Start by marking “Molecular Biology of the Cell” as Want to Read:
Molecular Biology of the Cell

Molecular Biology of the Cell

4.31  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,416 Ratings  ·  72 Reviews
Molecular Biology of the Cell is the classic in-dept text reference in cell biology. By extracting the fundamental concepts from this enormous and ever-growing field, the authors tell the story of cell biology, and create a coherent framework through which non-expert readers may approach the subject. Written in clear and concise language, and beautifully illustrated, the b ...more
Hardcover, Fourth Edition, 1616 pages
Published March 1st 2002 by Garland Science (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Molecular Biology of the Cell, please sign up.

Sexy Scientist A eukaryotic nucleus has dsDNA associated with histone and NHC proteins. There are many enzymes, receptors, etc. for the replication, gene expression…moreA eukaryotic nucleus has dsDNA associated with histone and NHC proteins. There are many enzymes, receptors, etc. for the replication, gene expression and their regulation. And finally, there are finished and unfinished products of replication and transcription viz. snRNA, mRNA, etc.
Were you joking when asking this question (as your username suggests)? (less)
Animal Models in Cardiovascular Research by David R.  GrossAtlas of Human Anatomy by Frank H. NetterDavidson's Principles & Practice of Medicine by Nicholas A. BoonMacLeod's Clinical Examination [With DVD and Access Code] by Graham DouglasOxford Handbook of Clinical Medicine by Murray Longmore
Medical books
16th out of 78 books — 75 voters
The Blind Watchmaker by Richard DawkinsLehninger Principles of Biochemistry by Albert L. LehningerSilent Spring by Rachel CarsonTrilobite! by Richard ForteyBorn Free by Joy Adamson
Biologia
107th out of 113 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Anne
Jul 27, 2010 Anne rated it it was amazing
This is both a fantastic introduction to cell biology and a wonderful resource - it's really a foundation text. The writing is lucid and the illustrations are wonderful. Also, there's enough introduction to higher level science to make it possible to read journals and not be utterly gobsmacked.
R
Jan 27, 2013 R rated it it was amazing
In my opinion, the most worthwhile book anyone can own. The culmination of thousands of lifetimes of work. Comprehensible and complete.
Maria
May 10, 2007 Maria rated it liked it
Shelves: science
Great figures. My biggest problem with this text is that it is really heavy. I actually dropped it and broke two toes.
Nu-Jahat-Jabin
Jun 15, 2016 Nu-Jahat-Jabin rated it it was amazing
রিয়েল লাইফ হরর বুক!!!
কঠিন, দূরবোধয, বিশাল বিশাল সেনটেস যেটার শুরু কই আর শেষ কই বুঝা যায় না!!! বইটা পড়ে একবারে কিছু বুঝা যাবে এই আশা করা বোকামি, একটা বইকে যত ভাবে বোধের অগময করা যায় করেছে। -_-
কঠিন কঠিন শবদ (মিনিমাম হাজার জি আর ই শবদ আছে) । টপিক সব কাছাকাছি একসামে চায় এক জিনিস লিখে আসি আর আরেকটা, শুধুমাতর টপিকে ঘোল খেয়ে ।সরবোপরি আমার মত নিরীহ বিদযারথীর পয়েনট কমানো ছাড়া কাজে লাগে না!!!
ইহা এমনি এক বই যেখান থেকে টিচাররাও পরশন পযাচানোর চিনতা করেন না!!!
আশা করি এই ইয়ারের পর এই বই আর পড়তে হবে না
আফসোস হই
Agustina Dapueto
Biology is the love of my life, so I loved the content even though I had to study for an exam from this book, which makes the reading experience a little more tedious. That takes me to my next point, as a student I found that I didn't really like the organization and the general structure of the chapters. That issue led to repetitive paragraphs and confusing sections which is not the best thing to happen when you're studying for a test because the key to properly understanding biology is the lin ...more
Rob
Mar 29, 2009 Rob rated it it was amazing
I learned a lot from this book. I give it a 5 because it is a great paper weight. No, really; it's a tremendous resource, and books like this are about all I've read between 2000 and 2008.
Natalia
Jul 01, 2016 Natalia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: facultad, science
La biblia para todo biólogo!!!!!!!!!
Barry
Aug 16, 2008 Barry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biology
The biology professor who recommended it to me summarized it as follows: "Whenever there's a cell biology issue where I want a 'Scientific American' level summary of current research, this the book I turn to." It is gorgeous.

The only downside is that this is not a textbook necessarily suitable for an evolutionary molecular biology course. Mutations are covered well, but not as well as (say) the DNA repair mechanism. Still, a very accessible textbook that written well enough to be read cover to
Frederico
Apr 01, 2014 Frederico rated it really liked it
It is a really nice book. Enable you to understand not so basic cell functions.
Gnul1nux
May 12, 2007 Gnul1nux rated it it was amazing
Such a readable text is a joy and a rarity.
Case Chun
Aug 07, 2016 Case Chun rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. It was one of the most comprehensive cell biology books that served as a great reference for the start of my biology career.
Nina Jaquelle
Feb 19, 2014 Nina Jaquelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: medicine-related
By tagging this book as 'read' I am not implying that I read the whole mass of 1616 pages... :)I used it for chapters that were loosely explained in our lecture notes to enhance my understanding of the subject. The Cell is a great reference book with a surprisingly interesting narrative and super helpful pictures, diagrams, sketches etc. As a med student I also liked the fact that the topics were explained very generally at first before the authors delved into details, which spared me loads of t ...more
Bernhard
Mar 04, 2016 Bernhard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Why read the bible if you could read this instead?
Rohit
Feb 17, 2012 Rohit rated it it was amazing
Must read book for all undergraduate Cell Molecular Biology students. Very simple representation of fundamental concepts. It also contains good question bank. Good content, Simple Language, Clear and elaborated images, overall The Best.
James
Jul 30, 2012 James rated it it was amazing
The most awesome science textbook I have ever read. I *loved* The Cell, and I loved my physics, and college biology books. This book actually changed me. It was worth studying to look at the world completely differently forever after.
David
Jan 11, 2015 David marked it as to-read
Shelves: stem, programming
As recommended by Alan Kay to learn about systems
Arwa
Mar 05, 2013 Arwa rated it it was amazing
i could never stop reading this book i would keep reading it even if i finished i will read it agin and again
Dhafir Fayadh
Jul 08, 2013 Dhafir Fayadh rated it it was amazing
Well written, and comprehensive. Its my favourite mol. Cell bio text.
Sunetra
Aug 27, 2011 Sunetra rated it it was amazing
read end to end for my GBOs...lol
Cocopebbles
Aug 24, 2011 Cocopebbles rated it it was amazing
What's not to like?
Snou
Dec 14, 2015 Snou rated it it was amazing
Wow! It seemed impossible at first, but now I've read through this "little one" completely. By far my favorite study book. I also appreciate the page material, which is thick and absorptive enough to allow multiple rounds of highlighting.
Panda
Jun 20, 2015 Panda rated it it was amazing
I obviously didn't read this cover to cover but I used it as material for my BSc final exam in cell biology and it was a very enjoyable read, despite there being so much to take in. A must have for all undergrad bio-/medicine students.
Dec 18, 2015 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read much of this book as part of my Cell Biology class. Really feel like I know so much more about molecular biology now after the class and feel as though it will help prepare me for my path towards a health-centered career.
Anthony
Dec 16, 2014 Anthony rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Accurate, clear, but occasionally goes on tangents beyond what is necessary to cover.
Niti Dhingra
Apr 07, 2015 Niti Dhingra rated it it was amazing
A life saver for all biology students
Hekmehmet
Jun 30, 2015 Hekmehmet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very nice and usefull
Michiel
THE book about cells...
Elisabeth
Jan 15, 2010 Elisabeth rated it it was ok
Having selected "read" I am not saying that I read the entire book (it is quite lengthy). I purchased this book for one class and I rarely used it. I did not find it useful or compatible with the way in which my professor taught the class. The book seemed difficult to follow... I think it could have been put together in a different way. Possibly if I had just sat down to read it the book would have seemed more cohesive, but it did not mesh well with the order in which my professor was teaching. ...more
Digbijoy Deb
  • Histology: A Text and Atlas: With Correlated Cell and  Molecular Biology
  • The Biology of Cancer
  • Organic Chemistry

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »