Start by marking “The Last Innocent Hour” as Want to Read:

The Last Innocent Hour

Something twisted is stalking the Cunningham family. It lurks at the periphery of Beth's vision. Her husband Charlie can't help, if she could even remember him; he's doing time for a murder he didn't commit. The small child Beth was found with, whom she doesn't know either, was taken to foster care. There isn't much time now. If Beth doesn't recall the hideous events that ...more
Published November 11th 2011 (first published November 13th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Innocent Hour, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Innocent Hour

Sue
Jun 28, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels, romance
I got this book as a free download and was initially intrigued because the description compared Barbara Taylor Sissel to Daphne Du Maurier. I, therefore, was expecting some ghostly influences. Well, the characters are indeed haunted but not by ghosts. They each have a backstory of emotional and sexual abuse and have come together to create murderous tension. Like a Shakespearean tragedy many lives are threatened and/or end at some point. Like a Joyce Carol Oates story, the dysfunctional family m ...more
Lori Henrich
Mar 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Beth reluctantly returns home to help her mom. She left because of something that happened between her stepfather and herself. She tried to tell her mom at the time, but her mother's drinking problem wouldn't allow her to trust what Beth was saying. Now Beth is returning with her husband and child in tow. She will have to confront her past and to finally tell her husband the truth about her past.

The story keeps you wondering what will happen next. Not sure why I am giving three stars, but someth
Trudy J. Estes
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
This could have been a good story

But the plot was conflicting and implausible in numerous places. The overall storyline was good and I did desire to know what happened enough to finish the book. However, the outright stupidity of the almost all of the characters thoughts and actions prevent the reader from being invested in either them or the outcome. The explicit use of sexual references in the story - while supporting the twisted mental state of one character - was unnecessary and contrived an
Nenette
Aug 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I couldn't put this book down, and so finished it in a few hours on a rainy Sunday. It has a good balance of drama and suspense, and a creative storyline that enhanced what would rather be an ordinary plot that's got a potential for afternoon soap.

The story is about confronting the trauma of a cruel past, going through another hell of a suffering because of a corrupt system, and overcoming everything to preserve as much of one's self and loved ones as much as possible, and move on. In the end, g
Gayle
Jul 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
Shallow characterizations

Beth and husband return to Beth's home and immediately are involved in a murder. The action moved very fast, the problem was the characters were not developed and lacked depth.
Alison Offerdal
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Page turner

I really enjoyed this novel. When Beth returns to her childhood home, her past comes back to reclaim her and her family. A psychological thriller with a few tweaks STIs and turns that will keep you hooked till the end.
bonnie kirchner
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Last Innocent Hour

Great suspense. Really enjoyed the book. Good storyline. I recommend this book. It was a good thriller which kept you wondering how things would work out.
Nancy Osberg-otrembiak
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I thought this was the best of Sissel's books i have read so far. Ive read 6, with 3 to go. That will be a sad day if the are no more waiting!!
Thank you, Ms. Sissel-- your books are perfect.
Cheryl
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-read

I am a big fan of this author, having read many of her books, FAULTLINES, CROOKED LITTLE LIES, SAFE KEEPING, EVIDENCE OF LIFE, THE VOLUNTEER, THE NINTH STEP. Recently I was going through my Kindle and found that I had this title and I hadn't read it. How I missed that is beyond me.

Beth Clayton Cunningham returns to her family's farm at her mother's request after being away for many years due to an incident with and secrets about her stepfather. Her, her husband and daughter arrive and old feelin
Elizabeth Noah Astle
Nicola
Despite knowing who the killer was, I still found that Taylor Sissel was able to create a bit of mystery. I wanted to know what was going to happen next, and how they were going to resolve the issues. I found the heroine to be underdeveloped, despite the potential for her character. I found the background knowledge to be lacking, even though it was neccessary to the storyline. The only character I truly liked was Charlie - and even he was underdeveloped.
There is a lot of potential in this story
Mandy Billiter
Apr 20, 2016 rated it did not like it
Couldn't bring myself to finish it!

I forced myself to read up to chapter 44, but I just could not go on. This, the whole thing, just terrible. The writing was amateur at best. The plot, ridiculous, even for this genre. The editor clearly phoned it in. I found tons of errors which derailed every attempt at trying to buy into the story. I can't think of any other book I've quit, especially so far in...it's that bad. I read Crooked Little Lies by the same author, and while it wasn't a great book it
Pamela
Mar 02, 2012 rated it liked it
This was a very fast-paced book. I will admit that the author threw in a couple unnecessary side stories, and I found myself skimming through these. I knew from the start who the bad guy was, but the story line kept me interested enough to keep going and see if they caught him.
Michelle Hite
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Mediocre

The Last Innocent Hour is an overall good read with good plot. However, the author should have been more descriptive in parts. For example, the main murder scene is brief and leaves the reader wondering what just happened.
PinkAmy loves  \u0026#x1f495; books\u0026#x1f4d6;, cats\u0026#x1f63b; and naps\u0026#x1f6cf;
Have you ever paid 99 cents for a book and felt ripped off? I couldn't get into this novel. I read about 10 chapters and surrendered. The writing was mediocre, the dialogue awful, the characters bland and I couldn't force myself to read another page.
Lou Grantt
Jul 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one kept me on the edge of my seat. I read it in a few hours, even during dinner. Intense, relentless.
Jackie M
More like 2.5 stars. I didn't really like any of the characters and found myself skimming throughout the book.
Courtney
Mary Cain
Sep 07, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
Horrible!
Jennifer Jordan
Aug 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Ok

I didn't like this one nearly as much as another she wrote. It dragged on in some parts and didn't seem to end properly. Too many story lines started and not finished.
Tammy
Jul 10, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an ok read. I liked the story idea but felt it could have been written a lot better.
Jill
Oct 05, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
too many loose ends.
Michelle
Aug 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shocking moments

Definitely did not see some of the plot twists coming. Small town politics, greed and love gone bad. Fast read.
Mary
Oct 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
intriguing, captivating - great for a car ride read!!!
cheryl holland
rated it it was ok
Dec 01, 2014
  • The Scavenger's Daughter: A Tyler West Mystery
  • Fancy Gap
  • Cooking the Books (Sloane Templeton Mysteries #1)
  • Pinpoint
  • Celia's Journey
  • In The Name Of The Father
  • Shades of Gray
  • All for One
  • Night Corridor
  • Pompomberry House
  • Anatomy (Harbinger Mystery, #0.5)
  • Under Your Skin
  • Blood Alley (The Highwayman #1)
  • A Circle in the Woods
  • The View from Here
  • The Baby Thief
  • Superman's Cape
  • The Lonely Mile
Barbara Taylor Sissel writes issue oriented, upmarket women’s fiction that is threaded with elements of suspense and defined by its particular emphasis on how crime affects the family. She is the author of seven novels, THE TRUTH WE BURY (coming July 25, 2017) FAULTLINES, CROOKED LITTLE LIES, SAFE KEEPING, EVIDENCE 0F LIFE, THE NINTH STEP, THE VOLUNTEER, and THE LAST INNOCENT HOUR.

Born in Honolulu