Start by marking “Luminosity (Luminosity, #1)” as Want to Read:
Luminosity (Luminosity, #1)

Read Book

Luminosity (Luminosity #1)

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  324 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
The history and character of the Twilight world are intact in Luminosity up to the point where the story begins, with one exception: Bella's a rational self-awareness-junkie with a penchant for writing down everything that crosses her mind in a notebook. She maintains many of the traits and dispositions of canon - and Luminosity is a Bella/Edward story - but she's a distin ...more
Published July 13th 2010 by Self-published

To ask other readers questions about Luminosity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Luminosity

Katy
Jul 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
For all her flaws, particularly her habit of ruining other people's lives, I absolutely adore this incarnation of Bella. She's an interesting, engaging narrator and reading her words doesn't make me look down on her, it makes me appreciate the intelligence that never shone in the original series. I loved how she dealt with James - not so much with the Volturi, but we got there in the end - and after Luminosity and Radiance I don't think I'll be able to go back to Twilight.

I don't think this shou
GVR
Jul 08, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fanfic
I had such strong and unexpected opinions about the first twenty thousand words of Luminosity, I decided to review that first 20K, even though I gave up at that point and have not read any further.

The basic premise of Luminosity is that it's a re-imagining of Twilight, except instead of being judgmental, overly emotional, and careless with her well-being, Bella is rational and well adjusted. This sounds like something I would love, both as a long-time feminist and as someone who can be a bit hyp
Ben Pace
Aug 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
HpMoR is Eliezer Yudkowsky's Rationalist Fiction, and Luminosity is Alicorn's. There is much less emphasis on the teaching of rationality here, although still some useful hints and tips of a more practical nature than HpMoR, but this adaptation is still way above the level of most fiction. It doesn't feel like a natural ending, but perhaps the story is just very realistic. Things do go wrong, and plots really easily don't work. I'll be reading the sequel soon.
Eneya Vorodecky
Jul 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: humor, fanfiction
This is surprisingly good.
I can't believe it but it is the ultimate proof that the "Twilight" could have been readable... if it was written by someone who was more intelligent than a garden variety stone.

This is a fanfiction based on the Twilight series books. I am so not going to call it "saga" because that word doesn't mean what the author thinks it means.

This interests me deeply because I love reading books and I have some observations about our culture and how it treats and views its authors
Jason Kleinberg
Jan 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really couldn't put this book down once it got going, which is basically where it departs from the cannon story. While there is a LOT of bad fanfiction, this is a rare exception. It's much better written than the cannon story, with characters that are richer, and more real, yet true to original , other than Bella who instead of merely being a passive one-dimensional plot device, is a well-rounded strong protagonist.
Irene
What the hell did I just read??!!
More to the point, what have all other reviewers been reading??!!

I'm as little a fan of the original works as most around here, and I did appreciate the first few chapters, where Bella finally grows a backbone and exhibits some critical thinking. But once the story diverges from the original path... damn, was this an awful trainwreck!!

SMeyer's Bella has no personality, no preference, no independence of thought, and nothing making her even remotely interesting. He
David Rutter
Jan 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I've never read the canon series, but I can infer enough from the Wikipedia synopsis and the excerpts I've heard to guess that this fanfic is far better written and more interesting. Furthermore, I'd guess that it downplays to a large extent the subject of love and romance, focusing more heavily on the aspect of personal choice. This is not surprising, considering it is written by a member of the Bayesian Conspiracy with the intention of illustrating concepts of rational introspection and decisi ...more
Adam Smith
Jun 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fanfiction
Bella Swan is a quick-witted rationalist with an obsession with critical thinking. When she moves to the small town of Forks, she begins noticing strange things about a certain family in town. Their eyes change colour, they don't seem to eat, and they never appear in daylight. The Cullens are hiding something big. It's not long before Bella finds herself engulfed in a world of vampires and danger, and she has only one goal. She's going to take it over.

Twilight as a series was readable, but a far
Kalibaatje
Jul 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Started out really well, but got tired of Bella's know-it-all attitude after a while. For being so 'rational', she sure has some mayor irrational thoughts too. The farther into the book the more egoistic she became -while still thinking of herself as being a world saviour-. Narcissist might not be a bad description of Alicorns Bella.
Turning people into vampires left and right and wanting to turn everyone who's willing... with the rate she alone is sucking dry killer whales and other animals, th
Ankit
Dec 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very well written reinterpretation of a modern trainwreck of a novel series. Unlike source material (with which I have the misfortune of being acquainted) the protagonist has brains, tries to make sense of the Twilight universe rationally and even though her grand plans for HPMOR style world optimization don't pan out, it seems like a natural consequence of 'experiment gone terribly wrong due to certain (un?)foreseeable oversights'. Some phenomena from the original are explained via evolutionary ...more
Yasiru (reviews will soon be removed and linked to blog)
Finally took the plunge and tried this in spite of my disdain for the source material (unlike the case with HPMOR). Bella here could certainly be said to be an improvement over the original, but being rational for her too often involves belabouring the obvious and her sense of righteous entitlement ensures that she's never quite the final agent she imagines herself to be in the workings of power, such as they are. HPMOR's Harry exhibits a similar attitude, but the setting there allows him enough ...more
Rita C
Jul 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
The Bella in this version is more rational, but she comes across as almost robot-like. She also comes across as a kind of Super-Intelligent MarySue with entitlement issues. She gets so many people hurt or killed by the end of this book, and causes so much emotional destruction from her choices. It's just painful.

For all the many flaws of the original books, they were somewhat more upbeat in tone. So this book is am improvement in the technical writing ability and in erasing some the more obvious
Brian Finifter
Mar 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
Well that was certainly a ballsy way to go with the ending, but I'm not sure what the point of telling that story was.
Cassiereads
Apr 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable and clever take on Twilight.
Dominique
Aug 24, 2017 rated it liked it
**SPOILER WARNING**
I'm not a whiz at the whole Goodreads formatting thing, but I did try, so I'm sorry if I accidentally spoil anything.

T-Bella = Twilight Bella (as in the one written by Steph)
L-Bella = Luminosity's Bella
(just so that we don't get confused)

I honestly thought that I would enjoy this more than I did.

The only reason that this is getting 3 stars is because the premise was good (in the beginning), the writing wasn't as terrible as it could have been, and the weird sh*t Bella got up
Betawolf
Jun 30, 2017 rated it liked it

_Luminosity_ is a re-imagining of the _Twilight_ series, which is a class of work which I never expected to read. Given that I've never read _Twilight_ itself, it's something of an odd thing to pick up, but I reached it via a chain of odd recommendations which led me first to the still-unfinished _Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality_ and then on into other rationalist takes on popular culture.

As with other items from this genre, _Luminosity_ replaces the main character with a more intro
Yulia
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fanfiction
Now, it pains me to say I have a bit of a weakness for Twilight. I know it's not a good book, neither stylistically nor when it comes to its values - but I'm a sucker for teen stories and that's what it is, at the core. Just a fun American high school paranormal romance. Still, I always quit reading somewhere before the last third. The more intense the relationship gets, the more abusive it becomes and I'm really not interested in how Meyer deals with adventure plots. Still, I will never lose th ...more
Jessica
Jul 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Three stars feels too low. Four feels a bit too high. Let's call it 3.75 stars.

TWILIGHT BACKGROUND

I'm rather fascinated with Twilight (stay with me, I'm not a Twihard) and my reaction to it. When the series first came out, both my husband and I were able to become completely engrossed in the novels, despite the flaws in plot, character, prose etc -- in fact I wasn't really aware of them during my first read-through, though some things stood out for sure.

Being an analytical sort, this ability t
Asviloka
Dec 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Slow build up, didn't really care too much about what was happening, but it was interesting enough to keep going and I've heard book two is better so I'm going to finish.
Zcat
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Warning: cliffhanger! I loved the story up until the honeymoon. After that her decisions felt a little out of character for how rational she was supposed to be, and the story started dragging.
Lilamedusa
Nov 05, 2015 rated it liked it
I was not surprised by liking this fanfic/book. I've heard a lot about it before hand and it sounded awesome. I devoured it as I devour almost everything I read.

I, however, am not in love with it.

First, I strongly disliked Bella. I'm willing to admit some of it is that I'm simply not used to characters like her, she knows what she wants and she goes after it, and that is, potentially a good thing, but I didn't like it. So maybe part of it is ingrained social conditioning that won't let me act
Lorraine
Jul 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Twilight with common sense, I like. I started reading this after I finished Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality.

In this retelling of Twlight, Bella is bestowed upon the gift of common sense and rather good planning skills. This also comes with a distinct personality and combined with a love of life in general (which parallels Harry in the above-mentioned HPMOR), makes for much interesting character than canon Bella. It was entirely entertaining how Bella manages to thwart plans and conv
Suhrob
Jul 03, 2016 rated it liked it
This might come of as a backhand compliment, but I really mean it: I was delightfully surprised how un-annoying this was.

The premise of the book is that Bela is rational, and what's more important a sort of "introspection expert": she closely examines here preferences and beliefs, closely monitors the motivations for having them and re-evaluates everything in the face of the facts.

So you are in for a copious amount of self-serious navel gazing. But as I said - I was surprised to enjoy it for the
Eric Herboso
Aug 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
In this retelling of the Twilight story, Bella is decidedly not an idiot. The resulting story is nothing short of amazing. This is fanfiction at its best.

I first read Stephanie Meyer's Twilight because I had a teenage sister at the time, and wanted to read what she was so excited about. It was a wonderful tale and I thoroughly enjoyed it, despite its glorification of anti-feminism. Like Rand's Atlas Shrugged or Card's Ender's Game, I am well aware that a book can be good fiction even when it esp
Shayan Kh
Sep 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars to be honest.
This was really good! I somewhat expected a better attempt at rationality, because I read in the reviews that it is similar to Yudkowsky's HPMoR. It wasn't. But it was a better book overall. I had mixed feelings towards HPMoR, it wasn't really fun to read, specially if the main character is unnecessarily bad to your favorite characters of the original books. But in Luminosity, things are much more fun than the original book! Granted, there is much less character developme
Shriya Sriram
Jul 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Holy. I was just so, so blown away by this one. Honestly, the best twilight fanfic I've ever read. It started out being pretty draggy, especially when Alicorn was still setting up the elements of the world and Bella's thinking process.

But once it hit the climax, wow. Just wow. I really don't have any words to describe it other than that, but it got really dark really fast. And well, this author is really willing to go places that Stephenie Meyer wasn't willing to.

Also, the way it ended on that
Jenny
What did I like?
- The first couple of chapters
- The author's imagination

What did I not like?
- That it was so obvious that the plot was the author's idea of how the Twilight series should have ideally played out.
- That Bella was such a Mary Sue character
- That all the other characters lost a lot of personality
- That there was NO reason for Bella to start hanging out with Edward. She just did and all of a sudden she agreed to pretend they were in a relationship. Why??? Where did the make any sens
Valerie
Jul 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
You know, I think I like this fan fiction better than I do the Twilight books. If anything, it's at least a close tie. However, I find this book to be slightly more believable. I also love (I'm half sarcastic, half not) the big cliffhanger at the end. When I read what had happened my thoughts consisted of "WTH" and "This has to be fake, right?"

At this point, I won't say anymore. Only that as soon as I finished this book I "picked up" (I guess "clicking on" is more accurate) the sequel.
Ariqua
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: own-ebook
I hate this Bella.

I hated the original stupid, useless Bella, but this Bella is a pretentious know-it-all.

Regardless of the vampire-soul debate, she has no soul, human or vampire.

She is completely detached from reality. What she believes and can justify with her reasoning are obviously the best way, and only reasonable way to do things and must be forced on everyone.

I wanted to throttle her the entire book.

Also, (*kind of spoiler*) those deaths better not be real because they are so not okay.
Pastafarianist
Oct 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
The first half or so of the book is a poorly-concealed manual on self-awareness, which is awesome. The second half is less so: there's a lot of action/adventure going on, lots of artificially-induced panic and a bit of (view spoiler) stuff. Still, up until (view spoiler) it felt like one of the smartest pieces of fiction I've ever read.

Also, by the end I hated the word "murmur".
  • The Survivors (The Survivors, #1)
  • Ra
  • The Opal Deception: The Graphic Novel (Artemis Fowl: The Graphic Novels, #4)
  • Draco Dormiens (Draco Trilogy, #1)
  • Three Worlds Collide
  • The Iron Queen (Daughters of Zeus, #3)
  • Detours (Other Places, #3)
  • Trial of the Clone: An Interactive Adventure!
  • Little Darlings
  • Unforgotten
  • Ignite (Project Integrate, #0.5)
  • The Savage
  • The 13th Sign
  • Worm
  • Back and Deader Than Ever (Monster High, #4)
  • The Yearbook Committee
  • Mother of Learning
  • Demon's Doorway (Damned and Cursed, #4)

Luminosity (3 books)
  • Radiance (Luminosity, #2)
  • Flashes (Luminosity, #2.5)