Start by marking “Love Monster” as Want to Read:
Love Monster

Love Monster

(Love Monster #1)

Featuring the only Monster in Cutesville, LOVE MONSTER is a wonderfully warm and witty look at how sometimes, when you least expect it, love finds you… From a phenomenal picture book talent.

It can be tough being the only funny-looking Monster in Cutesville, but this Monster is not one to hang around and feel sorry for himself, so he’s off – out into the big wide world to l
Published January 5th 2012 by Harper Collins Children's Books (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Love Monster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Monster

N
Jan 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: love
This is more likely to find an audience with an adult who's been single far longer than they'd care to rather than say a 4 year old child.
Kendall
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
To be honest, I wasn't expecting much from this book but...♥♥♥I FREAKINGADORETHISBOOK!!♥♥♥
I need to own this book! I felt all the feels--the sadness, the searching and worrying and fear, the giving up, not being fluffy and cute, thinking you will never find anyone who loves you for you...dang, this book hit me HARD! Maybe it is the mood I am feeling at the moment, maybe it is just that this book is everything I needed right now and didn't know it...whatever it may be, I LOVE this sweet, beautif
Stephanie (Reading is Better With Cupcakes)
I am going to be totally honest with you on this one. I am very torn with my feelings about it. On one hand I like it and think it is really cute while on the other hand I think it is a little bit depressing. I guess I should explain that a little bit...

I think the monster is super cute. He looks like something I just want to pick up and hug. If I think that, I am sure that kids who read or have this book read to them will think the same thing about this little guy.

I also like the artwork. I don
Rosalie
Jan 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
I love the illustrations and the font of this story. It's a great read aloud for preschool children to teach them being different is okay!
Feb 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books

I love the artwork in this book! Big, clear, bright pages filled with color! Pale blues, soft yellows, pinks, and warm reds. Beautiful pages filled with love. Or rather the search for love. Our googly-eyed monster looks high & low, this way and that way for the love of his life. Will he find his love or go home empty hearted?

”You see, sometimes, when you least expect it…love finds you.”

A cute Valentine’s Day read. :)

Sidenote: I did have a but with this book…

(view spoiler)
Penny Ramirez
May 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Adorable. Bold brights and heavy lines for Monster, who doesn't quite fit in with the fluffy pastel creatures of Cutesville. I enjoyed looking for Love with Monster. Be sure to look for all the little details in the illustrations (emergency donuts - yes!)!
debbicat ☮~Traveling Sister
Adorbs! Kiddos loved it.
Hayley Craven
Aug 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
*Spolier Alert*

Love Monster follows the journey of a monster who is on the hunt for love in a world where those who are pretty, fluffy and cute attract all the love and attention. He is hairy and googly-eyed and lives in a place called Cutesville. It’s tough on him being alone so he sets off on a quest to find somebody to love him. At first he is very optimistic and searches high and low for a suitable companion, but encounters several setbacks along the way. The monster continues looking for a
Kimberly
Jul 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Monster might not be cute, but this book is freaking adorable. It warmed the cockles of my icy heart! I love this little guy.

Used for a monster-themed family storytime on 10/10/17. The kids liked it.
Laura McLoughlin
Jul 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Very sweet book. The illustrations are wonderful and the monster is freakin' cute.
Abigail
May 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone Who Appreciates Block-Printing Artwork / Young Monster Lovers
The only non-cuddly resident of Cutesville, Monster longed for friends, companionship, and most of all, for love. Setting out one day on a quest to find what he's been missing, Monster searched high and low, all to no avail. Beaten down and defeated, he was heading back to Cutesville when he met a slightly hairy she-monster on the bus...

An engaging tale of a sympathetic misfit who only wants the same love and companionship he sees others around him enjoying, Love Monster pairs an endearing story
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Monsters need love just like anyone else! But the lesson of this book is that love might be right in front of you - 'turn around, look at me.'
Adam Noct
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite children’s books. It is slightly dark and sad but then swings back to such a perfect happy ending. It makes me tear up every time. I even went and got the plush Love Monster so he never has to feel lonely.
Maggie Ollmann
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Personal response
I read the book Love Monster to my little sister, Nora. She thought this book was awesome. She liked it when Monster found love. Nora also liked reading the book with her big sister. I thought this was a good book too, and it was a good book to read with my sister.

Plot
A monster that lived in Cutesville was not so happy. No one who lived there liked Monster. Kids only liked kittens, puppies, and bunnies. Monster was having a bad day and thought no one liked him. When he was rea
KayeC Jones
May 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a very cute book. It's obviously the illustrations are made with care and love. The story is short and depending on what you like in a book, that could be good or bad, but I liked it.

There are some reviews that complain about the possible implication of it teaching everyone should be cute, but I don't think that's the case whatsoever. It's a children's book, people. Relax and have fun.
June
Aug 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: love and monster requests
Recommended to June by: Elaine Pelton
It is really cute! I'll have to try it in a story time to see if it appeals to children as much.
Cody
What an AWESOME BOOK! It’s so sweeeeeet.
Katie Zajac
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed-books

Fantasy:
Love Monster written by award winning author Rachel Bright is a wonderful story that I would use in a kindergarten or first grade classroom. The Love Monster lives in Cutesville, where every other creature is cute and loved, except for him. He feels alone, and like he does not belong because he looks funny. He then decides to pack his bags and try to find someone who will love him. He searched, and searched, but had no luck of finding someone to love. When he decided to give up and go ho
Brie
Feb 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Who wants to be the only monster in a town filled with adorably cute, cuddly kittens, puppies and bunnies?

L. Monster is tired of being the only monster in Cutesville. Because his outside appearance frightens people, he is very lonely and unloved. Seeking companionship, L. Monster packs up his things and sets out in search of love. His journey takes him places but the results only reinforce his loneliness. Just when he is ready to give up and go back home to Cutesville, love shows up.

This is a c
Nisha
This was a impulse buy on my part, but my baby really enjoyed this book. He likes saying hi to the monster. The art is wonderful but the story is a bit sad, as the love monster tries to find someone who loves him just the way he was. I'm not sure what positive message to teach my baby with this, but at least he likes the searching parts.
Anna
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childhood
I love this book. I enjoy reading it as a bedtime story to my daughter and son most nights. I must have read it about 200 times and I still enjoy it. My 2-year-old loves to read along "he yooked high, he yooked yow, he yooked middle-ish!" So cute.
Emily Moss
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The monster feels left out and different in the big world. Very funny illustrations such as the “non-cute fancy dress shop”. All about friendship and love, even at the most unexpected moment. Great for KS1 pshe lessons.
Kate
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
SO CUUUUUUUUUUUTE
Victoria
Nov 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Bought this for my wee girl's Christmas and had a little sneaky read before wrapping it. I actually had a tear in my eye. It's such a lovely book. Can't wait to read it to my daughter.
Megan Camille
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
it wasn't as cute as I had hoped
Blake Schreckhise
Apr 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Such a cute book! Just read it to my little baby girl!
It was enjoyable for me and I am sure she liked it as well!
Eden Kwende
Aug 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Kirsty Cabot
Mar 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Read to Ivy 14/08/15

A lovely story about not worrying about being different, everyone finds love eventually.
Autumn Byrd
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-books
description

“He decided to set out and look for someone who’d love him, just the way he was.”

It’s hard not to fall in love with the cute and cuddly Love Monster, who is trying so hard to fit in in the town of Cutesville. He wonders if a googly-eyed, hairy monster will ever fit in and goes out to search for someone who will love him just as he is. This is a sweet story about the importance of being yourself no matter how hard things seem.

In this sweet tale, we follow the journey of Monster, who is this u
Alicia Evans
I missed this review somewhere along the line... I love this book! It's one that makes me laugh no matter how many times I read it. There are little asides throughout the book that just add humor to everything--very clever. It's also a book that gives a wonderful message of hope, that everyone will find someone perfect for them someday.

For: fans of cute romantic books or fans of monsters.

Possible red flags: some may feel that the book is too optimistic about finding true love.

• Buddy and the Bunnies: In Don't Play with Your Food
  • Crankenstein
  • Duck, Duck, Moose!
  • Bunnies!!!
  • How to Hide a Lion
  • An Awesome Book of Love!
  • Crankee Doodle
Rachel is a writer of words, drawer of pictures and champion of silver linings. She exhibits widely, writes tirelessly and frequently creates slightly unhinged characters.

Her written work includes children’s stories and poems, clever advertising copy and lots of other stuff besides. Her illustrative work is a smorgasboard of giant, hand-printed poems, mind-bogglingly detailed gouache illustrations

Love Monster (4 books)