Start by marking “The Assassin's Curse (The Emperor's Edge, #2.5)” as Want to Read:
The Assassin's Curse (The Emperor's Edge, #2.5)

The Assassin's Curse (The Emperor's Edge #2.5)

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  2,043 Ratings  ·  91 Reviews
When outlaws Amaranthe and Sicarius chance upon spies stealing military prototypes, they immediately give chase. Well, immediately after Amaranthe talks Sicarius, former assassin and all-around non-altruistic type, into the mission. She wants an imperial pardon, and what better way to attract the emperor’s favor than by looking after the empire’s interests?

What seems like
Published January 16th 2012 (first published January 1st 2012)

Ann
Jan 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Assassin's Curse is a tough, short-paced short story adventure of the center pair of Lindsay Buroker's captivating "The Emperor's Edge" novel series. Fans of the series, especially A+S shippers, would not want to miss it! At least, I for sure loved every minute of reading it. :-)

Then why only 4 of 5 stars?
It's because Assassin's Curse suffers from a typical "established series in between short story illness": the indecision of whether to include all the details necessary for freshly visiting rea
Sierra
Nov 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a solid 3 star read (again focusing on a mini-adventure with Sicarius and Amaranthe) BUT THE LAST COUPLE OF PAGES.

Who knew I could have so many emotions.

I JUST SHIP THEM SO MUCH.
Hannah
Nov 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, steampunk
An Emperor's Edge adventure can never go wrong (for readers, anyway), particularly if it involves Amaranthe and Sicarius on a mission. This is exactly what we get in The Assassin's Curse, a fast-paced short story that follows the established set-up - Amaranthe's crazy schemes lead them on a wild adventure that quickly goes south. The main difference is that this story only involves Amaranthe and Sicarius on their own; I can't say I have any complaints, since I love it when the two of them get so ...more
Dyanna
Jan 25, 2018 rated it liked it
As always Sicarius & Amaranthe's interactions make me smile...
Lee
Jul 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, steam-punk
It's a quick read. Amaranthe and Sicarius are in the midst of another grueling training session when they come across evidence of wrongdoing against the Empire. Amaranthe convinces Sicarius they need to investigate, and from there launches a Halloween-ish chapter in the daily lives of Buroker's biggest characters.

"The Assassin's Curse" reveals a bit more of Sicarius' back story, but mainly, it's just a fun read. If I had to quibble, I could wish for some indication of where in the series timelin
Jane
Jun 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Very lovely, but unfortunately a bit too short for my tastes.
Beth
May 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
A very short novella with a quick story.
Deanne
Jul 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasyandscifi
Sicarius worried about going to a haunted island, surely not, but in this short story set between books two and three is does seem a bit unnerved, good job Amaranthe is going to then.
Claudia
Jan 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, novella
This is a nice novella with Sicarius and Amaranthe which gives some new insights on both of them. I Love this series!
Kelly
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Eep. I'm not sure seeing a Sicarius who isn't entirely in control is a good thing. The guy might be a non-emotional, utterly dedicated machine under normal circumstances (something I'm sure drives his comrades crazy when they're not quaking in fear around him), but not-Sicarius is kinda scary. Mostly because he's so insanely deadly.

Amaranthe is a brave woman to trust Sicarius as much as she does. But then, that's part of her charm. She believes in people and they rise up to her expectations. Eve
Jessica
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book
As a selfrespecting serious reader , I sometimes wonder if I should like this series as much as I do. The stories always go along the same lines, character development... Mwah, suprising world insights? Super special world building.. Hm well it's all just okay, but still I LOVE the books. Absolutely and unwaiveringly. This short story ticked all the boxes again, funny (mostly due to word play and cringegily funny one-sided dialogues), adventurous and a small hint of romance. Yay! A good palate c ...more
Kris
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Story is only 34 pages long, but Buroker makes fantastic use of every word. The action is tight, smmoth and nail biting. The emotions of the characters intense and realistic and the stinger at the end excellent.
Brian White
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoy Lindsey Buroker's adventure writing. This story centers on two characters and is, like most of her stories, fun and action packed. A good diverting read.
Peter Noll
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I can see why this is a separate short story. The supernatural aspect doesn't really fit in with the rest of the stories. It's a good short story anyway.
Mirjam
Feb 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
It was nice to see Sicarius hugging Amaranthe in this one. I know his aloofness is part of who he is, but it's good to get reminders that he's human now and then. I'd probably lose interest in him as a person (though not a character) otherwise. The creepy, haunted island made for a compelling setting.
Sara Meehan
Jan 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Fans of Lindsay Buroker's "Emperor's Edge" series will be happy to hear she's released a short story featuring Amaranthe and Sicarius to keep her readers busy while she finishes the fourth EE novel.

Scott
Jan 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Assassin's Curse by Lindsay Buroker is a short story set in the world of her Emperor's Edge series. This story only features Amaranthe and Sicarius out of the team and I missed the other characters a bit myself. This is a very quick read, but if you are a fan of the series like I am you look forward to everything you can get your hands on. The story follows a similar theme to the rest of the books with Amaranthe spotting something out of the ordinary and wanting to investigate to hopefully g ...more
Lovey Dovey Books
Jan 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The Assassin's Curse is a satisfying novella to read while waiting for the release of the fourth Emperor's Edge novel. The third novel, Deadly Games, ratcheted up my excitement over the characters and their changing relationships.

This isn't YA fiction, and I recently stumbled upon Lindsay Buroker and fell in love with The Emperor's Edge. So far there are three novels and a couple of short stories that focus on specific characters. The Assassin's Curse focuses on Amaranthe, the leader of the Empe
Farhin
Feb 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Book 2.5 which takes place after Dark Currents and just before Deadly Games involving OTP-my true love, my one and only favourite couple Sicaranthe!!! (or Amarius- whichever you prefer)

*Cough*: Sicarius and Amaranthe. Whilst training, the two spot a pair of Nurian thieves making a getaway with some Turgonian Army technology. Naturally, Amaranthe finds an opportunity for exoneration and seeks to thwart their plans (and get out of training). So Sicarius and Amaranthe make their way onto a supp
Patricia Eddy
Jul 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If you wanted more Amaranthe and Sicarius but didn't want to invest yourself in a full length novel, this is for you. There's no information about whether this short story takes place before or after Emperor's Edge #3, but I'm assuming after, given the state of the dialog between the two main characters. Amaranthe, as always, manages to get herself into some trouble, but also manages to get herself out of trouble. This is why I love the character so much. She doesn't always make the best decisio ...more
James
Aug 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Another great short story from Buroker featuring Amaranthe and Sicarius the assassin. I liked Ice Cracker II a lot more than this one, but it's still a good tale. I would like to have seen more focus on Sicarius, as he seems to have a lot at stake in this story but the narration mostly follows Amaranthe--but I think this choice is completely intentional and designed to make the assassin more mysterious, which is why he's such a great character anyway.
The story definitely left me wanting to know
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Now this was an excellent short story! I’ve never enjoyed short stories much but here the plot was well developed and so where the characters (which have always been Buroker’s strongest point). I think this is more a novella than a short story, which might explain why it is so well crafted.

The story features Amaranthe & Sicarius getting into trouble yet again to prevent wrongdoing against the Empire. Action, Investigation, cursed island, humour: this story has it all. A very satisfying read,
Martha
Apr 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
A short story in the Emperor's Edge world, with only Sicarius and Amaranthe as characters. Their interaction and emotional connection is deepening, and Amaranthe's ability to empathize with the enemies she encounters reminds me of Lois McMaster Bujold's book *Ethan of Athos*. Ethan, like Amaranthe, can make the imaginative leap to understand the point of view of someone from truly different backgrounds, to understand their motivations and work with them to achieve his goals. I'm looking forward ...more
Linda Stevens
i have loved all the books Lindsay has read and intend to read whatever she publishes.
Besides Jules Vern's classics, She is the first Steam Punk genre I have read.
Keep on writing Lindsay, and I will keep on reading.

I am always amazed at how good authors can bring characters alive and make them feel as though you personally know them. I know she is a good author when I get to the end of the series and am sad there are no more books to read. I ended the the Emperor's series and now am reading t
Eatworm
Jan 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Despite loving the EE series the short stories don't have the same flow or structure as the main books. Although this is listed as 2.5 I think that is really the reading order rather than to imply it is one of the main books. There are references to this book in books 6/7, so read it before you get to the end of the EE series, but it really is just a short story. Still fun, still lovable, but wished it could have been more fleshed out - maybe I'm just greedy!
Cheri
Mar 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
Love the Emperor's Edge series, and I'm currently devouring everything related to Lindsay Buroker, but this short story ended before it started. There was not enough plot to this story to make it worthwhile as a stand alone. I generously gave it two stars for some quality Amaranthe and Sicarius' interactions, such as the brick training. I'd skip this one unless you were a die hard fan, since it doesn't contribute the overall Emperor's Edge plot line.
Sylvia
May 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing

This was a great short story to help me endure the wait until the next full length novel. This has quickly become one of my favorite series. Although sometimes I think Amaranthe is a bit too patient waiting for Sicarius to make his move. He's a strange character, morally ambiguous and guilty of many past crimes and yet you can't help but understand why Amaranthe falls for him. Can't wait for more!
Karen
Jan 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
A short story (technically a novella based on word count) set in the Emperor's Edge universe with two of the main characters Amaranthe and Sicarius from those stories. Its enjoyable as a stand alone but is greatly enhanced if you know something about the setting and the characters from the other books. It provides little more history of the empire as well as interesting tidbits how magic (excuse me "mental sciences")can be applied with long lasting results.
A
Mar 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
I'm really not a fan of short stories; they rarely satisfy me. This particular story was OK because I knew the characters and the universe already and I'm jonesing for more. If you're in the same situation as me, then I can recommend it. It's just like a little episode, a side-adventure with just Sicarius and Amaranthe, from one of the larger books. Given the short length, I think the sense of peril was built quite well.
Robb
Apr 18, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice little side adventure for Amaranthe and Sicarius. Foreigners steal some of the Empire's prototype weapons and try to flee to a haunted island. Unfortunately for the would be thieves Amaranthe and Sicarius are near by and set off to foil the duo from escaping with the stolen cache. Hoping to increase their chances at a pardon A&S try capture the robbers. But alas no pardon ever seems to come to our outlaws.....If you've read the previous books you know this by now ;)
  • Her Own Devices (Magnificent Devices, #2)
  • The Kraken King and the Inevitable Abduction (Iron Seas, #4.4; Kraken King, #4)
  • My Lord Mayhem (Disenchanted & Co., #0.5)
  • The Luthier of Keman (The Children of Man 0.5)
  • The Encounter (Boreal and John Grey, #1)
  • All the Paths of Shadow (Paths of Shadow, #1)
  • Kilts & Kraken (Gaslight Chronicles, #3)
  • The Perilous Life of Jade Yeo
  • Red Rope of Fate (The Elves of Lessa, #1)
  • Revenge of the Mad Scientist (Airship Adventure Chronicles #1)
  • Remalna's Children
  • Timepiece (Keeping Time Trilogy #1)
I'm a professional blogger by day and an indie fantasy author by night. Evenings belong to the dogs, tennis, and books.
More about Lindsay Buroker

The Emperor's Edge (9 books)
  • The Emperor's Edge (The Emperor's Edge, #1)
  • Dark Currents (The Emperor's Edge, #2)
  • Deadly Games (The Emperor's Edge, #3)
  • Conspiracy (The Emperor's Edge, #4)
  • Blood and Betrayal (The Emperor's Edge, #5)
  • Forged in Blood I (The Emperor's Edge, #6)
  • Forged in Blood II (The Emperor's Edge, #7)
  • Republic (The Emperor's Edge, #8)
  • Diplomats and Fugitives (The Emperor's Edge, #9)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Fool's Assassin (The Fitz and The Fool Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Conjure (Hoodoo Apprentice)
    $5.99 $0.00
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Acacia: The War with the Mein (Acacia, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99