Start by marking “Vietnamese Home Cooking” as Want to Read:
Vietnamese Home Cooking

Vietnamese Home Cooking

In his eagerly awaited first cookbook, award-winning chef Charles Phan from San Francisco's Slanted Door restaurant introduces traditional Vietnamese cooking to home cooks by focusing on fundamental techniques and ingredients.

When Charles Phan opened his now- legendary restaurant, The Slanted Door, in 1995, he introduced American diners to a new world of Vietnamese food: r
Published September 25th 2012 by Ten Speed Press (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Vietnamese Home Cooking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vietnamese Home Cooking

Start your review of Vietnamese Home Cooking
Carrisa
Jan 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook, non-fiction
Loved the ingredient glossary, it not only said a bit about the ingredient, but also had a picture of what it looked like! Very useful for cooks who don't use galangal or rau ram all that often (or not at all). Made the Pho Ga: Chicken Noodle Soup (pg 8). Delish~

James
Jun 17, 2015 rated it liked it
High end home cooking, seems far less fusion than his Slanted Door book. Subjects are sorted by cooking method and while there's some recommendations for sauces and spices, it needs a larger ingredients section. No nutritional data included, which may be an issue with people on low salt diets and the like. Also seems a bit meat heavy.
Shira
Mar 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People who love to eat and cook
Shelves: feast
Rare is the book that inspires your cooking, informs your restaurant etiquette, tickles your travel bone, and teaches you how to cook a cuisine. Enjoy, enjoy, and invite friends over for lunch!
Update! I'm still enjoying the heck out of this book...and the pages are getting more food stained each week. Bliss!!
Mari
Mar 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Numerous recipes in this book require a trip to the Asian or international grocery store. The local Giant Eagle or Kroger are just not going to carry tamarind pods, rice paper rolls, or jicama root. I looked forward to making the Imperial Rolls, the main reason I read the book, but it is three pages long. I immediately walked away from this recipe and others that require a significant time commitment and serious cooking savvy.
Ho Thi
Dec 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Charles Phan who runs the Slanted Door restaurant in San Francisco has this great book on Vietnamese home cooking. This book brings back fond memories of my childhood. I enjoyed it very much. I highly recommend it.
Gina
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was beautiful, and everything looked delicious, but if I'm being honest I am not at the point in my life where I have the time for most of these recipes. I will, however, try one or two on a day off.
Ash
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ingredient glossary was very helpful and I have a few new recipes to try.
Riegs
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Definitely for more experienced cooks and requires special ingredients, but well written with great descriptions of techniques.
Lareina Hui
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is by far my favorite cookbook to date (and I've read a LOT!) Being Chinese-Canadian, I've longed for the authentic flavors of real Asian cooking. Since moving to Los Angeles, I've found myself missing it even more than ever before. Most restaurants in the city are completely Americanized, so the best Viet and Chinese food I can find is always in my own kitchen. Phan is bang-on with this book - online recipes/other cookbooks have listed similar, if not same ingredients, but with very differ ...more
Eling
May 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013, cookbooks
I wish you could do 1/2 stars here, because I really want to give Vietnamese Home Cooking 4.5 stars.

First of all, the photography is stunning. Really, really beautiful photos of food (although not the ratio of one photo per recipe that is my ideal, it was pretty close), great ones of the ingredients in the reference section, and gorgeous ones of Vietnam's food culture. I was pleasantly surprised by the range of recipes covered, but I think the techniques & difficulty of many of the recipes are
Charcoal
Jan 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
This book has beautiful pictures in general. However, it doesn't have enough pictures of the finished recipes. Most of the recipes in the book require many ingredients that I don't have or use on a regular basis. I did like how he has a "picture glossary" at the end which identifies many of the ingredients that are called for in the book as well as the benefits of these items.
Tina
Jan 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbook, non-fiction
For those of us unfamiliar with a lot of the ingredients used in Vietnamese cooking, this book can be a little daunting, but the recipes seemed easy to follow. Less pictures than I would've liked, but overall a decent addition to the library's cookbook collection.
Sandy
This is the best Vietnamese Cookbook I have found, it offers real Vietnamese street food and home cooking. The author, Charles Phan, is the owner of "The Slanted Door". I borrowed this book from the library but will purchase it.
Janet
Feb 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook
Yum! For the most part I think I'll leave the cooking to Mr. Phan and enjoy his dishes at his restaurant, Slanted Door! But I may attempt the Fried Rice, Wok-Fried Rice Noodles, the Soy Braised Pork Belly and the not-to-be-served-in-a-restaurant Scrambled Eggs and Pork. Did I say YUM?
Sps
Mar 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 600s, cookbooks
Eat this: broccoli with roasted chile paste and beech mushrooms. I've made it twice according to the recipe, and made other broccoli/stir-fried veggie dishes patterned on it several other times in the last month. Salty spicy good.

Karen Ballum
I flagged a few recipes to try but I feel like many in this book are too involved for the average home cook. I really like the visual ingredient index at the back.
Emily
Oct 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: food
Few vegetarian recipes, though most could be converted (veggie stock for beef stock, etc.).
Pixie
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. Grainy snapshots. Hubby says it "looks like a yearbook." I'm pretty sure that whatever essential recipes Phan has are included in his more recent Slanted Door cookbook.
Beka
Dec 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
The pictures look incredible and so delicious. Though none of them seemed doable for me, I would willingly try any of them in his restaurant.
Vi
Jan 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
I am very excited to learn new ways of making my favorite dishes or even improve them :) How fun!
Mai Nguyen
Jul 20, 2014

• Jerusalem: A Cookbook
  • Every Grain of Rice: Simple Chinese Home Cooking
  • Momofuku
  • The Pho Cookbook: Easy to Adventurous Recipes for Vietnam's Favorite Soup and Noodles
  • Gran Cocina Latina: The Food of Latin America
  • The Banh Mi Handbook: Recipes for Crazy-Delicious Vietnamese Sandwiches
  • The Mortal Hero: An Introduction to Homer's Iliad
  • Some of the Best from Tor.com, 2014 edition
  • CCNA Security Study Guide: Exam 210-260
  • Dungeons & Dragons vs Rick and Morty (D&D Tabletop Roleplaying Game Adventure Boxed Set)
  • Batman Confidential, Vol. 1: Rules of Engagement
  • Manga Studio 5 Beginner's Guide
  • Cooking by Hand
  • BraveTart: Iconic American Desserts
  • Boswell's Enlightenment
  • A Short Guide to Writing About Art (The Short Guide Series)
  • How the Irish Invented Slang: The Secret Language of the Crossroads