Start by marking “Look at My Book: How Kids Can Write & Illustrate Terrific Books” as Want to Read:
Look at My Book: How Kids Can Write & Illustrate Terrific Books

Look at My Book: How Kids Can Write & Illustrate Terrific Books

With the help of some spunky and humorous characters, Loreen Leedy tells kids everything they need to do to become authors, illustrators, editors, and designers of their own fantastic books.
Published December 3rd 2005 by Holiday House (first published March 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Look at My Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Look at My Book

Robert Owens
Read this to the class. It's actually okay, but it did nothing for me. It seems dated.

It takes a student through the writing process offering three examples (a boy, a girl, and a dog). Those examples run throughout the book.

One thing that detracts is that the revise and edit sections are so basic. The examples provided I fear may give students the feeling that these steps can be done without much work.
Angie  Moore
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great ‘how to’ book for writing!
Claudia
May 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
(CIP) Provides ideas and simple directions for writing, illustrating, designing, and binding books.

(Claudia) Leedy provides admirably clear and straightforward directions and suggestions for creating a book, step-by step, from the writing process – brainstorming ideas, choosing a genre, imagining characters – through designing, illustrating, and binding the final product. The information is imaginatively embedded in lively illustrations that follow a brown-haired boy, brown-skinned girl, and bro
Alyssa
May 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for children that are getting started with language arts and creating works of their own. This book will be a great one to keep in the classroom library for independent reading. Children can go to it to get ideas in starting writing their own book or more experienced writers can get tips on how to make their creations even better. The book utilizes step-by-step lists of instructions for getting started on certain aspects of writing. It also provides an index of resources tha ...more
Dolly
Dec 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: children who want to create a book
This is a nicely detailed book that explains step-by-step the process in creating a book. The narrative is simple and the steps are easy to understand. The illustrations are colorful and will inspire a child's creativity. I liked the words of encouragement and the overall theme that making a book is easy and fun. Our oldest loves this book; she's always starting a new book project and this book shows her how to put it all together.
June Pecchia
Aug 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Excellent overview of the steps to create an original book. I highly recommend you read this together with your child over the course of several days, discussing each step. In my opinion, best to read the entire book together before you try to take any of the steps.

This would be a great recipe book for parent and child to each create a book according to their own interests, side-by-side, and compare processes, successes, struggles, and product.

Great to have on your reference shelf.
Kalynda
This story takes more of a non-fiction approach to the writing process, and does so through the examples and thoughts of three main characters. I loved the organization and features that puts it in the non-fiction category, but also the consistent characters and development that gives it the beginning, middle, and end of fictional stories. This book can be read all at once, or with support of a teacher or facilitator who focuses on section by section.
Lauren Brown
This book provides students with information on how to brainstorm, research, write, and illustrate. It shows examples throughout of each section and is really kid friendly with really good illustrations.
Michele
Mar 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: booksonbooks
Looks nothing like a textbook, yet contains plenty of guidance on the essentials for developing a book.
May 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Too busy for TRC
Susan
Would be fun to have at a book making program.
Think&Pink 2CleverBlog
Feb 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-book
My 7 year old loved this and wrote many books after reading it. Great idea starter.
Alexia
Aug 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
SIJFSH
Oct 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I hope this book is funny!
Elaine Duree
Really like this book by Loreen Leedy has a clear outline of how to write and illustrate books.
Jessica
Mar 13, 2013
Sidney Lee
Aug 17, 2016
Ben
rated it did not like it
Jul 06, 2013
Hyeonjeong Lee
Apr 14, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Loreen Leedy is the author and illustrator of over 40 picture books with math, science, language arts, and other curriculum content. Her books showcase information in a kid-friendly format, often with characters and entertaining stories.

Honors and awards for her books include: ALA Notable Book, Science Books and Films finalist, Reading Rainbow feature book, Chicago Library Best of the Best, many S