Start by marking “Dharma Café” as Want to Read:
Dharma Café

Dharma Café

(Dharma Café)

Welcome to the Dharma Café, a restaurant like no other. There is no menu. The waiter, Samura, uses mystical powers to read what each customer needs, and the cook, Agatha, prepares the food with ingredients like love, hope, and courage.

The café is a refuge for the new busboy, Charlie, who was kicked out of home on his eighteenth birthday. Irresistibly drawn to Samura, Charl
Published January 17th 2012 by Loose Id (first published January 16th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Dharma Café, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dharma Café

Lily
Mar 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
When I chose to read Dharma Cafe, I wanted to try something different from my usual 'flavours' in the M/M romance department. And it's so hard for me to resist a cover by P.L. Nunn... What can I say? I can be quite shallow sometimes, but in the end I did not regret this choice.

The book was engaging and enjoyable for several reasons. I found the world-building original and well drawn, detailed enough to be credible yet not overwhelming compared to the plot and character development. Food sorcery
Phaney
Apr 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, oh-yes
Wow. This author and I have a complicated relationship. Well, okay, I have the complicated relationship with her; she has no idea I exist, which is probably a good thing. XD

One of her series I enjoyed, although it went past my comfort zone – and made it work! Another series by her bored and disappointed me. This now? I love it. Every single word.

This is a genuine story. Where it wasn’t a foregone conclusion what would happen next. Funny, too! Made me laugh. (That bunny mug? Genius.) So unusual t
Manlove
Jan 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Yay! This satisfied a craving I've been having for quite some time.

Start with a unique premise, add interesting characters, mix with just enough plot, and season with a little humor and heat. Viola! A delightful read.
Cole Riann
This was really cute, and quite original. I love reading books about food and this was food magic! Well, sorcery... still, original and cute and funny and sweet.
Ryan
Jan 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was a quirky and interesting read. I liked the heros and the unique flavor I thought it had.
Pixie Mmgoodbookreviews
Oct 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
4 1/2 Hearts

First published at MM Good Book Reviews

Samura was taken in by Chef Agatha when he was eight, after he ran away from his father Akio. Now he is eighteen and although he tries his best, he can still feel the darkness inside sometimes. Charlie has been thrown out by his parents on his eighteenth birthday. He’s roaming the streets when he comes across a dumpster full of gorgeous food, he can’t resist and dives in head first.

This is a… I have to say
Danni
Jan 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
At first I wasnt sure about this book, because I couldnt really grasp the magic concept. It was very interesting though. I would have liked to know a little more about the magic and what role the sorcerers seemed to have in the world. It seemed like they were known to exist in the world, but at the same time people werent to aware of what they do. They were more like scary bed time stories to keep kids in line.
Anyway, the story is mainly about Samura, who is so afraid of becoming evil like his
Joanie Mills
Jan 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I know if you read the blurb your like WTF! But I can honestly say this was a great story if you take away the food part its about two young men one a sorcerer and a Charlie a throwaway who is scared of magic who finds a home and acceptance at the dharma cafe add the food and you have a new twist to a magical story of love and magic I think mrs freely did an amazing job of giving us a new and unique look into a fantasy that is unlike any you have read before
This is my personal opinion but I trul
J. Vaughn
Jun 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm-paranormal
What a lovely, lovely, lovely, awesome story. I just finished a reread and I might have enjoyed it even more the second time around. Well-written and fast-paced, this is also one of the most feel-good stories I've ever read. It's very unique and probably not for everyone, but if you don't mind a little magic and are willing to suspend your disbelief, then you'll likely love this story. It's a gem.
Meggie
Jan 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, magic, romance
This story was weird for my taste. The start was interesting, but somehow this romance between Charlie and Samura didn't speak to me. Maybe they bickered to much. I didn't feel the connection between them.
Chris
Mar 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Good paranormal m/m romance about sorcerers and demons and food magic and dreams that you should possibly not read if french fries are your favorite food. The writing was very simplistic, but I got sucked into the story anyway.
Helen Manning
Jun 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jessica knocks it out of the park here. Charlie is disowned by his family and ends up meeting Samura and Agatha, owners of the Dharma Cafe; a very special cafe where extras like love, hope, and kindness are cooked into the food. He is intrigued by and attracted to Samura whose austere appearance hides a terrible secret. All the characters are well rounded and the dialogue is wonderful. You will love Agatha because she is amazing. Samura's secret comes out and he and Charlie must work together to ...more
Jamie
Mar 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, own-kobo-yhoo

I read this for Pushing Boundaries and I'm glad I did. It's the first Yaoi I've read and it's quirky and interesting. I wasn't that into the actual story of Samura and Charlie but I liked reading something different. There is a lot in the undercurrents here, magic and emptiness and forgiveness, all wrapped up in a cutesy "cartoon" package. I appreciate the exposure to a different way of telling a story.
Ilona
Jan 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved it! The story was well written and had me so well hooked that I didn’t want to put it down (not even to eat!) . The world building was excellent and it didn’t take me long to understand the world Charlie and Samura lived in. Their interaction was well portrayed and was just the right mix of angst and determination of a typical teenager. Overall the whole book came alive for me and I was sorry that, when I finally reached the end, I didn’t have more to read.
J.B. Sanders
Feb 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
If you go into this book thinking of it as if it was your favorite anime romance, only with guys and sorcerery, you'll have a really good feeling for what this book is about. It may seem a little Young Adult, but it's all man. In the end, it felt like reading my favorite dessert: mint chocolate ice cream. Sweet, refreshing, satisfying and thoroughly enjoyable.
Lee Brazil
Oct 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, m-m
This was a great fairy tale story. The characters were fun, and even believable in their attitudes and behaviors. Charlie and Samura make great heroes, and the welfare of the world is safe in their capable hands. Love to see more adventures for these two...after all- finding HEA at 18 and 20? There's got to be more emotional trauma and evil food sorcery to battle!
Sherry
Oct 07, 2012 added it

I don't think I was in the right mood or frame of mind for this story. It's a unique paranormal story - which I did enjoy - but just didn't feel a connection to either of the MCs.

Rating may change upon a re-read; it's been known to happen.
Gwengwel
Jan 17, 2012 marked it as to-read
Hope that it's a parody with this resume. If not...
Andrea
Apr 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Enjoyable but definitely not her best work.
Susinok
Nov 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: glbt, fantasy, romance
A really fun and different fantasy m/m.
Idamus
Aug 11, 2013 rated it did not like it
This is just too ridiculous, and way too food fixated
Brenda Maldonado
Jan 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A perfect blend of goegeous imagery, fantastic adventure and tender romance with a Yaoi sensibility. LOVED it!
Bookbee
3.5 Stars

Love the cover! The story is an interesting read but fantasy is always a bit of a hit and miss with me. I liked it but it didn't bowl me over.
Kelsey
Jul 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m-romance
This is a very strange and quirky story but it was well written and kept my attention. I loved both main characters and the setting.
MsMiz (Tina)
Aug 15, 2013
Kiki
Jan 20, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Jessica Freely can't resist a wounded hero. As a reader and a writer, her favorite stories are of soul mates finding redemption in each other's arms. Married to the love of her life in a beautiful relationship based on mutual goofiness, Jessica also warps minds as an instructor in Seton Hill University's Writing Popular Fiction MFA program. Her dog, Ruthie, doesn't seem to care that Jessica's an a ...more