Start by marking “The Assassin and the Pirate Lord (Throne of Glass, #0.1)” as Want to Read:
The Assassin and the Pirate Lord (Throne of Glass, #0.1)

The Assassin and the Pirate Lord

(Throne of Glass 0.1)

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  26,567 Ratings  ·  1,571 Reviews
A Throne of Glass novella.

On a remote island in a tropical sea, Celaena Sardothien, feared assassin, has come for retribution. She’s been sent by the Assassin’s Guild to collect on a debt they are owed by the Lord of the Pirates. But when Celaena learns that the agreed payment is not in money, but in slaves, her mission suddenly changes—and she will risk everything to righ
Published January 13th 2012 by Bloomsbury Children’s

To ask other readers questions about The Assassin and the Pirate Lord, please sign up.
Lauren - SERIESous Books You don't have to, though it provides insight into Celaena's character. She's quite jaded in Throne of Glass and some people find that off putting…moreYou don't have to, though it provides insight into Celaena's character. She's quite jaded in Throne of Glass and some people find that off putting because they don't know her backstory. I found that reading the novellas first let me understand Celaena's outlook on life and her personality, allowing me to enjoy Throne of Glass a lot more since I wasn't becoming frustrated with her nonchalant attitude. (less)

Mikee Andrea (ReadWithMikee)
I didn't expect to like this novella because I was a little bored in the beginning but it improved significantly in the end.

After reading Heir of Fire and Queen of Shadows, it was refreshing to finally see THE Celaena Sardothian that I came to love from the very beginning. Not a huge Aelin fan, so it's great seeing Celaena again.

We also finally get to meet Sam Cortland, and my goodness I'm already in love with him. I already know what's coming by the end of The Assassin's Blade but I can't help
♥ℂℎristina
3 ★'s

“Come on, Sardothien,” he said, slinging an arm around her shoulders. “If you’re done liberating slaves and destroying pirate cities, then let’s go home.”

Well, this was a really really slow first novella... The beginning was pretty boring but the last couple of chapters when everything went down was really good. I did still enjoy it for the most part but at the same time, it fell a little short. It could have been so, so, much better! Anyway, I'm loving getting an inside look into Celaena
P
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult

The Assassin and the Pirate Lord features Celaena Sardothien and Sam the Notoriously Handsome. Can I call him that ? Haha.They're both assassins working for Arobynn Hamel. Frankly, the book bored me at first, then boom, the chemistry clicked and the pace was amazing I couldn't put it down for an hour.

The story happens before Throne of Glass, but I suggest you should read ToG first to fully enjoy the worldbuilding and some details that Maas didn't thoroughly explain in this novella, about slave t
Pearl Angeli
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reads
What an incredible start of The Assassin’s Blade!

This novella made me admire the notorious assassin Celaena Sardothien more. Her character here is far more well-developed compared to her character in Throne of Glass. In this novella, her bad-assery can easily be perceived. She’s braver, more dangerous, and a lot more ferocious than I’ve ever thought. Sarah J. Maas has really given us a firecracker of a female main character!

The Assassin and the Pirate Lord is the first novella of The Assassin’s
Ben Alderson
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm really glad I picked this up! I've been in the worst reading slump and this has yanked me back out of it!
Melanie
#1.) Throne of Glass ★★★
#2.) Crown of Midnight ★★★★
#3.) Heir of Fire ★★
#4.) Queen of Shadows ★★

This first novella had so much potential. I would have given the premise of this story a solid five stars. I mean, Sam and Celaena working with pirates to discover what happened to three of their fellow assass
Deborah Obida
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
I love it, i was a bit skeptical i might not like it as much as i do the Throne of Glass series cause i adore the series, but this is as good as the series.

I finally get to know more about the infamous Sam Cortland, all the more reason to hate Arobynn. The book is mainly about how she released the slaves that was talked about in Empire of Storms.

The writing style is the same that was used in the series, third person POV, can't wait to read the rest novellas.
Fables&Wren
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
WrensReads Review:

Finally I am getting around to reading the adventures of my dear Celaena Sardothien. LOWKEY, I kind of love the assassin more than the queen, but that doesn't mean that I don't love the queen.

I wanted to read it before I read Empire of Storms BUT I kind of got distracted with other books that were coming out around the same time. I am not a huge fan of novellas, but I do know that some of the characters introduced in the last book were first introduced in some of these novella
Nelou Keramati
Nov 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Actual rating: 3.5 :)

I have not read the Throne of Glass series, but I enjoyed Ms. Maas's 'A Court of Thorns and Roses' and wanted a quick read, so I picked up this novella.

I have tried not to mention any specific plot-points, but if you have not read this novella and would like to go into it completely blind, then there might be some spoilers ahead. So please read at your own discretion. :)

Characters:

I found it very difficult to appreciate the protagonist, Calaena. I tried very hard to understa
Sean
Feb 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5. This was a great novella to kick off the prequel bindup.
Isa Cantos (Crónicas de una Merodeadora)
"You might be the best, Sardothien, but there's always someone waiting for you to slip".

No sé ni cómo empezar a decir que adoro a Celaena. Me encanta cómo siempre se mueve por la delgada línea que divide la sangre fría y la justicia. Celaena es de esos personajes que tiene mil matices y muchos secretos y emociones escondidas.

En esta aventura, ella y Sam deben ir a recolectar el pago que el Lord Pirata les debe por, supuestamente, haber asesinado a dos miembros de la Assassin's Guild. Sin emba
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
3 stars

I admit that I did not enjoy this book as much as I wanted. I decided to try the first novella because of all the hype with the series so I expected much more than I got. I will continue the series at some point but I'm not in the mood for it right now.

My main issue was with the heroine. I found her way too arrogant, spoiled and self-righteous. How can a 16 year-old girl believe that she is so much better than other people with twice her age and training? Maybe my issue is that the book i
Sky
Sep 04, 2015 rated it liked it
For an assassin, Celeana sure didn't lose her morals. Killing is a fast end. Slavery is endless torture. She couldn't stand by and and watch her master destroy lives, so she had to interfere.

I loved the first scene where she did what no one could, and I kept thinking "SLAY SLAY SLAY". Celeana's character sure is refreshing, although I'd prefer a little less time people talking about her beauty and more time her kicking ass.

Although Sam annoyed me in the beginning with his whining he kinda grew
Jasmine
**Re-read on September 22nd-23rd, 2015:
Actual rating: 3.5/5 stars
I personally think the novella wasn't as good as the first three books from the series. Celaena Sardothien was 16 years old in this book and at that time, Sam Cortland was still alive, but I couldn't tolerate her gargantuan arrogance at all! Although I did better understand the story plot after reading the sequels first this time, her impossibly terrible attitude was the most dislike part for me.
“One day,” Rolfe said, too quietly
Grace (LovingDemBooks) Z.
Buy this book HERE on Amazon or buy this book HERE on BookDepository with FREE WORLDWIDE SHIIPPING

4 of 5 stars (Please read my rating system further below. LOVE, LOVE, LOVED THIS ONE! I WISH SAM WAS ACTUALLY IN THE SERIES NOW.

My rating system: (I do use half stars.)
5 - I do not use the 5 star. Not because a book might not be worthy, but because a book is never perfect.
4 - I loved it! There weren't too many flaws, and I had no trouble getting through it. (A 4 star rating is the highest rating
Brooklyn Tayla
Once again, all throughout this beautiful first installment of "The Assassin's Blade", my heart loved every moment! I will never tire of Celaena and Sam, and knowing what is to come still makes this tragically bittersweet but ach my heart! Their banter is perfection and Celaena showing Rolfe is always epic tbh.
Lina Lovegood
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tolle Kurzgeschichte um Celaena und Sam, hat mir wirklich sehr gut gefallen!
_racheljane_
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Assassin and the Pirate Lord wasn't my first glimpse into the world of Throne of Glass that author Sarah J. Maas has created. I fell in love with Celaena’s character immediately. I loved that she was this ruthless assassin who didn’t care what anyone thought. To be honest I wasn’t sure what I thought of Sam at first. It took me a little while to warm up to him.

I liked the setting of this novella a lot. I have always had a fascination with pirates. From Blackbeard to Jack Sparrow, I have alwa
destiny ♎ [howling libraries]
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fae
#0.1-#0.5 The Assassin’s Blade ★★★★★
#1 Throne of Glass ★★★★☆

Celaena thinks that she and her colleague Sam Cortland are being sent to meet the Pirate Lord to seek repayment for a slight he’s caused the King of the Assassins. Upon arrival, the teens learn that they’ve been tricked into an escort mission for a batch of slaves that Arobynn is hoping to sell. I thought this was an fantastic introduction to Celaena’s character, and it immediately made me fond of her as a protagonist. I loved that she
Erika
Apr 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers of YA genre and adventure books.
I had waited quite a long time to read a good story about an assassin heroine. Sarah J. Mass certainly didn't disappoint me.
“Why?” Sam stepped close enough that she needed to tilt her head back to see his face. “We’re assassins. We kill people. We destroy lives every day.”

“We have a choice,” she breathed.

The assassin is Celaena Sardothien, a sixteen years old teenage girl. Her age was the only thing that cute about her. Celaena is the best assassin that Assassin’s Guild have. She's beautiful
Kim
Feb 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
So I remember vaguely remember reading Queen of Glass (now Throne of Glass) on fictionpress years ago, like when I was in high school, and I remembered being extremely impressed with the idea of Cinderella as an assassin. I only read the first part of the story, so I can only give my opinion of the first part. The story and idea was wonderful and creative, but the writing definitely needed some improvement.

I was rather excited for this novella because I was interested in the story, but I also h
Chantal
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amo Sam anche se avendo già letto TOG so cosa accadrà T.T
Lisa
Jun 27, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
After hearing so many positive things (prior to publication) about Throne of Glass, I was expecting a lot from the first prequel, The Assassin and the Pirate Lord, and boy was I disappointed. I typically have little to say about short stories and novellas—just read my embarrassing attempts at writing a review for the various short-story collections I've read—but there is a lot to say about this one and none of it is positive.

This story was a miss in terms of writing and characterization. The no
Robin (Bridge Four)
Celaena was a little bit of a brat in the beginning. However her drive to protect her friends is still there and you can see that she really is a strong woman even from someone so young.

The cute interactions with Sam are fun. She almost flirts by threatening and it is so her. Even now she has such a strong sense of morality for an assassin and I find that refreshing.

This is a really good look into her beginnings and her relationship with the Assassin Lord.
Mel Anie
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Throne of Glass fans
Recommended to Mel by: Poll voters
I've read this novella as a part of 'Assassin's Blade' collection.

Review:
Rating: 5 stars ✨ 'coz it was pretty darn good!

I'm once again positively surprised with outcome. Throne of Glass turned out pretty good, but this one was even better. The Assassin and the Pirate Lord is a short story telling the history of Celaena before the actions taking place in Throne of Glass. Fast and entertaining read! Recommendable!
Anny
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Más bien un 3'75. Me ha gustado mucho y conocer a Caelena antes de los sucesos de Trono de cristal, ha estado genial.
F.J.
Apr 02, 2012 rated it did not like it
It has been two years since I first read The Assassin and the Pirate Lord and encountered Ardalan's greatest assassin Celaena Sardothien. In these two years I read Throne of Glass and Crown of Midnight - which turned my opinion about the author and the series around by 180.

If you'd like to take a look at my old review, click on the spoiler. (view spoiler)

Veronica Morfi
Apr 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is the first of a series of prequel novellas for the Throne of Glass. In this story we are intoduced to Celaena, a 16 year old assassin. She is the best and most feared assassin of her Guild after her master. In this novella she is send to a remote island to claim something for her master without realizing that what she is there to collect is slaves. With the help of the assassin she despises the most in her Guild, Celaena will try to find a way to free the slaves and get away with it too.

I
Alex
Sep 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So I'm restarting my adventure with Celaena Sardothien, this time with 'The Assassin and the Pirate lord'. Fot the first time I've decidet to read ToG first, but this time I'd like to go through the whole story in chronological order.
So at the very beginning we meet Celaena as the best assassin of the world, or at least Adarlan. She is violent and unpredictable. Celaena and other assassin Sam are sent to Skuls Bay to make a demand or rather deal with Capitan Rolfe, which turns out to be not wha
Natalia
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was way better than I expected. It's been almost a year since I read something by Sarah J Maas and this didn't disappoint at all. Also I really like Celaena, I like her in the later books, but here she was lots of fun. I like her relationship with Sam. In the beginning they really hate each other, but I like how in the end of this short story they change their opinions a bit. I loved that I was able to see a bit of her history as an assassins
Queen Maas' Assas...: Sam Cortland ~ Character Discussion 105 1196 Oct 30, 2017 11:03AM
Queen Maas' Assas...: TOG Novellas ~ The Assassin and the Pirate Lord 4 83 Oct 02, 2014 09:03PM
  • The Shadow Cats (Fire and Thorns, #0.5)
  • The Witch's Betrayal (The Assassin's Curse #0.5)
  • Among the Nameless Stars (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #0.5)
  • The Audition (Seraphina, #0.5)
  • The Ash-Born Boy (The Near Witch, #0.5)
  • A Dawn Most Wicked (Something Strange and Deadly, #1.5)
  • Bridge of Snow (The Winner's Trilogy, #0.5)
  • The Witch of Duva (Grisha Verse, #0.5)
  • The First Kiss (The Iron Fey, #1.25)
  • The Spring Before I Met You (The Lynburn Legacy, #0.25)
  • Thistle & Thorne
  • Elemental (Elemental, #0.5)
  • Origins: The Fire (MILA 2.0, #0.5)
  • Volcrian's Hunt (The Cat's Eye Chronicles, #3)
  • Praying For Rain (The Lotus Wars, #0.5)
  • Unveiled (Fireblood, #1.5)
Sarah J. Maas is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of the Throne of Glass series (Queen of Shadows, Book 4, will be out in September 2015), as well as the A Court of Thorns and Roses series (out 5/5/15).

Sarah lives in Bucks County, PA, and over the years, she has developed an unhealthy appreciation for Disney movies and bad pop music. She adores fairy tales and ballet, drinks too

Throne of Glass (7 books)
  • Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1)
  • Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2)
  • Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass, #3)
  • Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass, #4)
  • Empire of Storms (Throne of Glass, #5)
  • Tower of Dawn (Throne of Glass, #6)
  • Kingdom of Ash (Throne of Glass, #7)
“He couldn't be dead. Not from the dagger, or those dozen pirates, or from the catapult. No, Sam couldn't be so stupid that he'd get himself killed. She'd... she'd... Well she'd kill him if he was dead.” 89 likes
“Sam smiled, his brown eyes turning golden in the dawn. It was such a Sam look, the twinkle of mischief, the hint of exasperation, the kindness that would always, always make him a better person than she was.” 71 likes