Start by marking “My Daughter My Mother” as Want to Read:
My Daughter My Mother

My Daughter My Mother

This is the story of two young women discovering the heartbreak of their mothers' lives, and of how mothers create daughters - and learn from them.
Published March 1st 2012 by MacMillan (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about My Daughter My Mother, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Daughter My Mother

Start your review of My Daughter My Mother
Terena
Aug 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
This story is based on two friends Joanne and Sooky, who meet at a mother and toddler group in 1984. The story also features their respective mothers and the experiences they suffered when they were younger, which affected their personalities as adults.

Annie Murray doesn't shy away from the harsh conditions or experiences that people encounter, so very often her sagas are a tough read, but very addictive at the same time. I found Joanne's forgiveness of Dave almost a little too quick, and I foun
Carol
Jan 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
True to life and family relationships. Reminded me of my mom who never talked much about her experience of the war and I realised (again) how little I know about her in those years and how much I would like to know.
Loretta
Jun 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this deeply moving.
Julia
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My Daughter, My Mother by Annie Murray is a nostalgic trip down memory lane for me as the novel is set in 1984 Birmingham following two mothers and their daughters. This familiar landscape meant I 'walked' through the action being very familiar with the locations mentioned.
Hardships growing up meant the mothers had their secrets. Some things are just too horrible to talk about. One mother was a five year old evacuee in 1939, she suffered and hid her suffering inside. The other mother witnessed p
Fahasa
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In 1984 two young mothers meet at a toddler group in Birmingham. As their friendship grows, they share with each other the difficulties and secrets in their lives: Joanne, a sweet, shy girl, is increasingly afraid of her husband. The lively, promising man she married has become hostile and violent and she is too ashamed to tell anyone. When her mother, Margaret is suddenly rushed into hospital, the bewildered family find that there are things about their mother of which they had no idea. Margare ...more
Bex
Apr 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually think I may have read this twice, but even once I started getting deja vu, I wanted to know how the story was going to turn out (again). Well written as to how many factors - cultural, etc explain people's behaviours (but that we can look at people and think that they are all happy, without knowing what is going on behind the scenes). Some serious storylines about domestic violence, etc. Well structured, rounded believable characters.
Mrs Anne Fryer
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Memories

This book covers the period of time I knew
in Birmingham and reflects very well the post war difficult times and the changes that happened to the previous close knit communities with the destruction of the old housing and the immigrants who came expecting paradise and having to adapt to a very different way of life
Thomas Wright
Jan 22, 2020 rated it did not like it
i am reading this for the library book group I'm done i can't bring my self to read any more of this it is just one bad thing after another between 3 characters

if you like a book about child rape, cultural shaming, war time trauma and domestic abuse then tis is for you but do not let this light fluffy cover fool you this book is awful i would rather spend my time reading other things
Suzanne
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved this charming book and awesome story. Loved all the characters and learning a lot about what people when through in different years. Loved all
The characters. This author is awesome. Love all her books.
Lorna Corcoran
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
LOVED every part of this book!! Finished it in 2 days. Really enjoyed it. I have a new favourite author :)
Sheralee K Lewis
Apr 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this one....
Jackie
Feb 13, 2013 rated it liked it
The novel develops around the friendship which flows between Joanne and Sooky after meeting at their daughter’s toddlers group in Handsworth, Birmingham. It tells the story of two young women, both born and brought up in Birmingham. But who come from different backgrounds and cultures.
The novel is about abuse, drugs, violence, relationships and inevitably change. Change in Maggie as she comes off valium.
The strength that deepens with both Joanne and Sooky after the problems with their marriages
Cath
Mar 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It’s 1984, two women, Joanne and Sooky, go with their child to the local toddler group. There they become friends and gradually they discover each other’s secrets and problems.
Joanne was once happily married, but after the arrival of her beautiful daughter, Amy, her husband’s temper is unpredictable and sometimes he hits her.
Things get worse when Joanne’s mum is hospitalised because of a fit. This accident reveals a much bigger problem…
Sooky lives back with her parents, because her disastrous ma
Rose
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great read and what two different families go through between mother and daughter.
MetLineReader
Jun 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012
This was a daily deal offer which seemed multi-layered and interesting.
There were themes around the 80s, domestic violence, the struggles in India, Sikhs, Muslims, Hindus, motherhood, unhappy childhoods, world war II, evacuation, but everything felt bitty and one-dimensional.
There is one scene which is horrid and draws you in giving you sympathy to the white daughter but apart from that I think that the scenes could have had much more depth.
The editing is poor - for instance near the beginning t
Maureen Vincent-Northam
A multi-layered story set in Birmingham. Part of the story takes place in the 1980s and follows young mothers Joanne and Sooky, how they meet at a mother and toddler group and their individual marriage problems.

We also get to know about Margaret and Meena, their mums, and how the past has affected them. In the case of Margaret, we see her evacuation during the war years, first the cruelty she suffered, and then the joy of being billeted with people she grew to love before being snatched back by
Aunty Janet
Apr 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Relationships between mothers and daughters are notoriously complicated: this story surrounds two families at times of crisis, placing even more strain on the already fragile bonds. The author explores domestic violence and arranged marriage in unexpected ways. Set in 1980's Birmingham, the past influences the present characters, exploring inter-generational relationships across cultures.
I only normally download free books at the moment, but I paid 99p for this as a 'daily deal' on kindle becaus
Chris
Oct 31, 2012 rated it liked it
I've given it 3 stars even though it was a book I could not wait to get back to, and read really quickly. It was quite nice easy reading, not taxing and interesting. Made more enjoyable by it's Birmingham setting and use of some Brummie which reminds me of friends. Just quite light really, and that's not to say its a bad thing. I say light but it's about domestic violence, Valium addiction, Sikh oppression and a marriage break up or 2 - go figure
Jayne
Sep 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Disappointing. Have read all of Annie Murray's books to date and this one doesn't meet the very high standards of her previous books. I think the fact that it was mostly set in the 1980's didn't help. Seemed lacklustre and very boring. Couldn't relate to any of the characters unlike in Annie's other books and none of the characters are that memorable.
Susan
Dec 25, 2012 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book, though at one point I did feel it was a relentless story of hardship, domestic violence, clashes of culture, impact of the past on the present, and difficult mother-daughter relationships. However I stuck with it. The characters were well drawn and I felt for the friendship of Joanne and Sukki.
Carol
Apr 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. The characters were wonderfully written in a way that you could really identify with them all. Interesting in the way they related to each other and we were taken back to the war years. You could feel each character's pain and identify with their helplessness and different situations. Excellent, I will be reading more Annie Murray soon.
Tasha
May 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. It's not my usual style, but I found it really thought-provoking. I found the view of the war from an evacuee's point of view really fascinating, and learnt a lot about the Indian culture.
Julie Cohen
This is exactly what you want out of a gripping saga: rooted strongly in time and place, with plenty of drama, tragedy, smiles and tears and a hopeful ending. The characters are both recognisable and well-drawn. I couldn't put it down.
Louise Jennings
I loved this book as it brings Birmingham that I know to life. And shows how two family's can start so differently and end differently yet still be the same. How no matter what race you still go through the same things
Sheila
Jul 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed all of Annie Murray's books. I especially liked the back story of he mothers.
Dani
Jul 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Totally different to Murray's usual style. Refreshing to read and compelling
Christine
Aug 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
heartwrming story of 2 families in birmingham one english and one indian pleasant read
Toni Mcmullan
Aug 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Not a lot of excitement but interesting themes about mental health, domestic violence, and relationships. I enjoyed it but more of a book for females I think.
Maire
Jan 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Love all Annie Murrays books
Christina Daly
Jun 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
This grabbed me at certain times and other times I got bored. I enjoyed reading it and liked it setting.

• The Girl Who Came Home to Cornwall: A feelgood romance set in Cornwall (Tremarnock Book 5)
  • A Broken Family
  • Daughters of the Mersey
  • The Velvet Ribbon (Tarabeg #3)
  • The House by the Sea
  • Jackie Kabler Book 2
  • Somewhere, Someday: Sometimes the past must be confronted
  • Mary Kate (Tarabeg #2)
  • A Time for Us
  • Jessica's Girl: Everyone has secrets…
  • The Seven Streets of Liverpool
  • A Midwinter Promise
Annie Murray was a ‘childhood writer.’ Her career was helped a great deal by belonging to Tindal Street Fiction Group in Birmingham and by winning the SHE/Granada TV Short Story Competition in 1991. She has published short stories in a number of anthologies as well as SHE magazine. Her first regional saga, Birmingham Rose appeared in 1995 and reached the Times bestseller list. She has since publis ...more

News & Interviews