Start by marking “Snowman Shivers: Scary Snowman Tales” as Want to Read:
Snowman Shivers: Scary Snowman Tales

Snowman Shivers: Scary Snowman Tales

You might never build a snowman again!

If you ever cast an uncomfortable glance over your shoulder when passing the silent snowy sentinels that stand looking at you as you pass on the icy sidewalk, if you've ever questioned what might really happen if the old silk hat placed on Frosty the Snowman's head was truly magic, then these two dark humor snowman tales by Mark Leslie
ebook
Published December 20th 2011 by Stark Publishing (first published December 9th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Snowman Shivers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snowman Shivers

Melki
Jan 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two disturbing tales about what it really means to be a snowman.

Hint - there is no singing and children are the ENEMY!

description

At least Raymond Briggs got this part right.

description

Judging by the glaring typo in the introduction, I was not expecting much from this, but the stories were compelling and inventive. Wish there had been more. I'll definitely check out other titles from this author.
Shirley Revill
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two very short stories that where fun to read and made me think of snowmen in a new light.
We really must remember to make sure our snowman has a mouth this year and maybe a pair of glasses for added measure. Very entertaining. Recommended.
Montzalee Wittmann
2 great snowmen stories!

Snowman Shivers: Two Dark Humor Takes about Snowmen by Mark Leslie has one story from the woman's point of view. The other story is very clever too!
Linda
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Snowman Shivers

I love a good scary story. This is the first book I have read by this author and it was really good. Looking forward to reading more by this author.
Scot
Jan 14, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Snowman review

This was ok. I never would have imagined snowmen have such morbid thoughts. I won't see snowmen in the same light again.
Roxanne
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this book

Really enjoy reading this book. I love short stories . Will be reading more of Marks shorts stories thanks for writing them.
Shadow Girl
Jan 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I found this because of Mark's brilliant marketing & moved it towards the top of the holiday queue!

THAT OLD SILK HAT THEY FOUND : That snowman you built? He's alive. He thinks, he speaks, and he feels. They speak to each other, since everyone else is oblivious. Telling tales of what has been, and what is to come. I will never build another snowman as long as I live.

IDES OF MARCH : What would be The Apocalypse to a snowman? Spring? As Charlie sits at his desk, doing his taxes, he learnes that
L.T. Getty
Dec 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Two shorts relating to snowman horror - I'm not the best person to review horror, but in my opinion they were an enjoyable read and, who hasn't watched a once plump and jolly snowman whither away into strange charicatures which, especially as a kid, seems horrific? (Those who probably live in warmer climates, but...)

These two stories aren't gross-out horror so much psychological terror, and while some might find the terror mild, I for one prefer the understated type that leaves the reader think
Steve Vernon
Dec 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Have you ever been cold? Really cold? Have you ever felt that icy coolness creeping up through your feet and into your ankles and your knees and the bones of your body? Have you ever felt the winter reaching down into your very soul?

I guarantee that - after reading this two-story collection - you will NEVER look at a snowman the same way again.

In a word - chilling.

Or better yet - cool.

Real cool.

yours in storytelling,

Steve Vernon
Jean Mc
Jul 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I look forward to reading a full length novel by this author. Mark Leslie is a wonder with descriptions. I would even go far to say that his descriptions he made shiver from the cold on a blistering hot patio.
Lorraine
2.5-3.0 stars. Really hate giving a book 2stars....
Two short stories, both with a great concept... I feel both story lines needed to be developed more to really have a deeper and more complex story.
Liliana
Reviewed on Lili Lost in a Book

This book had two short horror novellas about snowmen. It sounded interesting and immediately captured my attention! And I gotta say, I really enjoyed the read!

The first story was told in the POV of a snowman, so that in itself was interesting. Just seeing the world from their POV and all their fears and questions about why they came into being.... Excuse the pun, but it was very cool! And actually quite horrifying! From our own, human perspective, it’s just everyd
KIM
Mar 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'll start with the simple statement that I found these stories stupid. No scary villains no storyline or plot just two short stories that could have come from an eighth grade writing assignment. It was free so if your looking for a thirty minute read check it out for yourself.
Gwen Schwartz
Okay

I like to have fun with books and let my imagination go wild, but this book asked a bit more than I could give. It just came across as silly and contrived. I really tried to like it, but I just couldn't get in to it. Sorry Mr. Leslie.
Evonne Crosswell
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Scary Fun

My main problem with this book is that it was so short. I feel as if the afterword could have been room for another story.
Clint Walker Jr
I'll never look at snowmen the same again
janice
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Snowman's Reality

Loved these stories never thought about snowmen before and the reality of spring mind blowing love to read more like this
Barbara Ann
Feb 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
This review is from: Snowman Shivers: Scary Snowmen Tales (Kindle Edition)

Two short stories that are more unusual than scary in the traditional sense. In the first tale, "That Old Silk Hat They Found," the reader is treated to a dialogue between two snowmen who come to life. The Oldtimer is passing down his knowledge about how humans create snowmen strictly for their own pleasure. He bemoans their fate. As a band of children arrive to attack one of them, the reader is provided a unique perspect
Heather
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Two very short stories with an introduction. This should be better edited for its size - there are missing words, wrong forms of words, and missing punctuation.

I like the title "Snowman Shivers" but the scary part is not very accurate. These are definitely two snowmen tales, but they are not scary.

The short stories are thought provoking to some extent. I think they would fit in better with a few longer stories. They don't work well together, paired in a small book format. There needs to be more
Emily Craven
These short stories has turned me off making snowmen for life, I hope that the previous snowmen I've made have never truly been alive! These tales were beautifully told; an entertaining read on my commute.

The thing I really loved about these short stories was the author also had a section where he went into detail about where the ideas for the stories originally came from, it was awesome to have a behind the scenes look.

Highly recommended short read.
Jeremiah M McCarthy
Better, and funnier than expected

I honestly hadn't thought much when I picked this one up, but surprisingly it was very good, and well written. My only gripe is that it too was short, and I honestly wish the author would complete a small novel or a collection of short stories on this universe. A very solid read.
Michelle
Jan 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Ever wonder what a snowman thinks about his existence? You'll look at them very differently after this pair of stories.
Stacey Corkum
Dec 13, 2013 rated it did not like it
Not my cup of tea...glad it was a free e-book.
Avery Olive
Aug 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Mark Leslie takes something as simple as a snowman, and puts a brilliant and dark twist on it.
These two stories might have you thinking twice about building a snowman in the future.
Corey Bright
rated it did not like it
Sep 30, 2013
Jul 07, 2018
Candyland
Dec 20, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Mark is a writer, editor and bookseller who was born and grew up in Sudbury, spent many years in Ottawa and currently lives in Hamilton, Ontario.

As a bookseller, Mark has worked for Indigo Books and Music, Inc. (previously known as Chapters; and prior to that known as Coles) in various locations and roles, at Titles Bookstore McMaster University, and the Director of Self-Publishing and Author Rela