Start by marking “The Andromeda Strain” as Want to Read:

(Andromeda #1)

3.90  ·  Rating details ·  223,455 ratings  ·  4,125 reviews
Some biologists speculate that if we ever make contact with extraterrestrials, those life forms are likely to be--like most life on earth--one-celled or smaller creatures, more comparable to bacteria than little green men. And even though such organisms would not likely be able to harm humans, the possibility exists that first contact might be our last.
That's the scientifi
Published 2003 by Avon (first published September 1st 1969)

To ask other readers questions about The Andromeda Strain, please sign up.
Nihilistic Librarian No, it's high science fiction, no romance. "Explicit" and what someone would recommend to a teen is entirely relative to the person you are asking.
Wesley D Jones This was the first Michael Crichton book that I read and I found it so thrilling that I read it in one sitting.

·  223,455 ratings  ·  4,125 reviews

Start your review of The Andromeda Strain
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
The writing was drier than a cracker in the desert...

But I loved the book anyway!

It definitely reads like a scientific/army report but this was such an interesting twist on the classic sci-fi (first contact?). I only recommend it if you already love sci-fi and diseases apocalyptic books.

Left me wanting more... I'll definitely read more from the author!
Lyn
Oct 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nine years before Stephen King’s heavy, genre defining smackdown novel The Stand, intelligent tall guy Michael Crichton quietly blew people away with his own hard science Big Bang Theory epidemic story.

Similar to Andy Weir’s brilliant 2011 mega success The Martian, this is hard science fiction told by an actual scientist. But whereas Weir stepped it down for the rest of us with some laugh out loud humor, the good Dr. Crichton put his best bedside manner forward and patiently explained his biolog
Annette
liked the beginning, thought the end was unbelievably anticlimatic.
Henry Avila
Aug 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An ubiquitous small town in the remote Arizona desert , a pleasant area of the late 1960's such a wonderful place is the setting as startled but curious , often bored people in Piedmont where nothing ever happens it does tonight, they look up in the dark sky something is falling, drifting slowly... down just north of the hamlet. Finding a capsule obviously from outer space..However what should they do, give it to the local doctor the silly man opens the object and promptly expires, as will the r ...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Andromeda Strain (Andromeda #1), Michael Crichton

The Andromeda Strain is a 1969 techno-thriller novel by Michael Crichton. A team is deployed to recover a military satellite which has returned to Earth, but contact is lost abruptly.

Aerial surveillance reveals that everyone in Piedmont, Arizona, the town closest to where the satellite landed, is apparently dead.

The duty officer of the base tasked with retrieving the satellite suspects that it returned with an extraterrestrial contaminant an
Paul O'Neill
There's a good story in here, somewhere. If Crichton tackled this idea later in his career it would have undoubtedly been a great book. There's just far too much science and not enough thriller.
Alejandro
This book is a good example that sometimes the rating that one gives to one book isn't fault itself of the book but due the timing of when you read it in relation with having read other books of the same author.

All that long introduction is to explain that my very reason to give only 3 stars to this very good book is because I happened to read it after of reading Sphere (see review of that book: HERE), that I find quite similar in the general premise.

Both books have the calling of a expert scien
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)
************

Everyone at the end of the book: The world is saved!
Book two:

************

I just got my ARC of The Andromeda Evolution in the mail (thank you, HarperCollins!!!!) so, even if it's unnecessary, I'm going to read this

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagram
Dannii Elle
A returning space probe crash lands in a forgotten American town, unwittingly putting it on the map and sparking a potential dangerous outbreak of a catastrophic deathly virus, of which very few people would be immune from. With the human race facing potential extinction it is up to a select few individuals to save the population, whilst keeping the secret under wraps and themselves alive in the process.

Crichton is an undeniable sci-fi genius yet this release was a little on the dry side for me.
Blaine
Jan 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book recounts the five-day history of a major American scientific crisis.

As in most crises, the events surrounding the Andromeda Strain were a compound of foresight and foolishness, innocence and ignorance. Nearly everyone involved had moments of great brilliance, and moments of unaccountable stupidity. It is therefore impossible to write about the events without offending some of the participants.

I decided to reread The Andromeda Strain to get ready for the new sequel, The Andromeda Evolu
Dennis
Last night Trish and I watched the 1971 Robert Wise movie. And while I did like it better than the first time round, I still prefer Crichton's book.

This might be due for a re-read and a proper review in 2019.

In short, a returning space probe brings something with it that instantly kills almost all the people in the small town nearest to the landing site. But what is it? And why are there two survivors?

A team of scientists is put into the Wildfire installation, a zero contaminant facility that's
Joe Valdez
Mar 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The sixth novel by Michael Crichton but the first published (in 1969) under his own name and the first in which he bent science fiction and suspense together in ways that would propel Crichton to the top of the bestseller lists and into cinemas for the next thirty years, The Andromeda Strain didn't retain many surprises for me, but in its own delightful way, reminded me of a science and technology museum exhibit and the docent giving me a tour: "And here we have a pioneering thriller of technolo ...more
Russ
Aug 22, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Scientists
Shelves: 2007, thriller, novel
This book is all about the tension, not the payoff.

As with most entertainment, this book pulls you in by asking some questions. "What is it?" "How does it work?" "What happened?" While those questions are still being asked, this book is a fairly thrilling read.

If you don't like books that get too technical about things, though, this isn't the book for you. It's full of pages from government documents, computer readouts, and the like. That only helps the book go by quicker, because I just skippe
Joe
Dec 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Scientists! Making things happen! Getting called out of their homes in the middle of the night! Rigorously sanitizing every inch of their bodies! Looking over ASCII-image printouts! Performing exhaustive tests! Debating theories of exobiology! And it's a total blast!

Michael Crichton made microorganisms thrilling for the masses by employing science that isn't laughable forty years later. Is it any wonder he set the entertainment industry on fire when he got his hands on dinosaurs?

Worth noting
Heidi
Jan 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of science but also lots of suspense so it was a great balance! Amazing that I never read this one since I seem to have read most of Crichton’s other books.

He certainly had the gift of making science accessible and then taking the next fictional step— whether it be aliens, evolution or some other scientific puzzle.

Now I’m ready for the sequel...
Tom Quinn
I've shared this before and am never hesitant to cop to it: I grew up with an outsized fear of germ warfare. By my youth, the nuclear scare was winding down and just about over so I never feared death by atomic fire from above. But I did fear death from biological agent. Anthrax. Weaponized smallpox. Germ warfare. And I read The Andromeda Strain when I was young, possibly too young. I was in third grade when Jurassic Park hit theaters which led me to Crichton by way of my parents, who checked ou ...more
Terry
Perhaps I'm influenced too much by my nostalgic love of the feel of '70's and '80's sci-fi and horror, but I did enjoy this. I'd watched the old movie many years ago, so there were no surprises, but I enjoyed it anyway. It helps that I read this as a real possible event as well, as I think it's highly possible that it will happen (or has already). Great classic sci-fi, in my opinion.
Apatt
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pre-80s-sf
“Recent theoretical considerations suggest that sterilization procedures of returning space probes may be inadequate to guarantee sterile reentry to this planet's atmosphere. The consequence of this is the potential introduction of virulent organisms into the present terrestrial ecologic framework.”

That quote represents the basic concept of The Andromeda Strain quite well. A more sensational - and rather crude - short description may be “Bacteria from outer space”, but this makes it seems like a
Toby
Aug 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Andromeda Strain, Michael Crichton's contagion procedural, has more in common with Sjowall & Wahloo's Roseanna than anything created by anybody widely associated with the science fiction genre but the biological investigation by Stone, Leavitt et al is most assuredly science fiction and most importantly a fascinating account of how an extraterrestrial bacteria might react to human beings and how human beings might react in return.

It's a methodical, slow burn thriller that's heavy on the scie
Jason Parent
Feb 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure if this book is a 4 or 5, but I think I liked it more on second reading. It is really engaging, heavy on the science, which for the most part, great added to the authenticity of the novel. On rare occasions, (view spoiler), the science is burdensome.

The story is a slow burn, building tension over the c
Erin *Help I’m Reading and I Can’t Get Up*
3 stars. I’m sure in 1969 this was cutting edge, but it doesn’t quite stack up in 2018, either in terms of suspense, science, or inclusivity. This book fails the Bechdel test so hard, it reminds me of why the Bechdel test was invented. The only women I can remember are a switchboard operator, a nurse, and a (literally, I can't make this up) recorded voice that is described as sensual, almost sexy, UNTIL the male hearer realizes it belongs to a woman in her sixties, at which point he presumably l ...more
Michael Jandrok
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yes, it’s nostalgia time again as I once more take a trip down memory lane to rediscover one of the books that I read in my formative years. This installment of “Books That Mike Read As A Kid That Made Him Into the Nerdy Adult He Is Today” is brought to you by Tang, the official drink of the astronauts!

I probably first read “The Andromeda Strain” when I was about 12 years old. I had seen the 1971 movie version of the story several times by then, but I had never tackled the book. But both the mo
Tommy Carlson
I read The Andromeda Strain back in my youth and had fond memories of it. So, I recently grabbed an eBook version to revisit it. I'm not exactly sure from where the fond memories came. It's not that great a book. On the positive side, there are few female characters so Crichton's misogynistic streak is mostly absent, but that's about it.

Dialogue is sparse and flat. Characters aren't much better. Crichton seems more intent on showing off his research than about telling a compelling story. The who
Chad
Nov 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
This was one of the few Crichton novels I hadn't went back and read. With the sequel coming out (The Andomeda Evolution), I decided it was time to go back and read it. This was written 50 years ago being Crichton's first book and you can tell. The book is highly technical. It's well researched using the real science of the time, but it's packed with technical jargon, enough to bog the book down at times. The roots of a great story are there, especially the ending which is thrilling. And I like t ...more
ALLEN
May 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
High-tech suspense novel (1971) has the reputation of "the world's first techno-thriller." A data-gathering satellite crashes outside a tiny remote New Mexico town and before you know it everyone but a wino and a tiny baby are dead. The government sends in a secret crack team to solve the riddle before any possible pathogens can escape and contaminate the population downwind.

THE ANDROMEDA STRAIN was Michael Crichton's first novel and in my opinion it's a fine one: quick and informative, even at
Lauren Stoolfire
I had high expectations for The Andromeda Strain by Michael Crichton. He's written some of my favorite books, and some of my favorite movies as well. Unfortunately, I wasn't as nearly as invested in this as I was hoping to be. The book has no excuse being this boring. I guess I was expecting more of a thriller.
MightyA
Mar 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At least 4.25 stars, IMO. Great story format, superb writing, lots of character developments, yet still interesting enough to keep me on the book the whole time, even the background info of each scientist. To top it off. an excellent audio performance just make the whole experience the more exciting.
Scott Rhee
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
It’s weird to think that a popular best-selling novel from 1969 can still have an impact today, but Michael Crichton’s “The Andromeda Strain” is still a rather frightening, fascinating, and fun read, fifty years later.

Crichton was never a stellar wordsmith. He was a much better thinker than he was a writer, but his gift was in taking the latest in socio-political, scientific thinking and shaping an entertaining story around an idea. Oftentimes, these ideas opened the door for conversations on a
fleurette
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Andromeda Strain

This is not a book of the genre I usually read (that is, I read thrillers but rather not with such strong science fiction elements). The more I am surprised how much I liked it.

What makes this book so good is in my opinion its strong realism. This story does not seem like fiction, but like a report of real events. And that's really something! Ultimately, we have here elements typical for science fiction - contact with an alien form of life from space. This topic is very difficult to classify as
Richard
This was probably one of the first science fiction books I ever read, and so far the only book by Crichton. My rating is based on my reaction over three decades ago -- I seem to recall there were some parts that felt awkward, like they were written by someone trying to leap across the so-called "generation gap". But my teen self loved the book, so it gets the five stars. I have no idea whether I'd still feel as generous if I were to re-read it, but then I seldom re-read books anyway.

The movie wa

• Contact
  • Rendezvous with Rama (Rama, #1)
  • Stranger in a Strange Land
  • Starship Troopers
  • Ringworld (Ringworld, #1)
  • Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (Extraordinary Voyages, #6)
  • 2001: A Space Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #1)
  • The War of the Worlds
  • The Hunt for Red October (Jack Ryan, #3)
  • The Stand
  • I, Robot (Robot, #0.1)
  • Outbreak (Dr. Marissa Blumenthal, #1)
  • Childhood's End
  • The Time Machine
  • Jurassic Park III
  • The Martian Chronicles
  • Dune (Dune, #1)
  • World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
Michael Crichton (1942-2008) was one of the most successful novelists of his generation, admired for his meticulous scientific research and fast-paced narrative. He graduated summa cum laude and earned his MD from Harvard Medical School in 1969. His first novel, Odds On (1966), was written under the pseudonym John Lange and was followed by seven more Lange novels. He also wrote as Michael Doug ...more

Andromeda (2 books)
  • The Andromeda Evolution (Andromeda #2)

Articles featuring this book

Dystopias, alien invasions, regenerated dinosaurs, space operas, multiverses, and more, the realm of science fiction takes readers out of this...
“The rock, for its part, is not even aware of our existence because we are alive for only a brief instant of its lifespan. To it, we are like flashes in the dark.” 36 likes
“Human intelligence was more trouble than it was worth. It was more destructive than creative, more confusing than revealing, more discouraging than satisfying, more spiteful than charitable.” 30 likes