Start by marking “The Walking Man” as Want to Read:
The Walking Man

Read Book

The Walking Man

Now and then a story comes along that changes the way you look at life and love, such is the tale of "the walking man." Loosely based on a true story, this novella presents a powerful and original narrative about the value of persistence. Set in a mythical hospital filled with comic characters THE WALKING MAN delivers intense moments laughter and heartbreak within an amazi ...more
Published December 25th 2011

To ask other readers questions about The Walking Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Walking Man

Start your review of The Walking Man
Liz
Oct 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: funny
Oh my, what a read! You cannot not read this! From cringeworthy moments, to laugh out loud moments. From moments of giving up, to moments of perseverance.
Love, hate, friendship....

Full review found here.
Jeanette Hornby
An engrossing, unusual, sad, yet humorous story that I thoroughly enjoyed. Recommended.
Bob
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, humor
This was a different book and a pleasant surprise. I'm not fond of books about "the triumph of the human spirit". You know, the books about how one overcomes being born without knuckles or whatever other malady you may have and then you go on to climb mt everest or win olympic gold. I hate that stuff, but that is exactly what this book is about and i loved it, mostly for its sense of humor. This is the story of a quadriplegic who ends up in a very nice hospital and falls in love with one of the ...more
Melissa Hinton
Feb 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Ok

Started out sad but then got weird at the end.
It was ok, it just went in a direction that I didn't expect it to.
Wendy Cartmell
Jul 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Indie Author's Guide to the Universe is meant to help any author, whether they are traditionally published or self-published. This book is designed to encourage and inspire authors in their craft, and give creative ideas that can improve sales and grow an author platform. (Author description)

The Indie Author's Guide to the Universe by Jeff Bennington is another `how to' book for self published authors. But instead of flowery padding and buzz words, here is a book that tells it as it is. It i
Shane
Oct 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
After recently reading Even Steven, I couldn't wait to read more Forbucks and it was with high expectations that I began this book.

A couple of chapters in I wasn't sure if this book would deliver -- in hindsight those chapters were needed to properly set the stage for the rest of the story -- but halfway in the writing style and tone had changed to those that had made me enamored with (or "enamored of" if that is more to your liking) Even Steven.

Forbucks is technical and intelligent without bein
David Clarke
Nov 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The Walking Man is a no-holds-barred account of a man who became a quadriplegic in his youth, learned how to cope with it but who never gave up believing that his condition could be overcome. Written using a fast-moving, wise-cracking style, Wright Forbucks (why do I suspect that is a pen-name?) displays an unexpectedly strong literary talent. The writing is at the same time sparse yet compelling, detailed where necessary and often outrageously hilarious. Mr Forbucks has managed to put a difficu ...more
J.J. Toner
Jan 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I probably see 10-20 "read my book" messages a day from/by indie authors. I ignore them for the most part, because I have so little disposable time. I picked up this book on an impulse and read it. It cost me a day when I should have been writing, but it was worth it. The story is a sort of modern fable, a tale of persistence, self-discovery and redemption. It's a novella (42,000 words) and I found it easy to read and quite enjoyable. I gave it 5 stars for the quality of the writing and the dire ...more
Claire
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a great read. On the face of it, when you read that this book is about a teenager who suddenly becomes quadriplegic, you would expect the storyline to be tragic, a bit dark, maybe depressiong but this book it the opposite. In parts it's laugh out loud funny as well assensitive and insightful. The tale unfolds at a steady pace and whislt the ending is unsurprising it is full of hope and inspiration.
I would thoroughly recommend ths book.
Mary
Jan 23, 2016 added it
Shelves: memoir, handicap
teenage boy is inexplicably paralyzed. His family tries to care for him, but tragedy ensues causing the young man to be institutionalized. At Leicester County Hospital, a facility dedicated to excellence in everything it does, our hero learns to deal with his anger, and then finds love when a volunteer stops by to read the New York Times. Despite their spiritual connection, physical desires deter their union forcing 'the walking man' to devise a plan to win back the one he loves...
Gae-Lynn Woods
Mar 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A story of inspiration, self-discovery, and remarkable achievement in the face of great odds, THE WALKING MAN had my attention from page one. In spite of the dark nature of this story, I found myself laughing out loud at the stark, no-holds-barred style of this novella’s narrator. The author states that the book is loosely based on a true story, and the characters are too bizarre to be anything but completely drawn from real life.

A fast, very enjoyable read that I highly recommend.
Janet
Mar 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Well written story of a parapalegic who falls in love with a young woman, and his struggle with unrequited love. Although this could be a depressing book, it made me laugh in many parts. The story deals with many emotions that we all feel and although the ending is pretty far fetched, it leaves you rejoicing. It was a good and quick read.
M. Joseph Murphy
Feb 18, 2013 marked it as to-read
If you want an example of a great first line, pick this up. It immediately sets tone, scene, and character. All that in the first line. I am not a fan of the cover but get past that to the writing.

After that...hilarious. Fun character who is aware if his racism. Some really nice writing choices.
Suzanne Morrow
May 19, 2016 rated it liked it
I am just not sure.

It was an interesting book, helpful to have something sort of light to read to distract me a bit from my mother's illness, but still just a little odd. I don't care for the ending, too anticlimactic.
Carrie
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: indies
I don't always download a book promoted to me in a Twitter direct message, but this one offered a free download, so I thought, what the heck, I'll put it on my Kindle. I am so glad I did! It was a wonderfully written, witty, and poignant tale of a quadriplegic and his adjustment to life.
Ramona
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book. Who would've ever thought a book about the life of a paraplegic could be so full of humor? Perfect mix of fun along with serious subject matter. I'll definitely read more books by Mr. "Wright Forbucks". :)
Kevin Bowser
Sep 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was truly an odd one. I am not sure I "buy" the premise and the storyline. But, perhaps that is just me.

You kind of know from the very beginning where this story will end. And that is OK. Because some of the other characters that you meet along the way make it well worth the journey.
Sylvie O'rourke
May 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
Humorous but far-fetched. Reads like a biography but as you get into it you realize it is more of a satire. Entertaining but not overly memorable.
Paula
Apr 12, 2012 rated it liked it

Some foul language. Interesting story of quadriplegic that falls in love with volunteer reader. Quick read.
TaniLu
Sep 07, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Beast on the Tracks
  • Ms. Vengeance
  • How Much 2: An Extreme Horror Novel (The Game)
  • Grin
  • Trespassers
  • The Tainted Souls
  • Blood Vengeance: A Jax Masters Story (Jax Masters Bounty Hunter #2)
  • Human Cruelty: An Extreme Horror Novel (A Glimpse into Hell, #4)
  • Sympathy for the Widow
  • Disaster Inc (McGarry Stateside, #1)
  • How to Kill Friends and Implicate People (Sam Ireland Mysteries #2)
  • Caged to Kill (Lawyer David Thompson Legal Thrillers, #2)
  • Ways to Die in Glasgow (Sam Ireland Mysteries #1)
  • Runaway Town
  • Lost City
  • Witchnapped in Westerham (Paranormal Investigation Bureau, #1)
  • The Perpetual Astonishment of Jonathon Fairfax
  • Viral House
Wright Forbucks writes dark comic fiction. His works feature a wicked sense of humor and plots involving spiritual quests. In addition to the critically acclaimed, THE WALKING MAN, Mr. Grist has written three other novels, including BILLY GRIST, EVEN STEVEN and THE GENERAL STORE. In addition to writing Mr. Grist is an inventor. He is married and the father of three young boys. He also has a degree ...more