Start by marking “The Sea-Wreck Stranger” as Want to Read:
The Sea-Wreck Stranger

The Sea-Wreck Stranger (Sea-wreck stranger #1)

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  82 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Ness, Ty and their cousin Sophie live on a small island in a community dominated by superstition, fear and loss. The people of Dunnett have turned their back on the sea that once sustained them, and on their past. They eke out a subsistance living, shunning modern ways and technology.

When a stranger is washed up on the beach—unconscious, all but dead - Ness, Ty and Sophie
Published 2009 by Textbook Publishing Australia (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Sea-Wreck Stranger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sea-Wreck Stranger

Bree T
Our protagonist is Ness, a teenage girl who having lost her parents, was taken in along with her brother Ty by her mother’s brother. Ness and Ty live on a farm with him, his daughter their cousin Sophie from his first marriage, and his disagreeable and strict second wife. Ness and Ty are little more than free labour to their aunt and she always makes sure they have plenty to do and they’re beaten and punished for any disobedience, real or imagined.

The farm is on a small island, in a dysoptian-li
Clara van Wel
Oct 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
‘Our sea-wreck stranger doesn’t stand much of a chance, not on Dunnett Island…’
NESS, Ty and their cousin Sophie live in a small island community: a community that has turned its back on the sea, and on its own past.
When the arrival of a stranger forces all three to question the world they know — a world dominated by superstition, fear and loss — they each have a choice to make. Rebelling against the harsh austerity of her life, Ness chooses to follow the sea currents running in her blood. It pro
Ellen Curnow
Feb 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this book. It is set on a small farming island after a catastrophic change to the world. The people of the island have cast aside all forms of modern technology because they believe that the greedy and materialistic ways of our society led to the catastrophe. The story is told in first person by Ness, a teenaged orphan who finds the rules and restrictions of the island stifling. Even books are forbidden luxuries and are burned in the "cleansing day fires."

One idea which
Linley
Oct 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first story in the series. The sequel 'Ebony Hill' has as many rave reviews as this story.

If you enjoy post-apocalyptic writing, with a strong heroine and a convincing story-line then consider this for your next read. It will appeal to readers who have enjoyed Juno of Taris. It isn't a super-Divergent-ability, nasty-them-against-us-Hunger-Games story, and I enjoyed it the more. It reminded me of a programme I saw when I was young (was TV invented then?) where technology was outlawed
Mackenzie
May 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sea-wreck stranger is a very enjoyable book about a girl called Ness, a boy called Ty and their cousin Sophie and the troubled they face trying to help a "sea-wreck stranger" I don't want to give anything away for the ending but I really strongly recommend it.
Lyn
May 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: teen-books
An absorbing read set in a post-apocalyptic future. Enjoyable.
Olivia
May 20, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
blah
New Zealand author, what more can I say?
Tiana
Jun 06, 2015
Kate Gordon
Feb 01, 2010
« previous 1 3 next »
Anna Mackenzie wrote her first book aged 6, but spent a while roaming through other jobs before returning to writing fiction. Now that she has, she can't imagine doing anything else!
Her nine titles have won her seven CLF Notable Book Awards, an NZ Post Honour Award, Sir Julius Vogel Award, White Raven, and more. Her latest title, Evie's War, tells the story of a young New Zealander who works in th
More about Anna Mackenzie...

Sea-wreck stranger (3 books)
  • Ebony Hill