead will come together like they do every year as friends, to celebrate and he should not be afraid. The day arrives and the families of the Dead all gather ...more
Jordyn Agost
The Dead Family Diaz is about a dead family who travels to the living. The dead travel above to the living every year on the holiday, "El Dia de los Muertos" which means the Day of the Dead. The young boy in the family, Angelito was terrified to go above because his older sister had told him how terrible the living was. When the family goes up, Angelito separates from the family and end up playing with another young boy whom he believed was another boy from the dead. Pablo was actually alive how ...more
Christine Turner
Oct 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: day-of-the-dead, fear

A fresh, funny take on the Day of the Dead that's packed with kid appeal Every skeleton in the Land of the Dead is excited to celebrate el Día de los Muertos with the Living. But not Angelito. His big sister has told him all about their horrifying bulgy eyes and squishy skin. So when Angelito is separated from his family in the Land of the Living, he's petrified--until he makes a new friend who is just as terrified of THEM as Angelito is. Then his new buddy turns out to be (gulp!) a living boy!
Gabrielle Blockton
Date: November 12th, 2014

Author: P.J. Bracegirdle; Pictures by Poly Bernatene

Title: The Dead Family Diaz

Plot: The Day of the Dead is finally here! The Diaz family is very excited to visit the "Land of the Living", except for the very scared Angelito. Will the big red tongues and bulging eyes that the humans possess scare Angelito into never coming back to the "Land of the Living" again?

Setting: The Land of the Dead; The Land of the Living; Diaz's household

Characters: Estrellita; Angelito; Mr. a
Barbara
The Day of the Dead gets a hilarious send-off in this appealing picture book filled with digital artwork filled with dark colors and wonderful facial expressions. Angelito and the other members of the Diaz family head off to the Land of the Living, but Angelito is anxious due to the gruesome--to him!--descriptions of the living his older sister Estrellita has shared: They have "big red tongues and bulging eyes," and "they feel all hot and squishy" (unpaged). Angelito is thrilled to make a new fr ...more
Kim
Jun 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Kristen
Oct 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Beautifully illustrated version of Dia de Los Muertos- from the perspective of a skeleton boy who is terrified of seeing living people. After accidentally befriending a masked living boy, Angelito realizes they're not that scary. Great metaphor for prejudice, gorgeous intro to this jewel of Mexican culture, good example of Latino characters.
Rachel Grover
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Super cute! I love that this book shows the alternate perspective of the dead being the main characters. Overall, I appreciated the story but I feel like it could have explored more about day of the dead activities/customs. Nice after note. Will purchase for my MS library to supplement the Spanish classes' study of this holiday.
Janet Emmett
Dec 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book tells about Dia de los Muertos from the perspective of a dead family. Angelito, the son, accidentally befriends Pablo, a living boy, when the Diaz family comes to the land of the living for the Day of the Dead. A fun way to introduce children to to the custom of honoring and remembering our deceased relatives
Shannon
Jan 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
A family of skeletons is getting ready to go up to the land of the living for Dia De Los Muertos. The littlest gets separated and scared and ends up meeting a human child. They both discover that they didn't need to be scared of each other. This was a more suspenseful than Moira is comfortable with, but she liked the ending.
Kayla
Dec 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
the dead family Diaz is about angelito's family celebrating the day of the dead but he is scared about the celebration. this would be a great book to read around Halloween. its a great way to talk about the differences between the two cultures and what each one does the same and different.
Lorna
Sep 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
I liked the illustrations, and enjoyed the flip of focusing on the Dead's perspective on the Day of the Dead celebrations. Kids familiar with the celebration might enjoy this one, though I found the story and dialogue, in particular really awkward.

Chacha Centeno
Vocabulary and appearance, friend instead of family, fear of a belief that is tied to culture. This story doesn't grasp the importance of honoring the dead, of remembering. It doesn't depict what it means for ancestors to be with us.
Amber W
Oct 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
We loved it.
Elizabeth
I enjoyed this book a lot :)

(I can't tell if the author is actually of Mexican heritage or not -- he was born in Montreal, and digging doesn't get me much autobiographical information.)
Jacqueline
Aug 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic art, and a laugh out loud storyline make this one of my favorite books of 2012.
Sharon Lawler
Colors and traditions of Day of the Dead as seen through the eyes of two boys, one living and one decidedly dead. Kids will love it!
Allison
Sep 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
el dia de los muertos!
Nov 04, 2015 rated it liked it
It was cute. not a lot about dia de los muerte.
Bethe
Nov 09, 2015 rated it liked it
A turn of the tables for for a story about being afraid of meeting new people. Be sure to check out the endpages!
Linda Atkinson
Aug 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
day of the dead
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Born in Montreal, P. J. Bracegirdle has done everything from keeping the stage door of a haunted old Scottish theater to pushing laundry carts along dark tunnels under an insane asylum. His last job involved pretending to write thick manuals nobody really read for products few people ever used.

"Becoming an author was my life's work," says PJB, "if, that is, a life's work can consist of staring off