Start by marking “Cocaine Blues (Phryne Fisher, #1)” as Want to Read:
Cocaine Blues (Phryne Fisher, #1)

Cocaine Blues (Phryne Fisher #1)

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  13,838 Ratings  ·  1,856 Reviews
This is where it all started! The first classic Phryne Fisher mystery, featuring our delectable heroine, cocaine, communism and adventure. Phryne leaves the tedium of English high society for Melbourne, Australia, and never looks back. The London season is in full fling at the end of the 1920s, but the Honorable Phryne Fisher—she of the green-gray eyes, diamant garters and ...more
Published January 5th 2012 by Poisoned Pen Press (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Cocaine Blues, please sign up.

Delia Binder No, they're not - Phyrne's much younger in the books (late Twenties), and Jack is a decade older (early Fifties) and still married.

I believe the…more

I believe the "Caskett" relationship between Phyrne and Jack initially came about as a result of casting the fortysomething Essie Davis as Phyrne (who I think is more believable, given the character's accomplishments), and her obvious chemistry with co-star Nathan Page as Jack. (less)

Brina
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
As part of my ongoing quest to read both women writers from around the globe and a variety of mystery series, I was lead to the work of Kerry Greenwood. Greenwood is the author of over thirty novels, and Cocaine Blues is the first of her Phryne Fisher cases. Set in the 1920s in her native Melbourne, Australia, Greenwood delivers a historical mystery that is fast paced summer fun.

Phryne Fisher is part of the English upper classes and has no desire to marry any time soon despite the best wishes o
Richard Derus

COCAINE BLUES (Phryne Fisher #1)
KERRY GREENWOOD
Poisoned Pen Press
$14.95 trade paper, available now

Rating: 3* of five

The Publisher Says: Honorable Miss Phryne Fisher solves theft in 1920s London High Season society, and sets her clever courage to poisoning in Melbourne, Australia. She - of green eyes, diamant garters and outstanding outfits - is embroiled in abortion, death, drugs, communist cabbies - plus erotic Russian dancer Sasha de Lisse. The steamy end finds them trapped in Turkish baths.

My
Phrynne
Dec 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read this book a long, long time ago and I had forgotten just how good it is. Since then I have read the whole series up to date and have enjoyed every one of them. In this first book we are introduced to the amazing Miss Fisher and we quickly find out the basic facts about her charmed and charming life. I enjoy all the little details about life at that time, about the clothes they wore (and Phryne Fisher wears lots of different clothes. Sometimes she changes four or five times in a day! ...more
Dana Stabenow
Jan 10, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fully enfranchised flapper in Melbourne after the first War, Phryne Fisher is a heroine after anyone's heart, and Greenwood's prose does her full justice. Take this, for example:

Phryne Fisher had a taste for young and comely men, but she was not prone to trust them with anything but her body.

Or

Phryne, carrying the cocktail, decanted it unobtrusively into a potted palm against which she had no personal grudge, and hoped that it would not give her away by dying too rapidly.

In this first novel sh
Lisa
Sep 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am madly in love with the savvy, promiscuous, and fashionable Phryne Fisher. The best part is that I just now discovered the series: 19 books in all so far (Cocaine Blues is the first)! I picked up the newest in the series at the lib and read a few pages and was hooked. I forced myself to put it down and go get this one and start at the beginning. Such fun. Five stars!
BrokenTune
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
2.5*

"Phryne leaned on the ship's rail. listening to the seagulls announcing that land was near, and watched for the first hint of sunrise. She had put on her lounging robe, of a dramatic oriental pattern of green and gold, an outfit not to be sprung suddenly on invalids or those of nervous tendencies - and she was rather glad that there was no one on deck to be astonished. It was five o'clock in the morning."

As much as I love the tv series, the book series will not one that I will continue with.
Kathryn
Feb 15, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Let me begin by saying that Phryne Fisher is one of my favorite characters to come along in awhile. After reading only a few pages, I felt that here was a girl to befriend! I'm afraid that I'd be rather more like her maid, Dot, "Oh, no, miss. Surely nice girls don't wear dresses like THAT!" but there is certainly something to admire in Phryne's wild exuberance for life, and her passion for following her own mind and heart, despite what her upper-crust society would say about it! Even if she does ...more
Jenny (Reading Envy)
I would never have come across this book without the huge master lists created by the members of the Around the World in 52 Books challenge that I've been participating in since January. The book title under Australia caught my attention, and when I read the description, I thought it sounded like a fun read. A lady detective in Melbourne, in the 1920s?

I wasn't wrong. I haven't had so much fun reading a mystery novel in a long time. There were moments that made me laugh, and others where I was of
Lorena
Nov 15, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
3.5 stars. I think the best 4-word summary of this book would be "Nancy Drew Gone Wild." (Which, in my world anyway, is high praise.) Kerry Greenwood makes the most of her Roaring 20s setting and her glamorous heroine. Phryne Fisher is not without her flaws, and she is not entirely unscathed by life, but she is refreshingly free of needless self-doubt and insecurity, which makes for a nice change from many of the endlessly neurotic characters that populate so many modern books.
Sue
Sep 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm well and truly addicted to this series now. First I read the most recent entry, Murder and Mendelssohn. Now I've read the first book. On to the others. It's possible to see how Greenwood has developed both her characters and her writing style, but it's also obvious that she has had an over-arching theme from the beginning. I also enjoy how she manages to address contemporary themes in the guise of 1920s issues.

Onward to more Phryne Fisher mysteries!
  • A Royal Pain (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #2)
  • Murder on the Flying Scotsman (Daisy Dalrymple, #4)
  • Dying In the Wool (Kate Shackleton, #1)
  • Room with a Clue (Pennyfoot Hotel #1)
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
  • After the Armistice Ball (Dandy Gilver, #1)
  • Million Dollar Baby (A Marjorie McClelland Mystery, #1)
  • Among the Mad (Maisie Dobbs, #6)
  • The Last Kashmiri Rose (Joe Sandilands, #1)
  • Bellfield Hall (A Dido Kent Mystery #1)
  • A Dissection of Murder (Dr Dody McCleland, #1)
Kerry Greenwood was born in the Melbourne suburb of Footscray and after wandering far and wide, she returned to live there. She has a degree in English and Law from Melbourne University and was admitted to the legal profession on the 1st April 1982, a day which she finds both soothing and significant.

Kerry has written twenty novels, a number of plays, including The Troubadours with Stephen D'Arcy,
More about Kerry Greenwood...

Phryne Fisher (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Flying Too High (Phryne Fisher, #2)
  • Murder on the Ballarat Train (Phryne Fisher, #3)
  • Death at Victoria Dock (Phryne Fisher, #4)
  • The Green Mill Murder (Phryne Fisher, #5)
  • Blood and Circuses (Phryne Fisher, #6)
  • Ruddy Gore (Phryne Fisher, #7)
  • Urn Burial (Phryne Fisher, #8)
  • Raisins and Almonds (Phryne Fisher, #9)
  • Death Before Wicket (Phryne Fisher, #10)
  • Away with the Fairies (Phryne Fisher, #11)
“I have a theory that kitchens, once they reach a certain level of complexity, attract new gadgets into their orbit, like planets. Only this can account for the fact that I own two melon ballers.” 18 likes
“Had she been at all used to blushing, she would have blushed, but she wasn't, so she didn't.” 18 likes