Start by marking “The Beast (The Beast, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Beast (The Beast, #2)

The Beast

(The Beast #2)

**This is the sequel novella to Bastien and now has a new, rewritten ending** 11/17/13

There are hard lessons to take from the story of Beauty and the Beast, which tend to be forgotten. Knowing there is a happy ending to be had, we tend to overlook and forgive the Beast’s flaws. But what if they’re not so easy to dismiss? A gentle man trapped in the body of a beast is one t
ebook, Smashwords Edition, 52 pages
Published January 14th 2012 by Smashwords (first published March 13th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Beast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Beast

Tammy Walton Grant
Beauty and the Beast turned on its head - I really liked this, wished it were longer, and will snap up the second one as soon as it comes out. :)

A complete fluke that I even saw this. I was wasting time on my iPhone, trolling for free books and found it. Very glad I did.
[̲̅ρ̲̅υ̲̅и̲̅y̲̅α̲̅]
Sha Mslvoe
May 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommended to Sha Mslvoe by: [̲̅ρ̲̅υ̲̅и̲̅y̲̅α̲̅]
Shelves: on-nook, freebie, novella
I find the story beautifully written, I truly enjoyed it. It was really good I got into it, I only wish the story was a little bit longer. Thanks Punya for the great recommendation.
Siobhan
Oct 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
I found this book by chance, when I was searching for some free books on my iPhone – you know those moments where you simply need something short to get through and you have nothing to hand so you resort to reading on your phone.

For a chance book – for a chance free book at that – this was a brilliant short story. In fact, it’s probably one of my favourite short stories. As a big Beauty and the Beast fan, I can honestly say I adored the twist added in this story. I really could imagine this bein
Netanella
Feb 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
3 1/2 stars rounded up to 4, because that's how rounding works.

A very nicely done retelling of the Beauty and the Beast fairy tale story, that starts literally in media res, with Lysette reading bed time stories to Lord Bastien, our cursed Beast character, in order to pacify his dark side. There are interesting twists to this classic fairy tale, which I won't spoil here. Very nicely done, and recommended.
Limau Nipis
I always had the most peculiar luck when reading books. I have just finished reading When Beauty Tamed the Beast by Eloisa James, and this one is another retelling of Beauty and the Beast.

Wonderful book, but a tad too short for my liking
Ivy
Mar 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was a awesome re-telling of Beauty and the Beast. I loved it from start to finish. The Lord was a beast and the Master played the part perfectly. Keeping all in the dark about the REAL beast of the story. Wished their was more with the Lillith part....
Stacy
May 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
A very different take on the Beauty and the Beast story. I enjoyed the tale.
Shelley Chastagner
Mar 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Excellent twist on the tale of Beauty and the Beast.
Adult read.
Rosanna Leo
Mar 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
After reading Ms. Donnelly's prequel, Bastien, I was so excited to see how she would end the tale of the Beast, Bastien Sauvage. In The Beast, we finally meet Lyssette, the beauty. The Beast first encounters her as a vision, brought to him from an old tarot card reader, and he is immediately smitten with his dream woman. She taunts him for centuries as he molders in his castle, now under a fairy's curse and shifting from beast to man. Lyssette does arrive, through the help of her unwitting fathe ...more
Rikki
Dec 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, romance
What a great twist on the common Beauty & the Beast. This is sort of an inverted werewolf story, just that it’s not a werewolf but some unspecified beast. On three days a month the nice and friendly beast turns into a human who is a real monster, just without the claws.

Of course, you come to quite like the monster pretty quickly, even though he is a bit mean at first, but that is only defense machanism, isn’t it? Plus, I would be pissed off as well if they chained me to the wall on the few
Julesmarie
Jun 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Mare
Apr 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
The story jumps right assuming you know the original Beauty & the Beast story but adds an interesting twist where the Beast has two forms, one the kind Beast and the other the handsome jerk (Bastien) of a human who earned the curse in the first place.
Beauty, Lysette, is there as per the deal her father made with the Beast regarding the rose “theft”… and she has grown to love the Beast and is trying to figure out how to make the two versions one. Now there is a slight adult hint to the story
Kelly
A nice twist on Beauty and the Beast. Lyssette was a wee bit too introspective for me at times, but I did enjoy that the Beast tried his hardest to give Lyssette what he thought she needed. I was even okay with the lying part. Which is... not normal for me.

This book was a free ARE download I picked up 09/28/12 for the Why Buy the Cow? reading challenge.

-Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal
Michelle
Sep 09, 2013 rated it liked it
I originally read The Beast a year or more ago. Having just finished Bastien, I realized that I would have appreciated The Beast more if I'd read it in context. Alianne Donnelly's writing style in Bastien is superior to that which she shows in The Beast, the book is fuller, richer in both plot and character. Over all, I enjoyed the story and the new and improved version of the classic fairytale.
Sabrina
This was a pretty cool adaption of Beauty's time with the Beast. I wish there had been more to the story overall. I also wish the ending would have been a bit different with the faery Princess. Her scorn ended up sounding like a temper tantrum and she was being scolded by her Mother - a bit silly, could have been better.

But Donnelly is a good writer and kept me entertainted throughout.
Lisa Jo
Oct 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Love this short story. Great take on the 'Beauty and the Beast' theme. My only problem was that it was in the first person...otherwise fabulous! I can always count on a Alianne Donnelly for a thrilling read.
Missy Jane
Dec 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very interesting take on the old fairy tale. I really enjoyed it and am only sad I didn't realize this was a sequel. Now to search for part one...
Candace
Apr 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read this short story in two nights. I love rewritten fairy-tales, and Alianne did not disappoint. Only wish it was a full size novel with more of the back story filled in.
Ladymcbeth
May 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
very pretty story about beauty and the beast... HEA in the end ;)
Aimee
Mar 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Meat take on one of my favorite fairy tales.
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
I didn't like the first book and I hoped this one would be better. It wasn't.
Allie Ritch
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the best Beauty-and-the-Beast-themed stories I've read.
Rachel
Oct 08, 2013 marked it as owned-to-read
*downloaded free on ARE
Regencyfan93
Mar 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: deleted
Too many people in such a short story
Elaysee
Jun 22, 2012
Alexa
Nov 06, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Alianne Donnelly was a wordsmith long before she became a reader. Driven by an insatiable curiosity about everything from history and mythology to science and philosophy, she grew into a fiction writer who hates coloring inside the genre lines. Her books all have elements of romance, with different series sorted under paranormal, science fiction, fantasy, and erotic. And then there’s Wolfen…

Aliann

The Beast (2 books)
  • Bastien (The Beast, #1)
“Dark golden strands of hair fall over the face of a fallen angel. Strong jaw, proud nose, dark brows and a hard, twisted mouth. But his eyes… They aren’t what I expected to see. They are
empty. Cold. Eyes of a true monster.
Promise me.
I promised. And I can see it now. This is not my Beast.
He sneers. “You’re no savior. I know exactly what you are. You’re the bitch that thinks to
banish me. From my own house, no less. Harridan,” he accuses, his fury rising with each word.
My Beast could never be so cruel. “Trespasser. Interloper. Whore!” No, this is not my Beast.
But this was my Beast.
Before he became cursed.”
1 likes
“Dawn.
The transformation is gruesome and brings me to my feet. My legs nearly buckle, but I stumble to the doorway, terrified for the man-beast in the destroyed room.
He screams and roars, shaking with pain, and grief, and such horrible shame. My heart bleeds, weeping for him. I fall to my knees, helpless to do anything but watch.
When it is finally, blessedly over, my Beast bows his head, looking utterly exhausted. His rumbling breaths are a comfort like nothing I’ve ever known.
I cannot give up on the monster of a man. For this gentle, tormented Beast, I must fight on. I must find a way to free him.”
1 likes