Start by marking “Astronauts and Heretics” as Want to Read:
Astronauts and Heretics

Astronauts and Heretics

An ardent missionary beams to another galaxy--but finds his convictions and personality altered in transmission.

A bounty hunter pursues a replicant from out of history. This is not called termination. It is called “impeachment.”

Aliens invade a globally depressed Earth with a sinister weapon: A new line of curiously addictive consumer products.

Superheroes must control the
Published (first published December 7th 2011)

Tom Marcinko
Is there some way I could identify myself as the person who wrote the stories in this book, and thank everybody who posted a review?

It's a bracing thing to read comments on your work, positive or negative, from strangers. They tend to tell you what they really think.

A hand, please, for my very talented friend Richard Laugharn, who designed the cover.

And thanks to the several and sundry editors who published these stories, and actually gave me money for them.
Rajiv
Feb 10, 2012 rated it it was ok
I saw the recommendation on Boing Boing and just had to read this collection of short stories.

To be honest, I was a bit disappointed with the overall quality of the stories. The descriptions were written masterfully, drawing readers in with succinct teasers. The stories themselves felt jumbled however, and they lacked the quality of the teasers that drew me in.

There are wonderful concepts hiding in the stories, but they are muddled by poor editing. The pacing and characterizations need work; the
Deanna
Feb 07, 2012 rated it liked it
This collection of sci-fi short stories was offered free in the Kindle store. A few of them were really fun or thought-provoking. My favorite was Deep Space Sein - a Star Trek/Seinfeld mash-up. It made me laugh out loud a couple of times. A couple I thought were too short; I wished they were a little longer. I look forward to reading more by this author.
Joel Neff
Feb 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The seven stories in this collection showcase a writer fully in command of his craft and talent. They range from the comic (Deep Space Sein - seriously, a mash-up of DS9 and Seinfeld, it's just genius) to the darkly creepy (Whiter Teeth, Fresher Breath) to the hopeful (everything else).

My one, single, complaint is that Marcinko seems to be a writer who values brevity above all else. Yet his characters are so real, and his ideas so intriguing that I find that each story ends long before I'm read
Eveh
Jan 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
These seven stories are loaded with SF goodness: they are gritty, bleak, losing-my-religion, often-hilarious, wag-the-alien, Seinfeld-loving targeted missiles. (You won’t look at your toothbrush or skyscrapers or the Pope the same way—unless you’re too busy wondering which version of you was retrieved and reassembled today.)

I've read entire novels that contain fewer ideas and less world-building than one of these finely crafted short stories (although "Henry the Human Flea" did not seem as fles
SR
Dec 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a really thoughtful collection of stories. I loved Deep Space Sein despite having watched full episodes of NEITHER Star Trek NOR Seinfeld, which goes to show either Marcinko's writing abilities or the pervasiveness of trek & seinfeld in pop culture today...

Recommended to anyone who's a fan of comic book superheroes, American Gods, and China Miéville.
Stephane
Jun 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very interesting collections of short stories, each with a unique little spin on some "sci fi" trope. Each reads more as well written thought experiments, with some comedy thrown in (Deep Space Sein: a mash up of Seinfeld and Star Trek; A Closer Personal Relationship: the second coming is not quite what we expected). The story are short, interesting and well written.
A very fast, very clever, very good read.
Ed Hammerbeck
Mar 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Decent sci-fi with some interesting ideas.
Paul
Feb 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
A collection of good sci-fi short stories from what I understand to be new author. I'd like to see a couple of these turned into longer works.
Allison Lara
Feb 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the Star Trek/Seinfeld crossover and the "oh crap fundies were right" horror story.
Justin Tappan
Aug 21, 2017 rated it liked it
A mixed bag of short sci-fi/fantasy tales.

Some hit, some didn't. One in particular downright confused me.

A short and sweet read.
Lynette Aspey
Feb 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing

My first disclaimer is that I love the short-story format, and I'm a dedicated and avid SF&F reader. I fall very firmly in the audience bracket for this collection and I was not only surprised but delighted by what I found therein.

A humanist theme resonates through all of the stories, and the writer demonstrates a keen eye for observation and a wry sense of humour. So, on one hand I recognise that this collection will not suit everyone, I also unreservedly recommend it to readers who look fo
Onionboy
Feb 07, 2017 rated it did not like it
Recommended to Onionboy by: amazon
This was a collection of short sci-fi stories. If there was a theme, I didn’t quite catch it. The stories were odd, and didn’t pay off for me. I prefer my sci-fi short stories to have a twist or interesting ending, which I did not find here. I didn’t enjoy this much at all.
Molly
Jul 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
Very hook-y short sf, but the hooks just aren't that compelling. Still not sure I know what's the deal with the story about the toothpaste. ::shrug:: I read it on a plane.
Mike
Aug 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Mildly entertaining and immediately forgotten.
Roger L. Boese
Jul 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
Stories out of this world

Good imaginative tales, thankfully short. Enough to make one think for a bit but not deeply. The familiar somewhat twisted, not memorable.
Jeffrey
Dec 26, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Author calls upon readers 1 3 Dec 11, 2012 10:48AM
  • The Big Jump
  • There Goes the Galaxy (There Goes the Galaxy #1)
  • United Moon Colonies
  • Blue Haired Alien Girlfriend
  • Freedom Incorporated
  • The God In The Clear Rock
  • The Little Universe
  • Realms Unreel
  • Stars Rain Down (Biotech Legacy, #1)
  • If at First . . .
  • The Burning Sky (Halcyon #1)
  • Gabriel's Redemption