Start by marking “Some Girl(s)” as Want to Read:
Some Girl(s)

Some Girl(s)

David Schwimmer stars in this West End production of Neil LaBute's play Some Girl(s), which previews from 12 May 2005 at the Gielgud Theatre.
Published May 19th 2005 by Faber Faber (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Some Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Some Girl

Sarah Kleist
Jul 18, 2011 Sarah Kleist rated it really liked it
I only give this play four stars because it gave me what I needed; good
female monologues. As far as the actual play, I'm not so sure. If I had paid money to see the show, I would have still liked it and the acting, but I think I would have felt I wasted my money. It starts where it begins... And only the smallest realizations are made.
Pfauzgrot S
Jun 13, 2013 Pfauzgrot S rated it did not like it
This is seriously one of the biggest pieces of crap I have ever encountered between two book covers or on a stages for that matter. Unbelievable. Guy gets married, wants to see exes to make things good between them because he's been a mean, mean man....but that meanness actually just means he up and left. That' it! Oh, no, I forgot, he also kissed a 12 year old when he was 16 which is portrayed as a rape! The portrayal of women in this book is ridiculous. We all just live for men and if someone ...more
Mylissa
Oct 18, 2013 Mylissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-books, plays
While I really enjoyed the play itself and plan on reading more of LaBute's work, I found the way the play was set up to be off putting. The introduction said part of the reason for this play's being was to respond to there not being enough meaty roles for women. Yes, there are four great female roles in this play, but there is a bit of stereotype in each one, fulfilling a certain cliché of certain types of breakups. Not to mention, none of them are the lead, they come and they go, each getting ...more
B
Aug 03, 2008 B rated it really liked it
LaBute is probably one of my favorite writers of natural speech these days. I did The Shape of Things a few years ago, and this is my first interaction with him since then, but having memorized a monologue for an audition, he's just so good at natural speech rhythms. He makes things so easy to say! More playwrights need to make things so easy to say. He's also a genius at capturing the uncomfortable. Ugh. It's hard to read, some of it. Which makes it even harder to see on stage, I'd imagine. But ...more
Bee
Aug 27, 2008 Bee added it
Should I be disturbed or concerned if I connected with this play on multiple emotional levels? Probably.
Lorma Doone
Aug 27, 2009 Lorma Doone rated it really liked it
Shelves: plays
I guess this man can do no wrong in my eyes. Read it in no time, got to the end, felt dirty, then thought to myself, "yeah, that's about right. That explains it."
Catherine
May 02, 2007 Catherine rated it really liked it
Revisiting this play for acting class. Still good.

i'm currently doing a production of the deleted scene at the end of this play. neil labute states in his notes about the deleted scene that he thinks it would make a good one act play, and i think it does. this play speaks truth about the fucked up things we do unintentionally to our lovers, and that feeling deep down that we wish we could go back and right things. honestly, who hasn't ever thought about looking up an ex and seeing what's up?
Korri
Jan 16, 2010 Korri rated it it was ok
Shelves: theatre
Neil LaBute's dialogue and charaters are pitch-perfect and completely of the moment. But the lead and the scenario are diffcult to like. Guy is a pathetic, self-absorbed man-child meeting with his exes (and only the ones that made the top list) to apologize/make amends/use as source material for his fiction before getting married. He's a lost, confused Gen Xer, describing his fiancee as 'some girl' and seemingly unprepared for the emotional fallout of being in touch with former lovers. A harsh, ...more
Rainey
May 06, 2014 Rainey rated it it was ok
The nameless main character of this play is self-absorbed and basically an emotional terrorist. He drags through all of his old relationships as a holdout to getting married, seeks validation from several poorly written female characters, & then tries to convince his ex that they should be together. When she subsequently rejects him, he calls his fiance to assure her that he loves her. LaBute, in only five characters, writes pathetic women, toxic relationships, & the worst kind of misogy ...more
Ted Zayka
Dec 06, 2013 Ted Zayka rated it really liked it
Shelves: theatre
I find labute's play to be an honest depiction of one man's relationships, and it offers a glimpse of how he interacts with different women who came at different times in his life. The writing style is also refreshingly true and real. Labute writes the way we think and talk. This gives the play the imperfect, human quality that makes it so successful in my eyes. Labute succeeds in capturing humanity at an honest, grounded level.
Samantha Haviland
Nov 10, 2015 Samantha Haviland rated it liked it
Shelves: drama-read
Guy is an incredible asshole and as a protagonist, fails to undergo any sort of change over the course of the play. As a whole, not so great. Taken as individual scenes, however, I can see the appeal. Though, I have to admit that my favorite scene was "Reggie", the deleted scene rarely performed onstage.
Matthew Konkel
Jul 08, 2008 Matthew Konkel rated it liked it
Not the best Labute, but it's hard to top Company of Men or Shape of Things. Shape of Things has got to be one of my favorite stories. Some Girl(s) is kind of interesting, but lacks the bite from Labute I've come to expect.
Linda
Apr 07, 2008 Linda rated it it was amazing
This play is about a guy who is getting ready to get married, but before he does that, he meets with a few of his ex-girlfriends to see why things hadn't worked out in the past. Very very funny. I loved the amount of subtext he played with. Loved it!
Liz Bernardo
Dec 18, 2013 Liz Bernardo rated it it was amazing
THIS IS MY SOUL PLAY. Such an amazing play. At any given point in life, a girl has been one of Guy's exes that he talks to. It's so good. I can't even verbalize how good it is. You just need to read it.
James Heyworth
Jul 08, 2012 James Heyworth rated it liked it
I should give this play another shot. As soon as I saw that David Schwimmer played Guy when it first opened, I couldn't help but hear his whiny voice as I read it. I seriously stopped paying attention to what was going on.
Andie
Apr 05, 2013 Andie rated it it was ok
I decided to revisit LaBute to see if my opinion of his work has changed in the past five years. It hasn't.
Ellesse
Jan 01, 2010 Ellesse rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites (if not my absolute favorite) of Neil Labute's.
"You write Fiction because that's what you deal in as a person. Fiction"
Kisha
Aug 22, 2013 Kisha rated it did not like it
Clearly LaBute read High Fidelity in the 90's. And then saw the movie in the early 00's. And then wrote a play about it 5 years later.
Slappy McGee
Jan 19, 2008 Slappy McGee rated it really liked it
Labute is a master of dialogue.

Ending is a bit odd. Not completely satisifying. But overall, a pretty interesting play.
Bethany Brown
Neil LaBute always has crazy twists but this one was crazy relatable and I'm better for having read it
Angela
Mar 10, 2013 Angela rated it liked it
Not one of my favorite Neil Labutes but still really good play. This would be a good small college or black box show.
hannah
Oct 10, 2007 hannah rated it really liked it
Shelves: plays
i think i want to be a playwright. i like plays that restore my faith in mankind by not being any more than what people are.
John
Oct 29, 2008 John rated it really liked it
Pretty good play, very easy flowing natural dialogue. Good for scene study class, as everything is one guy one girl.
Betty
Jan 24, 2010 Betty rated it liked it
Interesting dialogue-- attempt to reconcile past relationship damage proves to be even more complicated than expected.
James
Aug 01, 2009 James rated it liked it
A play.
A man meets past girlfriends in hotel rooms to clear air before getting married.
Some moments. Mostly the main character is such a dick it is hard to care.
Eh.
Lori
Aug 16, 2007 Lori rated it liked it
Love this playwright!
Christopher Hendrix
Jun 13, 2012 Christopher Hendrix rated it liked it
My favorite play by Neil LaBute. Couldn't tell you why. Maybe it's because of the lack of predictability.
Colby Zschiesche
Colby Zschiesche rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2015
Paul Castaneda
Paul Castaneda rated it liked it
May 09, 2013
Andrew
Andrew rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2017
  • Stop Kiss
  • Tiny Alice
  • Venus in Fur
  • A Behanding in Spokane
  • Betty's Summer Vacation - Acting Edition
  • Dog Sees God
  • Killer Joe
  • Shipwreck (The Coast of Utopia #2)
  • Romance
  • Marisol and Other Plays
  • Spike Heels
  • Becky Shaw
  • The House of Yes
  • Red Light Winter
  • One for the Road
  • This is Our Youth
  • The Dramatic Imagination: Reflections and Speculations on the Art of the Theatre
  • Biloxi Blues
Neil LaBute is an American film director, screenwriter and playwright.

Born in Detroit, Michigan, LaBute was raised in Spokane, Washington. He studied theater at Brigham Young University (BYU), where he joined The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. At BYU he also met actor Aaron Eckhart, who would later play leading roles in several of his films. He produced a number of plays that pushed
More about Neil LaBute...