Start by marking “All the Old Lions” as Want to Read:
All the Old Lions

All the Old Lions

3.54  ·  Rating details ·  57 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
ebook, Kindle Edition
Published 2011 (first published October 1994)

To ask other readers questions about All the Old Lions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All the Old Lions

Yvonne Montgomery
Feb 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Carol Caverly's All the Old Lions introduces Thea Barlow, a young, go-getting editor whose current project involves an old-time Wyoming whorehouse called Halfway Halt. Minnie Darrow, sister of the past owner, is writing a book about the bordello, but not everyone in the small town of Hijax is anxious to read it. Acts of vandalism have Minnie scared, and she asks Thea to come stay a few days until the book is finished. When Thea arrives in Hijax, it's up to her to sort out the good, the bad, and ...more
judy
Mar 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fun, interesting mystery set in Wyoming. Well written, good character development and lots of surprises that you don't anticipate. An added touch of a sweet romance that doesn't have them tearing off each other's clothing. Want to read the follow up story to see what happens in Max's and Thea's future.
Suzanne Young
Jan 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book combines an entertaining story with a wonderful writing style. A little humor, a little romance and a well-plotted mystery bring a small western town to life with memorable characters and a suspenseful, delightfully-choreographed conclusion. I enjoyed reading this one not only for the story, but for the pleasure of Carol Caverly's smooth writing skill.
Wayne Bancroft
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a total surprise. The story was fantastic and the writing was excellent! I loved this book and will be getting the rest of the books in this series!
Glen
Feb 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, cozies
A very slow mystery about a city girl who goes to Wyoming to visit an author of old western tales. She's a complete fish out of water, and none too bright, either.

After screwing around for half the book, we finally get to the mystery, which isn't much, and Ms. Barlow doesn't even solve it.

I was underwhelmed.
Martha
Jul 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fun, though a bit predictable, story! Loved the older folks in the story and the pretty darned dense lead character, Thea. She is one of those women in the movies who goes into a dark alley with a known killer and is surprised when she's attacked. You know the kind, we yell at "Don't do it!" and the music swells. Cute book, great palate cleanser. Not a terrible mystery. Gosh, darn it, it was fun!
Catherine
Jul 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Catherine by: B&N Free Fridays
4.5 stars! Loved it, loved her writing style. The mix of Western and mystery was refreshing, as was her clean language. She thoroughly hooked me into the mystery, had me trying to figure it out all the way. I can't wait to read the next one!
Tiffany Tinkham-Graves
Jul 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An instafreebie book that I was asked to read for a review. Well lets just say I loved the main character, Thea, and her eagerness to solve a nearly hopeless mystery from the past.

Kept me wondering what was going to happen on the next page the farther I read along the story.
Catherine
May 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy-mystery
A unique story, an unexpected setting, great story-telling!
Melva
Jul 16, 2015 rated it liked it
First book by the author I have read. Funny in parts. Mystery included. A good read.
Mary
Jul 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Nook Free Friday
Roger
Jul 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
I am not the target audience If I was I would give it 3 to 4 stars.
Dianne
Jul 12, 2015
Sandra
Aug 11, 2015
Brian Carney
rated it did not like it
Jul 30, 2015
Jacqueline
Mar 01, 2016
Jennifer Seefeldt
Sep 21, 2015
Carol is the author of the Thea Barlow Wyoming Mystery series, All the Old Lions, Frogskin and Muttonfat, and Dead In Hog Heaven. Her books were also selections of the Detective Book Club.
Though raised in a suburb of Chicago, Il, Carol married into an old pioneer Wyoming ranch family outside of Gillette, Wyoming where she and her husband raised a large family.
Her books reflect her love of Wyomi
More about Carol Caverly...