Start by marking “Sabbath Creek” as Want to Read:
Sabbath Creek

Sabbath Creek

Sabbath Creek is the story of Lewis Pope, a fourteen-year-old boy thrust into an adult world when his beautiful mother takes him on an aimless journey through south Georgia. Cerebral and sensitive, Lewis is forced to confront the latent fears-scars left from the emotional abuse of an alcoholic father and the lack of comfort from a preoccupied mother- that crowd his interio ...more
Published June 6th 2005 by Mariner Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Sabbath Creek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sabbath Creek

Laura Brown
Feb 05, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm assuming this is a young adult novel due to its length, depth of character development, and overall storyline and themes. I'd like to say that it gives the book a bit of a handicap, but there are many other chapter books I'd put before this one for a young teen audience. That said, this is a quick read and may resonate for young readers grappling with family drama or a divorce (though unintentionally killing your dad is not a typical happy ending).

For me, it felt like the story climaxed abo
Saige Holcomb
Dec 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I think "Sabbath Creek" was very inspiring. I like the part at the end when Lewis’s mother holds him when he came back that was a touching moment. I think the saddest part of the book was when Lewis’s father died in an accident. I think Lewis and his mother made a mistake running from him in the story.

"Sabbath Creek" is about a mother and a son who try to get away from an alcoholic father. Lewis the 14 year old son has a little adventure. He met a girl named Eva and a 93 year old man that lives
Natalie
Oct 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
This feels like a YA book given the lack of detail. I feel like everything needed to be fleshed out a lot more because, while I kind of liked the story, it felt sorta rushed.
Jeff
Feb 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, southern-lit
From my blog:

Judson Mitcham, Sabbath Creek (Orlando: Harcourt, 2004), 169 pages

“My mother asked if he had lived in Sabbath Creek all his life. ‘Not yet.’†Stroud’s answers were often allusive. Over the days Lewis and his mother Charlene were stranded in the town, they came to know the old black man who ran the ran-down motel. It was a memorable week at the end of a trip through Georgia as Lewis’ mother fled an abusive marriage. Over a few days, Lewis experi
BJ
May 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book is about a fourteen year old boy who is thrown ito the real world. His name is Lewis Pope. He and his mother have car trouble and take it to a garage. They have to stay the night. So they go down the road to an old run down motel. The owner's name is Stroud. During the book he is a fatherly figure to Lewis. He teaches him all the secrets of Base ball. They play catch alot. The first time they play Stroud makes him warm up first. So he goes for a run. On his way he runs into a girl. The ...more
baron davis
Apr 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Sabbath creek is an exellent book. It is told in a strong caring tone.It is about a 14 year old boy Lewis Pope and his mother. Thier car broke down on a journey thru georgia to hide from her husband.The auto center took their car in and ripped them off by taking forever to fix it. Lewis and his mother stay in a motel owned by stroud. Lewis, his mom, and stroud became very close until lewis overheard her saying he was a mistake. he then runs away and comes back later, after eva encouraging him to ...more
83star
Mar 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people 13 and up
This is Sabbath Creek by the cover you may think it is a boring book but it is pretty good. So the story is about a young boy named Lewis Pope. He and his mother go on a long car drive because they are trying to get away from his father. They stop a different places. They get to meet new people and see new things. So one day they stop in this small town which is Sabbath Creek. They had to stop ther well because their car broke down.
They stay at this small motal. There they meet Truman Stroud.
Flakita94
May 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Sabbath Creek is a very good book. At first it seemed like it was going to be a boring book. It turned out to be very interesting. It's told by a thirteen year old named Lewis. He and his mother have been traveling all around Georgia. At the begging of the book your clueless. You don't know much about what's going on. All you know is that they are having problems and are running away from them.
This book is such a good book and has a very strong meaning. At the end you have the emotions you wou
NESSA KkRAZiiE CHiiKk*
This book is called Sabbeth Creek.This book is about a young boy nameed lewis.He and his mother move around in south georgia becuase they are trying to get away from their father and her husband even though they deny it. His mother has took him around almost all southern georgia. His father is an alchohlic adn thats why they are running away and he is trying to find them. Their car stops working so they have to give it to a repair man so he can fix it,. The repair is going to take some time to ...more
JoBeth
May 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Second book by Georgia author Judson Mitcham. An engrossing read, mother and 13 year old son running the back roads of Georgia to evade an abusive husband, told from the son't point of view. Mitcham seemed to capture the confusion, curiosity, torn loyalties, and fears of the narrator with accuracy and compassion.
Toughlove
May 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Sabbath Creek, was a good book.It was told in a first person point of view, and by Lewis.I did not expect to like the book, because to me the cover loooked not that interinsting. I would recommend this book, to other people.
Annet
May 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
I really liked this small story of a kid and a mother on a journey through south Gergia, meeting a ninety-three year old black owner of Sabbath Creek Motor court where they are stranded... great litttle story, great writing! I can see Morgan Freeman in this one's movie version...
Im Jasmine
Jun 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
this is another one of my foverite books. i like this book so much, i read it twice. i got this book from the library in the free books section and i thought it would be a dumb book but dont judge a book by its cover.
Amy