Start by marking “The Assassin and the Pirate Lord (Throne of Glass, #0.1)” as Want to Read:
The Assassin and the Pirate Lord (Throne of Glass, #0.1)

The Assassin and the Pirate Lord

(Throne of Glass #0.1)

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  32,151 ratings  ·  1,796 reviews
A Throne of Glass novella.

On a remote island in a tropical sea, Celaena Sardothien, feared assassin, has come for retribution. She’s been sent by the Assassin’s Guild to collect on a debt they are owed by the Lord of the Pirates. But when Celaena learns that the agreed payment is not in money, but in slaves, her mission suddenly changes—and she will risk everything to righ
Published January 13th 2012 by Bloomsbury Children’s

To ask other readers questions about The Assassin and the Pirate Lord, please sign up.
Lauren - SERIESous Books You don't have to, though it provides insight into Celaena's character. She's quite jaded in Throne of Glass and some people find that off putting bec…moreYou don't have to, though it provides insight into Celaena's character. She's quite jaded in Throne of Glass and some people find that off putting because they don't know her backstory. I found that reading the novellas first let me understand Celaena's outlook on life and her personality, allowing me to enjoy Throne of Glass a lot more since I wasn't becoming frustrated with her nonchalant attitude. (less)

·  32,151 ratings  ·  1,796 reviews

Start your review of The Assassin and the Pirate Lord (Throne of Glass, #0.1)
~Poppy~
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
“Come on, Sardothien,” he said, slinging an arm around her shoulders. “If you’re done liberating slaves and destroying pirate cities, then let’s go home.”

Mikee (ReadWithMikee)
I didn't expect to like this novella because I was a little bored in the beginning but it improved significantly in the end.

After reading Heir of Fire and Queen of Shadows, it was refreshing to finally see THE Celaena Sardothian that I came to love from the very beginning. Not a huge Aelin fan, so it's great seeing Celaena again.

We also finally get to meet Sam Cortland, and my goodness I'm already in love with him. I already know what's coming by the end of The Assassin's Blade but I can't help
♥ℂĦℝΪՖƬΪℕÅ
3 STAR'S

Well, this was a really really slow first novella... The beginning was pretty boring but the last couple of chapters when everything went down was really good. I did still enjoy it for the most part but at the same time, it fell a little short. It could have been so, so, much better! Anyway, I'm loving getting an inside look into Celae
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
Q:
Quiet as mice, quiet as the wind, quiet as the grave. (c)

Title: The Assassin and the Pirate Lord
We meet Celaena (what a ridiculous name!).
And 'Arobynn Hamel, King of the Assassins'. The guy is most definitely of good opinion of himself!
And 'the Pirate Lord of Erilea.'

How the mighty may fall by stumbling on an event fuelled by mercy.

C. likes to look good. And she does.

Q:
Thankfully, her sleepwear was as exquisite as her daytime wardrobe—and cost nearly as much. (c)
Q:
Her beauty was a weapon—one s
Nenia ⚔️ Queen of Villainy ⚔️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

The other day, I got a comment on one of my reviews for the Throne of Glass series. A stan had decided to tell me that the only reason I didn't like the books was because I hadn't read the prequels yet. My reaction was, "Are you kidding me? I've read books 1-7, and yet I still need to read more books in this series after clocking in around three thousand pages to give this series a fair shot?" I said as much. The stan did not respond.

I'v
P
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult

The Assassin and the Pirate Lord features Celaena Sardothien and Sam the Notoriously Handsome. Can I call him that ? Haha.They're both assassins working for Arobynn Hamel. Frankly, the book bored me at first, then boom, the chemistry clicked and the pace was amazing I couldn't put it down for an hour.

The story happens before Throne of Glass, but I suggest you should read ToG first to fully enjoy the worldbuilding and some details that Maas didn't thoroughly explain in this novella, about slave t
Pearl Angeli
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reads
What an incredible start of The Assassin’s Blade!

This novella made me admire the notorious assassin Celaena Sardothien more. Her character here is far more well-developed compared to her character in Throne of Glass. In this novella, her bad-assery can easily be perceived. She’s braver, more dangerous, and a lot more ferocious than I’ve ever thought. Sarah J. Maas has really given us a firecracker of a female main character!

The Assassin and the Pirate Lord is the first novella of The Assassin’s
Ben Alderson
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm really glad I picked this up! I've been in the worst reading slump and this has yanked me back out of it!
Melanie
#1.) Throne of Glass ★★★
#2.) Crown of Midnight ★★★★
#3.) Heir of Fire ★★
#4.) Queen of Shadows ★★

This first novella had so much potential. I would have given the premise of this story a solid five stars. I mean, Sam and Celaena working with pirates to discover what happened to three of their fellow assass
Deborah Obida
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
I love it, i was a bit skeptical i might not like it as much as i do the Throne of Glass series cause i adore the series, but this is as good as the series.

I finally get to know more about the infamous Sam Cortland, all the more reason to hate Arobynn. The book is mainly about how she released the slaves that was talked about in Empire of Storms.

The writing style is the same that was used in the series, third person POV, can't wait to read the rest novellas.
Wren (fablesandwren)
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
WrensReads Review:

Finally I am getting around to reading the adventures of my dear Celaena Sardothien. LOWKEY, I kind of love the assassin more than the queen, but that doesn't mean that I don't love the queen.

I wanted to read it before I read Empire of Storms BUT I kind of got distracted with other books that were coming out around the same time. I am not a huge fan of novellas, but I do know that some of the characters introduced in the last book were first introduced in some of these novella
Nelou Keramati
Nov 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Actual rating: 3.5 :)

I have not read the Throne of Glass series, but I enjoyed Ms. Maas's 'A Court of Thorns and Roses' and wanted a quick read, so I picked up this novella.

I have tried not to mention any specific plot-points, but if you have not read this novella and would like to go into it completely blind, then there might be some spoilers ahead. So please read at your own discretion. :)

Characters:

I found it very difficult to appreciate the protagonist, Calaena. I tried very hard to understa
Se
Feb 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5. This was a great novella to kick off the prequel bindup.
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
3 stars

I admit that I did not enjoy this book as much as I wanted. I decided to try the first novella because of all the hype with the series so I expected much more than I got. I will continue the series at some point but I'm not in the mood for it right now.

My main issue was with the heroine. I found her way too arrogant, spoiled and self-righteous. How can a 16 year-old girl believe that she is so much better than other people with twice her age and training? Maybe my issue is that the book i
Sky
Sep 04, 2015 rated it liked it
For an assassin, Celeana sure didn't lose her morals. Killing is a fast end. Slavery is endless torture. She couldn't stand by and and watch her master destroy lives, so she had to interfere.

I loved the first scene where she did what no one could, and I kept thinking "SLAY SLAY SLAY". Celeana's character sure is refreshing, although I'd prefer a little less time people talking about her beauty and more time her kicking ass.

Although Sam annoyed me in the beginning with his whining he kinda grew
Beenish
4.5★★★★.
Oh yes! This Novella deserves it!!

𝙒𝙝𝙖𝙩 𝙨𝙤𝙧𝙩 𝙤𝙛 '𝙦𝙪𝙚𝙨𝙩𝙞𝙤𝙣𝙨' 𝙙𝙞𝙙 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙖𝙨𝙠 𝙝𝙞𝙢?
𝙋𝙤𝙡𝙞𝙩𝙚 𝙤𝙣𝙚𝙨.

All I'd say is Celaena and Sam are assassins and you'll see how they work together even being at each other's throats most of the time.

𝙎𝙝𝙚 𝙬𝙖𝙨 𝘼𝙙𝙖𝙧𝙡𝙖𝙣’𝙨 𝘼𝙨𝙨𝙖𝙨𝙨𝙞𝙣, 𝘼𝙧𝙤𝙗𝙮𝙣𝙣 𝙃𝙖𝙢𝙚𝙡’𝙨 𝙥𝙧𝙤𝙩é𝙜é𝙚 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙝𝙚𝙞𝙧 — 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙨𝙝𝙚 𝙬𝙤𝙪𝙡𝙙 𝙖𝙡𝙬𝙖𝙮𝙨 𝙗𝙚.

Very well written indeed!
Jasmine
**Re-read on September 22nd-23rd, 2015:
Actual rating: 3.5/5 stars
I personally think the novella wasn't as good as the first three books from the series. Celaena Sardothien was 16 years old in this book and at that time, Sam Cortland was still alive, but I couldn't tolerate her gargantuan arrogance at all! Although I did better understand the story plot after reading the sequels first this time, her impossibly terrible attitude was the most dislike part for me.
“One day,” Rolfe said, too quiet
Grace (LovingDemBooks) Z.
Buy this book HERE on Amazon or buy this book HERE on BookDepository with FREE WORLDWIDE SHIIPPING

4 of 5 stars (Please read my rating system further below. LOVE, LOVE, LOVED THIS ONE! I WISH SAM WAS ACTUALLY IN THE SERIES NOW.

My rating system: (I do use half stars.)
5 - I do not use the 5 star. Not because a book might not be worthy, but because a book is never perfect.
4 - I loved it! There weren't too many flaws, and I had no trouble getting through it. (A 4 star rating is the highest ra
Duchess Nicole
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
I wish I had read these short snippets before tackling book four and especially book five of the series. There seems to be a lot of tidbits that are needed to really understand all of the characters that show up in the latter half of the series.
Brooklyn Tayla
Once again, all throughout this beautiful first installment of "The Assassin's Blade", my heart loved every moment! I will never tire of Celaena and Sam, and knowing what is to come still makes this tragically bittersweet but ach my heart! Their banter is perfection and Celaena showing Rolfe is always epic tbh.
Lisa
Jun 27, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
After hearing so many positive things (prior to publication) about Throne of Glass, I was expecting a lot from the first prequel, The Assassin and the Pirate Lord, and boy was I disappointed. I typically have little to say about short stories and novellas—just read my embarrassing attempts at writing a review for the various short-story collections I've read—but there is a lot to say about this one and none of it is positive.

This story was a miss in terms of writing and characterization. The no
_racheljane_
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Assassin and the Pirate Lord wasn't my first glimpse into the world of Throne of Glass that author Sarah J. Maas has created. I fell in love with Celaena’s character immediately. I loved that she was this ruthless assassin who didn’t care what anyone thought. To be honest I wasn’t sure what I thought of Sam at first. It took me a little while to warm up to him.

I liked the setting of this novella a lot. I have always had a fascination with pirates. From Blackbeard to Jack Sparrow, I have alwa
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fae
#0.1-#0.5 The Assassin’s Blade ★★★★★
#1 Throne of Glass ★★★★☆

Celaena thinks that she and her colleague Sam Cortland are being sent to meet the Pirate Lord to seek repayment for a slight he’s caused the King of the Assassins. Upon arrival, the teens learn that they’ve been tricked into an escort mission for a batch of slaves that Arobynn is hoping to sell. I thought this was an fantastic introduction to Celaena’s character, and it immediately made me fond of her as a protagonist. I loved that she
Erika
Apr 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers of YA genre and adventure books.
I had waited quite a long time to read a good story about an assassin heroine. Sarah J. Mass certainly didn't disappoint me.
“Why?” Sam stepped close enough that she needed to tilt her head back to see his face. “We’re assassins. We kill people. We destroy lives every day.”

“We have a choice,” she breathed.

The assassin is Celaena Sardothien, a sixteen years old teenage girl. Her age was the only thing that cute about her. Celaena is the best assassin that Assassin’s Guild have. She's beautifu
Kim
Feb 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
So I remember vaguely remember reading Queen of Glass (now Throne of Glass) on fictionpress years ago, like when I was in high school, and I remembered being extremely impressed with the idea of Cinderella as an assassin. I only read the first part of the story, so I can only give my opinion of the first part. The story and idea was wonderful and creative, but the writing definitely needed some improvement.

I was rather excited for this novella because I was interested in the story, but I also h
Hayley
Feb 03, 2019 added it
I’m home.

It’s crazy how much time has passed since I interacted with these characters and yet I’m still swept off my feet when I finally returned back to this series.

Sam Cortland. *inhales deeply* you have enchanted me once again.

I already have the feels and knowing what is to come is going to rebreak my heart, mind and soul again and again and again.
Robin (Bridge Four)
Celaena was a little bit of a brat in the beginning. However her drive to protect her friends is still there and you can see that she really is a strong woman even from someone so young.

The cute interactions with Sam are fun. She almost flirts by threatening and it is so her. Even now she has such a strong sense of morality for an assassin and I find that refreshing.

This is a really good look into her beginnings and her relationship with the Assassin Lord.
Sabrina
Nov 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Get it here:
Amazon US * Amazon UK

I really enjoyed the ACOTAR books from this author so I'm finally going to give this series a try. So far it's off to a good start! I'm curious to see more about Celaena since right now she just comes off as a bit conceited.
Cintia
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
One great novella. It shows how Sam and Celaena started working together, and remained true to themselves in despite of everything.

I reviewed it as a part of the bindup The Assassin's Blade, you can read it here: http://abookandateacup.blogspot.com/2...
May
Jul 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a great novella! And based on this short story, Sam appears to be an awesome character!
Queen Maas' Assas...: Sam Cortland ~ Character Discussion 109 1385 Jul 06, 2020 11:18AM
Queen Maas' Assas...: TOG Novellas ~ The Assassin and the Pirate Lord 4 88 Oct 02, 2014 09:03PM

• The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2)
  • The Lost Sisters (The Folk of the Air, #1.5)
  • The Tailor (Grishaverse, #1.5)
  • La fragilidad de un corazón bajo la lluvia
  • The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air, #1)
  • The Demon in the Wood (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #0.5)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Shadow and Bone (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #1)
  • Little Knife (Grishaverse, #2.6)
  • Glitches (The Lunar Chronicles, #0.5)
  • Siege and Storm (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #2)
  • Ruin and Rising (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #3)
  • The Too-Clever Fox (Grishaverse, #2.5)
  • The Witch of Duva (Grishaverse, #0.5)
  • Destroy Me (Shatter Me, #1.5)
  • Pale Kings and Princes (Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy, #6)
  • What Really Happened in Peru (The Bane Chronicles, #1)
Sarah J. Maas is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of the Throne of Glass series (Queen of Shadows, Book 4, will be out in September 2015), as well as the A Court of Thorns and Roses series (out 5/5/15).

Sarah lives in Bucks County, PA, and over the years, she has developed an unhealthy appreciation for Disney movies and bad pop music. She adores fairy tales and ballet, drinks too

Throne of Glass (7 books)
  • Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1)
  • Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2)
  • Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass, #3)
  • Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass, #4)
  • Empire of Storms (Throne of Glass, #5)
  • Tower of Dawn (Throne of Glass, #6)
  • Kingdom of Ash (Throne of Glass, #7)