Start by marking “Unbroken (Ruined, #2)” as Want to Read:
Unbroken (Ruined, #2)

Unbroken

(Ruined #2)

Welcome back to New Orleans.
Where the streets swirl with jazz and beauty.
Where the houses breathe with ghosts.

A year ago, Rebecca Brown escaped death in a New Orleans cemetery. Now she has returned to this haunting city. She is looking forward to seeing Anton Grey, the boy who may or may not have her heart.

But she also meets a ghost: a troubled boy who insists only she can
Published February 1st 2013 by Scholastic Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Unbroken, please sign up.
Sara Altiner well I recommend you read the previous novel ruined if u haven't already but its about a girl named Rebecca who goes back to New Orleans for spring…morewell I recommend you read the previous novel ruined if u haven't already but its about a girl named Rebecca who goes back to New Orleans for spring break after living there temporarily living there I do not want to give away to much because I don't know if you have read ruined another ghost asked Rebecca for help how ever her visit is temporary I hope this helped you somewhat you should really read it :) (less)

Becky
Jun 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
WHAT THE FLIP???!!! I did not know she was writing a sequel to Ruined! Oh my freaking God, I am spazing out right now! I know the books arn't that long, but theyre so damn good! I need this book!
UPDATE:
That was great! I live in Louisiana and I visit New Orleans very often, so it's great when you can read something and visualize its settings so vividly. The rich history went even deeper and broader, expanding to well known history instead of pertaining to heritage of New Orleans alone. I find Reb
Wendy Liu
Jul 06, 2012 marked it as to-read
Oh. My. GOD.

*explodes with happiness*
I cried on the first book(softy) and I could believe it ended :O
And now...*explodes again* *does a dance*
I can't wait!
Chloe
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was good. It got a little boring at times, but other than that I really enjoyed it and its use of vocabulary.
Be
Jul 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
Since I'm a huge fan of Ruined , I thought it was worth it to give Unbroken a try. The story starts with Rebecca's visit back to New Orleans, this time with her father and best friend Ling. Although Rebecca is prepared to forget all about her supernatural adventures, she meets a ghost with an unfinished deed, and she's once again part of another paranormal adventure.

I miss Lisette! I thought Lisette's story was a lot more interesting...it was hard for me to be really engaged in this plot. I f
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
The sequel to Ruined. A year has passed since the events in Ruined, and Rebecca is back in New York City living with her dad, going to school, and hanging out with her BFF Ling. Rebecca's dad has business in New Orleans, so he plans to rent a house there and would like Rebecca and Ling to join him during his business trip, which coincides with their spring break. It's been awhile since Rebecca has seen Anton, and it feels like their relationship has cooled off, since they hardly see each other, ...more
Kitkat
Nov 26, 2017 added it
I hate this book sorry you guys! I just never liked it.
Katie
Sep 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Getting back to business.

Rebecca had a hectic year after finding out after escaping a near death in a New Orleans Cemetery. Returning wasn’t her first choice, but she is hoping to see the one boy she can’t help thinking about Anton. Helping a ghost or two is apparently in the cards as well, much to her dismay.

The setting was perfect for the mysterious vibe that this story gives off and I was glad to return to it in the sequel. I love how everything is set up in “Unbroken” and that we get to figu
Trista Jacie
I can not wait for this book to come out!! I'm anxious to see what trials Rebecca faces next and what happens with her dad, aunt, cousin, and most especially Anton!
Autumn
It was quite repetitive. You literally could start at page 288 and save yourself the boredom.

~@Autumn_Waves
Olivia
May 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
I finally finished it, after 3 months.....

I read this solely because I was obsessed with Ruined when I was younger and was so excited when I found out that there was a sequel. I should not have been excited.

Although I'm almost positive I would have loved this if I would have read this when I first read Ruined I did not enjoy it as much as I thought I would, since I am now 21.

The plot was slow and boring and the characters were nothing spectacular. The story was less than 300 pages but it felt l
Toni Garcia
May 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Cute read
Heather
Feb 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Once again Paula Morris has ghost seeing Rebecca in New Orleans now in the French Quarter for a week with her best friend, Ling, from New York City for Spring Break. The problem is she's seeing a ghost or ghosts again and one in particular needs her help. I loved Ruined Morris' first novel set in New Orleans and was hoping for more of the same, but this one just didn't quite live up to my expectations. At least part of it didn't.

The story starts in New York City, that's where Rebecca first sees
Greta
Sep 04, 2012 rated it liked it
2.5 rounded to 3
Rebecca has returned to New Orleans for Spring Break with her father and her best friend Ling. before she can even enjoy the city, she meets Frank, a ghost who needs her help. She also learns from Anton that Tobey is out for revenge. She's on a mission to put a ghost to rest, keep herself and her family safe, and to reconnect with Anton.

Likes
-The sense of setting is great. This author really knows New Orleans, and she shares her love of the city and it's unique culture. I actual
C.
Like the first book~ Ruined:A Novel, this second book was a 5-star read for me.

From School Library Journal
Gr 8 Up-In this sequel to Ruined (Scholastic, 2009), Rebecca is back in New York maintaining a long-distance relationship with Anton; hanging out with her best friend, Ling; and trying to put last year's horrors in New Orleans behind her. But the ghosts can't seem to leave her alone. She soon learns that she is the only one who can see Frank, and he begs Rebecca to help him find a lost locke
Kerstin Castillo
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
In this book Unbroken , it has to an end with my favorite series . Rebecca is returning to Orleans , which I think is kind of odd since her last trip didn't end to well. She meets a new ghost , Frank ,which is strange but cool since i mean she is the only person who can see ghost . Once she meets him at first back in New York it really caught me off guard since no ghost has been as desperate for help as much as Frank . But honestly can she really trust him ? He may seem creepy at first but when ...more
Paula  Phillips
Feb 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
After a disastrous year in New Orleans - The French Quarter where Rebecca Brown discovered a lot of hidden secrets , one secret was so big that at first she was terrified as Rebecca can see ghosts. The second secret was finding out that she was in fact part of the Bowman family and that a curse was upon her and that either her or her cousin in order for the curse to be broken had to die. Fleeing from New Orleans, Rebecca has been living in New York for the past year and now it's time to head bac ...more
Teresa Barrera
Oct 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed Unbroken. I liked it better than the first book, Ruined. The detail was just right and the plot was captivating. I held my breath in parts and when you thought you knew what was going to happen, it surprised you with something else. I felt more connected with the characters than I did before and I absolutely loved how the end came together. This book is haunting, brings mystery, adventure & brings you the magic of the south. I hope the author writes another book to add to th ...more
☆☆Hannah☆☆
Feb 06, 2015 rated it liked it
This was a quick read which is always nice. Rebecca comes back to New Orleans but this time with her good friend Ling. Yet again when she shows up all the people she had to deal with were terrible to her because apparently they all like to hold a grudge. Like in the last book she is confronted by a ghost who asks for her help. Although this time she has some help from her friend and cousin.
Bre
Dec 31, 2012 rated it liked it
"Unbroken" wasn't nearly as good as "Ruined", in fact I could have done without this second installment. While there was still a creepiness factor to the story, it was missing the magical element of the first book. I was excited when I discovered that the setting was once again New Orleans, which I still desperately want to visit someday. Overall "Unbroken" is good, but not great.
Steve Altier
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love Paula Morris writing style. Her stories are well thought out and flow like a river. I almost enjoyed this as much as the first book. I said almost.
Daphne

Well dang, this book, like its predecessor, is nothing if not a 300 page advertisement for New Orleans.

Liked:
Delphine, "the girl in the gallery"--a specific scene actually made me teary eyed. And she wasn't even really a character!
Ling--a cutie.
Raf and co.--also cuties
General spookiness
The ending...very bi
Alexa
Apr 12, 2019 rated it did not like it
After reading the first book I was disappointed. After reading the sequel I was confused. Why was there even a second book? The first book wasn't great, but it did wrap up nicely at the end. Then there was this book where Anton is just still in love with Rebecca and Rebecca loves him but they also can't hold a conversation without arguing, but then guess what? They randomly kiss like three times for no reason. Also Rebecca seems to have no time to spend with her cousin Aurelia, which btw was her ...more
RumBelle
Oct 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ghost-stories
This was a rare feat, a sequel more detailed, advanced, interesting and entertaining than its predecessor. Rebecca, the young woman who can see ghosts is back in New Orleans with her dad, and best friend Ling. The spirits still seek her out though, in this case it is the ghost of a young boy named Frank. He needs her help to find a locket that was intimately connected to his life. Once Rebecca to help, the story becomes so multilayered and fascinating. From the history in New Orleans, to Frank's ...more
Lacee
Feb 28, 2017 rated it liked it
I absolutely loved Ruined and I finally got around to reading Unbroken. I wish I could say this was a sequel that didn't require reading the first, but I feel like there would be a ton of missing or confusing links if the first is skipped over. Please, do not read this one before reading Ruined.

That said, let's start with the good. I was super happy to be back in New Orleans again. I think it's a place that's important to Rebecca and who she is as a person. I loved the new characters introduced
Nachiga Hidecoyama
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I think that the book is very good because of the amount of suspense that the book puts out and the generalization of the book's origin is good. One other thing I would like to say is the book is not so informal if you haven't read the first book Ruined. Some other thing that I would like to say is the books equal balance of surprise and mystery is good it just needs a little bit more romance just to even out the factors a bit more. To end my review I would like to say, don't make the mistake of ...more
Jai Rahim
Jun 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Taylor Holt
Nov 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Having loved RUINED, I wanted to love Unbroken as well. While it had all of the ambience and local New Orleans flavor, I found myself ahead of the story almost throughout. Morris' predictable story didn't stop me from reading, but I wish it had delved deeper into Frank's backstory (and maybe Toby's motivations).
The Forgotten  Bookshelf
It's been an interesting read, at times I'm completely pulled into the story and then BAM back to a boring chapter.
My daughter and I are Buddy reading a bunch of her books that we are just now able to get too because of a move. I think if I was younger and spoiled on adult Thrillers then this would be a perfect October read....my daughter loved it!
Bushra
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This felt like a new story with the same characters rather than a continuation. I liked the new ghost and his story it wasnt as good as the first one but I liked how new characters were brought. Thank God I didnt have to read about mean school girls again.
Amara Burdess
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved Morris' first book, Ruined, and was really hoping this book would be similar. I was not disappointed! There is an equal amount of New Orleans history and ghost/thriller, which really makes me want to revisit New Orleans and look into the history behind some of the folklore.

• Shadow Mirror (Walk, #2)
  • The Dead and Buried
  • Spirit and Dust (Goodnight Family #2)
  • Elegy (Hereafter #3)
  • Heart of Glass (Cross My Heart, #2)
  • The Random House Book of Ghost Stories
  • Rebel Spirits
  • Deep Betrayal (Lies Beneath, #2)
  • Storm (Swipe #3)
  • The Archived SNEAK PEEK (The Archived, #1)
  • I Hate Picture Books!
  • Destiny (Immortal, #4)
  • As Dead As It Gets (Bad Girls Don't Die, #3)
  • The Hidden World
  • Phoenix (Beautiful Dead, #4)
  • Blurred (Kissed by Death, #2)
  • Spookygirl
  • Permanent Record
Paula Morris, a novelist and short story writer of English and Maori descent, was born in New Zealand. For almost a decade she worked in the record business in London and New York. She now lives in New Orleans, where she teaches creative writing at Tulane University.

Paula's first novel, Queen of Beauty, won best first work of fiction at the 2003 Montana New Zealand Book Awards. Hibiscus Coast, a l

Ruined (2 books)
  • Ruined (Ruined, #1)
“Memories, made to last forever<3” 14 likes
“That was the way it was in New Orleans, and in every old haunted city across the world. Ghosts vanished, and new ghosts arrived to take their place. Things changed. Things stayed the same.” 11 likes