Start by marking “A Thunderous Whisper” as Want to Read:
A Thunderous Whisper

A Thunderous Whisper

Ani believes she is just an insignificant whisper of a 12-year-old girl in a loud world. This is what her mother tells her anyway. Her father made her feel important, but he's been off fighting in Spain's Civil War, and his voice in her head is fading. Then she meets Mathias. His family has just moved to Guernica and he's as far from a whisper as a 14-year-old boy can be. ...more
Published October 9th 2012 by Knopf (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Thunderous Whisper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Thunderous Whisper

jesse
Jul 31, 2012 marked it as dropped
look at that. isn't that ..?

yes, it is:

it's pan's labyrinth's ofelia played by ivana baquero with a nose job on the book cover!
Fernanda Escobar
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It was amazing. How a friendship that strong survived. I hope Ani and Mathias see each other again. And I only read the book in a day
Kody
Nov 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Personal response: This book from the start intrigued me. It kept a firm hold on that throughout the entirety of the book. The relationship between Ani and Mathias captured my interest right from the beginning as it seemed as if there was more to it than just friends at the start. Ani’s school mates attitude towards her surprised me as the only things they ever said to her were teasing or otherwise hurtful. I wasn’t surprised that when Mathias invited Ani to watch a movie that he had an ulterior
Kathy
Apr 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Reviewed on blog - 10/22/12
Gonzalez does a great job of describing her setting. Guernica comes to life, especially the area around Ani's favorite tree, the schoolyard, and the beautiful old theater. Ani's character is also carefully written. She slowly comes out of her shell as she learns about herself. She is not suddenly brave and different but events reveal her inner self and we are taken along with her. Mathias, on the other hand, is more of a sketch of a boy with everything spelled out. We
Susan  Dunn
Jan 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: committee, j-fiction
Historical fiction during a unique time period and setting: Spain during their civil war in the 1930s. A Basque girl and a half Basque/half German boy meet and become friends. Then their small town of Guernica is bombed and both suffer terrible losses. Can they help each other to survive and move on? Based on experiences of the author's relatives. This is one that could easily inspire additional research. It starts off a bit slow, but keep going!
Kalindee
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
A very powerful and interesting book, I found myself clinging to every word until the very end!

Also, the end left me a bit unsatisfied, but I can't help but feel that's the way it's supposed to be...? Mixed feelings??
Keegan C
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Thunderous Whisper is about a girl named Ani who meets a boy named Mathias. They become best friends, but then their town, Guernica, gets bombed by Nazis and they must deal with the destruction left behind.
One like that I have about the book is the multiple different relationships throughout the book that keep you interested without having too little or too many. The other like that I have is the use of nicknames to show Ani's personal growth throughout the story.
The only dislike that I have o
Rose
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The book that I just finished reading was called A Thunderous Whisper. The book is 309 pages long, nonfiction, and its wrote by Christina Diaz Gonzalez. This book is about a girl named Ani and her friends Mathias. Ani has lived in Guernica her whole life, but Mathias just moved there. Ani and her mother are the Sardinia's of town, and that is what Ani is known for. It's just Ani and her mother at home because her father is working in the kitchen at the war. Mathias's parents own the town's movi ...more
Rahmah Pervez
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
It was a good book, but one thing I didn't understand was that the author in the summary of the book, says that Mathias and Ani plan to fight back in their own unique ways but WHAT UNIQUE WAYS! But it was a good book. It was just the ending that didn't make sense.
Evan Pelerine
Apr 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
a bbook about a gril during the holicast this book dos a nice job shoing teh other side of ww2 my farvet part of the book was wen ani the gril in the book bmets he soon to be best frend maithis.
Molly Steadman
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a good example of historical fiction, with the blending of strong dynamic fictional characters into the infamous destruction of Guernica. Although I was personally a little unsatisfied with the ending, but I do not consider this a fault as Ani's character was immensely altered by the end. I would have just loved to see how she embraced her newfound confidence in herself. I was unhappy with this because of the emotional connection, a strength in this book, that I felt with Ani throug ...more
Tyler Belcher
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
A Thunderous Whisper had me on the edge of my seat for just about the entire read. Despite this being a young children's novel, it is packed with language and themes that a person of any age can relate to and enjoy. What I enjoyed the most about this book was the historical accuracy and detail it presented. From the bombing of Guernica, to boarding the ships to England, I loved the imagery and detail of this book. One thing I would say I disliked about the book was the ending. Yes, many books en ...more
Pedro Gray
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Thunderous Whisper, by Christina Diaz Gonzalez, is a simple but very interesting book. Gonzalez usually writes for a younger audience, which makes it a very easy and quick read. She describes the setting with detail, as well as creates the characters in a way that makes them very easy for readers to follow.

The story takes place in the Spanish town of Guernica during the Spanish Civil War in the late 1930s. The main character is Ani, a 12-year-old girl that struggles to make friends and find he
Risma
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finished. The first book of this year that got my interest to read it as soon as I can since I saw it. First of all, I like the cover. It shows an innocent and fragile girl from her appearance, yet if you look at her whole body standing there, she also looks strong. The image of a small town with its narrow street and in black-orange potray the situation that I would see. After I searched for other versions, I know that I run into the best cover version and I totally like it. Second, meeting mys ...more
Linda Amos
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was classed as a YA book but I think it would also be suitable for a younger reader. We follow the Sardine Girl, a nickname given to Ani at school because she smells of the sardines her mother sells. She makes friends with Mathias who uses a walking stick.
The story is about Guernica, a terrible episode in Spain's history. I knew very little about it and it made me want to learn more. The last few pages of the book, after the story ends, is a little bio of the author and her connection to G
Ayesha Iqbal
Nov 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult-read
I never understood anything about the Spanish Civil War, only to hear about it through Picasso's painting of 'Guernica'. And to find out that Guernica was destroyed by outside forces, Nazi Germany, just for practice. Helped me see the historical timeline clearer. I also learned about the Basque people who are indigenous to Europe. It seems all indigenous societies are engulfed inside outside cultures. I liked that Ani had growth and found her voice.
Kip
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's surprisingly difficult to find novels about the bombing of Guernica. The author does a great job bringing the setting to life and really makes us care about Ani and the friends she makes as the tension bubbles up, building to the terrible attack. Very immersive historical that will appeal to anyone wanting a glimpse into life during the Spanish Civil War.
Marc
This was a good story of a girl living in a time were war hit close to home. I found the story simple and straight to the point. i did wished for more exploration after the event but I understood this story wasn't that.

Overall 3 out of 5 acorns.
Medeia Sharif
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This historical novel will prove to be a treat for both young and older readers. Set during the Spanish Civil War, it follows two friends who make a difference during the toughest of times. This is a powerful and intriguing read.
Giovanna Kimberly
It’s a good story but somehow it ended when it was supposed to be interesting. I mean, I closed this book with a feeling of “What? That’s it?” because things were just starting to get interesting. Anyways, a good story but not a great one, that’s all
Jean Benedict
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a must read book. Ani was a lonely girl without any friends until she meets Mathias. there is a civil war in their country and they become involved as spies. This takes place in Spain as the Germans bomb their town.
David
May 09, 2017 rated it liked it
a fun war error tail
MayBelle Landon
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: class-read
it was very good cause i love history and this has a lot of it i also think it is sad
Tori
Aug 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-books
An interesting subject matter that I haven't read much about - the civil war in Spain. Unfortunately, the characters were all very flat and that made the little bit of plot uninteresting.
Melanie
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Engaging blend of interesting characters and thoughtful plot make this historical fiction a quick and engaging read. Going on my syllabus next semester!
G H A L Y A H
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I've ever read. So exciting and thrilling ❤ loved every part, sad or happy. It's a must read and I recommend it to everyone!
Landon
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting book! There were times when book had a happy, sad, and confusing peak. In the end, this book was very well written.
Travis
Sep 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely coming of age novel set in Guernica during the Spanish civil war. We meet a shy young girl who struggles to make an impact on her world...
Patricia
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Kid spies! This book was fascinating and made me want to learn more about the Spanish Civil War.
Heather Engqvist
Jan 27, 2019 rated it liked it
A little to young for my taste

• Breathing Room
  • The Wild Book
  • The Adventures of Beanboy (Beanboy #1)
  • Jump Into the Sky
  • Anybody Shining
  • Grounded
  • Crow
  • Dorko the Magnificent
  • Phoenix (Five Ancestors: Out of the Ashes, #1)
  • Child of the Mountains
  • True Colors
  • My Brother's Shadow
  • The Unfortunate Son
  • The Day of the Pelican
Christina grew up in a small Southern town in the Florida panhandle, but she's always been in touch with her Cuban heritage. She loves having breakfast with pan cubano and Southern style grits-- the best of both worlds!

She is the author of the award-winning novels, The Red Umbrella, A Thunderous Whisper, and the action-adventure duology, MOVING TARGET and RETURN FIRE (Scholastic).