Start by marking “The Mine” as Want to Read:
The Mine

The Mine

3.29  ·  Rating details ·  557 Ratings  ·  96 Reviews
At a secret mining facility somewhere in the deserts of Rajasthan, an ancient place of worship, with disturbing carvings on its dome, is discovered buried deep inside the earth. Soon the miners find themselves in the grip of terrifying waking nightmares. One tries to mutilate himself. Worse follows.

Five experts are called in to investigate these strange occurrences. Sucked
Published January 2012 by Westland

To ask other readers questions about The Mine, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Arun Divakar
Mar 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
A good majority of people who read or watch movies are fascinated by a group of people getting trapped in a seemingly unsurmountable set of obstacles. The setting could be anywhere : haunted houses, jungles, isolated islands and they could facing off against killer(s), monsters or forces of nature. Throughout the ordeal, members of the group give up their ghosts and the survivors leave the stage with a new perspective on life. This thread is so common that its extremely difficult to find the wor ...more
Namitha Varma
Nov 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
When I began reading, I found the story very gruesome. I couldn't read more than 10-20 pages at a time. But as the story progressed, it got less revolting, because my mind got used to it, and I simply stopped putting imagery into the words.

Despite that, it was a difficult read. I like books with shades of grey, where people are both good and bad, where situations can swing either way. I am a cynic and do not believe that people are good by nature, but digesting so much hatred and manipulation a
Abhiram Viswamitra
Feb 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
A good thriller from Arnab Ray. Quite cinematic and fast paced, this book is loosely based on the thriller Saw series. The book ends on an open note and you are left to imagine the different possibilities as to what could have happened, and how it has happened.

Read this if you have a lazy weekend and nothing much to do.
Sakthidharan
Mar 27, 2012 rated it did not like it
What do you think you are doing? I asked this very question when I started reading this. I know that I happen to read a cheap flick every now then; this book is no different. It is a high flying, super duper pow, worst of its kind.

I came to know that if I am a intelligent scientist, I would probably also be a sex addict. And I also came to understand that sex is the only thing that I would remember when I think of something that I did wrong. And if I think there is a guy who is under control,
D
Jul 22, 2012 rated it really liked it

Loved it. Never expected this kind of book from an Indian author. Not that I don't read Indian authors. They write really well but revolves usually around love stories etc the ones we usually refer to as light read. This one is a bit disturbing but overall nice.
Upasna
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really dont know what to say. All i know is this story will occupy my brain for a good time now! 😕
Amit Si
Mar 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
None of your actions : muted in secrecy or invisible in chaos ever goes unnoticed. We have known this for decades through our parents and theirs. "The Mine" by the Greatbong dramatizes the thought .... and what a dramatization has it been !

The story follows the philosophical learning of the protagonist : an ex-spy Samar Bose who is desperately searching for his daughter. He and a couple of other well skilled individuals, each carrying a dark baggage from his/her past are lured into a secret mini
Devarsh
Jun 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This blog is about movie reviews, and would continue to be. But I just had to write a small review about this book.

I picked this book luck by chance waiting for someone at the Landmark Book store. I was drawn to its particularly grotesque and vibrant cover with an unconventional title for an Indian author. I thought I’d humor myself and read a few pages till my friend came along. I ended up reading the first 20 pages and was instantly hooked on to the plot.

The Mine follows 5 individuals through
Sneh Pradhan
Mar 26, 2014 rated it did not like it
Having heard glowing reviews of this book by Arnab Ray , whose other book May I Hebb your Attention pliss , I really loved , I had high expectations here .... This book , however just reads like a cheap , uninspired Bollywood rip-off of the Saw films franchise , with a generous dose of sleaze thrown in for good measure ......... It has none of the shockers , ingenuity and philosophical base that the films rather had........ I'll chose a 2-hr Saw film any day ,over this 587-page of a time-waster.
Sandeep Nargund
Feb 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
Started reading this after seeing some rave reviews and a lot of buzz about the book. However, after finishing it, was not too impressed by the ending and the overall story as such.
  • Bombay Duck Is A Fish
  • Gods Of War
  • All Roads Lead To Ganga
  • Amreekandesi - Masters of America
  • The Zoya Factor
  • Khushwant Singh Selects Best Indian Short Stories.
  • God Save the Dork (Dork Trilogy, #2)
  • The Tenth Unknown
  • Breathless in Bombay
  • The Heart of India
  • Urban Shots
Arnab Ray, better known as Greatbong, is one of India's most widely read bloggers who blogs at Random Thoughts Of A Demented Mind. He is known for his sarcastic takes on the Indian film industry, Indian politics and society in general. His blog was awarded the "Indiblog of the Year" at Indibloggies in 2006[1] and 2008. He has written for several media outlets like the Washington Post, Outlook maga ...more
More about Arnab Ray...