Start by marking “Hard Mated (Shifters Unbound, #3.5)” as Want to Read:
Hard Mated (Shifters Unbound, #3.5)

Hard Mated (Shifters Unbound #3.5)

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  6,233 Ratings  ·  316 Reviews
A short novel of the Shifters Unbound series. Spike, a wildcat Shifter and the champion fighter of Shiftertown, is stunned when Myka, the best friend of a dying human woman, announces that Spike has fathered a cub. What's more, the mother is giving the boy to Spike to protect and raise.

Published August 20th 2012 by JA / AG Publishing (first published August 19th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Hard Mated, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hard Mated

Jen
This was a quick read...it is book 3.5 in the series and even though it was short it still had lots of action, love, friendship, and sex! Jennifer Ashley continues to hold me captivated with this series. This novella takes us back to the shifter town where the Morrisey family rules.

In this story, we have Spike who is a tattooed shifter who fights in an illegal shifter club. He also is a tracker; but one day a lady finds him and reveals a surprise to him that will change his life forever. The mes
Jennifer Ashley
Jan 14, 2012 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Spike's story. Now out!! (Aug 20) Print to follow.
Ingela
Written April 14, 2014

3.3 Stars - a cute story about to be a father suddenly and as an added high-profit in the lottery of life, also find a lovely female mate

It was time for a in between book, Hard Mated, part #3.5 in the Shifters Unboand series, one of my favorite m/f PNR series by a favorite author, Jennifer Ashley.

I enjoyed as usual these amazing cuddly shifters.
This time it was about a male big cat shifter. A lonely jaguar who met a human woman and got a son. ~ Something that he real
Erika
DNF 25%

Spike is a total manwhore, fondly remembering sex with OW and how gorgeous she was. No chemistry between this couple at all yet at the 25% point. Spike thinks she is attractive but then again, he finds every woman cute or a possible potential partner for sex. No word on Myka's sexual past but wouldn't be surprised if she was a virgin or very inexperienced.

Most of the first 25% hasn't even involved the couple anyway. It has been about Spike's son and other characters interacting with Spik
Ana
Jan 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A great addition to a remarkable series!

Spike is a jaguar tracker for the shifter clan. He is also a champion fighter. His entire world changes when he learns that he has a son. Suddenly, there's a 4 year old boy who needs his dad. Luckily he has help, in form of Jordan's honorary aunt, Myka.
[image error]

Myka doesn't want to get involved with the shifter. She is content with her life, barring the loneliness. But meeting Spike (Eron) finding out about the man he is, it changes things.

I like Ero
Laura the Highland Hussy
Aug 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Review posted on Got Fiction?

Know what I love about Jennifer Ashley's stories? No two heroes are alike. Spike is different than any other shifter yet.

Spike was Fergus' tracker (old leader of San Antonio Shiftertown, and all-around bad guy). He is Liam's tracker now, and this is his story.

Spike is thrust into role of father of an unruly 4 year old cub after the mother dies. The mother was a human shifter groupie who he’d had one night with, but it’s her friend Myka who wants to take custody of li
Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures)
5 Stars ~ Hard Mated (Shifters Unbound #3.5) by Jennifer Ashley

Every since book one Pride Mates I have been waiting for Spikes story. I really wanted him to get a full length book, but Hard Mated turned out wonderful and I’m happy with the novel. I love the Shifters Unbound sereis by Jennifer Ashley. She makes you want to have a big tuff loving shifter of your own.
I also read Hard Mated as part of the Dark and Dangerous, Six-in-One Hot Paranormal Romances Boxed Set.

Spike, a wildcat Shifter an
Gina
Jan 21, 2013 rated it really liked it

Another short and fun read in the Shifter Unbound series for me. This was Spike’s story, he is a wildcat shifter and a tracker for Liam the Austin Shiftertown leader (Liam....Oh Liam). In walks Mykka into his life with stunning news that his one night stand and her best friend Jillian had his cub. Jillian is also dying of cancer.

Spike is overwhelmed and overjoyed to have a cub, and sets about making a home for him. Spike knows nothing about raising a baby and looks to Mykka for help. So there r
Mariann {at} Belle's Book Bag
Aug 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-favorites
Jennifer Ashley is one of my favorite authors and Shifters Unbound is one of my favorite series from her. I forgot how much I love this series until I started reading Hard Mated. Sexy Tattooed Spike *sigh* Liam *sigh* Sean *sigh* Ronan *sigh* I love Spike and Myka together!! I really enjoyed this book and I loved the story line!! So good. I got to catch up with all my favorite characters again and can't wait for Eric's book next. Such a great read and I hope that Jennifer continues with this ser ...more
Sophia Triad
Apr 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Spike is a tattooed guy who likes fighting at an illegal fight club and Myka is the girl who meets after one of his fights and falls in love with.

This would have been a simple love story. But Spike happens to be a jaguar shifter and the night he meets Myka he also discovers that he has a four years old son. This makes things a bit complicated.

This is the story of Spike, his son Jordan and his sweetheart Myka and how they become family.

The book also describes internal power fights for the shifte
Jacqueline
Nice addition to the series. I wish it had been longer and the relationship could have been filled out much more for our enjoyment. I really liked the hero who everyone thought was just a big thug but the heroine saw through immediately. I do think that if you haven't read any of the others in the series you would be pretty lost here.
Melindeeloo
Aug 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Tracker for the Austin Shiftertown, Jaguar shifter Spike works hard to keep his killer instincts in check, but he is going to give full rein to his protective ones when he discovers that he has a cub and now that he's finally met the woman that he wants to claim for his very own.

HARD MATED was really enjoyable shifter romance that works amazingly well in the short space - since both of the characters are great and are great together. I liked the fact that both Spike and Myka have a common core o
Keri
Mar 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Spike is cat shifter who is Liam's tracker and inherited from the prior regime. He is also a shifter fight club champion. So you are thinking all brawn and tatt'ed up muscle and no brain, but you would be wrong. Eron(Spike)just won another fight when he is approached by a pretty human telling him that he must come with her that a friend is dying and she wants to talk to him. He is curious of course and goes with her. Come to find out he had a one night stand with Joanne and turns out he is the b ...more
Tanya Davis
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm not sure how this novella got overlooked when writing my reviews as it was one of my favorites!

Spike is one of the tough trackers for the Shiftertown. He is on his own and his life is tracking and fighting at the fight clubs. When he is called to a dying woman's bedside he gets the surprise of a lifetime. He's a daddy! He instantly goes into protective mode and accepts that cub into his life. Myka, the cub's mother's best friend is leery of Spike's ability to be a father, so she decides to w
Anna's Herding Cats

Reviewed for herding cats & burning soup. (posting to blog 10/8/18)
Amazon: https://amzn.to/2GFCJh5

The Gist: Finding out you have a 4 year old and you're now the only parent? Well, that's life changing and Spike's gonna have to learn to juggle parenthood and being the town's Tracker.

Hard Mated was fun. I enjoyed Spike and Myka (his baby mama's best friend) and seeing them for an aliance and tackle raising a little boy. They're both easy to like and made a good team. His little cub was precoc
The Book Junkie Reads . . .
Okay, I got a little carried away and did not exactly read this one in order but I wanted Spike. I kept hearing Spike this Spike that. I wanted him now.

Myka had something that would change Spikes world forever. She just didn't know just how much it would change her world also.

This was a quick read that gave me a friendship go awry, ex-bedmates, destine mate, wild tots, sexy cats, and a passion that could not be leashed.
Julie Ramsey
Sep 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: done
In a world were shifters are real. They have been placed in shifter communities and feared by normals. The shifters are treated like second class citizens. Not as many rights, quick to jail and punish. There are people who follow the shifters to bars as almost groupies. Jillian was someone drawn to the shifters. Several years ago she had a one night stand with a shifter named Spike. Spike is an enforcer of the Austin, TX shifter town. He does what his Alpha says, a tracker and a fighter. He is o ...more
Heller
Aug 02, 2012 rated it liked it
3.5

The Shifters Unbound books are always intense reads for me. I really enjoy the world that Ashley has created with the shifters being isolated and treated as second class citizens. There's a lot of room for play here to see how the worldview itself will, in the future, shift and change or stay stagnant.

I find it so interesting in the various books how the different types of shifters butt heads with each other as they establish dominance. This one is no exception, there's a lot of subtle and n
Lover of Romance
As this is a short novel in the Shifter Bound series, I though I would do a shorter review for it....Ever since the series started I have been wanting Spike's story, and when I noticed that he was the hero, I was thrilled to say the least. He always made me laugh, and he had spunk, and I really liked that.It starts out with him in a fight with another shifter bear, where he meets Myka who comes to him with a shocking announcement, one that would change him, that he has a cub, a little boy, and t ...more
Laura (Kyahgirl)
Jul 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
3.5/5; 4 stars; B+

Spike and Myka and Jordan make a sweet family. A good short story addition to the series.

Sheryl
I've said this before and i'll say it again! Hands down this is one of the BEST series i have ever read!!! LOVED the story of Spike and Myka!
Jessica
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book but not quite as much as Ronan's. I went ahead and read this one a) because i'm waiting on wild cat to come in to my local library and b) i wanted to make it through this shifter town before i moved to the next. now i didnt particularly like spike in the first book so i went into this one with a healthy skepticism, but i actually ended up liking him. I liked that Myka was tough and didn't let the shifters run all over her. I didn't like any of the names. Spikes nickname and r ...more
D.G.
Oct 03, 2017 marked it as dnf
DNFed at 74%

I can't stand Spike. Can't STAND HIM! He's a guy who's been using his muscles all his life and now he wonders why people thinks he's just muscle and no brain?

And how can I believe a woman who was beat up as a child would hook up with fighter without any misgivings? If the story would have been about that at all, I wouldn't have minded. But I didn't care for all the focus on Spike.
Vfields Don't touch my happy!
Spike & Myka are winners. This is the best and most cohesive installment in this series. Two people meet and the world has to make room for them. Spike has a son who need pack and his grandmother who's a hoot. Watching the growth of Spike and laughing at the kid made my day. Jennifer Ashley should stay this focused when writing longer works.
Kelly
Nov 11, 2017 rated it liked it
3 1/2 stars
Leona (readingwithleona)
After I finished Tiger Magic by Jennifer Ashley, I knew that I needed Spike’s story ASAP. Thank goodness Ashley released Hard Mated in a box set with two of her other stories for 99c because that meant that I no longer had to wait a year and a day for it to become available at my library.

In reading about Spike first in Tiger Magic and again in Guardian’s Mate I knew that he was a badass, but it wasn’t until I read the opening scene in Hard Mated that I was able to glimpse the magnitude.

Ha
Lorna
Jul 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
(PureTextuality.com)Another in Jennifer Ashley’s Shifter Unbound series, Hard Mated falls after book 3, and before book 4. At 266 pages, it’s not a novella, so I just consider it as part of the Shifters Unbound world, as it should be. The action has moved back to the Austin shiftertown this time around.

Spike is one of Liam’s(leader of the Austin Shiftertown)enforcers and is at his beck and call at all times. Everyone believes that he doesn’t have much of a brain, but that couldn’t be further fro
Beanbag Love
Nov 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this installment of the "Shifters Unbound" series quite a bit. It's the story of Spike and Myka. Spike is the biker wildcat from the Austin shiftertown who was on the outs with the Morriseys in the first book. He's become a tracker for Liam, but he's also developed a reputation as one of the best fighters in the illegal and underground fight club.

I won't go into much detail because there's a lot of nifty stuff to discover in this one. Especially the softening of Spike. There were time
Mel
Spike is by far my favorite Shifter and I really thought I'd love his short novel, Hard Mated, but in comparison to Ronan's novella, Bodyguard, and the rest of the Shifters Unbound series it just wasn't as good. That being said, I really liked Hard Mated, I just didn't love it and can't for the life of me figure out why.

I fell even harder for the lonely and incredibly intelligent Spike and though I really wanted to hate Myka for taking my man, I actually liked her. The book had lots of action,
Heather
Sep 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Myka, who'd been raised by an abusive stepfather, is not sure that a wild fighter named Spike is the best man to bring up the cute little jaguar cub. She goes to Shiftertown to check out Spike, and finds that the
  • Unbound (Time Hunters #2.5, Shifters Unbound #4.5, The Elementals #1.5)
  • Cynful (Halle Shifters, #2)
  • Howl For It (Pride, #0.5)
  • Savage Awakening (Alpha Pack, #2)
  • True Colors (Elder Races, #3.5)
  • Croc and the Fox (Furry United Coalition, #3)
  • Deuces Wild (Ridgeville, #6)
  • Wild Invitation (Psy-Changeling, #0.5, 4.5, 9.5, 10.5)
  • Outfoxed (Cougar Falls, #4)
  • Beneath the Skin (de La Vega Cats, #3)
  • Drive Me Wild (The Others, #7)
  • Bound in Sin (Bound, #3)
  • Wolf Tracker (After the Crash #3)
  • Bayon/Jean-Baptiste (Bayou Heat, #3-4)
  • Silver Mine (Takhini Wolves, #2)
NY Times Bestselling author Jennifer Ashley writes historical, contemporary, and paranormal romance, historical mysteries, and urban fantasy as Jennifer Ashley, Allyson James, and Ashley Gardner.

Jennifer's novels have won RWA's RITA and RT Reviewer's Choice awards, have been translated into many different languages, and earned starred reviews from Booklist and Publisher's Weekly. More about her b
More about Jennifer Ashley

Shifters Unbound (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Pride Mates (Shifters Unbound, #1)
  • Primal Bonds (Shifters Unbound, #2)
  • Wild Cat (Shifters Unbound, #3)
  • Mate Claimed (Shifters Unbound, #4)
  • Tiger Magic (Shifters Unbound, #5)
  • Wild Wolf (Shifters Unbound, #6)
  • Mate Bond (Shifters Unbound, #7)
  • White Tiger (Shifters Unbound, #8)
  • Guardian's Mate (Shifters Unbound, #9)
  • Red Wolf (Shifters Unbound, #10)

Romance Deals

• The Wedding Shroud (Tales of Ancient Rome, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Release Me (Stark Trilogy, #1)
  • Better Off Without Him
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Veronica's Dragon (Icehome, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • No Prince Charming (Secrets of Stone Series Book 1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • A Loyal Heart (An Uncertain Choice, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Surrender (Steel Brothers Saga, #6)
    $7.99 $2.49
  • Forged in Smoke (Red-Hot SEALs, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunted (The Warrior Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Husband's Regret (Unwanted, #2)
  • Be My Reason
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Cuffed (Honor Bound Book 2)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • His Unlikely Lover (Unwanted, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Love Me Sweet (Bell Harbor, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forged in Ember (Red-Hot SEALs, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taking Catie (Temptation Saga #3)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Desire After Dark (Gansett Island, #14)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Scotch King (Scotch #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • This Love of Mine (Mirror Lake, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Your Scandalous Ways (Fallen Women, #1)
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Seaside Hearts (Love in Bloom: Seaside Summers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forgotten Secrets (Singing River Legacy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Knight (Endgame, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Storm Warrior (Grim, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bayside Passions (Bayside Summers, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Misadventures with a Rookie (Misadventures, #11)
  • Finding Libbie: A Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love at Last (Love in Bloom: The Bradens at Peaceful Harbor, #6.5)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Nitro's Torment (Sydney Storm MC #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Strange Hymn (The Bargainer #2)
  • Only You
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Lily and the Duke (Sex and the Season #1)
  • A Girl's Best Friend
    $9.99 $1.99
  • My Once and Future Duke (The Wagers of Sin, #1)
  • Surrender/Submission Bound Hearts 1 & 2
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Burn (Steel Brothers Saga, #5)
    $7.99 $3.49
  • Mistress of Magic
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Duchess Deal (Girl Meets Duke, #1)
  • INK: A Love Story on 7th and Main
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Misadventures of a City Girl (Misadventures, #2)
  • A Ruthless Proposition
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hearts at Seaside (Sweet with Heat: Seaside Summers #3)
  • Hometown Girl
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Mind (Trinity Trilogy #2)
    $6.99 $2.49
  • Rhapsodic (The Bargainer, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Room Mate (Roommates, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Decaying Empire (The Vanishing Girl, #2)
  • The Forgiving Hour
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Bright Side (Bright Side, #1)
  • The Fixer Upper
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Room for More (Cranberry Inn Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Neanderthal Seeks Human (Knitting in the City, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Chasing I Do (The Eastons #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Forever Hunted (Forever Bluegrass #9)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Slow Dance in Purgatory (Purgatory, #1)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Cafe by the Sea
  • That Month in Tuscany
    $6.99 $2.49
  • My Brother Michael
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Something in the Way (Something in the Way, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Elect (Eagle Elite, #2)
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • To Taste Temptation (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #1)
  • Ghosted
  • Dodging Temptation
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Billionaire's Final Stand (Billionaire Bachelors, #7)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Find Me (Corrupted Hearts #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blackmailing the Billionaire (Billionaire Bachelors, #5)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Hunger (The Energy Vampires #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Billionaire Falls (Billionaire Bachelors, #3)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Runaway Heiress (Billionaire Bachelors, #6)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Treading Water (Treading Water, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Life Next Door (Love Not Included Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Undeniable Love (Journey Of Love Book 2)
  • Bittersweet
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Mr. Perfect (Mister, #1)
  • Made for You
  • The Light In Summer
    $5.99 $1.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Collision Point (Brute Force, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Journey Home
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Storm Bound (Grim, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unforgettable Love (Journey of Love Book 3)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Prom Night in Purgatory (Purgatory, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Valiant (Spy Girl Book 4)
  • Dear Aaron
  • Running Barefoot
    $5.95 $1.99
  • Wrecked
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Sapphire Heist (Jewel, #2)
  • The Other Side of the Story
    $10.99 $1.99
  • One Fell Sweep (Innkeeper Chronicles, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Out of Focus (Adams Grove, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • What If
  • Impossible Saints
    $22.73 $1.99
  • Hudson (Fixed, #4)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Only a Millionaire (The Sinclairs #6.5)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Elite (Eagle Elite, #1)
  • Kulti
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Soul Summoner  (The Soul Summoner, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • April / May / June (Calendar Girl #4-6)
    $8.99 $3.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • Valorous (Quantum, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tempting Dusty (Temptation Saga, #1)
  • When Never Comes
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Misadventures with the Boss (Misadventures, #12)
  • Baby Daddy
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Twice Bitten (Argeneau #27)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Misadventures of a Good Wife (Misadventures, #6)
  • Calendar Girl: Volume Three
    $8.99 $3.99
  • Love and Other Unknown Variables
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Storm Warned (Grim, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Real Thing (Sugar Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Bronze Horseman (The Bronze Horseman, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Light After Dark (Gansett Island, #15)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Pecan Pie and Deadly Lies (Adams Grove, #4)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • How To Marry A Werewolf (Claw & Courtship, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Connor told me Dad and Aunt Myka are going to shag tonight.Great-grandma,what´s shag mean?” 4 likes