Start by marking “Pride, Prejudice, and Curling Rocks” as Want to Read:
Pride, Prejudice, and Curling Rocks

Pride, Prejudice, and Curling Rocks

Darcy Bennet lives to be on the ice. When the other little girls were watching the Olympics and dreaming of figure-skating, she was dreaming of representing her country not with skates but with a broom.

At seventeen, Darcy still has Olympic dreams, but she has more immediate concerns. Like getting her team to Regionals, making sure she's accepted by the local college, and
Published December 26th 2011 by Hedgie Press (first published December 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Pride, Prejudice, and Curling Rocks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pride, Prejudice, and Curling Rocks

Erin L
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's young adult. It's quirky. I loved it. Darcy Bennett could really be a younger me. Back when I was young, idealistic and had curling dreams. I loved the curling detail. I loved the teen angst. I just loved this book.

If you're a curler and looking for a sweet, contemporary romance - this is a great option.
Anna
Feb 09, 2012 added it
Shelves: austenesque
Check out my review on Diary of an Eccentric
Erin
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, ya
I never can remember exactly where I get all the books for my to-read list. Sometimes they are actually picked by friends; sometimes I've pulled it off a random list on the internet without doing much research. If memory serves me correct, I think I picked this book from a list of spins on Austen's Pride and Prejudice. The concept is adorable. I have an only basic understanding of curling, thanks to the televised games at the Olympics, but it's a game that has captured my attention. The book is ...more
Serena
Oct 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary, romance
Getting into this book I knew nothing of Curling stones but I certainly found out about it. It was the first time I heard of it and it turned out to make the book stand out from others that use sports.

This is Darcy's story. She's a young girl that knows where she wants to be next year and what she wants to to be doing. She definitely wants to be curling and she wants to keep her best friend with her and for her to do that she needs to get Jean and Adam together. And here comes the obstacle to t
Melva
Jan 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
perfect YA for the young Janeite that curls in your life. A delightful read. Plus if you are not a curler( I am), you will learn about the sport.
Jessie
Feb 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: retelling, sports
This was pretty cute! The curling part of the book was what I was hoping for when I picked it up.

There are a ton of relationships that are important to this story, and they're very varied. Darcy feels an incredible amount of loyalty to her curling team, and that loyalty affects her choices and how she judges other people's choices. She spends a lot of time with her family (her brother, two half-brothers, mom, and stepdad) and often doesn't seem to like them, but those relationships improve over
Emma Marie Reads
This was so cute! I love a good Pride and Prejudice retelling, though often find them hit and miss. This one was perfect though. The plot has been changed enough that it's not a strict retelling, but all the elements of the original are there in one way or the other. The added aspect of curling was great too - and not only because it's my favourite winter sport to watch! By adding this, it makes the characters feel more well-rounded, allowing their lives (and the plot) to revolve around somethin ...more
Melody Daggerhart
Dec 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This week I had the pleasure of curling up with my blanket and herbal tea to read a YA romance novel about curling. No, I don't curl, and I generally don't like romance novels. To be honest, I didn't know how I would feel about this book when I started it. But I found it to be a delightful tale, and was even more than a little perturbed at my Kindle battery for dying on me toward the end because I was forced to wait for recharge before I could find out what happened. (Angst!)

The plot centers ar
Alissa
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-print
This was pretty cute! Especially if you have an interest in curling. A cute ya romance.
Georgiana 1792
Pride, Prejudice, and Curling Rocks è un retelling YA di Orgoglio e pregiudizio in cui la protagonista, Darcy Bennet è un'accanita giocatrice di curling, questo sport così antico ma di così recente approdo qui in Italia, dove lo abbiamo scoperto solo nelle più recenti Olimpiadi invernali.
Jean (Jane) non è la sorella di Darcy, ma la sua compagna di squadra (la skip, ovvero la regista) nonché migliore amica, mentre Lisa (Lydia) è la sorella più piccola di Jean e gioca assieme a loro. Il quarto el
Fremom3
Apr 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Cassandra Marshall
Jan 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I had the great pleasure of reading this several times and trust me when I say that each time I reread it, it got better! Even if you're not a fan of curling or if you don't know the rules, Brokaw does such an excellent job with her descriptions and explanations that it's totally easy to follow the sporting aspects of the book. Curling fans and players alike will delight in the details that bring the bonspiels to life.

But at the heart is an update of a beloved book that does the original justice
Wendy Sparrow
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-mg
While you don't need either a familiarity with Pride and Prejudice or Curling, it certainly adds to the experience if you have both. I found there was a bit of a learning curve with curling... which I've watched...but only at the Olympics and I've never played. On the other hand, I've read quite a few Pride and Prejudice retellings and this is one of my favorite. It wasn't exact on the plot twists but that was part of what made it fun. I kept waiting for those moments that tied-in to the classic ...more
Alix
Aug 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Strong 3.5
I really enjoyed this book. I had issues with it at first because I was spending too much trying to guess where the story was going. Once I stopped doing that, I started really loving the book. I really liked that while the author was inspired by Pride & Prejudice, it wasn't an exact retelling of the story in a different context. Sure you could pick out the characters from the novel and certain plot points but the story took it's own path and own storytelling. The characters became
Justin Bruno
Jun 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-kids
Going into this book I was simply expecting a cute little story to function as a palate cleanser after finally finishing the Song of Ice and Fire books. I certainly did not expect to be drawn into this novel about a young girl and her teenage angst as deeply as I was. The book started off feeling a bit clumsy both in it's introduction to the characters and in it's descriptions of the sport of curling, but about a third of the way through, once the scene had been properly set and the characters h ...more
Carla
Aug 26, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, own, 2014
It seems I prefer books inspired by Austen that stray from the original story while still retain some characteristics and scenes that are easily perceived.

I enjoyed reading it even if the main protagonist, Darcy, was a bit blind and got on my nerves. Lucas, on the other hand, is way sweeter than the original Mr. Darcy (yes, because here Lizzie is named Darcy Bennett *rolls eyes*). Also there's curling! \o/ It might be the only winter sport I like to watch even if I forget the rules from one year
AnandaTashie
Jan 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011
While I'm sure fans of Jane Austen and curling will naturally connect with the premise of this book, I must confess: I don't care for Jane Austen. I knew nothing of curling.

Yet...

I gave it a try and fell in love with the sweetness of this novel. It's a smooth-flowing, witty book about a (modern) girl who's growing up. She loves curling, she wants her best friend close, she's making plans for her future, but... what about that v.e.r.y. infuriating boy?

Warming read. Recommended for anyone who enj
Lea
Oct 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, romance, austenesque
Cute story about a high school girl, who's passion is curling. She struggles with her best friend wanting to leave their curling team and move across the country. Her emotions are torn between two boys. As a ya-romance, it was a cute love story.
3.5 stars (rounded to 4) because I don't think the similarities between this story "Pride and Prejudice" are strong enough to share part of a title, and I spent a good part of the book comparing who the characters were suppose to represent.
Mindy Woods
Oct 29, 2012 rated it liked it
If only I had more curling knowledge before reading this book! Such a interesting take on the classic. Loved the use text messages and e-mails in the book. Also loved that the names were a little mixed up, threw me at first, but Darcy and Lucas is still good. Loved that none foe the "Bennett" girls are related in this, but all still have their place in the overall story. Interesting twist and turns make this a fun P&P remake.
Amy
Mar 05, 2012 rated it did not like it
Interesting premise, but very disappointing. With any P & P remake, at least Darcy and Elizabeth should be redeemable so there's a reason for them to actually get together. The curling was confusing, but easy to get through if you don't care to learn more about it. Tons of typos, and unnecessary profanity that, in my opinion, makes characters all the more unappealing.
Feb 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Better than expected

I've read loads of retellings of pride and prejudice so I really didn't have huge expectations for this one. Andrea Brokaw certainly brought something new to it without it feeling hamfisted.
Amalia Dillin
Feb 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romantic
I really enjoyed this retelling of Pride and Prejudice BECAUSE it didn't follow P&P so precisely. Darcy made a great Elizabeth, and the twist on Mr. Darcy's relationship with his younger sister, Georgiana as reinterpreted in this book is really adorable.
Linda
Oct 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Fun, quick read. Is meant for young adults but enjoyed it anyway. Not sure that non-curlers would "get it" but for someone like me who enjoys the sport, it was great. Wasn't difficult to figure out where the story was going but Ms. Brokaw writes well.
Emi
Jan 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book and the different modern twist that this particular author used for Pride and Prejudice! It was a great read and was loosely based on the original storyline which i really enjoyed! It was funny, well written and a great read!
Briar
Sep 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Unusual YA romance and friendship story. Read in one day. Strong and sensible heroine and an adorable geek-boy hero. Plenty of nods to P&P without slavishly following the characterisation and storyline, which made it all the more enjoyable.
Fermentum
Cute
Madhavi Ghare
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good fun!

Any retelling of Pride and Prejudice gets me going. And this one is a good, fun read for those crazy winter afternoon with all the snow piling up...
Elaine
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This story was more for teens who would like a modern take on P&P. Not my cup of tea!
Brooke Johnson
Aug 25, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5*
Liv Rancourt
Aug 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
I don't usually read YA, but the clever title drew me in and I'm glad it did. I thought it was an absolutely charming read. Bravo!
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Andrea Brokaw generally prefers to be called Andy. She's a dreamer, a skier, a curler, an NFL fan, and a homeschooling mom. As a Navy brat and then a Navy wife, she's lived on three continents, in four countries, in seven states, and in fourteen towns. (Or something like that. She loses count.) She has two cats and a eleven-year-old boy.

Andy has a collection of acronyms, including GAD, ADHD, and P