Start by marking “UnEnchanted (An Unfortunate Fairy Tale, #1)” as Want to Read:
UnEnchanted (An Unfortunate Fairy Tale, #1)

UnEnchanted

(An Unfortunate Fairy Tale #1)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  40,550 ratings  ·  3,778 reviews
Alternate cover edition of ASIN B006ROK1UM

Mina Grime is unlucky, unpopular and uncoordinated; until she saves her crush's life on a field trip, changing her High School status from loser to hero overnight. But with her new found fame brings misfortune in the form of an old family curse come to light. For Mina is descended from the Brothers Grimm and has inherited all of t
Published 2011 by Chanda Hahn

To ask other readers questions about UnEnchanted, please sign up.
Aliyah Mcdaniel Absolutely!!! Only it's not in a boring way that most people would expect. It really sparks a memory from when we read fairy tale and adds a very mode…moreAbsolutely!!! Only it's not in a boring way that most people would expect. It really sparks a memory from when we read fairy tale and adds a very modern twist to it.(less)

·  40,550 ratings  ·  3,778 reviews

Start your review of UnEnchanted (An Unfortunate Fairy Tale, #1)
Sara
Aug 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book. But the book, in my mind, had two major flaws:

1) The lack of editing. I get it. Not everybody is born a grammatical genius. That's why we have spell check and friends and editors. There were some unforgivable mistakes in word usage, punctuation, and structure. I got this as a free Kindle book, so I can't really complain, but the lack of editing jarred me out of the story on several occasions.

2) The story development. The plot should have been great. I loved the
Kari
Nov 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
I hate when a book has a really good idea, but is written poorly. This is one of those books. I will end up reading all of the series (most probably) because I like the plot line. The book on the other hand is full of editing issues and dull characters.
Maggie
Sep 09, 2012 rated it did not like it
I got this as a free book for kindle, so I figured I'd read it. After all, you can't beat free right? Well, as it turns out, you can. There's probably a reason this book was free.

To start off, the book was so poorly written that I wanted to cry. There were commas where there shouldn't have been commas. There were run on sentences. The writing was mediocre at best. It made Twilight look like War and Peace, which is no easy feat.

The story line was completely unbelievable and skipped around or cha
Raina {The LUV'NV}
UnEnchanted is a freebie on Amazon and B&N, and since I love fairy tales and Brothers Grimm, I had to read it as soon as possible. While the story development needed some work and the editing seemed non-existent, I was sucked in, needing to know how Mina would succeed in the current round of the curse and who all the characters represented.

Unfortunately, I liked Mina's best friend, Nan, more than her. Mina is—or what has become—the typical YA female protagonist: shy, clumsy, and "ordinary" (bro
Lizet
Jul 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Norah Una Sumner
“Not all Fairy Tales have happily ever afters. Some just have afters.”

Starting the sequel immediately.I really liked this book even though it was a bit hard for me to connect with the main character Mina.The story is very interesting and original and the supporting characters seem cool,I hope that there will be more character development for them.How cute is Charlie,tho?♥ The writing is really good,I really enjoyed reading this.

description
Sarah Elizabeth
Downloaded for free from Amazon.co.uk

This was a YA fantasy story, about a girl with a curse.

Mina was an okay character, but she was nothing special. I didn’t find myself rooting for her at all, and I didn’t really care what happened to her.

The storyline in this was about Mina saving a boy at school’s life, and him then instantly falling in love with her, which wasn’t the most believable of tales. We then had Mina finding out that she was cursed, and having to live out fairy tales, which also was
Sebrina
Aug 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
I debated between how high to rank this story. As we all know by now, I love fairy tales so when I saw this title in the kindle store for free, I immediately downloaded it. All in all, I really enjoyed it and bought the sequel upon finishing it. But in all fairness I will share the good and bad...

The bad:

1. The characters are very one dimensional but I don't totally hate this. See further explanation in the good.

2. There are several grammatical errors. Not enough to distract from the story but i
Tabby_thedefiant
Sep 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Haleema
Mar 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites, ebooks
A wonderful twist on the story of the Grimms and their fairy tales. Mina winds her way through trouble not knowing just how strong she really is. And knowing that this is only the beginning, makes this engaging book more than an enchanted series to be drawn into!!!

photo F6GvY0CJp8_zpstd1ydxey.gif
Teresa
Dec 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Does anyone really ever consider their life a story? Other people characters? Do you believe that there is such a thing as Fate, and it is playing with us? I really liked this book, because it made me think about that.
The main character is a stereotypical heroine, and one can tell the author had that in mind. Mina is awkward, booky, shy, and completely lost to her time. She has a crush on the most popular boy in school, and is regularly made fun of. It is the atypical teenager book. Being 20,
Riannon
Dec 30, 2012 rated it did not like it
Read this one on my Kindle because it was free, and the name is quite ironic because this is in fact an Unfortunate fairy tale, a very unfortunate fairy tale indeed. Where to begin...

It is extremely juvenile in tone, with the main character being full of angst and rejecting/being unkind to her main romantic interest for no apparent reason whatsoever.

Said romantic interest is mentally raved about way too much by annoying main character and is way too perfect, being not only the best looking boy
Anna (Enchanted by YA)
This book took me back to the time when I was getting into reading religiously again; when I downloaded any and every book that I could find for free on my kindle. It means that my opinion is quite biased even though now as a more experienced reader I found faults which I didn’t before.

That’s also why I’m making this a shorter review than normal because I don’t want to mark those memories with critiques that never mattered to me back then.

Basically I love this book.

The writing may not be award-w
Nancy
Nov 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A twist on the well-known Brothers Grimm stories comes a radical story of a girl who is a descendant of the Grimm family. Mina Grime was taught to stay out of the spotlight and if by any chance she did start gaining notice, her mother would pack up the family’s belongings and move to a new location. From there, they would start fresh and Mina would go unnoticed until she saved her crush’s life.
It was just another miserable day for Mina. She woke up late, almost missed her bus (again), and had a
Elle
Jul 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebooks, own-a-copy
The dialogue is immature, the characters two-dimensional and the plot is uneventful. I seriously can't believe how this story turned out. I think it could have been better with a planned out execution of the characters, plot and dialogue. I get this is a YA novel and the teenagers will act as such, but this seriously lacked an sense of realism. I couldn't relate to Mina at all. She's clumsy, whiny and the most insecure heroine I think I've ever read about. I couldn't stand how low and down she w ...more
Linda Burke
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Romance or fairy tale fans of any age
Recommended to Linda by: Amazon
Shelves: fantasy
While the original version had some editorial challenges, the overall tone of this book transcends the slight inconveniences of having to read around them. Having been in communication with the author, I learned that her primary goal is to provide juvenile fiction that we would actually want our youth to be reading (no sex, foul language, or overt violence). Sometimes, it is necessary to give up one thing to get another, and in the early days of the Unfortunate Fairy Tale series, it was necessar ...more
Kathy
I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this one. I had seen a few good reviews and it was free for my Kindle so I thought I’d give it a try. I love fairy tales and thought it was fun to see how they were interwoven into this story. Mina was a likable heroine. She was special, but didn’t know it yet. Her mom to try and protect her had tried to encourage her to NOT stand out. Mina always thought she was a klutz and didn’t mind not being noticed. Then one day on a field trip she saved the hottest gu ...more
Leslie
Nov 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone
I got this book as a free ebook from Barnes and Noble. Being the cheapskate/frugal person I am decided to not pass up on a free book. I didn't know what to expect from it, but after finishing it I am completely taken with the story and am looking to get the sequel to it (which unfortunately I have to buy but luckily it's under $5).

It's a twist on the whole 'modern boy/girl who is a part of the Grimm family line and must contend with creatures from the fairytale world'. It has a unique concept an
Haley
Jan 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
When I saw UnEnchanted in the iBooks store I thought....What the heck?!?! It's only 99 cents. After reading it, I know that this is the type of novel that deserves to be on the shelf of every Paranormal Romance and YA Literature fan.

As I read UnEnchanted I was completely immersed in the story. Chanda Hahn managed to create some of the most likeable and relatable characters I've read about in a long time. I felt like I was on the journey with Mina. Mina is every girl! She's quiet and likes to bl
Hollz
Feb 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013-books, favorites
okay so this was just a free book on my kindle.... so hey why not.buy it I thought! so I did!

OMG!!! it was soooooooooooo good! if you happen to like fairy tales ( and a little romance) then READ this! and ..... the ending was like " wh-wh- what?!! nooo!" it felt like it just stops like its in the middle of a chapter! and also ( I am emotional in books remember.) I like cried to.... not balling, but it was just sad. and why am I telling you that?!! I have no idea! so pretend I never said that st
Shelly Hammond
Mar 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this book. This is one that was offered as free so I grabbed it up figuring I would read it one day and give it a shot. WOW! I am so glad I did. I do believe I have found one to add to my favorites list.

I love fairy tales and books that twist fairy tales up, though there are times when such books become just plain silly or done so many times before that you just get bored. This is not one of those books. This book has a very unique storyline based on the Grimm legends and curse
Angel
Mar 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
The story premise was fine. What the book needed was a proper editor and proper formatting. The story jumped between POVs in odd intervals, the pacing was off, and the dialogue rarely brought depth to any character. A well crafted piece of dialogue should be relaying the information that the author then spent time detailing. At best it was like being told the same thing twice.

Can we get over the simpering love-struck "heroine" please? While the story could have been exceptionally good, it was ru
Abigail
2nd time reading:
Oh my word, it's so amazing to see how Mrs. Hahn, from the beginning, was laying down hints and slight oversites into the next few books. I loved re-reading this book because I understood how the little details played into the next books in this series. I cannot wait to finish re-reading this whole, amazing series!! Seriously though I have to say that Jared is by far my all-time favorite character in this book. I know that Broody was my go-to man last time I read this one, but
Linda
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a YA novel I found for free on IBooks..... it was a sweet coming of age book, that I enjoyed reading, I noticed it’s a first in a series, may or may not read them....too many on my list!
Kathy
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
This one has been on my to read list for a long time and I finally got around to reading it. Well actually listening to it on Overdrive. Even better my 11 year old daughter came into the room and got hooked as well so we listened to it together yesterday while doing a puzzle. We both enjoyed it.

Content: Clean
Yashmita
Sep 06, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: re-read-pile, kindle
why did I think revisiting a book from my early-teens was a good idea?

I must say till this day the concept of this series is really intriguing. However, the writing, the characters (especially the protagonist) and the plot are definitely not. Mina is a really annoying, whinny and cliche character who should be erased from eternity. Even when I read this book for the first time, I disliked her passionately as the main character, and my reread (a quick skim-through filled with constant eye-rollin
Anne

It was a freebie, so I'm not inclined to complain.

The idea for the plot was excellent, but it could have used a bit more editing...still, it was free. Not complaining.

Mina is living under (her ancestors) the Grimm Brothers' curse. This means she needs to survive all of the fairy tales in order to break the cycle that has been killing off members of her family for generations.

It kept me interested, but I thought the ending was a bit jarring.
I would probably continue with this series, but
David Rose
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great concept with characters that I liked, the Grimm curse descends upon Mina in a modern setting. There are enough editing and proofing flaws that I have to mention the fact, but the story is strong enough for me to want to continue with the series in spite of that.

Granted, some of the characters were on the flat side, even clichés. But Mina herself is an original construct, and her home life is realistic. The plot is unpredictable, ranging in tone from juvenile to epic fantasy to action, so
Barbi Faye (The Book Fae)
Jul 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Lovers of Tales of Fae
Recommended to Barbi Faye (The Book Fae) by: Brothers Grimm
Mina Grime is a quiet, unlucky teen that always seems to have the worst, most unusual luck, part of a family that moves often. Today she is late for a field trip day with her class to "Babushka Bakery", and through a series of unfortunate accidental events, her crush becomes tripped up on the gangway, yet she ends up epically saving his life. Now, she is being written up in the newspaper and being interviewed on television. At home, her mom is upset and paranoid, wanting only to move again. Her ...more
Star Crowned Book Throne
Aug 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy, 2017
1.5 Stars

I read this one a long time ago and the only memories that had remained were gittery happy memories of cute boys and an awesome plot-line so, of course, I decided that it would be a grand adventure to reread the book. Pardon to popular opinion, I have fallen to non-perfection?

First off, this story is very mediocre with how it read and the characters came off either really boring or really quite annoying. Mina (our MC) was a huge pain and just the whole narration threw me off with her v

• Dangerous (Element Preservers, #1)
  • The Ultimate Sacrifice (The Gifted Teens, #1)
  • The Fallen Star (Fallen Star, #1)
  • The Mind Readers (Mind Readers, #1)
  • Bound (Arelia LaRue, #1)
  • Fire in Frost (Crystal Frost, #1)
  • Ignite (Midnight Fire, #1)
  • Prince of Wolves (The Grey Wolves, #1)
  • Deep Blue Secret (The Water Keepers, #1)
  • Crystal Magic (Clearwater Witches, #1)
  • Frost (Midnight Ice, #1)
  • Dark Promise (Between Worlds, #1)
  • Revival (The Variant Series, #1)
  • Atlantis Riptide (Lost Daughters of Atlantis #1)
  • Rippler (Ripple, #1)
  • Starstruck (Starstruck, #1)
  • Different (Tainted Elements, #1)
  • The Faerie Guardian (Creepy Hollow, #1)
Chanda Hahn is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of Reign An Unfortunate Fairy Tale. She was born in Seattle, WA, grew up in Nebraska and currently resides in Portland, Oregon with her husband and their twin children. She attended North Central University in Minneapolis Minnesota for Childrens Ministry. She was also a children's pastor, bookseller and children's librarian.

Books pu

An Unfortunate Fairy Tale (5 books)
  • Fairest (An Unfortunate Fairy Tale, #2)
  • Fable (An Unfortunate Fairy Tale, #3)
  • Reign (An Unfortunate Fairy Tale, #4)
  • Forever (An Unfortunate Fairy Tale, #5)