Start by marking “Fish Eyes: A Book You Can Count On” as Want to Read:
Fish Eyes: A Book You Can Count On

Fish Eyes: A Book You Can Count On

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  629 Ratings  ·  91 Reviews
Now toddlers can dive into counting with this board book edition of one of Lois Ehlert’s most popular books. With cutout fish eyes to touch and an energetic fish friend to guide them, they’ll have so much fun they won't even notice they’re learning!
Board Book, 32 pages
Published September 1st 2001 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Fish Eyes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fish Eyes

Britt Guild
Mar 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I love Lois Ehlert's bright and colorful pictures. The pictures of fish jump out of the page and my daughter loves counting each fish eye. There is a rhythm to the book where we almost turn each page to a beat. My preschool daughter has learned book concepts by just wanting to turn each page. We enjoy reading and counting together as we anticipate the last line of the book, "all of those fish eyes looking at me."

This pictures in this picture book are so vivid and clear that it is a great book to
Kristy Breese
What? This book encourages children to pretend that they turn into a fish. Children will have fun counting from 1-10 as they count the brightly colored fish.

So What? Again, I love the vibrant, bright colors that Ehlert uses in her books. Children will enjoy reading this book.

Now What? This might be a fun book to use during a math unit. I might be able to use it during an oceanography unit as well.
Kelly
A pretty good concept book for counting, also good for teaching prediction, however some fish are hard to see and count even when they are suppose to be obvious. Somewhat bad execution in the illustration because of a lack of sufficient contrast. Not as attractive as the Circus book by Ehlert.
Tessa
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this book because it will give students who are just getting started on numbers and simple addition an idea on what is to be expected. The students are able to count the fish on the pages to find the right answers to the questions, and then check it at the bottom of the page.
Cathy
Brightly colored fish introduce young children to counting and basic addition in this fun and simple concept book. “A visual treat from start to finish.”--Booklist

Colorful fish to count - cute
Dani
Title: Fish Eyes
Illustrator: Lois Ehlert
Genre: Counting Book
Theme(s): Numbers, Fish, Patterns, Adjectives
Opening line/sentence:
“If I could put on a suit of scales,”
Brief Book Summary:
The book goes through counting different fish, each with a cut out for their eye. The book proceeds in numerical order, while also changing the look of the fish. The book introduces adjectives and patterns to describe the fish.
Professional Recommendation/Review #1:
Illustrator:
Genre: Counting Book
Theme(s): Counting, addition, colors, patterns
Opening line/sentence:
If I could put on a suit of scales
Brief Book Summary:
A small black fish wishes he could be a beautiful fish. He tells the readers what he would see if he were a beautiful fish by counting from 1 to 10.
Professional Recommendation/Review #1:
Kirkus (Kirkus Reviews, 1990)
Returning to the electric color contrasts of Growing Vegetable Soup
Molly Maloney
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Title: Fish Eyes: A book You Can Count On
Genre: Children's literature, counting book
Theme(s): Counting
Opening line/sentence: “If I could put on a suit of scales,”
Brief Book Summary:This book begins by wishing to turn into a beautiful fish and swimming very far. While swimming very far, the fish would see - “1 green fish, 2 jumping fish, three smiling fish,” and so on until “10 darting fish.” The fish would continue to swim until he sees all of those fish eyes looking at him.
P
Heidi
Nov 09, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Fish Eyes: A Book You Can Count on by Lois Ehlert ( Harcourt Brace & Company 1990) 34 P. Counting Picture Book

Summary - What would you be if you could be anything in the world? Follow the wish of someone wanting to be a fish. As the plain fish travels the ocean, it gathers more followers which leads to a colorful, counting adventure.

Critique – The concept behind the main character in the book.

(B) Beside teaching kids to count, this book proves that leaders come in all shapes and sizes. Som
Becca Buckman
Nov 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fish Eyes: A Book You Can Count On was written by Lois Ehlert. This story fits into the concept genre of picture books. Come travel a sea of reading, swimming, counting and learning with the numerous fish characters presented throughout. This book uses many mathematical concepts to help students with counting and numbers as well as words and rhyming.

a.) A strength of Ehlert’s book is presented in the different types of fish seen swimming in the story which help keep the reader interested and int
  • Hooray For Fish!
  • Count!
  • Math Potatoes: Mind-stretching Brain Food
  • Ten Black Dots
  • Big Fat Hen
  • One Two That's My Shoe!
  • Ten Little Fish