Start by marking “Wilt (Soft Cover)” as Want to Read:
Wilt (Soft Cover)

Wilt (Wilt #1)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  8,578 Ratings  ·  405 Reviews
Henry Wilt hanyalah pria biasa yang menempati kelas bawah lingkungan akademis Inggris. Istrinya, Eva adalah seorang perempuan energik dan kritis yang sangat antusias melakukan meditasi transendental, yoga, serta trampoline. Kewalahan menghadapi kelakuan Eva, Wilt berusaha keras membuang pikiran untuk melakukan pembunuhan terhadap istrinya sendiri. Setelah ‘sebuah insiden m ...more
Published 2007 by GagasMedia (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Wilt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wilt

John Martin
This is still a very funny book, surely a gold-standard member of the British humour club. It was released in 1976 and it must have been regarded as terribly risqué then.
Tom Sharpe was a masterful writer. The story, of course, is absurd but that's one of the things I enjoyed about it. It's a short, (dare I say it) Sharpe read and if you feel the need to escape from reality for a few hours, I couldn't recommend a novel more highly.
I'm sure some of my high school English teachers would have had pa
Mick
Apr 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very rarely do I find a book so clever and witty that I actually laugh out loud as I turn the pages. (Unfortunately, I've come across many a book that had me laughing out loud because the writing was just bloody awful, but that's a topic for another day.) Until recently I had never heard of Tom Sharpe, nor of his books--in particular, his outrageously wonderful novel, WILT (published decades ago), until I was given a copy as a gift by a delightfully ornery friend. What a gem! (On both counts.)

H
Leo .
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such hilarity! Tom Sharpe comedy capers are brilliant. The TV film adaption starring Griff Rhys Jones and Mel Smith had me in fits. The film did the book justice. 👍🐯

The vision of a naked Griff tied to a blow up sex doll! Uugh!
Libros Prohibidos
Libro repleto de situaciones hilarantes, diálogos surrealistas y personajes muy particulares. Y es que no nos cansaremos de repetirlo: ¡cómo nos gusta el humor inglés! Reseña completa:
Jane Rocks
Aug 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Don't make the mistake of reading this book in public. Everyone will think you're crazy. I have rarely laughed so much reading anything. It's very light but totally hilarious. After reading this I became a fan of Tom Sharpe and read more of his books. They are perfect if you are looking for light relief or need cheering up.
Anthony Ryan
Dec 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tom Sharpe was arguably the most accomplished British humourist since PG Wodehouse and Wilt is possibly his best loved book. Sharpe drew on his experiences as a polytechnic lecturer in conceiving the character of hapless and unhappily married Henry Wilt, who spends his days teaching Lord of the Flies to disinterested apprentice butchers and his nights fantasising about killing his less than sympathetic wife, Eva. However, when Eva goes missing after a disastrous party in which Henry finds himsel ...more
Maria João Fernandes
"Digamos que o homem é um animal domesticado com certas componentes selvagens dentro dele."

"Wilt" é um livro dominado pelo humor negro e Tom Sharpe conseguiu ser maravilhosamente bem sucedido na tarefa em manter o interesse e crueldade durante uma história de mal-entendidos, caracterizada pelo absurdo (intencional ou não).

Wilt é um professor de Estudos de Formação Geral, que ensina Instaladores de Gás, Estucadores, Alvenéus e Canalizadores. Quer dizer, Wil tenta ensiná-los há 10 anos, mas a verd
pinknantucket
This is the story of Henry Wilt, who’s a chap not really content with his middle-class existence. Neither is his wife, Eva, who wishes he had a more prestigious job and a bit more ambition and so on. Wilt fantasises about murdering his wife, especially after she meets an odious American couple, Sally and Gaskell Pringsheim, who are into Sexual Freedom and Women’s Lib and all sorts of revolutionary new things. Wilt even goes so far as to “practice” Eva’s murder, while she is away with the Pringsh ...more
Glenn
Apr 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humorous-novels
It's an outlandish plot, but full of bawdy Brit humor, a very funny book. During one scene a police inspector talks to the main character Wilt, after a pretty funny set of circumstances lead them to believe he has murdered his wife, and Wilt is purposely giving them the runaround during interrogation sessions that go on forever. The police inspector states "I know what you are, Wilt. A bloody word merchant, a verbal contortionist." I'd say that describes the author pretty well - loved his word s ...more
Cris
Sep 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
En mi opinión, tanto en cine como en literatura y especialmente en la segunda, siempre es mucho más difícil provocar una carcajada sincera que una lágrima en el espectador/lector. Este libro ofrece una gran cantidad de risas y un nivel continuo de tensión facial. Las situaciones cómicas se suceden una detrás de otra, a cuál más surrealista, y los diálogos las completan de manera brillante aportando mucha dinámica.

Reseña completa y mi versión de la portada en http://sidumbledorefueralibrero.com/2
Elis
Aug 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites-books
Un libro que recordaré durante mucho tiempo, lleno de comedia al punto de reírme a carcajada en algún momento. Tom Sharpe tiene una forma de escribir que me ha encantado y argumentalmente, tiene todo bien atado, te muestra un trozo de papel capítulos antes de que tenga relevancia o te enseña un lugar para que sepas que está ahí antes de convertirlo en un sitio fundamental para la trama. Esto lo valoro mucho en un escritor, nada de "Deus ex machina".

Un libro corto, entretenido, desternillante, co
Netscape
No puedo negar que no me haya gustado. Muy entretenido y de fácil lectura, aunque no sé si lo suficientemente entretenido para seguir la saga. Supongo que seguiré, porque siempre me ha costado dejar algo a medias, pero tras un amplio descanso que pueda hacerme recuperar las ganas de leer algo en clave humorística.

¿Qué he aprendido?

-Los libros de humor no son lo mío, pues no he conseguido encontrarlo tan desternillante como me habían prometido que sería.
-El humor negro y cínico es uno de mis humo
Josune Murgoitio
Creo que es el mejor libro de humor que he leído nunca. Me reí muchísimo, y a todas las personas a las que se lo recomendé o regalé les gustó mucho también. Los siguientes a este libro están bien, pero nunca superarán a este primero. Me quedé con ganas de ver la adaptación a teatro.
Monica
Jan 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reread, british
Imagine an academic novel written by the Monty Pythons and David Lodge and you will have an idea of this wonderful bit of comic fiction. Written in 1976, some of it is a bit dated, but for the most part it is still a wonderfully fresh sendup of domestic life in at bottom level academia.

Henry Wilt is an Assistant Lecturer (Grade Two)at the Fenland College of Arts and Technology, teaching Candide and Lord of the Flies to Apprentice Gasfitters and Meatcutters as part of a government mandated enrich
Maria
Mar 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pese a que no me gustan los libros de humor, ¡me ha gustado!
Es bastante surrealista todo, pero a la vez inteligente. Me ha divertido en general y tiene unos diálogos muy buenos.
Magda Pais
Mar 09, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed, 2016
A Cristina, sabendo do meu gosto por livros e por humor negro falou-me neste livro e acabou por o enviar pelo correio para que eu o podesse ler. Valeu a pena! Ainda ontem à noite, como contava à pouco à Sara, tive um ataque de riso assim do meio do nada. Valeu-me estar em casa da sogra e estar em familia, e o facto de que todos sabem que eu sou assim.
Wilt é um professor com uma vida muito mas mesmo muito aborrecida. Enquando Eve, a mulher, faz meditação, Wilt passeia o cão e idealiza como poderá
Peter
Feb 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Triebhaft komisch, satirisch, ab und an ein wenig zynisch und das alles Zuhause und an der Berufsschule. Ein kurzes aber großartiges Buch in dem Sharpe die Welt eines deprimiertglücklichen Berufsschullehrers aus unterschiedlichen Betrachtungswinkeln zeigt und einen durchweg entweder zum schmunzeln oder gar zum lachen verführt. Kein einziger Seitenhieb auf das Spießbürgertum in all seinen Facetten wird dabei ausgelassen.

Wenn Sharpe von "Fleisch 1" oder "Gas 3" berichtet, sieht man die Schulklasse
Oki
Nov 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hay veces que los mejores libros son de los que no esperas nada. Y de este no esperaba nada, porque lo encontré el link al epub libro por ahí tirado.

Sin destripar mucho el libro, la historia va de un pobre infeliz que quiere matar a su mujer. Pero es de humor. Del negro. Con muñeca hinchable de por medio. Con erótico resultado.

En resumen, todo lo que un degenerado como yo deseo en un libro de humor.

Le doy 4 estrellas por la grata sorpresa de que no saliera rana, y el humor grueso sin complejos (
Kasa Cotugno
One of the funniest books I ever read. It and its sequel made me laugh out loud, as did other Sharpe books, and it's good to see it's taking on new life. Oddly, the BBC rendition, much like their Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, was surprisingly unfunny although faithful in both cases to the material.
Johan
Aug 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Het lijkt wel een eeuw geleden dat ik dit boek voor het eerst las. Dat is altijd een risico. Ik had er goede herinneringen aan, die worden maar al te vaak teniet gedaan. Boeken kunnen snel gedateerd raken. Hoewel de tijd waarin Wilt zich afspeelt lichtjaren voorbij lijkt blijft het boek overiend, door de manier waarop ermee wordt omgesprongen. Ten tijde van het verschijnen werd auteur Tom Sharpe van alle kanten nodeloze grofheid verweten. Met het verstrijken van de tijd is dat nu niet meer vol t ...more
Olethros
-Graciosa e intrascendente, sello de identidad del autor.-

Género. Novela.

Lo que nos cuenta. Henry Wilt es un hombre anodino que enseña Humanidades en una escuela de artes y oficios, pasea al perro, se siente frustrado pero vive con ello y está casado desde hace doce años con Eva en un matrimonio convencional (léase “ligeramente amargo pero sin eventos catastróficos que requieran de abogados”), pero cuando Eva hace una nueva amiga las cosas se empezarán a torcer para Wilt y su matrimonio hasta ex
Adrian
Sep 13, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: forokd
Wilt es el típico hombre inglés estancado en un oficio que no le aporta reconocimiento, el típico hombre agotado de su vida, el típico hombre casado con una mujer que ama y detesta... Esa mujer supone en este libro el punto de inflexión que genera un cúmulo de locuras y despropósitos en los que intervienen una muñeca hinchable, una pareja de americanos, la policía y un desgraciado incidente que le obliga a usar su intelecto para salir del lío en el que se ha metido por error.
Un libro con una hi
Andrew
Jul 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok I am on a bit of a Tom Sharpe run but this book introduced you Henry Wilt someone who you cannot help but feel is one of life's victims although some of it he does bring on himself - it is cutting, it is vulgar, it is insulting and you know you it is going to be hilarious but also just ever so slightly familiar.
I will not give away the situations he gets involved with but when his fantasies about killing out his wife suddenly and surprisingly take on a deranged reality you can imagine the co
Achyuth
Jul 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read it again after long - its still as hilarious as I remember it 10 years ago. Wilt used to be my favorite, especially once rejuvenated but this time I was flipping pages waiting for an appearance by the indelible Dr. Board. Sample this - "I've never had much sympathy with necrophilia before but I do begin to see its attractions now".

I still do think Wodehouse trumps Sharpe writing-wise. It could be since I do like laughing out aloud after plowing through the prolix. That, only the master can
Antonio Gomez M
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Comedia negra que critica ciertos convencionalismos sociales e intelectuales. El protagonista es un profesor con la vitola de perdedor entre el círculo social y profesional en el que se mueve, con el que te identificas desde el primer momento a pesar de que se vea envuelto en una locura total. La historia sigue una línea políticamente incorrecta que no se acostumbra a leer demasiado. Es un libro divertidísimo totalmente recomendable. Después de el primero, seguiré la serie sin duda.
Pustulio
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Empieza un poco lento pero una vez que le agarras el humor es muy gracioso.

Es la historia de un tipo patético que se ve envuelto en la investigación de un "homicidio".

Todos en este libro son unos completos idiotas, pero el que se ganó el premio fue el policía.

Creo que si voy a seguir leyendo los demás libros.

Monica
Sep 17, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Novela de humor muy absurdo y algunas veces rudo, pero bastante entretenida. Cómo no, se hace crítica del sistema educativo inglés (de su formación profesional).
Una narración que explica los líos en los que se mete un profesor de instituto profesional al soñar con matar a su esposa. Entretenida.
Al final de sobran unas cuantas páginas, la parte del interrogatorio se me hizo pelín pesada.
André Silva
To be honest, i found the book incredibly boring at the beginning. Now that i've finished it, i think it was well worthy or my time. I found it a bit too weird but at the same time the story works, and the writing style is great. Also, the development of Wilt throughout the book is interesting, and ironical. So, all in all, it's a decent read but certainly not a favourite of mine.
Chris
Pee-your-pants funny and just the kind of slapstick humour I like. This was No.1 in the Wilt series and I will be delving further into Henry Wilt's escapades.

However, be warned. This book is not for those who dislike swearing, crudity and scenes of a sexual nature. If you are broad-minded, though, add it to your TBR list. You'll be glad you did.
Isabel Guerra
Dec 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, humor
Corto, entretenido y muy gracioso.
Me enganchó de principio a fin y me sacó una cantidad de carcajadas.
La situación de la historia es tan absurda e hilarante que es imposible no disfrutar del humor negro al que recurre el autor.
Pronto reseña en el blog.
  • Adolf Hitler: My Part in His Downfall (War Memoirs, #1)
  • The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin
  • El misterio de la cripta embrujada (El innombrado detective, #1)
  • The Wimbledon Poisoner
  • The Alternative Hero
  • Fresh
  • The Complete Yes Minister
  • Slouching Towards Kalamazoo
Tom Sharpe was an English satirical author, born in London and educated at Lancing College and at Pembroke College, Cambridge. After National Service with the Royal Marines he moved to South Africa in 1951, doing social work and teaching in Natal, until deported in 1961.

His work in South Africa inspired the novels Riotous Assembly and Indecent Exposure. From 1963 until 1972 he was a History lectur
More about Tom Sharpe

Wilt (7 books)
  • The Wilt Alternative (Wilt, #2)
  • Wilt On High (Wilt, #3)
  • Wilt In Nowhere (Wilt, #4)
  • The Wilt Inheritance (Wilt, #5)
  • Wilt / The Wilt Alternative
  • Wilt In Triplicate (Wilt, #1, #2, #3)

Fiction Deals

• Drawing Lessons
  • Revolution 2020
  • A General Theory of Oblivion
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Ya-Yas in Bloom (Ya Yas, #3)
  • The Bloom Girls
  • Pope Joan
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Breakdown: A Love Story
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Blaze of Glory (Civil War: 1861-1865, Western Theater, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Silver Music Box (The Silver Music Box series Book 1)
  • Peak
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Wolf Hall (Thomas Cromwell, #1)
    $9.99 $3.99
  • Big Nate: In a Class by Himself
    $6.74 $1.99
  • The Forgotten Recipe (Amish Heirloom #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Leaving (Bailey Flanigan, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Light Years (Cazalet Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Shepherdess of Siena
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Mother's Secret (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #2)
  • Chasing Rainbows: A Novel
  • The Perfect Son
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Feathered Bone
    $6.99 $1.99
“The man who said the pen was mightier than the sword ought to have tried reading "The Mill on the Floss" to Motor Mechanics.” 16 likes
“While he lived a violent life in his imagination, Eva, lacking any imagination at all, lived violently in fact.” 1 likes