Start by marking “Do I Dare Disturb the Universe?” as Want to Read:
Do I Dare Disturb the Universe?

Do I Dare Disturb the Universe?

"Do I Dare Disturb the Universe?" is Madeleine L'Engle's spirited defense of the responsibility of children's literature to confront difficult questions, as she did in all her work, particularly her masterpiece A Wrinkle in Time. This e-book contains the text of her famous speech as well as her introduction to the twenty-fifth anniversary of A Wrinkle in Time, original rev ...more
Published May 8th 2012 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (first published May 4th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Do I Dare Disturb the Universe?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Do I Dare Disturb the Universe?

Start your review of Do I Dare Disturb the Universe?
Elizabeth
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite quote from the speech: "The stories I cared about I read and reread, were usually stories which dared to disturb the universe which asked questions rather than gave answers."
Emily
Jan 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sheer-genius
If you love Madeleine L'Engle like I do, this memoir-like "speech" and then thoughts on how A Wrinkle In Time came into being, is fascinating indeed.

Ms. L'Engle writes about the responsibility of writing for children, about crushing rejections, about how she came up with Mrs. Whatsit, Mrs. Who and Mrs. Which, and then, like treasure at the end, the *actual* manuscript pages of the first chapter (including editor's penciled-in edits) of A Wrinkle In Time.

A fascinating peek into the mind of a grea
Matt Gaither
Feb 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Real short, like one-sitting short, but good. She certainly didn't take the task of writing children's books lightly. I'd be interested to read more from her on the subject.
Jack Heller
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two Essays and a Facsimile

One essay is about the danger people have thought resides in children's literature. The second essay is an introduction written for the 25th anniversary of A Wrinkle in Time. The book is definitely > the movie. The facsimile is of the manuscript first chapter of Wrinkle. I got this cheaply for the Kindle, $2.13. Short and interesting.
Susan Lawson
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
On writers of book 'for children'

Have the courage to disturb the universe by writing good books, not writing down for children. If a book isn't good enough for adults, it's not good enough for younger readers either! And sometimes those younger readers are more perceptive.
James
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dare to disturb

A great speech witch encourages both creativity, learning language and conceptual understanding. There is also a preface of the 1983 edition of A Wrinkle in Time which shares the history of ow it came to publication.
Elizabeth S.
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As relevant today as when she first gave it as a speech

I have always loved L’Engle’s works and this speech was no different. Go out , find it, read it. It has something to say to us even after 35 years.
Valerie
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I ❤💖❤Madeleine L'Engle!!! This VERY short read is a real gem!
Jessica Wilkins
Dec 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I pretty much agree with and admire everything Madeleine L'Engle writes and this is no exception. A quick little read with some very deep thoughts about the important and serious task of writing the truth for children. Using mainly her experience with writing and publishing "A Wrinkle in Time", she addresses the importance of asking difficult questions, acknowledging that sometimes children are more equipped to handle them than adults. A lovely way to spend an hour or so..
Anne Hawn Smith
This was excellent. I love Madeleine L'Engle's writing and this is no exception. She challenges me to rethink what I know of the world and to look at things from an entirely different perspective.
Carrie Goodall

• The Children's Story
  • The Superstition of Divorce
  • Big Cat, Little Cat
  • Radical Acceptance: Embracing Your Life With the Heart of a Buddha
  • Women with Money: Create the Joyful, Less Stressed, Purposeful Life You Want with the Money You Have
  • Breasts and Eggs
  • Coronavirus: A Book for Children
  • Seeds of Science: Why We Got It So Wrong on GMOs
  • Trial by Poison: Mary Slessor
  • The White Album
Madeleine L'Engle was an American writer best known for her young adult fiction, particularly the Newbery Medal-winning A Wrinkle in Time and its sequels A Wind in the Door, A Swiftly Tilting Planet, and Many Waters. Her works reflect her strong interest in modern science: tesseracts, for example, are featured prominently in A Wrinkle in Time, mitochondrial DNA in A Wind in the Door, organ regener ...more

News & Interviews

“Finally I scrawled at the bottom of the epistle that I truly feared for this woman. We find what we are looking for. If we are looking for life and love and openness and growth, we are likely to find them. If we are looking for witchcraft and evil, we’ll likely find them, and we may get taken over by them.” 1 likes