Start by marking “Love Was Never Wise” as Want to Read:
Love Was Never Wise

Love Was Never Wise

No head never ruled a human heart ... and love was never wise.

When tragedy alters Susan Gray's standing in society, she's forced to accept a position as housekeeper of the Duke of Gohrum's London mansion where she loses her heart to Leopold Singer, a handsome foreigner who shares her love of philosophy and reminds her of her former life as a lady.

When Mr. Singer shows up
Published January 17th 2012 by Beastie Press

To ask other readers questions about Love Was Never Wise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Was Never Wise

Start your review of Love Was Never Wise
Laura Eno
May 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This sweeping saga of intertwining lives spans two continents and three generations, weaving a rich tapestry of love, lies, deceit, loss and victory. Rigel brings each of her complex characters to life within the framework of history in such a manner that you'll experience the hidden constraints of even the most powerful people – and squirm at the choices thrust upon everyone else. Small details smoothly anchor the historical setting and place the reader in the moment.

What grabbed me the most wa
Jessica Gibson
Feb 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The sheer size of this book was kind of daunting at first, but the story drew me right in. I loved every second of this book, I was actually sad when it ended.

The Loves of Leopold Singer is a historical romance/family saga type book, it takes you across the world and back again. L.K. Rigel has woven together the lives of all the various characters beautifully. I felt as though I knew the characters intimately by the end. If you are a lover of historical romances, this is the book for you.
Delphina
Jan 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
I admit, I got this book because I love the author. It was the only book of hers I did not have. That being said, it is not at all my normal read. I love to read about futuristic societies, vampires, werewolves, space, all sorts of thing in the "it could never happen" category. If this had been another author, I probably would not have given it a second look and it would have been 100% my loss.

I really really enjoyed this book. The way the character's live intertwined over the years was fascinat
Literary  Chanteuse
Jan 28, 2012 rated it liked it
This story is very much in the style of classic epic novels and it slowly reels the reader in very early on. There is quite a lot of characters, not wholly unexpected in this type of saga but closer to the end there is a possibility of becoming somewhat overwhelmed. Regardless the main characters have a very strong presence which linger in your mind. Having expected this to play out a bit more in the romantic genre it is surprisingly not sugar coated by any means. It shows a side of historic so ...more
Kbee
Oct 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Don't know how I should feel about it. I don't think I've read this type of writing before.

The beginning was kind of hard to follow. The caracters were like thrown here and there. I thought it was going to be about fairies, it was not!
Rich, poor, English, Austrian, American,Jamaican. Really a bizarre book.(LOL) What a mix confusing story.
In the end I did get it.
More bastard born babies in a book I've never seen before but they all come out pretty good one way or the other. Lots of deceit, lies
Maryalice
Apr 26, 2012 rated it liked it
I have never been able to get into romances. A good adventure with some romance yes, but not a romance. I thought I would try an historical romance, from the other reviews i thought maybe being broken up into short stories would help, but no luck. I quickly lose interest and was just reading words. The story was well written, I think, just not that I like. I gave it 3 stars because like I said, I think the author wrote well.
Linda
Feb 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Ms. Rigel has outdone herself, in this breakaway book. This is a book lust and love, of Leopold Singer and how his life touched others. It goes from Europe to America and back weaving threads into a huge tapestry of lives. It runs the gamut of emotions, causing you to love & hate the characters as they interact and age.

I highly recommend this book.
Kim
Jan 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Wow. Long, and very involved. There were a lot of characters to keep straight, and a lot of story threads to weave together. I was left wondering several times if all the threads would bind together in the end. Not to worry, they did. While not my favorite of L.K. Rigel's work, it was interesting and fun to read her telling of a "no magic" epic romance saga.
Spoiledduchess
Jan 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is an awesome story. Review to follow.
Julie
Jun 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Review to come!! I loved it!
Melinda Etzold
Carmen kitt
Jul 01, 2015
Romantic Historic...: The Loves of Leopold Singer 1 43 Feb 08, 2012 08:01PM
LK Rigel is the author of the Apocalypto series:
Space Junque, Spiderwork, and Firebird; and the Wyrd and Fae series: Give Me, Bride of Fae, Fever Mist, and A Glimmering Girl.

Her My Mr. Rochester (Jane Eyre Retold) a retelling of the Gothic novel set in a future utopia.

Her short story Slurp is included in Deadly Treats, an anthology edited by Anne Frasier from Nodin Press. Rigel's writing has also