Start by marking “Tollesbury Time Forever” as Want to Read:

Nothing is real
And there's nothing
To get hung about

sing the children...

In September 2008 I accompanied the police as they entered a house in Tollesbury. I was a psychiatric nurse at the time. The owner of the house was one of my patients. He had not been seen for two weeks - neither had his wife or his son.

What I saw that evening will stay with me forever. O
Kindle Edition, First, 227 pages
Published January 3rd 2012 (first published August 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Tollesbury Time Forever, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tollesbury Time Forever

Carolyn
Jul 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: society
Be prepared for this novel to take you on a roller coaster of a ride! It's an amazing, poetical, whimsical gem of a book.

When Simon Anthony falls into a drunken stupor on the salt marshes near his home village of Tollesbury and tries to drown himself he is transported to an earlier, simpler time where he learns some truths about himself and how he wants to live his life. The tale is told as if in a dream or a drug induced trip with lovely lyrical writing and a sprinkling of references to rock m
Margaret (Margot)
Feb 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-comas
Amongst the fluff in the Kindle Free section, I ran across this novel. At the time it had 35 or so reviews, none of which were below 3. For me, this rating ratio invites me to read the reviews. I don’t particularly like to read the book descriptions because I like everything to be unknown when a book is started. That being said, I filter reviews for those that discuss why they liked the book rather than those that provide a synopsis of the book. On brief inspection, what I found was intriguing. ...more
Anthony Bellaleigh
Feb 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-faves
Stuart Ayris is, as mentioned elsewhere in reviews for this book, a spectacular poet. I found his use of descriptive language and metaphor entrancing. Honestly, there were times I simply had to stop reading so I could sit back and fully appreciate the beauty of some of the sentences...

Here is just a very quick example, lifted completely at random whilst I'm writing this review:

"His face was surely carved from the very earth itself; that mixture of dirt and debris, sand, silt, clay and stone tha
Tahlia Newland
This is an exquisite story about a man diagnosed with schizophrenia who heals himself by paying attention to his hallucinations. Beautifully written and flawlessly edited, it leaves you feeling somewhat purified and decidedly uplifted, not just by the beautiful language but also from the underlying theme that if we trust ourselves, we may find ourself more whole than we thought, or at least find a way to bring about that wholeness.
Simon's story exposes society's fear of those with a different ki
Elaine
Jul 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: like-it-like-it
I read this book a couple of years ago, at a time when everyone seemed to be whispering about this fantastical, lyrical, journey of a read called Tollesbury Time Forever, and there was something in the reverential awe surrounding it that made me realise I just had to jump on that bandwagon. Well, I was stunned and the only thing I can say is that everyone should read this book. When I first read it I can truthfully say that it was the first time I have been seriously moved to tears by a book sin ...more
Nancy Bevilaqua
Mar 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I've become reluctant to review books (especially books by living writers) lately, because it occurred to me that for one writer to review another's work is kind of like one parent critiquing another parent's child. In any case, I will not be writing bad reviews of any books; if I don't like something I read I'll just put it aside and forget about it.

But a few days ago I happened to read Stuart Ayris' Tollesbury Time Forever, and I was astonished by its beauty, its originality, its playfulness (
Marianne
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is just amazing. After reading it you'll never look at mental illness or yourself the same again. Stuart Ayris writes with such eloquence and beauty. My favorite qoute is a bit long but it speaks volumes for the eloquence of his writing. "For there is no Schizophrenia and there is no depression; no bi-polar disorder, personality disorder or post traumatic stress disorder. There is just life and trying to get through it. That is all. Look past the drugs and past the diagnosis, look deep ...more
Jane
Jan 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. I wish I had the words to express how wonderful the writing is and how great the story was. The way the music references were included, particulary the last Elvis one! I have never used my highlighting feature so much! Highly recommend it
Aunty Janet
Jan 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I adored this book!
The first part describes Simon's strange journey around the delightful village of Tollesbury, inhabited by weird and wonderful characters.
Part two is based around psychiatric reports and visits by psychiatric nurses, mainly to administer anti-psychotic medication. Simon also describes his life between such visits, using the knowledge he gained in the first part of the story, to gain a better understanding of his life and mental health.
Simon has been diagnosed with schizophreni
Emma
Jan 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If I had more stars then I would give this book more than 5. I thought it was absolutely wonderful!
The journey was an incredible one and will leave me thinking about it for a long time to come.
The writing was superb and the mix with poetry and lyrics was genius. The descriptive writing really bought Tollesbury and its charcters to life.
A truly enjoyable read that I will re-visit again and again!
eastwood  (do you feel lucky punk,well do ya)
not usually my type of book, but i would urge other people to read this totally enthralling story, the writing is absolutely vivid you could actually imagine yourself in tollesbury, i think i could probably find my way round the place.dont know anything more i can say about this book but, fantastic, fantastic, fantastic.
Cassian Brown
Sep 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
As the story in ‘Tollesbury Time Forever’ slowly made known its gut-wrenching nature, I began to think it time to re-read Keri Hulme’s ‘The Bone People’. This puts ‘Tollesbury’ in good company indeed, for Hulme’s novel won the 1985 Booker Prize.

So re-read ‘Bone People’ I did, and then Stuart Ayris’s ‘Tollesbury’ once more, for good measure (it was no chore). And quickly realised the two novels share much more than the same ugly subject matter, albeit in variation. In each, a Simon is a central c
Jud
Jan 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Tollesbury Time Forever really sets the scene of an idyllic English village, quaint and romantic. It almost makes you want to move to such a place yourself so in sunny weather or even in light rain you could go for walks to be at one with nature and to ponder the meaning of life. Perhaps with the odd profound thought drifting across your mind from time to time. However, for our main character Simon things do not stay this way, suddenly things are turned on their head.

Simon somehow ends up back i
Ally Atherton
Jun 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books that has been silently lurking inside my kindle for a good while and I finally decided to give it a go. How happy I am then to say what a remarkable read this is!

Simon Anthony has just been to his local pub and has managed to stagger his way to the Tollesbury salt marshes where his intention is to end his life.With the sound of The Beatles whizzing through his head everything stops and he falls head first into a new world where reality has had a big chunk bitten off.
Courtney
Jun 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Stuart Ayris' poetic prose hearkens to an earlier era of literature, but it is very much a modern tale. It is simultaneously beautiful and devastating, and I found myself reading quite slowly to savor the cadence and wonderful character descriptions. In an era where simpler-is-better sells, Ayris' style is a Monet hanging next to a rack of mass-produced greeting cards. Close up, the points are confusing and sometimes chaotic, but when you step back and view the entire picture, the already-lovely ...more
Robin Webster
Apr 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
As in most of the reviews of this book I am not going to give an outline of the story. Could it be because the story is so abstract or obscure that it makes it is difficult to get across? No, that’s not why. Then could it be that to give an outline would not convey the true meaning of the book? In a way, but not really. (If that makes sense) That would suggest it is one of those pretentious books by one of those authors that thinks he can change the world and Stuart Ayris certainly is not that. ...more
Mago (Mark)
Mar 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I've been thinking about a review for a couple of days now.
I am an alcoholic, I have had mental health issues tissues fissures in the past and present which I wouldn't have survived without the love of my darling wife and others. I would just like to thank Stuart for this wonderful novel.
Even though I have lived and breathed The Beatles since I was an egg and dislike their plonky-plonky tunes with a vengeance; I should give this more than 5*s but the real world wont allow it.
Megan
Jun 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was so strange that it's hard to really review it. All I can say is that it truly resonated with me. There are things said in the book that make so much sense to anyone who has struggled with mental illness. It was so odd and so beautiful and so sad and uplifting all at the same time.
Debbie McGowan
Jan 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
After almost five months, this morning I finished reading Tollesbury Time Forever. Perhaps because I got caught up in Tollesbury Time. Who knows? I don't.

I'm Facebook and Goodreads friends with the author, Stuart Ayris; indeed, it is because we share many of the same ideas about mental health that we became 'friends' and I thus decided to read this, the first instalment in the Frugality trilogy. And I'll admit that there were times, at around the 20-30% mark, that I was thinking 'Ah boo. I'm goi
Book-shelf Shelf
Jan 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Not sure this is my type of book, but this is a really good story of someone that is not considered normal and we are let into his life, his thoughts, pains and everything else in-between.

I found it hard going, but don't be discouraged as I am a mere simple person and this is a book for people who like a bit of guts in the pages, not pink fluffy clouds. Its a book that will make even the simplest of people realise that a bit of thought behind some things can be a good thing.
Although the book is
Elizabeth Larson
Nov 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
As other reviewers have said, I very nearly gave up on this book a time or two. I kept thinking the author was attempting to out-Kafka Kafka. It was the language itself that kept me reading, and not a small amount of curiosity as to the symbolism. I am so glad I kept reading to discover the simple yet powerful messages to be found. I noted that one reviewer carped about the Beatles quotes supposedly having all this meaning. Well, they do, especially for those of us who remember the times. It's n ...more
Kath Middleton
Jan 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is unlike any I've read before. It's poetic, literary, beautiful but not in any stuffy way that would put you off. It's accessible, wise, clever and funny. It has given me insights into mental health issues I would never have considered before. Simon doesn't tell his doctor all that he sees or hears but just all that he feels his doctor can cope with. Now I'd not have thought of that.
There are things in Simon's past that have pushed him to where he is today. Zachariah Leonard is a cha
Maureen
Apr 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Absolutely brilliant. Reading this book was a pure joy; an unbridled, life-affirming journey into all that is wonderful in between the pages of a book. Genuine, sincere and oh so beautiful. Big, big love for this book. I will not soon forget the time I spent with Simon - thank you, Stuart Ayris,for sharing your wonderous imagination with those of us lucky enough to have read this book, and thank you to my dear friend, Dede,for recommending this read. I am grateful for the experience and will be ...more
Vic Heaney
Jan 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Stuart Ayris is a genius. I know he is having trouble accepting that people love his book so much but he had better get used to it.

His writing is beautiful. He switches between styles seamlessly so that in reading Tollesbury Time Forever one is bewitched by Cervantes, John Lennon, Spike Milligan, Dylan Thomas and many other writers over the centuries.

I am knocked out by his book and unusually stuck for words. I may come back and add more when I have settled down.

This is a classic.
Rob
May 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really, really loved this story. The characterisation of the main character was superb. The narrative flowed beautifully and really gave a sense of wonder to some of the scenes described. The best part about this was what I believe to be the originality of the whole tale. I found it all pretty spellbinding. Brilliant.
Bridget
May 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. Got it for free from book bub and thought it sounded interesting--what a find! It reminds me a little of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest because of the psychological aspect, but it was just amazing. It was one of those books that kept me up thinking each night after I finished reading.
Marcus
Mar 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
@stuartayris Absolute literary perfection. The prose is dreamlike and shrouds the story in language that the reader cannot help but fall in love with. The book glides on at the pace of an English walk in the countryside and, like such a walk, you never want it to end.
Doreen
Oct 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommended by a friend. Was reluctant to read it but i'm so glad i did. It made me laugh,it made me cry and it gave me so much to think about. Definitely in my top ten favourite books.
Anne
Mar 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: senior-reads
A book of two distinct parts. Stick with the first section all the way through and prepare to be amazed. Will recommend for psychology students.
Richard Wall
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book, very highly recommended!

Stuart Ayris has a unique, lyrical style of writing that engaged this reader from the first page, and introduced characters that have become old friends.
Tollesbury Tome Forever by Stuart Ayris 2 26 Jan 27, 2012 10:03AM
  • The Survival of Thomas Ford
  • Only the Truth
  • A Fatal Verdict (The Trials of Sarah Newby, #2)
  • Ascension Day
  • All for One
  • Trade Secrets
  • Bluff
  • Jane Doe's Return
  • The Chain of Lies (Paradise Valley, #3)
  • Torn Apart (Hero, #1)
  • The Good Daughter (Vista Security, #1)
  • The Angry Woman Suite
  • Then Like the Blind Man: Orbie's Story
  • Bad Thoughts (Bill Shannon, #1)
I was born in the Summer of 1969 in Dagenham, just on the border of East London. School was largely unproductive so his early adult years were spent putting up stalls at Romford Market, working in a record shop, gardening and road sweeping.

After resigning from an insurance company to play in a band, I found myself unemployed for two years in the early nineties. It was during this time, at the age

Frugality (3 books)
  • The Bird That Nobody Sees (Frugality #2)
  • I Woke Up This Morning (FRUGALITY: Book 3

$3.49 $0.99
  • The Daughters of Palatine Hill
  • A House for Happy Mothers
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Poems (New Directions Paperbook)
    $11.95 $2.99
  • The Drowning Guard
  • Anathema
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Neverhome
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Sinner: A Paradise Novel (The Books of History Chronicles)
    $11.49 $3.99
  • A Promise of Hope (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #2)
  • 'Round Midnight: A Novel
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Ulterior Motives (Sun Coast Chronicles, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Prisoner B-3087
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Midwife's Revolt (The Midwife Series, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Place of Peace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #3)
  • The Beekeeper's Promise
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Two-Family House
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Where Do I Go? (Yada Yada House of Hope, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Bloodletter's Daughter
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Gift of Grace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #1)
  • The Luxe (Luxe, #1)
    $3.74 $0.99
  • A Dream of Home (Hearts of the Lancaster Grand Hotel)
  • The Thing About Jellyfish
  • Somewhere in France: A Novel of the Great War
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Skin
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Endangered (Ape Quartet, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Inamorata
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Life of Joy (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #4)
  • The Poisonwood Bible
    $11.99 $11.99
  • Cometh the Hour (The Clifton Chronicles #6)
  • The Question of Red
  • A.D. 30 (A.D., #1)
    $7.99 $3.99
  • Karolina's Twins: A Novel
  • The Woman in the Dunes
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Illuminati: Roundtable of the Bosses (The Cartel #7)
  • The 158-Pound Marriage
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Chasing Rainbows: A Novel
    $3.99 $0.99
“There was talk in the fields about the witch in the woods, but go see her? No one would dare. So I thought to myself I’d sneak out one night to see what I could find there.   I slipped from my straw, jumped over the gate, a candle alight in my hand. I went to the woods at the edge of the park as the moon fell down on this land.   I walked through the trees, so scared and alone, though with hope in the back of my mind. As I saw a small light and smoke rising high I wondered what I would find.   I walked up to a door but before I could knock, it opened with a creak and a squeak. There stood a woman all dressed in white; I felt completely unable to speak.   I sat on a chair by the side of a fire whilst she looked fondly at me. ‘Are you a witch?’ I asked her at last. And she said ‘I may possibly be.   But don’t be afraid I just prefer it out here Away from experienced minds. I live with my innocent, simple, sweet thoughts That are pure and gentle and kind.’   I was a little confused So I said to her now, ‘How do you even survive?’ She said to me softly ‘Just love, my young man, It is only on love that I thrive.’   ‘What can I do?’ I said to her now ‘So I can be just like you?’ ‘What, wearing a dress? Clad only in white? I’m sure you’d look better in blue!’   ‘No,’ I said, laughing, ‘To feel just like you Where everything seems so right.’ She thought for a while, And closed her deep eyes As the full moon shed its fair light.   ‘All I can say Is open your mind, The world is more than you know. Look deeper than deep, Be a dreamer, my boy, And give love wherever you go.   When others hurt you, Accept that it hurts, Have faith in the bad and the good. Walk with the soul And the eyes of a child You will always be safe in these woods.   As for the world That lies there outside, Remember the words that I’ve said. Keep them inside Your heart and your mind And by them may you be led.   Soon others will see There is no such thing As being too nice or too kind. And then one fine day, When more are like you, I can leave this sweet glory behind.’   So when I got home I thought of the woman That had entered my life that dark night. I will walk tall forever With the eyes of a child, To the blackness of life I’ll bring light.” 1 likes
“Beauty is as beauty is. It is no more complicated than that. The moment you try to understand some things is the moment you break the spell.” 1 likes