Start by marking “The Average Indian Male” as Want to Read:
The Average Indian Male

The Average Indian Male

2.24  ·  Rating details ·  160 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
NAME: AVERAGE INDIAN MALE;

LATIN NAME: manush, purush, aam aadmi, Bunty.

Cyrus is back. And this time as agony aunt and master critic as he sets out to deconstruct a subjust we're all familiar with - the average Indian male.

The mama's boy, the groin scratcher, the man who holds hands with another man, Cyrus tackles these and many other quirks and shortcomings of Indian men i
Published 2011 by Random House India

To ask other readers questions about The Average Indian Male, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Average Indian Male

Santhosh
Jul 03, 2012 rated it did not like it
Tired, drawn out, cliched satire about the paan-spitting, urinating, farting, skinny-legged, short, mama's boy. The only redeemable thing about it are the large fonts and less pages.
Sita
Dec 20, 2011 added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This book was terrible. The jokes were terrible. The writing was terrible. The way it was set outwas terrible. But god was this book fucking hilarious!
Ashwin
Dec 23, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Often, when one picks up such a book, he doesnt expect a captivating story or an instructive moral. Instead, he hopes to be drowned in sweet frivolity and carefree humor. But Cyrus Broacha denies the reader such simple pleasures. The reader is subjected to a series of painful "letters" which are repulsive, both in terms of language and content. Broacha reminds us how easy it is write a book - words on paper - but how difficult it is to churn out a decent one. I am not snobbish when it comes to l ...more
Anusha Narasimhan
Nov 23, 2015 marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I really like Cyrus Broacha on TV shows. So, I had to pick up his book. Maybe I expected more out of him, but I did not find this book funny.

I did not like the way Indian men are portrayed. It just feels wrong. I struggled my way through 3 chapters and then gave up. I didn't need to read any more negative generalization about men.
Raga
Apr 03, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I wish I could give it a minus rating. The book was a total waste of my time and money. I was duped into buying it at Delhi airport as it was on the top 'Best sellers' shelf. Please don't waste your time reading it, even if you get it for free.Put it in your fireplace, atleast it will give you some warmth.
Anuradha Goyal
Jan 31, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I don't understand his kind of humour, detailed review here: http://www.anureviews.com/the-average...
Ashwini Nocaste
May 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I enjoyed this book. That's all.

But keeping in tune with the high tradition of appearing very analytical with reviews, here is my go at it.

This book has received the following criticisms. Let us undertake a critical review of the critical reviews of the critical review of the Average Indian Male. The third mention of the critical review, of course, refers to the 8th century BC treatise by Cyrus Broacha.

1) Terrible writing
Hey, all sentences were properly
Ritu Raveendran
Ok so this book started in a really good way and it is Hilarious !!

With a capital H !!!!

But then it starts getting really really annoying and ofcourse totally off topic where the letters have nothing that is even closely related to the name of the book ! Specially the letter from the senior executive of G E MOTORS

Well i rated this book 3 stars because well

I DIDNT EXPECT ALL THAT

MUCH !!!

after all it is CYRUS BROACHA that your reading right !!!

You cant expect sulman rushdie stuffs from hi
S.Ach
Sep 07, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour, indian-author
To all those who rated or planning to rate this book only one star (probably because there is no possibility to give less than 1 star in goodreads), here is one tip for how you could have liked this book better.

This book is not supposed to be read in one sitting, though the book entices for exactly that.
Keep the book over your toilet cistern. Two, maximum three, chapters should be attempted at one go.
Then, there is teeny weeny possibility the star rating would increase to 'two stars'. But, tha
Anand Koppar
Good for a read on a lazy summer day in your free time when you have absolutely nothing else to read. Also good to give as a gift to your trusted pals abroad who can have a laugh about Indian men and their antiques according to Cyrus Broacha. Tell them that this is a jocular account of what Indian men and culture can be like. Although some facts are true and annoying, most of the other stuff is fun to read if you are okay with being made a mockery about yourself. Still, credit to Cyrus for not o ...more
Priyank Acharya
In the review posted in good reads , someone was very correct in pointing out that you can not expect a Rushdie from Broacha. The flow of the book is poorly constructed , often gets repetitive in satirical arguments. However, three star rating that i gave has a more to do with the time when he was a lone stand up comedian and satirist on TV. Of course , the humor sense seems out dated now. However, this book makes an effort to make one nostalgic to humor sense prevailing in mid and late 90's.
Freya
Jan 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: indian-authors
You can read the full review here on my blog - Book Review: The Average Indian Male by Cyrus Broacha

The book is a fast read and humourous in places too. I DIDN’T laugh loud once through the book though I did smile sometimes but those were rare and in-between.

Over-all – OK! Cyrus could have been much better and more himself. Definitely not worth a second read!
Vibha
Nov 16, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I thought because it is Cyrus the book is going to be spectacularly funny. It is in some parts. I have laughed out really loud. But then the flow of the book is under constructed.

The contents did not stick to the topic. Got a sense that he wanted to fit in a lot of stuff in one book. Slightly disappointed as the book did not leave me with a satisfaction when I finished reading.
Tushar
Sep 11, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Obviously not literature but just a stress buster. The book gave me an afternoon of laughter and that's about it. Leave your brains and read this one. Big Font Size and less pages makes it for a quick read. Took me just 3 hours, do try this one.
Freeda Lobo
Jan 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ridiculously funny!
Sesha Simha M V
Feb 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
Classic Broacha. Not as funny as I hoped it'd be. Funny in parts nonetheles.
Abhinav Srivastava
hilarious
Confirmed Neurotic
If it was possible to give a zero star, i would have happily obliged.
Tushar Bisht
Jan 16, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour
I think blogs are more entertaining then this book.
Nothing funny, below average humour a few chuckles here was all it is havin.
Aditya Garg
Dec 08, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Weird!! Honestly speaking, I find it weird. The humour is not up to the mark. Not standing up to Broacha's standards. Disappointed.
Achala
Nov 24, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: light-reading
Cyrus writes like he talks. Loads of nonsense with a tiny bit of biting humour mixed in. Not worth the time it takes to read..
Srikanth
May 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Having been familiar Cyrus's work on TV, I knew what I was up to and I wasn't disappointed. Funny, nonsensical and sometimes insightful rants.
Gayathri
Sep 19, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Cyrus might be a funny man on T.V. but on paper he was far from it. The book definitely makes you chuckle in places but the storyline is weak and doesn't interest you after a certain point of time.
Apoorva Nataraj
Jun 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hillarious! I had tears of laughter reading it!
Madhava Chandra
Madhav
Jul 31, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Romance on Facebook
  • The Cat Who... Omnibus 06 (Books 14-16): The Cat Who Wasn't There / The Cat Who Went Into the Closet / The Cat Who Came to Breakfast
  • My Friend Sancho
  • The Collected Novels: Train To Pakistan, I Shall Not Hear The Nightingale, Delhi
  • Married But Available
  • You Are Here
  • The Lost Flamingoes of Bombay
  • The Japanese Wife
  • Trust Me: a romantic comedy set in Bollywood
  • The First Victim (Boldt/Matthews, #6)