Start by marking “Change (Kitsune #1)” as Want to Read:
Change (Kitsune #1)

Change

(Kitsune #1)

A sudden life threatening injury turns Nickie’s world on its ear, but not in a way she ever would have predicted. Nickie finds out that not only do shape-shifters exist, but she is one. The Kitsune are a race of shape-shifters that have been living in secret alongside humans for centuries. As Nickie struggles to master her newly discovered shape-shifting and the abilities ...more
ebook
Published January 14th 2012 (first published January 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Change, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Change

Roxanne Rhoads
May 29, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am confused- a Kitsune is a fox creature but all the covers have wolves and so far I'm finding it to "shape-shifters" but not a fox in sight.

I don't understand why someone would take a mythology term then completely ignore it and use it as they see fit.

A lot of authors borrow from myths and legends but in the end the werewolf is still a werewolf and the vampire is still a vampire, authors just put new spins on old mythology.

If I continue to read this and there's no mention of a Kitsune having
Shaineinok
Jan 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
First book available and written by a great friend! Can't wait to read it. :)

I really enjoyed this story about a girl who learns she's a shapeshifter and how to deal with it.
T.
May 21, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so all those customer service training classes you ever had to take? Where the customer service rep listens to the customer's problem, then rephrases and repeats the problem back to you? Yep, that's THIS book. It got frustrating after awhile to read a situation, then have it repeated again, and sometimes (in case we didn't get it) again. Most of the dialogue could have been removed and replaced with "and she relayed the events that happened earlier" (but no, the author almost verbatim repe ...more
PamG
This was an enjoyable and quick paranormal romance book. The main character is likeable and I can see her growing in depth in subsequent books. However, the use of "Kitsune" is confusing to me. I believe this typically means fox in Japanese. While this story mentions various animal forms for shifters, the main form in the story line is wolf. Additionally, there were numerous misspelled words, as well as grammar and sentence structure issues that detracted from the flow of the story in the kindle ...more
Susan
Jul 10, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was so full of mundane, repetitive tasks that I thought I was going to scream. It took about five pages of the book to contain all of the interesting stuff. Most of it was what she was cooking, and always the same thing: grilled steak and baked potato. An the washing of the potato, and the thawing of the steak. Or, what she was trying to decide to wear, or to buy to wear. Ugh!

I am soooo disappointed, because I love the shape-shifter theme. I guess the first books I read on the subject
Kristal Mcclure
Jul 14, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The vast amount of grammatical errors, spelling mistakes, and sheer redundancy made getting through this book extremely difficult. Why did the author release her work in such shabby condition? The plot was weak. This author clearly never learned that a plot must have a climax. The story just kept going with nothing happening. I kept reading it, hoping that the nearly endless character Development would lead to the characters doing something- anything. This book was a disappointment. I hope the a ...more
LMR
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to LMR by: Melissa Stevens & Booksprout
Change (Kitsune #1) by Melissa Stevens Change (Kitsune Book 1) By: Melissa Stevens
Here's To "Change," It's Off To A Promising Start!!
"Change" can be Good, "Change" can be Scary, & Sometimes "Change" can Even be Hairy...
At least that's what she's finding out after going through an Unexpected "Change!"
Now, she's navigating Powers, Pack, & Secrets...
All while learning that to "Change" means MORE than Meets the Eye...
Will Her Family accept the "Change" with Grace, or Run away with Distaste...
Because, Not Everything with the "C
Molly
Nov 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: alternative fantasy/romance fans
Recommended to Molly by: Booksprout
On a typical weekend hike with a buddy from childhood, Nickie finds herself bitten by a rattlesnake.

In order to heal itself, her body changes. Boom. This orphan raised in a family of mostly humans funds out she is a shifter. PS she has an adopted brother who is a shaman.

All of a sudden, she sees, hears and smells the word differently. In more ways than one, really. She realizes she is a telepath, and can hear and understand many others, and call or stop a shift.

Thanks to a long time friend of
Larissa
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Catch it in full at ♀ Bookworm

You know those movies that startup super slowly up until the middle of the story, and then picks up in a higher speed? Change is that movie. That movie you are watching but on your phone most of the time, waiting for things to heat up, and when it does you’re 5 minutes away from ending credits. Change, in theory, was awesome. The execution was boring, and when things started to get better you are hit in the face by a blank page saying “the end”. Not at all satisfyin
Karen L Ledee
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While hiking with her friend Brandon, Nicki is bitten by a rattlesnake. She tried not to panic when her body felt different and she wasn’t feeling the effects of the venom. That’s when she realized she was in a wolf form. Apparently some dormant genes activated allowing her body to shift. You follow along to witness her learning process being a shifter but also how she develops her gifted abilities. It was nicely written. I generally do not read much in the pnl genre, but I enjoyed this book.
I
Deb
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good story with a paranormal aspect. She was a strong character who carries the story. I found the revealing information as written by the author to be very interesting. I liked hiw her character evolved over the course of the story. I was surprised that the author did what she did with her friend though. But it provided drama and interest where it was needed. I also liked her interest in her father's employee. He was a bit mysterious as is her background. Hopefully we'll read more in the next ...more
Scarolet Ellis
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Change by Melissa Stevens is a wonderful story to read. This is a wonderful start to a new series, I loved reading this story a lot. I love reading about shape shifters and this is a wonderful story to read can not wait to read the next book. I highly recommend this story to everyone who loves shape shifter stories.

Ann aka Iftcan
Ok, I'm going to say right up front--there are no werefoxes in this book. From the series title, I'd expected fox shifters, but when they turned out to be wolves, I was OK with it.

This is the first story where Nickie, at the tender age of only 28 suddenly learns that she's a shapeshifter. Darn those rattlesnakes and their life changing attacks.

Still, I enjoyed the book. It's a short novel and an interesting world. Definitely worth checking out the next book.
Minga Dotson
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A different look at a shifter society, and how members are treated.

A woman who had been adopted as a child shifts into a wolf after a snake bite, surprising her and leading to many changes in her life as she is introduced to others of her kind. Mild romance, no hot scenes, and it leaves you wanting to continue to the next book. A couple of irritating typos and grammar errors, but that did not lessen the enjoyment in the tale.
Deborah Yunevich
I enjoyed this book

Nikki is bitten by a snake while out on a hike. This triggers her wolf, something she wasn't aware she had, and opens a whole new world. This world is led by someone she had known her whole life. I like the interaction between the characters and am interested to see how this will continue.
Tanya
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
She is bitten by a rattlesnake and she is about to learn she is not who she thought it was. She is a shapeshifter and now she learns everyone around her has been keeping secrets from her. She also needs to learn what she can do. What will she learn? See what she does

Theresa Scarangella
This is a story of Nickie and she turns into a werewolf and Deven who helps her adjust. It was a good story but for me In needed more. The book spent a lot of time explaining the art of being a werewolf and the people in the town. There was no action and no love scenes. This is the first book I read by Melissa Stevens and I would like to give her another chance by reading something else by her.
Resa
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book

I really liked this book. I loved Nickie and Devon. It was a great read. I always loved fantasy books with a kick butt main character and that is what Nickie was. There wasnt a whole lot of action in the book but you still got to see the strength in Nickie. Plus the way she stood up to... Well lets not spoil it. But breaking his nose was amazing.
Wolfgirl18
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay... I really liked this book. It took me a few days to read it I am enjoying how this book is playing out. Finding out she's not who she thought she was. Changing relationships some good,some bad. I can't wait to read more of this series. It's becoming addictive.

Chrisette Trevino
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
This book is the story of a young adopted woman who is shocked when she finds out she isn't human but kitsune. It's a fast moving story that's full of intrigue and worth reading. I can't wait to read the next book in the series !

Danny L Walling
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great YA Book

It took nearly the whole book to have a kiss, that should have happened alot sooner. Also, what happened to her best friend that hit her. I was waiting for some kick ass? A very good YA book.
Elizabeth Presley
I loved this book from the start i read it all in one seting it kept me in the book to end
Thank you for the opportunity to read this book and to review it

Misterg
Please; this needs proff-reeding (sic!)
Your: Belonging to You
You're: You are.
These are not interchangeable.
And, as others have said, there is a lot of repetition.

There is enough to make me want to finish... and I'm reading the second one now. Lack of Kindle Unlimited may be the breaker for Kit3. We'll see
Lucinda
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great shapeshifter book and I loved it!! It was well written and very engaging. I would recommend it to others!

Kathleen Bradbury (Bulfon)
Extremely entertaining, captivating and interesting sexy read. I could not put it down. Wonderfully written with strong, intriguing characters. I want to read more from this author.

Pat
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The good storyline and the interesting characters kept my interest throughout the entire book! I look forward to reading more from this author!
Myra Wray
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again I have found a good book in this story. I found it hard to put it down until the end.
Dee
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable!

Not quite what I usually read but it grabs you and sucks you in to all the new, weird and interesting lives of shifters. I really enjoyed it!
pamela k cronister
Interesting concept

I like the way that her character comes into being and then learns that she has all these additional powers that no one else has
Christian Jeffress
Fun

This was a fun and enjoyable read me, though I admit it took me a few chapters for me to really get into the book
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Luna's Sokjan (Book one)
  • Forgotten Enemy (The Powers Of Influence, #1)
  • Draw One in the Dark (Shifters, #1)
  • The Problem with Black Magic (The Familiar Series, #1)
  • Dreams of Gray (The Marked Clan, #1)
  • Broken (Daughters of the Jaguar, #2)
  • Blue Moon Rising (The Patroness, #1)
  • Hidden Crimes (Hidden, #2)
  • Instinctive (Eternal Pleasure, #1)
  • The Crimson League (Herezoth, #1)
  • Claws and Effect (Diaries of an Urban Panther, #2)
  • Embrace the Night (Night #1)
  • The Ghost of Josiah Grimshaw (Morgan Sisters, #1)
  • Baehrly Beginning (Goldie Locke and the Were Bears 0.5)
  • Green Eyed Envy (Shades of Fury, #2)
  • Shooting Stars (A Surah Stormsong Novel, #1)
  • The Marenon Chronicles Collection (The Marenon Chronicles, #1-3)
  • Yours, Mine and Howls (Werewolves in Love, #2)

Melissa Stevens has penned more than twenty five novels and novellas to date. She was part of the Wicked After Dark anthology which hit #13 on the New York Times Bestsellers list and is working hard for a repeat performance.

With books coming out frequently, the best way to keep on top of what Melissa's doing is to sign up for her VIP Reader List at http://bit.ly/2zeTIoF

Melissa lives in Arizo