Start by marking “An Infamous Marriage” as Want to Read:
An Infamous Marriage

An Infamous Marriage

Northumberland, 1815

At long last, Britain is at peace, and General Jack Armstrong is coming home to the wife he barely knows. Wed for mutual convenience, their union unconsummated, the couple has exchanged only cold, dutiful letters. With no more wars to fight, Jack is ready to attempt a peace treaty of his own.

Elizabeth Armstrong is on the warpath. She never expected
ebook
Published November 5th 2012 by Carina Press

To ask other readers questions about An Infamous Marriage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Infamous Marriage

Start your review of An Infamous Marriage
Jill
Oct 15, 2012 rated it really liked it

Major-General Sir John (Jack) Armstrong is sailing home to England. With the hostilities between England and America finally at an end, Jack is returning to his farm in Northumberland and his wife, Elizabeth. For Jack, a career military man, peace time does not rest easy with him. Neither does the prospect of seeing his wife for the first time in five years. For their marriage was one of convenience, duty and honour.

Elizabeth, briefly married to Jack's best friend Giles, gave her word
Caz
Oct 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is easily one of the best historical romances I’ve read. The story of a marriage of convenience is not an unusual one in the genre, but what I really liked about this one was the fact that at least a third of the book is taken up with showing us what life is like for the protagonists after they have made a go of their marriage and admitted their love for one another. In many books, that’s more or less the end of the story, but not here.

The characterisation in the novel is excellent. Jack
Rane
Jan 12, 2012 rated it really liked it

Susanna Fraser has yet to let me down when it comes to her very earthy regencies with their more character driven plot and characters that never come across as two dimensional sexual creatures that have more modern tastes then someone from that time and era.
Fraser hits the right note when it comes to the infidelity portrayed in this story. It's not an easy subject and not one to take lightly, but Fraser shows all angles of those in the marriage that are affected by the infidelity and the
willaful
Fraser's third novel confirms my opinion of her as a go-to writer for Regency romance that is actually set in the Regency rather than in that Never-Neverland mash-up that's been dubbed "The Recency" or "Almackistan." It's a gracefully written, authentic feeling story.

Soldier Jack Armstrong is too honorable to ignore a deathbed promise, and so he dutifully marries his best friend's widow just before heading back to the war. But his resentment about being forced to marry a "dull, cold mouse" leads
Lyuda
Mar 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Buddy-read with Bubulinea.

We've established we don't wish each other dead. I suppose it's a beginning.

Two things I knew for sure at the beginning of my reading journey:
1) Susanna Fraser is a writer who can pen a fabulous character-driven story, and
2) The main conflict of this particular story is the hero’s infidelity- always a risky subject in romance.

I’m happy to report the journey was thought-provoking and entertaining, infused with gratifying realism and historical accuracy. It featured
Mimi Smith
Oct 19, 2012 rated it liked it
3 stars

"The rules of fair play do not apply in love and war."
-John Lyly

If there is one thing John Armstrong knows, it's war. He's wanted to be a soldier all his life and has done his best to become the best he could be. But, love... Love might be harder to gain. Especially since he's been married for 5 years to a woman he barely knows as a result to a pledge made to his dying friend. Fortunately he's spent those five years away at war. Unfortunately, he now has to get back to his ball and
Preeti ♥︎ (Romance She Reads)
Okay wow, so he sows his wild oats wild and free and then when (some somewhere) war is over, it's England and home and farm and begetting of an heir and wifey for him (in that order) - even if said sheep and wife do not excite him one whit!

*Spoilerish*
Romance is boring and love is confused with sex.
Sex is non-vanilla but icky and affected.
His morals are cunning and clearcut - lying is okay till you get caught. I expect better from a soldier.
His grovel seems more like snivelling.

What else? The
Heather *Undercover Goth Queen*
DNF

Jack and Elizabeth marry because of a promise to Elizabeth's dying husband, though neither is particularly excited about it. Jack doesn't think too highly of Elizabeth's looks or sex appeal (he compares her to the women he's had in the past), and he goes off to war without consummating the marriage, staying gone for several years. Eventually Elizabeth hears of his infidelity. Some of what she heard is wrong, but the fact remains that he slept with other women while they were apart and she's
Rose Lerner
Nov 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It's one of those books where the more I think about it, the more I love it: the hero and heroine, the story, the tone, how everything is dealt with. I could go on AT LENGTH, so I'll just make a short list of two of my favorite things:

1. I love the hero and heroine. Normally part of the
wish-fulfillment fantasy of a romance for me (as a reader AND a writer) is imagining myself as a more heroic and dramatic PERSON, if that makes sense--like, "What if I were as fabulous as this
Lady Wesley
Dec 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: amz-rev
Five++ Stars!

I am a big fan of Carla Kelly's historical romances, so I can pay Susanna Fraser no higher compliment than to say that An Infamous Marriage is very Carla Kellyesqe. The plot, the pacing, and the characterization are all excellent. The story of how this marriage of convenience becomes a love match is deep and moving.

Actually, the plot is rather simple. Around 1810 newly knighted Major General Sir John (Jack) Armstrong returns to his family home in Yorkshire after years with the Army
Kathie (katmom)
Oct 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Thank you NetGalley and Carina Press for giving me the opportunity to read AN INFAMOUS MARRIAGE.

First, I need to say that infidelity in a ROMANCE tends to squick me out. I've stopped reading other books that have this element in them.

Having said that, THIS book made both of these characters human in their acts and reactions.

General Jack Armstrong felt badly the first time he broke his vows. And then figured that his wife, Elizabeth, back in England while he was in Canada, would never find out.
Cheesecake
I knew this would be a super angsty read and it is.
Does he redeem himself? I think so... But he will never be on my top list of romantic heroes.
################
but only 3 stars upon revisiting this one.
There is one part near the end that tarnishes what would have been a lovely grovel. (view spoiler)
Bubu
Mar 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars, hr
Buddy-read with Lyuda. And thanks again for another lovely buddy-read with you!

Since I read this together with Lyuda, and we agreed on actually every point, I'll be referring to her brilliant review a lot. She also provides a very good description of the plot which allows me to be lazy and leave it out. Sorry, love!

An Infamous Marriage is an exceptionally lovely story of two very normal people with normal backgrounds who first meet under sad circumstances and who unwillingly end up in a
Nefise
Jul 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Nefise by: Jill
It was very well written, very simple, yet at the same time very engaging reading.

Unfortunatelly, lack of time, I could finish it in a long time and it caused break the enjoyment. However, with any other books, I would completly lost my intrest.

I like how author picturized the importance of communication and honesty in a relationship. How it helps to building trust and let other person come closer to you and then how they start to love each other.
There wasn't anything artificial about their
Nikki ღ Navareus
***TWO STARS***

This story bored me silly. I wasn't fond of the heroine at all. I love this type of story when it's angsty and I can feel the pain suffered from the wife who feels unworthy of her husband. In this case, I couldn't stand the wife enough to care how she felt. For that matter, I wasn't overly fond of the hero either. Wish I had enjoyed this one a bit more.
Mou
Jan 15, 2018 marked it as avoid
Infidelity
Cheesecake's Review
Ruth
Sep 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
I am a bit of a stickler for accuracy in the historical romances I read. To come across some mistake which could have been avoided by a 30 second browse through Wikipedia, or a quick read of one of the many easy guides to life in the past (like Jane Austen's England) strikes me, to be honest, as a bit lazy or sloppy in an author.

Then you come across romances, like this one, provided by the publisher through netgalley, in which the accuracy and detail is not only really solid, but beautifully
Jess the Romanceaholic
I don't like infidelity in a romance, but if it has to be there, then this is how it should be done.

Very solid 4/5 stars, with a full review to follow.
Wollstonecrafthomegirl
One word review: competent.

Damning with faint praise? A little.

I feel pretty passive about the whole experience of this book, which may say more about my current headspace than the book itself.

This was a pleasant, even, well-written romance with some good sex. It was period appropriate and I liked the heroine a lot. The romance between the H/h developed nicely, starting from a place of animosity and growing into believable love. By the end I was very much sold on them as a good married couple
Dorothea
Nov 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
I'll start by saying that the only reason I didn't enjoy this story completely is because of a personal story-reading taste of mine that I think most people don't share -- and the very incident that poked me in this sore spot was later resolved in one of the nicest parts of the whole novel -- so now I think it was all worth it.

An Infamous Marriage has one of my very favorite kinds of romance: the kind in which there's some sort of marriage of convenience that begins when the parties are (at
Michele ~ la Smoocherina
3.25 Stars.

There was some great parts in the middle, where he was earning back her trust and she was striving forward, but all of the society stuff and battles takes away from it. I couldn't wait for the book to be over.
Melissa
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Ashley, Alex, Ania
I love a marriage of convenience story more than almost anything, and this was a very good one. Major-General Jack Armstrong, has been away from England and his wife, Elizabeth, for five years. They'd married after Giles, Jack's best childhood friend and Elizabeth's husband of only a fortnight, fell horribly ill and made them promise to wed if he should die. Elizabeth had no family to take care of her, and Giles wants his friend to make sure she was secure and safe after his death.

Jack takes his
Hero
Jan 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
There js something about two people intentionally or randomly thrown together into a marriage, and what they make of it, that really interests me. I thought that the premise of a dying husband asking his wife and his best friend to marry each other was awkwardly set up, but it did the trick of getting Elizabeth and Jack married so we could get on to the meat of the story.

It was interesting that Jack, a man who keeps his word and who has a strong sense of honor, thought nothing of cheating on the
Karma♥Bites ^.~
Well-written w/ engaging storyline which carries into the Battle of Waterloo. But unfortunately, among other things, this is 2nd book this month in which info/statements from the beginning of the book undermined credibility/believability @ the back-end.

Romance too rushed/underdeveloped. Never felt that the H redeemed himself; IMO, he was deceptive, selfish & cowardly for 99% of the book who seemed to confess & apologise for repeated adultery only *after* being found out. What import,
Tori
An Infamous Marriage by Susanna Fraser
Historical Romance
Ebook
November 5, 2012
Carina Press
Obtained through Net Galley

Favorite Quote: “He may not earned the right, but he meant to live worthily of his extraordinary wife from this day forward.”

Jack Armstrong has spent his whole life on the battlefield, but nothing prepares him for battle he will have to fight in his own home. Jack married Elizabeth for convenience, then returned to the front lines. With the marriage left unconsummated and only a
Bakudis
Nov 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Cheat its not easy matters for me, unforgivable but in this story i quite understand why H cheat.

So H is an war soldier and h is plain, mouse creature woman.
They married because request from Elizabeth dying husband.
This story about betrayed, process to know each other and forgiven.

I think first impressions Jack is rather immature for people aged like him (30 years old). He doesn't want to marry Elizabeth, he feel like trap to married with plain ugly woman just because friend death bed promise.
Widala
Mar 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars rounded up.

What do you expect from a marriage between two strangers, forced by a deathbed promise? Not rainbows and roses for Elizabeth. She understood her duties and obligations in exchange for a place to call home. But never she thought it would include being humiliated when the scandal of Jack's affairs reach her peaceful village.
While Elizabeth realistically didn't expect Jack to celibate, as theirs wasn't a love match, she thought Jack could be discreet and didn't make a fool of
carrietracy
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: racy-romance
I have always like Fraser's writing. I loved Elizabeth, who she was, how she turned out. There was nothing magical or extraordinary about her. Her beauty was the kind that people find for themselves, in themselves and in those they love. Her faults were real, her virtues those than many possess.

Like many romances, the characters are pushed apart by something that perhaps would have been resolved by talking. But Fraser made me buy it. I knew, I expected it and I still was engaged.

So why only 2
Zoe
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
An unremarkable historical romance. Army captain married widow of best friend because said friend made him promise. They got married and guy left to go to war and continued living as if he was single. When he finally had to go home, wife was pissed off because she had heard about his infidelity and was not ready to forgive and forget.

The plot itself is ok, I can see that with a plot like this, the book could have really been something. But the book was rather bland. I flipped through the pages
Ashley
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sometimes it's so nice to sit down with an honest, quality book at the end of the day. It doesn't always happen, but it did today (and yesterday, when I started this :D). I'm tempted to put this on my favorites list but will think on it a little bit before doing so. It didn't change my life, but I found it so heart-warming. I can't stand corny, overly-sentimental crap and there was not a single bit of that in this book. It wasn't a story about a love that moves mountains. It wasn't melodramatic, ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 05, 2015 10:53AM

• Unforgivable
  • The Marriage Bed (Guilty, #3)
  • The Greek's Forgotten Wife (The Boarding School Series, #1)
  • The Rake's Rainbow
  • The Ultimate Betrayal
  • The Temporary Wife
  • A Matter of Class
  • The Torn Up Marriage
  • Inhale, Exhale (Hollow Ridge, #1)
  • The Discarded Wife
  • Silver Lining
  • Forget Me Not
  • The Earl in My Bed (Rebellious Desires #2)
  • What Mattered Most
  • Swimming Naked (A White Picket Fence, #2)
  • Angel in a Devil's Arms (The Palace of Rogues, #2)
  • A Duchess in Name (The Grantham Girls, #1)
  • A Wicked Kind of Husband (Longhope Abbey, #1)
“Mirrors are liars. They tell us what we expect to see.” 9 likes
“the absurdity of the situation struck home and she began to laugh. “What,” he ground out, dropping her hand, “is so amusing?” With difficulty she calmed herself enough to speak. “We’ve established we don’t wish each other dead. I suppose it’s a beginning.” He stared at her, blinked, then laughed along with her. “An excellent beginning.” 0 likes