Start by marking “Night Shift” as Want to Read:
Night Shift

Night Shift (Jill Kismet #1)

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  6,753 Ratings  ·  409 Reviews
Not everyone can take on the nightside. Not everyone tries. But Jill Kismet is not just anyone. She’s a Hunter, trained by the best — and in over her head. Welcome to the night shift . . .

Praise for Lilith Saintcrow's Dante Valentine series:

“This is the ultimate in urban fantasy!” - Romantic Times (Top Pick)

“Saintcrow’s distinctive heroine is a tough, sarcastic, deadly swo
Audio CD
Published November 1st 2012 by Brilliance Audio (first published July 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Night Shift, please sign up.

Kathleen This series was written after the Dante Valentine series, but they are separate entities and do not take place in the same universe. I heard the same…moreThis series was written after the Dante Valentine series, but they are separate entities and do not take place in the same universe. I heard the same thing, and have read both, but I'm honestly not sure where that conclusion came from. As far as I'm concerned they're two different stories. If there's an official answer that says otherwise, I'm not sure.
As to your second question, it's more like a Cassandra Palmer as you described. Each book has a different mystery to solve, but there is an overarching plot that's wrapped up in the end.
Happy reading! =D(less)

Denisa
3.5 Ok, I admit, this one was a bit of a surprise.

What I expected is this:

I got something like this:

So yup, it was a pretty good book. It was fast paced, I had no time to get bored or to skim. And I liked the idea, I liked the characters. For some reason, I liked the lame male character. And the good part is that it made me curious about what's going to happen, and that doesn't happen as often as I'd like.
Kati
The first book in Saintcrow's "Jill Kismet" series. I liked it well enough to try out book two, but I did have some major issues with Jill - I like my heroines strong and capable, not bitchy and condescending. And her "woe is me" attitude to her pact with Perry - well, nobody forced her to sell her soul to a demon in exchange for super powers. Tough, girl, live with it. Also, her moaning about Mikhail's death on every single page got old pretty fast too. "Mikhail, oh, Mikhail... No, don't think ...more
Courtnie
"Cities need people like us, those who go after things the cops can’t catch and keep the streets from boiling over. We handle nonstandard exorcisms, Traders, hellbreed, rogue Weres, scurf, Sorrows, Middle Way adepts . . . all the fun the nightside can come up with."

Jill Kismet is a Hunter and if you've ever read an urban fantasy before I'm sure you can guess what that title implies, my quote notwithstanding. She's a very typical bad ass female lead with a enough back-story to create a
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*
3.5

The story has a lot going on...but it's confusing. Jill is a Hunter, a rare human that fights monsters and hellbreed who walk the earth and sometimes get out of line. Since she's accepted a mark from the master hellbreed of the series, she is tainted but with improved power and survival capacity. The book opens with her grieving her deceased teacher, which is a large part of the current story. Since the kille
Felicia
I read this BEFORE the Dante Valentine series, and I think it would have helped a lot to read the other series first, understand the world better. I still enjoyed it. On book 2 now.
Madison
Apr 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
3.75🌟
Kate (Nomalicious Reads)
I love Lilith's Strange Angels series, and saw this and decided to give it a go, so i start reading and my first thoughts after the prologue is W..T..F?

It feels as if I'm reading a second or third book in a series when the author is sure that her/his readers know the concept of their world and doesn't need to explain everything...

THIS IS THE FIRST BOOK... NOT THE SECOND OR THIRD!!!

Then I went to read some reviews and found out that to understand it better you need to have read her previous serie
Joshua
Jun 17, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ehh, don't bother
Jill Kismet is a hunter. She belongs to a small group of humans that have trained in the art of killing and hunt the things that go bump in the night. Sound familiar? Yeah, it should, since it's the plot of countless other urban fantasy novels!! Still, I have to hand it to Mrs. Saintcrow for trying to inject some new facets into this tired genre. Like her heroine sold her body to a demon which gives her supernatural powers. That's new right? No... yeah you're right.

What made this one even harder
aPriL does feral sometimes
My wrist burned. My wrist burned. My wrist burned. My wrist burned. My wrist burned. My wrist burned. My wrist burned. My wrist burned. My wrist burned. My wrist burned. My wrist burned. My wrist burned. My wrist burned. My wrist burned. My wrist burned. My wrist burned. My wrist burned. My wrist burned. My wrist burned. My wrist burned. My wrist burned. My wrist burned. My wrist burned. My wrist burned. My wrist burned. My wrist burned. My wrist burned. My wrist burned. Etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. ...more
Anita
This is a DARK urban fantasy set in the contemporary times in a city in the American southwest. This author also wrote the Dante Valentine series, which is also extremely dark and one of my favorites, though it is set far in the future. I was hoping with all my might that the Jill Kismet series would be set in the same world as the Dante Valentine series, just at a different point on the timeline, but alas, I wasn't that lucky.

Jill's world has always had supernatural aspects - weres, demons, di
Andrew
Jan 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Night Shift is Urban Fantasy gone hardcore. Protagonist Jill Kismet runs and guns her way through so many of Hell’s denizens you wonder why the Hellbreed ever stick their heads above the ground at all.

Jill is a hunter, a human trained to lay the smackdown whenever the supernatural starts messing with the normal world. She’s also chock full of demonic power thanks to a pact she made with a demon called Perry.

The entire book could have gone wrong at that point as a super strong, quick human protag
~Jessica~I'm a Hoodie Ninja~
ok...
I did not feel like I was reading the first book to this series. I felt like I was reading the second book of this series. Things that needed to be explained were not explained in depth. and the things that were explained...well who cared? Every other paragraph was about her charms tinkling in her hair and her scar burning.

I didn't even know who her teacher was until I was pages into it. She just kept referencing to Mickael or however you spell it and I had no idea who he was.

All the flash
Nichole (DirrtyH)

I enjoyed this book quite a bit but it took me forever to read for some reason. I'm hoping it suffered a little from "1st in a series" syndrome and the rest will pick up a little bit.

Jill is a Hunter - she keeps her city safe from demons, aka hellbreed. But in order to be the best Hunter she can be, she has made a deal with the numero uno demon in town. He lends her extra strength, power and uber fast healing ability in exchange for a couple hours a month of her time. He has a bit of a
Marianne
While I did not find the first Jill Kismet novel as fascinating as the first Dante Valentine, it was still pretty darn good.

Unlike Dante's sci-fi/futuristic world, Jill lives in an alternate, present day universe. Religion plays a bigger part in people's everyday lives, probably because of the beings that go bump in the night; namely the hellspawn, and the humans known as "traders", who barter their souls for favors.

It is Jill's job to bump back, hard. Jill is a former prostitute, saved and men
Jess
Dec 10, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
This was an interesting story. Jill Kismet is a hunter, which is bascially a exorcist/demon killer/protector of innocent/sorceress. She has traded with a hell breed (demon) for some extra powers, and once a month she has to go to him for an hour, and beat him up. (Not sure why he wants that, I think he wants Jill to become evil or something). Anyway, there is a hellbreed that is on the loose and killed 5 cops. Tore them to pieces and left those pieces on a major highway. Jill has been called in ...more
Meigan
First, let me start by saying that I read some reviews for this book and there are quite a few people who mentioned it would have helped in understanding the current story/world if they had read Saintcrow's Dante Valentine series first. While it may have helped in getting a feel for the author's writing style, Danny's world and Jill's aren't the same. Dante's is futuristic, complete with gadgets, weird fabrics, technologically enhanced modes of transportation, which makes everything feel markedl ...more
Rhianna
Feb 05, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Take the basics of Anita Blake circa books 4-10, sprinkle in a tiny dash of early Rachel Morgan (The Hollows), a pinch of Joanna Archer (Signs of the Zodiac) and bake it in an Underworld crust and you'd get Jill Kismet.

Marked by a Hellbreed, Jill Kismet has something the other Hunters don't: an edge. The only trouble is that being tied to Perry through his mark also means she owes him. Once a month she gets to spend some quality time with the sort of bad guys she goes out to kill every night. W
Kathy Davie
First read 27 October 2010.

This was good. There were a lot of parallels with other sci-fi novels I've been reading. Jill Kismet is a blend of Faith Hunter’s Jane Yellowrock, Ilona Andrews’ Kate Daniels, and Julie Kenner's Lily in that they are all experienced, capable women with a hard past behind them and interesting love lives.

The weres in Night Shift remind me of Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunter series, Keri Arthur's Riley Jenson, and Charlaine Harris' Stackhouse series.

The story itself takes
Kat
Feb 13, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Basic plot: demon-hunter-badass chick kills demons. 'Nuff said.

General impression: not particularly original, but not uninteresting. Our hero here is a hunter- apparently part of some loose affiliation with the church and the police. I say apparently because the book lacks exposition. There is never an actual job description for her, or of what she went through to become a hunter. There are snippets, but I kept feeling as if I'd missed something important. Like a whole book giving the necessary
Rebecca
Dec 22, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What a terrible book! The story was dull, and the writing repetitive and uninspired. I skimmed the last 50 pages, and it took me a long time to read this book, it was just so dull. I should have found something else, but I have a hard time not finishing a book. The use of italics drove me nutty; a good writer doesn't need to use italics to emphasize a word, plot point, or situation. How many times do I need to hear about her wrist scar, etheric force, or her leather coat? The author even include ...more
Jaana
*3,5*

Salamyhkäinen, hieman synkkä ja ehdottomasti toiminnallinen loppuun asti. Maailma oli jännittävä elämän ja kuoleman, maan ja Helvetin sekä muiden yliluonnollisten asioiden kuten demonien ja ihmissusien kanssa. Hyvä aloitus ja kyllä jatkan sarjan parissa. Pericles ja hänen osansa tässä tarinassa vei useasti huomioni muista!
a_tiffyfit
Feb 22, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-readable
gotta love an asskicking female. Liked her a bit more than Dante Valentine since she doesn't seem to whine so much or question. She DOES do that and it is annoying, but not nearly so much as Dante whom I was yelling at to "JUST TRUST JAPH! HE'S THE LOVE OF YOUR FRICKIN LIFE!" This one has more gumption.
Booknut
Positively in love with this book - with a kick-ass heroine, heart-wrenching tragedy, tonnes of sharp weapons, cute weres and twisted mysteries to solve, it's the perfect novel to snuggle up with and read deep into the night.
Catherine Milos
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the character Lilith Saintcrow writes here. She's whole, but with a past. She knows who she is, and she's not embarrassed or ashamed. A strong female hunter character in an urban paranormal world.
Snarktastic Sonja
I have so far only read the first book in this series although I have the omnibus edition. It really inspired not much in me - neither massive love nor massive throwing of books (or even tablets) across the room. It held some very interesting concepts . . . including (but not limited to) the whole hunter of the supernatural thing . . . By nature of being a hunter (which is still *simply* a human - albeit a trained human), she is more capable of catching supernaturals (especially the demonic (hel ...more
Melliane
Nov 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4,5/5

Mon avis en Français

My English review

Vous connaissez tous mon goût pour la fantaisie urbaine, alors comment ne pas succomber à cette nouvelle série de Lilith Saintcrow ? Il faut dire qu’il y a tout, une héroïne comme on les aime, des démons, des garous et bien d’autres choses encore.

Jill Kismet est une jeune femme hors du commun. En effet depuis la mort de son professeur et seule personne qu’elle aimait, elle est devenue la chasseuse attitrée de la ville. Essayant de s’endurcir comme elle l
T. K. Elliott (Tiffany)
The real question is, what took me so long to get around to reading this book?

What I Liked
I thought Jill was great. Saintcrow has managed to write an urban fantasy heroine who is confident and independent, yet human. She has also managed to avoid writing an MC who is the kind of bitch you'd never want to work with: you know the type - the kind that makes every personal interaction into some kind of pissing contest, is rude to everyone (but thinks she's funny), and still manages to twist her ank
Brenda
Apr 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved Night Shift. It's a gritty, dark urban fantasy with demons, weres, and things that go crash in the night. The humor in the book alternates between black humor and dry wit, at least that is how I read it. It reminds me of the humor nurses and doctors that work in an emergency room develop. They do it because if they don't, the things they see overwhelm them, and they burn out. My husband has this sense of humor, so I know it well. The dry wit comes mostly from Saul, the were that sort of ...more
Elsiya
Jul 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Edit: I tried to pick up the following books and grew increasingly annoyed with the main character. still kickass but what a stupid person! Could my taste have changed so much? Maybe, but I also blame my tendency of being a great public for easy entertainment. Ah well.

Alright, I love that book.

Well what a way to start a review. Jill Kismet is former prostitute who turned her hell of a life by becoming a Hellbreed hunter. In purpose to gain more power, she made a deal with a sneaky Hellbreed and
Lori Whitwam
This is the first in a new series featuring Jill Kismet, a Hunter charged with helping control supernatural crime. That idea is not very original, but I'm waiting to see what the author does with it. I read her Dante Valentine series, and initially enjoyed it, but by book four I was just reading it "because." By the fifth and final book, I really didn't care what happened anymore. I'm hoping this series starts and stays strong, and proves to be an original take on the "keeping the humans safe fr ...more
Madison Mega-Mara...: #69-74 Jill Kismet series by Lilith Saintcrow 1 3 Apr 01, 2015 07:09PM
  • Pure Blood (Nocturne City, #2)
  • Staked (Void City, #1)
  • The Devil Inside (Morgan Kingsley #1)
  • Hard Magic (Paranormal Scene Investigations #1)
  • Three Days to Dead (Dreg City, #1)
  • Darkness Calls (Hunter Kiss, #2)
  • Dark Time (Mortal Path, #1)
  • Beg For Mercy (Mercy Hollings #1)
  • Embers (Anya Kalinczyk, #1)
  • Biting the Bullet (Jaz Parks, #3)
  • City of Souls (Signs of the Zodiac, #4)
  • Deadtown (Deadtown, #1)
  • Frost Moon (Skindancer, #1)
  • A Rush of Wings (The Maker's Song, #1)
  • Red Hot Fury (Shades of Fury, #1)
  • Skin Deep (Laura Blackstone, #1)
Lilith Saintcrow was born in New Mexico, bounced around the world as an Air Force brat, and fell in love with writing when she was ten years old. She lives in Vancouver, Washington, in a house full of stray cats and children.
More about Lilith Saintcrow...

Jill Kismet (6 books)
  • Hunter's Prayer (Jill Kismet, #2)
  • Redemption Alley (Jill Kismet, #3)
  • Flesh Circus (Jill Kismet, #4)
  • Heaven's Spite (Jill Kismet, #5)
  • Angel Town (Jill Kismet, #6)
“I'm getting really tired of bleeding. Someone stop the world, I want to get off.” 110 likes
“Sometimes you can pick who buys you, and for how much. That's what power really is.” 9 likes