Start by marking “The Secret of the Stone Frog” as Want to Read:
The Secret of the Stone Frog

The Secret of the Stone Frog

(Leah and Alan Adventures)

In a magical world unlike any you’ve seen before . . .

When Leah and Alan awaken in an enchanted forest, they have only each other and their wits to guide them. In a world of pet bees and giant rabbits, they befriend foppish lions and stone frogs, learning to confront danger as they find both their own independence and the way home. Newcomer David Nytra’s breathtaking pictu
Published September 11th 2012 by Toon Books

To ask other readers questions about The Secret of the Stone Frog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret of the Stone Frog

Betsy
Jul 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
It’s the old if-a-tree-falls-in-the-woods quandary reinvented for the comic book age: If a graphic novel for children references a century old comic predecessor, does it matter if no one gets the reference? This is where it’s hard to be an adult reviewing books for children. My frame of reference not only encompasses the books published during my own lifetime, but thanks to copious reading I’m familiar with historical works as well. A kid’s perspective is going to be completely different. They’v ...more
Becky
This is a longer length graphic novel (80 pages) published by TOON Books, which usually publishes graphic stories for the beginning reader. In this book the brother and sister wake up in the middle of a forest. A Stone Frog speaks to them, telling them to follow the path to get home. They are warned to stay on the path, but this advice is not followed, and "trouble" results. The meet a bee lady with word eating bees, dandy lions with an orchard of candied cherries, gigantic bunnies that take the ...more
Nancy Kotkin
Story: 4 stars
Art: 5 stars

This children's graphic novel is an Alice in Wonderland inspired fantasy adventure. Two siblings wake up in an enchanted forest and must negotiate a dialogue-stealing old woman with giant pet bees, a pride of talking lions, and a cunning pickpocket in order to find their way home. At least the stone frogs act as a GPS and the giant rabbits give them a ride.

The black-and-white art is truly spectacular. Detailed pen-and-ink drawings evoke an earlier time period with top h
Karissa
Jan 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was browsing through the graphic novels at my library and saw this little book. It was a very cute read. The story reminded me a bit of some children’s Japanese films I’ve seen (for example Spirited Away). I enjoyed the story and the illustration. It’s appropriate for all ages.

Leah and Alan wake up in an enchanted forest. They have no idea how to get home until a Stone Frog tells them that the path home is behind him. From there Leah and Alan go on a series of adventures on their way through s
Amy Jewell
Apr 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
1.) This graphic novel was my intermediate choice. It is all in black and white and there are anywhere from 1-6 panels per page. The pictures have a lot of detail, but at times all of the detail is overwhelming and in my opinion detracts from the telling of the story.

2.) Since this is my intermediate choice, it would best be used with 4th, 5th and 6th grades. I think it can best be described as a plot similar to Alice in Wonderland... It is about a brother and sister that wake up in an alternate
Peacegal
Oct 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I was absolutely blown away by the astonishing pen-and-ink illustrations in this magical graphic novel. Imagine the childlike surrealism of Little Nemo in Slumberland and Alice in Wonderland blended with Tony Millionaire's meticulously rendered Victorian neighborhoods, and you'll get Stone Frog. A delight!
Elizabeth☮
Aug 25, 2015 rated it liked it
This a book about two siblings growing up. The narration takes us through a fantastical land with talking stone frogs and bumblebees that are pretty angry.

The illustrations are intricate and have a vintage look. The plot felt thin to me. I enjoyed this book, but I felt it could have been a bit longer for depth.
Heather
Jan 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
Sweet and charming and very "down the rabbit hole" but kinda creepy at the same time...
Melissa
I enjoyed reading this young adult graphic novel. It was filled with beautiful illustrations and very imaginative dream-like sequences. The siblings found themselves moving through one strange encounter after the next on their quest to get home. Think Alice in Wonderland by Tim Burton and Studio Ghibli, and you might get something like the story of The Secret of the Stone Frog.
Scottalberts
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a pen and ink artist, I fell in love with this book. I can get lost in the details, the richness of the backgrounds in every corner of every frame. The simple, bold characters contrast with the lushly detailed surroundings, almost the opposite of a traditional approach to story illustration. Love it!

Can't wait to see the other book, "Windmill Dragons."
Kate Atherton
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
Clearly influenced by Little Nemo in Slumberland and Alice in wonderland this book is a fun, freshly drawn romp for kids but doesn’t leave me remembering many characters or wanting to be immersed in its dream world. I do love the fish people on the subway and large bees but why do the bees steal speech bubbles?
Shiloh Peacemaker
Mar 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-borrowed
This was an odd little story. It was funny and at the end it just got really weird. It is a cute little story about a brother and sister and their strange adventure to get back home before their parents wake up. The illustrations were excellent.
Diane
Jul 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Leah and Alan, dreaming, go down the path the Stone Frog told them to take, but they keep running into other peculiar creatures: the lady with the Bees, the guys with the giant rabbits & a train station for ocean animals.
The Brothers
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Asher (11yo) read.

Dexter (8yo) read.
Emilie
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chi-pict
Imaginative and beautiful illustrations! Not much in the way of story, but I know that as a kid I would have absolutely LOVED poring over these detailed fantasy illustrations for ages.
GooseberryCompote
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
More trippy than Alice in Wonderland, less so than that time I got lost in Amsterdam.
Short graphic novel that follows two siblings through a dreamland as they try to get home; very Alice in Wonderland-esque. Cute drawings and very simple story line.
Kelsey
May 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
The art in this was stunning, but there was practically no substance to the story.
R. G. Nairam
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Art was nice, but the story--such as it was--didn't do a whole lot for me.
Katherine Rue
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Art is fun and detailed and the story is cute. Might be a little scary for very young kids.
Melissa
May 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Extremely creative... put me in mind of Studio Ghibli type stories. Beautiful artwork left me wanting more.
Wren
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
It was a bore to read, and a waste of my time on earth.
Gayle
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: l
It was very, very funny. I really liked it. I hope we can get another copy of it (since the one I just read was a library book ). I don't know how else I can describe it.
Jackie Ostrowicki
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: eva-and-me
Great book.....wonderful, detailed illustrations. Reminded me of a graphic novel version of "Over the Garden Wall."
Andie Siegel
Title: The Secret of the Stone Frog
Author: David Nytra
Illustrator:
Genre: Graphic Novel
Theme(s): Siblings, Fantasy World, Imagination
Opening line/sentence: “Leah! Leah”
Brief Book Summary: Two siblings, Leah and Alan wake up to find themselves in a fantasy world in an enchanted forest. Everything is different here, including bunnies the size of horses and bees as pets. They must use their knowledge and their wits to figure out a way home, using each other as a guide.
Professional Recommendation/Re
Gene Kannenberg Jr
David Nytra (a cartoonist I'd not heard of before) has the honor of creating the first "graphic novel" to be published by TOON Books, those purveyors of fine, hardcover comics for kids, edited by Françoise Mouly. TOON has made a solid choice. The Secret of the Stone Frog is a beautiful, beautiful book, a fantasy adventure starring a sister and brother who find themselves lost in a confusing, magical world. Sound familiar? Of course; it's the stuff of so much great children's literature. And whil ...more
Charlotte
Sep 21, 2012 rated it liked it
The Secret of the Stone Frog, by David Nytra (Toon Books, September 11, 2012, 79 pages), is the first Toon graphic novel. The premise of Toon, for those who aren't familiar with this great line of easy readers, is to combine comic book/graphic novel style illustrations with easy to read stories. It's a wonderful idea, that resulted in some truly child-friendly books with appeal to reluctant readers and more confident ones alike.

With The Secret of the Stone Frog, Toon is moving up in age. This is
Stuart
Jun 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Leah and Alan are your typical brother and sister. One day, however, they awake in their beds to find that they have been transported to the middle of a forest. Not wanting to be lost in this unknown forest forever, they begin to look for a way home. That is when they encounter a stone frog (hence the title of the book The Secret of the Stone Frog) who sets them on a path home. In typical child fashion, they don't stay on the path for long, because Alan is hungry. The first place they stop is a ...more
Online Eccentric Librarian
Jun 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This is one of the hardest books I've tried to review - it seems to straddle both sides of any adjective I hope to apply to it.

On the one hand, the illustrations and exquisite - highly detailed, original, distinct, and add to the story. As well, the story is deceptively simple - a coming of age metaphor about the dangers but wonders one finds when one doesn't follow the directed path in life. But on the other hand, the dense and unusual illustrations make it hard to really follow/get into the st
Morgan Gerard
Graphic Novel: The Secret of the Stone Frog

I picked this book because it is quite a bit different from the rest of the books that I picked but I think this is a wonderful choice for readers that really enjoy adventure books or like reading comics because it definitely has a comic type of appeal to it. The pictures are a little more grown up looking because they are more detailed and they aren't as young looking with really bright colors and simple shapes. The story is about Leah and Alan who wak

• Benjamin Bear in Bright Ideas
  • Written and Drawn by Henrietta
  • A Trip to the Bottom of the World with Mouse: TOON Level 1
  • That One Spooky Night
  • How Mirka Met a Meteorite
  • The Captive Prince (Three Thieves, #3)
  • The Shark King
  • Hilda and the Bird Parade (Hilda, #3)
  • Cow Boy: A Boy and His Horse
  • Fangbone! Third-Grade Barbarian
  • The Unsinkable Walker Bean
  • Rust Vol. 1: Visitor in the Field
  • Maddy Kettle: The Adventure of the Thimblewitch
  • Into the Woods (BIGFOOT Boy #1)
  • Big Bad Ironclad! (Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales, #2)
  • Owly  Wormy, Friends All Aflutter!
  • Earthling!
  • Where's Halmoni?
David Nytra has been drawing since he was old enough to hold a pencil. An artist who works in many media, including clay, wood, and animation, he lives in the small town of 100 Mile House, in British Columbia, Canada. This is his first children’s book. Though his own dreams are often unexciting and he’s only a little bit allergic to bees, he loved books with many creatures in them as a child and h ...more

Leah and Alan Adventures (2 books)
  • Windmill Dragons: A Leah and Alan Adventure