Start by marking “Catch Your Death (Kate Maddox, #1)” as Want to Read:
Catch Your Death (Kate Maddox, #1)

Catch Your Death

(Kate Maddox #1)

Fear is contagious

The No.1 bestselling internet sensation. Now in an updated edition with exclusive new material.

A terrifying enigma with the power to destroy

Twenty years ago, Kate Maddox was a volunteer at a research centre where scientists hunted for a cure for the common cold virus. That summer, Kate fell in love with a handsome young doctor, Stephen, but her stay
Kindle Edition, UK, 400 pages
Published January 5th 2012 by HarperCollins (first published May 14th 2011)

Start your review of Catch Your Death (Kate Maddox, #1)
Pauline Ross
This was a cheap ebook, and, as always, it's a bit of a gamble. Some are brilliant, some are awful, this was just a bit meh. There is a cracking story in here somewhere, but the authors have buried it under a positive mountain of cardboard cutout characters and unbelievable plot contrivances. The premise of mysterious goings-on at a research facility, ostensibly working on the common cold but actually up to something far more devious, is an intriguing one, and the plot rattles along at a good ...more
Ashleigh
Feb 14, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, thriller, 2013
This book was kind of... meh. It started off really well, I really enjoyed the first 30% of it but then it just became really difficult.

The premise is really good, I really liked the sound of it, I really thought there was going to be a brilliant crime/thriller in here. The authors have, however, buried it under a positive mountain of generic characters and unbelievable plot twists. The idea of mysterious goings-on at a research facility, working on the common cold but actually up to something
Lizzie Hayes
Apr 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kate Maddox fleeing from her abusive husband in the USA returns home to England with her son. By chance she sees her lover Stephen who she knows died twenty years ago. The sighting takes her back to the time she spent with Stephen in the Cold Research Unit two decades ago. But the person Kate sees is Stephens twin brother Paul.

The meeting with Paul has her questioning her time at the unit and what happened there, and as she concentrates on it she realises that her memory is at fault and that
Wendy Tobin
Jan 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012
this was a fantastic book, couldn't put it down, so much so that i had to read it on my phone while i was walking the dog!!

fast paced book that kept me wanting to know what was going to happen next.

a book i would certainly recommend.
Louise
Mar 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I co-wrote it... so I'm biased!
David Highton
Apr 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A compelling conspiracy thriller with a fast pace throughout - enjoyed reading it. Although development of a deadly virus is the root of the underlying story it does not dominate the action and you certainly do not need to know anything much about science.
Lindsay
Feb 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
'She felt as if she was inside the sort of bad dream which just goes on and on, silently unfolding and transmuting from one nightmare scenario to another.'

Main protagonist Kate Maddox, an intelligent and successful scientist working at Harvard researching viruses, has returned to her native England from the US, bringing her young son Jack with her. She feels her marriage to obnoxious husband Vernon is over, and has made the break without telling him; he is expecting her and Jack to return to
Jill Deschuytter
It wasn't bad but like I said before, I had a serious problem with that fact that Kate just met the twin of her dead boyfriend and sent her son to her sister,mostly to have sex with him.

Nikki-ann
Mar 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I cant imagine the writing process of a novel written by two people, but here we have Catch Your Death written by Louise Voss and Mark Edwards, and it really works. This thriller is a fast paced, edge-of-your-seat kind of read that has its reader gripped right from the start and doesnt let go until the very end. I realised Id read almost half the book in one go by the time I first put the book down, its that good!

The authors have obviously done a lot of research into the subject matter, but dont
Nikki
Sep 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed it, though at times I found the styles of the different chapters a little disjointed, I couldn't help thinking the 2 authors had each written different chapters, I could be wrong but that's how it seemed. Would have been 5 stars but for this.
Looking forward to the next book 'The Anitdote'
Sean Talbot
top rated book . a truly wonderful read which is full of in depth knowledge of viruses as well as a hidden program in England.

the main character lost her first love in a freak fire. it seems like she never found love again until she met then twin brother of her former lover.

a true adventure that I couldn't put down. this will be one of my top reads for 2015
Brianna
Mar 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book had me intrigued me from the start, I found it hard to put it down and I throughly enjoyed reading it.

I can't wait to read more about Kate.

(Book recieved through goodreads first reads)
Grahambootle
It was a bit plodding and predictable, and in a couple of case downright unbelievable. Some of the secondary characters were cliches (the ex husband, the stay at home sister who drinks too much).

Might read more Voss, but not super high of my list of books to read.
Suzanne
Dec 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh my gosh, it was great! My first time for this author and will be looking for more. It was fast paced, had believable characters and has a plot that is sooo scarey. Loved it!
Jack
Jul 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book with an amazing end. Got a bit boring in the middle however it was a good read. Finnished it within 4 days!
Alison Jones
Nov 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fast paced and very engrossing thriller.
Niki Philipson was jeffs
Good book. A bit long winded in places, but it gets to the point pretty quickly. Pleasant read
Daphne
Aug 19, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Bad. It started out acceptable enough for a relaxed read on a warm day, but the further I got, the more I struggled to continue. The reason was the bad writing and cardboard characters. Especially the main character Kate has to be one of the worst Mary Sue's that I've ever come across. Her character is very bland and plain, despite the fact she's supposed to be highly intelligent. It's often mentioned in the book how scientific and rational her mind is, but this so-called scientific way of ...more
Lisa
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I typically enjoy Loiuse Voss' and Mark Edwards's novels, but this was not their best work. I listened to it on audiobook and by the end, if I heard the whining mother (Kate Maddox) scream: "Where's Jack?" one more time, I thought I was going to scream. This book should have been much shorter and condensed, as I lost complete interest by the end and didn't really care about what happened to Kate, her son Jack, or her new boyfriend, Stephen. I just wanted Kate to shut up.

Twenty years ago, Kate
Ayu Ikhwani
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ayureads2018
I was a bit wary starting this book as I had been disappointed in another book (Killing Cupid) by the same authors. The only reason I picked up this book was because I wanted to quickly cross it off my TBR after being there for more than 4 years (I bought it along with Killing Cupid).

Maybe because I wasn't expecting much, the book turned out more than just ok :) I liked the early part where you're just getting to know the characters. To me, it was written beautifully and at a good pace, not too
Chris Amies
Mar 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an effective but low-key little thriller. Given the subject matter it could have been much more wide-ranging but there is no problem with its not being so. I recall - but cannot find - a thriller from the 1980s (I think) in which a deadly virus was being transmitted sexually (and no, it wasn't "Cities of the Red Night"! It was by Tom Clancy or someone like that). That was the James Bond worldspanning approach and this novel has the other end of the range of possibilities, focussing down ...more
Ingo
Feb 15, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
Liked the blurb, skimmed a few of the reviews, and ...
Will only FF this book from now on, the jumps in the timeline do not make this anymore suspenseful, I don't like all of the characters - where are the strong, single, independent females when you need them?
How can a story with such an interesting idea be so dull?
Bought this with 2 other books by the same author which I will most probably not even start.

Jumped to the last 2-3 chapters and skimmed them, nothing to save the book.
DNF/Abandoned
Elli Lewis
I liked the concept of this book and I enjoyed the beginning, not to mention that I wanted to know how it ended. However, I do not believe a mother would leave her son alone when she has just taken him overseas away from her abusive husband, I don't believe she'd have taken him abroad in the first place without first meeting with a lawyer. Plus she is so obsessed with Paul, it makes for uncomfortable reading a lot of the time. There's a lot of good things to say about the book, but these points ...more
Leanne Hunt
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
I've read other books by this author team and enjoyed them, but this one left me a bit flat. The plot was pretty good, full of action and twists, but the characterisation was weak. I found the dialogue especially hard to bear with all the exclamations of horror and rage. Also, the bad guy was so sadistic and so rampantly brutal that his repertoire of crimes became almost comical, like a cartoon character killing people left, right and centre.
Not a great read but not bad enough to put me off
Becc
Oct 18, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Let me start with the fact that it's rare for me to wholeheartedly dislike any crime/thriller book. Having previously read many of Mark Edwards' solo works and a couple with Louise Voss, I expected an entertaining read.

This book is a disappointment on so many levels. The story arc drags and there isn't one truly likeable character. Add that to characters falling in love within minutes and a sociopath who starts to develop 'feelings' and what you end up with feels like a hastily cobbled together
Amy
Jul 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maryann G. Ferguson
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fast paced thriller

The heroine has to patch together her memory to find out why she's being pursued. Love, adventure, and mystery thrown together for an exciting fast read.
John Carruthers
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable page turner

Really enjoyed this. Good story with enough twists and turns to keep you on your toes. Will check out more from authors.
maria helena
Nov 26, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
(1-1.5 stars)

Sounded good, but many of the plot twists were unbelievable and the characters were boring.
Fiona
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Hmmm....was going to stop reading it but i persevered till the end. Not for me, too much unnecessary sex. Trying to make it a thriller or a love story? Not sure at all. A bit silly.
« previous 1 3 next »

• What You Wish For
  • Last of the Magpies (Magpies, #3)
  • A Murder of Magpies (The Magpies, #2)
  • The Devil's Work
  • In Her Shadow
  • The Magpies (The Magpies, #1)
  • The Lucky Ones
  • Because She Loves Me
  • The Retreat
  • Kissing Games
  • The Assistant
  • Here To Stay
  • The First Wife
  • In Her Eyes
  • Bred in the Bone (Widow's Island #4)
  • The Dilemma
  • Safe House

Kate Maddox (2 books)
  • All Fall Down (Kate Maddox, #2)