Start by marking “No Such Things” as Want to Read:
No Such Things

No Such Things

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  326 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Describes in rhyme a variety of fantastical creatures such as the blue-snouted Twumps, the pie-faced Pazeeks, and the fancy Fandangos.
Published October 28th 1985 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1983)

To ask other readers questions about No Such Things, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Such Things

Feb 19, 2010 rated it liked it
What I most appreciated about this book were the fantastic, colorful, creative illustrations, and Bill Peet's amazing imagination! I really enjoyed the creativity he had in coming up with all these creatures and how they adapted to their environment.

That said, there really isn't a story throughout the book, nor is there a clear intro or satisfying ending. The rhymes weren't perfect, but they were pretty good overall. Also, some of the characteristics of the creatures have to do with eating (so..
Apr 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kathryn by: Chandra, thank you!
An extremely fun and imaginative collection of creatures and I know I would have totally LOVED this as a kid!!! While Dr. Seuss is still my favorite for fun rhymes and wacky characters, Peet is a close second here. Definitely recommended!
Lisa Vegan
Feb 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Dr. Seuss books and fans of Bill Peet
Recommended to Lisa by: Chandra
These creatures and the rhymes about them very strongly reminded me of Dr. Seuss and I thought they were clever and a great deal of fun. The illustrations are fantastic.
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very clever, lots of great imaginary animals.
Jun 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
I'm a total fan of Bill Peet, but this is a lesser effort. No story, just fanciful creatures and bad poetry. Being a devoted fan, though, I found it interesting to see the "spooky-tailed Tizzy" that is an echo of Prewitt the Peacock (of The Spooky Tail of Prewitt Peacock) and the Skeezaboos that are an echo of Buford (in Buford the Little Bighorn). I admit: you have to be a fan to pay attention to how Peet recycles certain characters. But that's me.
This book is longer than most of the books I read the boys I babysit, but they loved it anyway. Both boys are huge skeptics and not much into making things up from their imagination. But by the end of this book they were both giggling and trying to come up with their own fantastical creatures. I will be buying them a copy for the holidays and buying one for myself as well!
Feb 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
This was an odd book. It was almost like he was trying too hard to be like Dr. Seuss with his descriptions of crazy original creatures and their abilities. My favorites were the colorful narcissistic horses called Fandangoes and the Snoofs, mountain goats whose horns are so long they can use them for skis. Recommended for ages 4-7, 2 1/2 stars.
Sep 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Very Seussian feel in the theme and rhymes. I can't help but notice that several of the characters illustrated are retreads of characters taken from Peet's other stories: Wumps, Prewitt the peacock, and Buford the Bighorn among them.
The Brothers
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: want
I love Bill Peet! I love his very creative creatures and his fun Dr. Suess-like rhymes. A great great book.

The illustrations are fantastic. I think my favorite creatures are the Flubduds because they look so forlorn.
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book might be just perfect for our gloopy stories. It has a bunch of creatures that are made up and just pure nonsense. Just what we're looking for!
Katie W
Apr 12, 2010 rated it liked it
It was fun to see the "creatures" from other Peet books.
Jul 07, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-to-my-kids
this is one of the few Peet books i didn't like
Nov 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-and-ya
The tiny-headed birds!!!! Love it!
Feb 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, age-4
Rhymed. Each spread a different pretend animal. Reminds me of dr. Suess.
Wendy Kuzma
Dec 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book reminds a lot of Dr. Seuss stories with its rhyming text and fantastical creatures.
Maren Prestegaard
Nov 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Bill Peet is starting to be a fav.
Naomi Blackburn
Apr 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
I think to compare this to Dr. Suess is a stretch. The best thing about this book was the illustrations.
Very cute and in a style much like Dr Seuss including the couplet rhyming pattern and pictures. All around a fun kids read.
May 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-books-read
This book reminds you of the imaginary animals that Dr. Seuss created, with colorful renderings of these animals.
May 15, 2014
  • A Stick Is an Excellent Thing: Poems Celebrating Outdoor Play
  • There Goes Ted Williams: The Greatest Hitter Who Ever Lived
  • Harold's Fairy Tale
  • Tom's Tweet
Bill Peet was an American children's book illustrator and a story writer for Disney Studios. He joined Disney in 1937 and worked on The Jungle Book, Song of the South, Cinderella, One Hundred and One Dalmatians, The Sword in the Stone, Goliath II, Sleeping Beauty, Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, Dumbo, Pinocchio, Fantasia, The Three Caballeros, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and other stories.

More about Bill Peet...