Start by marking “Word and Deed” as Want to Read:
Word and Deed

Word and Deed

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  97 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Death or an arranged marriage, Verity refuses to accept the choices.

Verity Favian's father dies unexpectedly. Her half-brother, Verdon, lays claim to all their father left behind: title, castle, and her. Verdon cannot touch the land set aside for her dowry so he offers her hand for sale to the highest bidder. Lord Silvanticus, a man renowned for his military power and clos
ebook
Published January 12th 2012 by Rachel Rossano (first published January 11th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Word and Deed, please sign up.

Valerie In my opinion, PG. The hero says one thing baldly to the heroine, but there is only a passionate kiss at the end.

Tifferz
Jan 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this powerful story of love and learning to trust. Rachel has crafted a wonderful romance packed with mystery, murder, a crazy abusive brother and a hero that is unforgettable . I consumed Word and Deed in one sitting and I had a smile on my face, satisfied with the story and ending. I did not want to say goodbye to Bryn and Verity. I only wish the story was longer. Maybe even just an epilogue with them a few years down the road. This is a clean heartwarming story. I can't wai ...more
Suzana
Feb 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy Rachel Rossano's writing. Instead of "telling" a story, she "shows" you and you can't help but be pulled in and immersed in the worlds she creates. The only complaint I have is that they are too short, which is also probably a good thing...lol. Otherwise, I would lose myself in her worlds and not want to come back to reality.
TJ
Feb 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5.0

Absolutely fabulous storytelling! This story has everything a romance reader dreams of - except the length to turn it into a can't-put-down keeper and that's the very frustrating part.
Jaimey
Jan 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: sweet romance fans
My rating: 4.7 of 5 stars
Sensitive readers warning: None. There's no language, no graphic violence, and no graphic sex.

In case it matters to you: I know the author; she happens to be a good reading/writing/cover designing buddy of mine. So I got to read this before it came out and I liked it so much that I bought it. And no, I do not buy all the books written by my friends, just so you know. I'm too poor (i.e., cheap) for that.

That said, I loved it! It was sweet, gritty, fast-paced, and impos
Ana
May 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Reviewed for InD'Tale magazine. The review can be found here.
Tara Chevrestt
Jan 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was really impressed by this novelette. At first, I thought how strong can a woman trapped in a tower be? And I was immensely pleased and surprised when she turned out quite strong indeed.

Even though she knows she'll be slapped and beaten, Verity speaks the truth, about her brother, her father's death, her feelings. It is what gets her thrown in the tower.

She's truly fearless though, even when a man shows up in the garden...and when presented with knives, she doesn't screech and run away, but
Jannette Fuller
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Word and Deed is an intriguing short story. The author (Rachel Rossano) has a wonderful way with words. Her descriptions are picturesque, her pacing keeps you turning the pages, and the mysterious auras that loom from her characters makes one ponder if some are truly mad, or if they even exist....

Verdity Favian was purchased with a high price by Lord Silvanticus to be his bride. No thanks to her evil half-brother Verdon. As if that were not enough, he locked her away in a tower, the tower he inh
Roseanne Wilkins
Jan 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: clean-romance
As a busy mother with small children, Rachel knows well the value of a mother's time. She is able to create wonderful stories that feel complete in a few short chapters. Verity is a strong female character. She is drawn to Bryn, a soldier connected to the company of her betrothed. Rachel has plenty of action and romance wrapped up in a tight package. Highly recommended.
Kathy * Bookworm Nation
A fun, quick escape. I wish it were longer and the plot/characters were a little more developed. I enjoyed it though.
Penelope Bartotto
Jun 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
First, it is important to make this perfectly clear... this is a short story, a novella, not a full length novel. With that in mind, my first statement... more, please, I would really like some more.
What is good about this novella? So much. There is a great cast of characters, a solid story with a grand plot. There are details that so many when writing a short story, tend to think are unimportant and let slip away. Rossano doesn't do this, she packs her punch solidly and seriously leaves you wis
Shantelle
Word and Deed is a quick and captivating story telling of Verity, a young woman in the cruel hands of her murderous half-brother, and doomed to an arranged marriage to man she's never met. She must chose who to trust with her words, and her heart, in this tale.

As I mentioned, it was a fast read. I read it all through almost in one sitting. Thoroughly entertaining and quite sweet, with a dash of chill and evil plots, it was definitely worth it! :)

It was a clean read, though the romance would c
Peggy
Aug 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
A quick, fun read.
Donna
Apr 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
I would have given it more stars but it was too short. I wanted more!
Patricia
Jun 17, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a novella, a short novella. The story had some interesting elements in it. Hence the three stars, but I really don't like novellas--I decided to read it before I found out it was a novella. The ending just seemed so abrupt. That is a sometime problem with novellas. This was a clean romance, however.
Kimberly A.
Jul 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a quick read. A true short story, but one that I enjoyed.

Plot - Grade B+

I enjoyed the plot. It was simple and straightforward in a couple areas to the point where it was really easy to guess the ending. However, short stories tend to be predictable due to the restricted amount of plot twists and layers. What I really like is that there is a whole story contained within the 48 pages. The ending resolves the pertinent matters while allowing the reader to imagine a pleasant future.

Content
English
Apr 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I own about five Kindle books by Rachel Rossano, but chose to read this one first as a short introduction to her work- and frankly because, as I am part way through about three other titles, I did not want to start another full-length book yet.

Overall, I was very pleased with this short story. It rather reminded me of traditional tales, with the pretty girl locked in a tower, and paid homage to traditional ideas, beliefs and values such as chivalry, honour and true love.
Yet there was a contemp
Valerie
Aug 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow, for an extremely short love story, I found this very compelling, I still can't stop thinking about the H and h! I wish the story had gone on longer, but the ending was perfect for its length. It certainly gave wings to the imagination, both for their immediate future, and for the longer time of learning each others ways in their marriage.

Usually I like mushiness in a love story (I really liked Edenbrook), but this one was decidedly unmushy, similar to Shards of Honor which I also liked a lo
Beyond the Squee
Apr 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a short story with heart.

After reading Duty: a novel of Rhynan, I immediately looked at more from Ms. Rossano and bought this one.

Another fun adventure! Just the right reading length of a cup of tea and a scone!
Sandie Mixa
Feb 24, 2013 rated it liked it
It was a great way to pass the time in a dr. office waiting room. I liked the plot and the characters, but the shortness of the book (43 pp.) did detract from several things. Like developing the relationship. I found the descriptions of the scenery lacking and also some of the characters motives. I was confused about half the time.
Nicole
Dec 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Some reference made to adult themes.
4.5 stars - Very sweet and engrossing. I appreciated the detail and depth given to this story in spite of its short length. I was able to picture the setting and characters, and felt drawn in as I would with a story much longer. I finished and wished I could spend more time with the characters! Very well done.
Sharon
Apr 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
This story is short and sweet. It is fantasy, almost fairytale-like, with a bit of medieval ambience thrown in. This tale is way too short. I wanted these characters to play out so many more scenes. It feels like I was only given a mere glimpse into their lives as though I had only seen the movie trailer and not the full length feature itself.
Kathie (katmom)
Apr 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a very short story. But I enjoyed it all the same!

A bit of drama, a bit of mystery, a bit of romance.

It was nice to sit inside on this blustery afternoon, a handful of Swedish Fish, a cup of half and half laced coffee...and read!

I really must check out more of Ms. Rossano's books!
InD'tale Magazine
4.5/5.0

A truly amazing story, even if a bit too short. Both Verity and our hero are very well-drawn and likable.

Read full review in the 2012 July/August issue of InD’tale Magazine.
Angela
Jul 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
Even for a novella, this was not well done. The story would have been much better as a full-length book, because there wasn't room here for any depth.
Trisha
Jun 03, 2013 rated it liked it
short story. i read it and forgot to rate it but i remember thinking it was cute.
Gretchen Jeske
Jun 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Would have liked to have more story for these characters, but we do have is done pretty well.
Pat
Mar 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: clean-romance
I did really like the story so I would actually give it a 3 1/2 stars but I also have read Ms. Rossano's most recent book so I know she can write so much more and better.
Kagama-the Literaturevixen
What time period does the book take place in? Or is it a fantasy?
The cover implies medieval or renaissance.
Lydia
rated it it was ok
Jan 21, 2017
Nicole
Jan 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
I was born in the northern midwest to a missionary pastor and his wife. As the oldest of four, I learned to be mature and responsible at an early age. That, however, did not prevent me from having constant flights of fancy. In my early teens, those flights of fancy began to make it to the page. I have always loved reading and constantly had my nose in a book growing up (fuel for those fanciful fli ...more
More about Rachel Rossano...