Start by marking “Notes from My Travels: Visits with Refugees in Africa, Cambodia, Pakistan and Ecuador” as Want to Read:

From the ever-intriguing and appealing actress Angelina Jolie comes the personal journals she compiled while performing humanitarian relief efforts in such countries as Sierra Leone and Tanzania, Pakistan and Cambodia.

Three years ago, award-winning actress Angelina Jolie took on a radically different role as a Goodwill Ambassador for the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (
Published October 1st 2003 by Gallery Books (first published 2003)

Candace
Mar 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
Jolie is not a talented writer by any means, but her accounts of her experiences are honest and straightforward. The beauty in the book is that there is no flowery language masking or embellishing what's going on. She simply states what she sees, and how she feels, and from that, our eyes are opened to what is going on in the various parts of the world she visits.
Marianne
Sep 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer - I like Angelina Jolie. I think that she's an amazing woman, a great actress and classier than certain people who feel the need to name-drop her in every other interview. That's partly why I read this and the other was that it gave me a significant push into Asia that I needed for my challenge.

Anyway, before Brangelina and all the kids Angelina Jolie was recruited as a UN Goodwill Ambassador for Refugees and as part of her duties she went travelling around the world to different area
Bonnie Rose
Sep 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: journalmemoir
I am proud to say I like Angelina Jolie when she was going through her 'weird stage' and some say she still is. In either case, she is someone I put as a role model because of the way she balances her life as a working woman, a mother, a humanitarian, a celebrity, etc. I love what she has done to help others and bring awareness to other places of the world. I love that she has adopted children who needed loving homes. This book is a must read.
Zabeth
Sep 24, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: finished
Makes you appreciate her humanitarian work. You will really get to know the other side of AJ, away from the glamor in hollywood, her compassion towards these people, her genuine motives in helping in whatever way she can to tell the world that there are millions out there in the other side of the planet who lives in misery. It makes you stop whatever you're doing and just say, I'm a lucky bitch compared to these people, so what can I do now to help even just on my own little way???
Kaitlyn Barrett
May 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: travel-related
This book should be titled “The education and awakening of Angelina Jolie” since the most interesting thing is the way she grows up between the beginning and the end.

Because she isn’t a writer, the shock and horror she experienced in Africa comes through in a more visceral way. She’s not trying to make us feel what she feels when she looks around at acres of dying refugees, she’s just trying to describe it to herself in some way that makes sense. I’m impressed by the fact that she requested her
Eileen Souza
Oct 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
Certainly not what you would expect from a Hollywood star. This is the story of Angelina Jolie, the Goodwill Ambassador for the UN. The story is told through journals that she wrote during visits that she took in 2001 and 2002 to Sierra Leone, Tanzania, Cambodia, Pakistan, and Ecuador.

As she says right off the bat, she's not a writer. The journals are short thoughts and memories that she was capturing each day. They are her thoughts as she experienced the interaction and stories of refugees all
Sara
Dec 27, 2010 marked it as travel
Favorite quotes:

"I think we all want justice and equality. We all want a chance for a life with meaning. All of us would like to believe that if we were in a bad situation someone would help us."

"Someone once said, 'You can learn more about someone in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.'"
Leang Ngov
Aug 14, 2007 rated it really liked it
I loved this book because I admire Angelina Jolie for what she's doing for the humanity. Of course, it doesn't hurt that I LOVE her as well. Anyway, it was interesting to know what was going on in her position since I've always wanted to be involved with refugee agency (most of my fam are refugees from Cambodia).
Isaura Pereira
Este livro não estava inicialmente nos meus planos para o mês. Mas aquando numa das muitas visitas à biblioteca vi este livro e achei que seria uma boa leitura adequado ao tema de viagens.

Novamente um livro de não-ficção onde a actriz Angelina Jolie conta um pouco das suas viagens humanitárias à Serra Leoa, à Tanzânia, ao Paquistão, ao Cambodja e ao Equador nos anos de 2001 e 2002.

Os relatos aqui apresentados são duros. As histórias de vida impressionantes, embora não explorasse muito este assun
Jan 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone!
Being a HUGE Angelina Jolie fan, I found this book to love her even more! She just proves to the world that she is seriously one of the most active and loving actresses out there. Her daily struggles helping refugees opened my eyes and I think everyone should read this book! Kudos!
Crystal
Jan 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This was a good and interesting book, but not a fast read. Reading Angelina Jolie's notes taken on some of her earlier trips as an ambassador for the United Nations High Commission on Refugees, reading about all the suffering, loss, and devastation she sees in the places she visits, was almost too much for me. I had to keep taking breaks and reading something lighter, so I could go back and read more later. I wonder how she could stand to actually be there and experience it, actually look in the ...more
Jan
Jan 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
Jolie's diary notes as Goodwill Ambassador for UNHCR (2002-2003). She went to Mamibia, Thailand, Ecuador, Tanzania, Sri Lanka, Cambodia, Kosovo. Angelina didn't travel as a movie star but took the simple path of a UNHCR worker. My husband was Amb. in Cambodia (the fellow mentioned in her chapter on Cambodia) when she was there and can testify to her earnest endeavor to learn all she could. He noted her note taking at the time. Ms Jolie began as a naive, privileged, rich young woman determined to ...more
Megan Carpenter
Aug 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is a heartfelt journal. The thoughts are raw, not softened by a ghostwriter. A true insiders view to worlds that we cannot imagine, war torn countries and the people that are punished because of it. This is an eye opening experience, one that had me tearing up in places, mad as hell in others, and overall grateful for what I have, and hopeful that I can provide help to an amazing organization in the future. Whatever you think you know of Angelina Jolie, this gives another view, and reminds ...more
Kathleen Maggs
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is my second read of Angelina’s Journals.

Journals. Journals. Journals.

I believe this is something people have missed. I’ve read reviews stating the writing isn’t great and they couldn’t get over that fact to read the book. That is incredibly sad as this book is brilliant.

It paints a true picture of Developing Countries and teaches you a few things about them. Her writing is honest and raw and even on the 2nd reading I still love it. Having traveled to some of these countries and voluntee
Denise
Dec 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book very much, although it tensed me at times, and made me cry at others. It's the story of many refugees around the world, and the humanitarian work Angelina Jolie has done to help them out. It's an account of her early years as Good Will Ambassador for the UNHCR.

I’m so impressed by the things that people can do to each other, and how the survivors of this hatred and spite keep on with their lives after such harsh and traumatic experiences stay tattooed on their souls. By the e
Lulu
Jun 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I knew Angelina Jolie wrote this book and had it published years ago. I was truly interested in her efforts and work, and on top of that I've always been a Jolie fan, but I didn't get a chance to pick it up until a few days ago.

She is such a compassionate, considerate, caring and amazing individual. I almost forgot I was reading a book written by a celebrity!

A thing I really liked about her journal was that she wasn't trying to be somebody she's not - in her own words in the introduction - "I am
Faye
Sep 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Angelina Jolie states right off the bat that she is not a writer, and this is evident throughout the book. Her sentences are disjointed, and at times she seems to repeat the mission and objectives of UNHCR over and over again like a mantra.

In spite of it, her lack of writing skill serves to augment the horror she sees at the refugee camps. At the time of her writing; she is a naive, privileged movie star who experiences another side of the world, a stark contrast from the glitz and glamour of he
Liralen
This was an unexpected pleasure. Part of that, I think, is that she's very cognizant of what the book is and what it isn't, and then also of what her capacity with UNHCR is and isn't.

How could we ever pretend to know what is best for a people if we have no clear relationship with them? (page 104)

Jolie traveled primarily as an observer, with the intent of learning as much as possible about refugee situations and raising awareness at home. She wasn't there to 'fix' anything or provide more than th
Amy
Jun 13, 2008 rated it liked it
Angelina Jolie was named Goodwill Ambassador for the United Nations High Commisioner for Refugees on August 27, 2001. This book is comprised of her journals from her visits with refugees in Africa, Cambodia, Pakistan, and Ecuador. She admits that she is not a writer, but this book is effective nonetheless, eye-opening, and very sad. It's nice to see a celebrity do some good with their wealth and good fortune. I just wish she would have listed some resources or let her readers know know how they ...more
Sheila
Mar 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
Very moving journal. I have a lot of respect for Ms. Jolie's work with and for refugees.
Osio
Sep 03, 2018 added it
Angelina Jolie is a writer. Don't doubt.
Erika Dragu
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Angelina Jolie is undoubtedly a gorgeous woman in every way. She could just easily choose to chill in her luxury home or go on shopping sprees and enjoy her title as being the most beautiful woman on Earth. But no, she chooses to direct meaningful movies, raise six children AND go on humanitarian missions to poor and dangerous countries, helping refugees. And the places she visits are full of victims of war, traumatized people, amputees, ill people- not an easy sight for anyone. Most of the plac ...more
Neha
Dec 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: on-my-book-shelf
The book is a journal written by Angelina Jolie during her visits to UNHCR camps in Africa, Cambodia, Pakistan and Ecuador in the early 2000's. Most parts of it are written at the moment and as you read it's almost as if you are witnessing the occurrences around her with her. Some of the atrocities she writes about especially against young children are horrifying and extremely disturbing. When you read about the genocides and other horrible cases of human violence you wonder how can human beings ...more
ebookwyrm
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've been reading this book on and off since July 2005, for 12 years. This is because I find the first hand insight to much to bear reading more than a handful of pages at a time.
Angelina is not an author, this is not an autobiographical book. It is exactly what the title says; Notes from My Travels: Visits with Refugees in Africa, Cambodia, Pakistan and Ecuador. So, in essence this is excerpts from a diary or journal that Angelina kept during her travels at the beginning of her UN Ambassador ca
Mitch
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book covers four brief visits Angelina Jolie took to see first-hand the conditions facing refugees in four countries. She did this an a Goodwill Ambassador for the U.N.

Angelina admits she is not a writer and that these are just notes she took during those visits. I at first wondered if someone ghost-wrote the book for her, but the writing was so elementary that it convinced me that she wrote it.

Nevertheless, she expressed her emotional responses quite eloquently. She also delivered facts an
Susan
Oct 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read2016
Angelina Jolie is not a writer but she had explicitly stated this in the beginning. This is her journal, noting down her experiences as visited with Refugees in Africa, Cambodia, Pakistan and Ecuador. This was such a rewarding read and it highlighted how much more we as humans need to do to help our most vulnerable.

Angelina Jolie has highlighted that just because someone is an actress it does not mean they cannot have any opinions or concerns outside of the frame of acting (imagine if someone s
Cristy Wojdac
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Her descriptions are exactly how I felt on my visit to Africa. It really came back to me powerfully to read her words. I wish more people could have these experiences, it would make the world a better place if more people understood.
Kellen Foord
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Made me feel like I was travelling with her
Joanna
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A good and informative read. Good for tweens and teens to read in this "entitled" generation. This book makes you appreciate what we have as a people, family, and country.
red_phlower
Sep 09, 2017 rated it did not like it
Idk..... it was boring
  • Another Day in Paradise: International Humanitarian Workers Tell Their Stories
  • Darfur Diaries: Stories of Survival
  • Not On Our Watch: The Mission to End Genocide in Darfur and Beyond
  • Asylum Denied: A Refugee's Struggle for Safety in America
  • And Still Peace Did Not Come: A Memoir of Reconciliation
  • Heart of Darfur
  • A Mighty Heart: The Brave Life and Death of My Husband, Danny Pearl
  • Children of Cambodia's Killing Fields: Memoirs by Survivors
  • A Dragon Apparent: Travels in Cambodia, Laos & Vietnam
  • However Long the Night: Molly Melching's Journey to Help Millions of African Women and Girls Triumph
  • Emergency Sex (And Other Desperate Measures): True Stories from a War Zone
  • Around the Bloc: My Life in Moscow, Beijing, and Havana
  • Children of War
  • Vietnam
  • Hope in Hell: Inside the World of Doctors Without Borders
  • The World is Moving Around Me: A Memoir of the Haiti Earthquake
  • Fear Up Harsh: An Army Interrogator's Dark Journey Through Iraq
  • The Lost Boys of Sudan: An American Story of the Refugee Experience
Angelina Jolie (born Angelina Jolie Voight) is an American film actor and a Goodwill Ambassador for the UN Refugee Agency. She is often cited by popular media as one of the world's most beautiful women and her off-screen life is widely reported. She has received three Golden Globe Awards, two Screen Actors Guild Awards, and an Academy Award.

In 2003, Jolie published Notes from My Travels, a collect